Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Pickles

  1. #1
    The Cook Guest

    Default Pickles

    Just started a batch of Mrs. Wage's sweet pickles. I am using the
    long version this time. I think I will try the Pickle Crisp for the
    next batch.

    When I was at a family reunion a couple of weeks ago I tried some of
    the pickles there and asked who made them. I found out who and she
    said, "I use the recipe on the Mrs. Wage's bag."
    --
    Susan N.

    "Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral,
    48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
    Vittorio De Sica, Italian movie director (1901-1974)

  2. #2
    Serene Vannoy Guest

    Default Re: Pickles

    On 06/29/2011 07:56 AM, The Cook wrote:
    > Just started a batch of Mrs. Wage's sweet pickles.


    LOVE sweet pickles!

    Today, my dills have been in the bucket for 9 days, and they smell great
    so far. I'm impatient, but in a week or two, we should have tasty
    pickles. I hope.

    Serene
    --
    "Sex is just one of many pleasurable activities. I don't think of it as
    special--sometimes I'd rather read a book. Where are the rules about
    reading?" -- Kai on alt.poly


    http://www.momfoodproject.com

  3. #3
    Melba's Jammin' Guest

    Default Re: Pickles

    In article <[email protected]>,
    The Cook <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Just started a batch of Mrs. Wage's sweet pickles. I am using the
    > long version this time. I think I will try the Pickle Crisp for the
    > next batch.
    >
    > When I was at a family reunion a couple of weeks ago I tried some of
    > the pickles there and asked who made them. I found out who and she
    > said, "I use the recipe on the Mrs. Wage's bag."


    Gherkins or more like a b & b?

    --
    Barb,
    Creamed Cornbread, June 13, 2011; http://web.me.com/barbschaller

  4. #4
    The Cook Guest

    Default Re: Pickles

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 19:55:44 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>,
    > The Cook <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Just started a batch of Mrs. Wage's sweet pickles. I am using the
    >> long version this time. I think I will try the Pickle Crisp for the
    >> next batch.
    >>
    >> When I was at a family reunion a couple of weeks ago I tried some of
    >> the pickles there and asked who made them. I found out who and she
    >> said, "I use the recipe on the Mrs. Wage's bag."

    >
    >Gherkins or more like a b & b?


    More like a gherkin but sliced. George makes them. The ones I ate at
    the reunion were not translucent and were crisp. I tried to make a
    recipe I used before we moved here. They were cooked until they were
    translucent. Can't get them to work here. It takes forever to get
    them translucent, not crisp and the syrup is too thick. Probably the
    altitude. Previously live at sea level. Now my house is at 1100'+. I
    am looking for recipes for the whole sweet pickles. Heinz made them
    but I haven't located them recently. Luckily my local grocery has a
    store brand that is just about the same. We use them for potato salad
    and kidney bean salad.

    Got to find the water bath pan and wash jars. Then start to heat them
    up. They have been sitting in the syrup overnight.

    --
    Susan N.

    "Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral,
    48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
    Vittorio De Sica, Italian movie director (1901-1974)

  5. #5
    Nyssa Guest

    Default Re: Pickles

    The Cook wrote:

    > On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 19:55:44 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>In article <[email protected]>,
    >> The Cook <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Just started a batch of Mrs. Wage's sweet pickles. I am using the
    >>> long version this time. I think I will try the Pickle Crisp for the
    >>> next batch.
    >>>
    >>> When I was at a family reunion a couple of weeks ago I tried some of
    >>> the pickles there and asked who made them. I found out who and she
    >>> said, "I use the recipe on the Mrs. Wage's bag."

    >>
    >>Gherkins or more like a b & b?

    >
    > More like a gherkin but sliced. George makes them. The ones I ate at
    > the reunion were not translucent and were crisp. I tried to make a
    > recipe I used before we moved here. They were cooked until they were
    > translucent. Can't get them to work here. It takes forever to get
    > them translucent, not crisp and the syrup is too thick. Probably the
    > altitude. Previously live at sea level. Now my house is at 1100'+. I
    > am looking for recipes for the whole sweet pickles. Heinz made them
    > but I haven't located them recently. Luckily my local grocery has a
    > store brand that is just about the same. We use them for potato salad
    > and kidney bean salad.
    >
    > Got to find the water bath pan and wash jars. Then start to heat them
    > up. They have been sitting in the syrup overnight.
    >

    Years ago I made several types of pickles, but I never tried sweet
    pickles. Considering that I like sweet pickles the best, it's probably
    because I never found a recipe that I felt looked like what I wanted
    to end up with.

    If anyone does have or find a non-brined sweet pickle (preferably for
    whole cukes) recipe, please post it. I'd love to give it a try this
    year assuming my gherkin puts out enough cucumbers in spite of our
    moderate drought.

    Nyssa, who scored big yesterday finding Pickle Crisp, the jar of Ball
    pectin, storage lids both regular and wide, a marked down jar of Fruit
    Fresh and capped it off with a new BH&G Canning magazine


  6. #6
    George Shirley Guest

    Default Re: Pickles

    On 6/30/2011 7:53 AM, Nyssa wrote:
    > The Cook wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 19:55:44 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> In article<[email protected] >,
    >>> The Cook<[email protected]> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Just started a batch of Mrs. Wage's sweet pickles. I am using the
    >>>> long version this time. I think I will try the Pickle Crisp for the
    >>>> next batch.
    >>>>
    >>>> When I was at a family reunion a couple of weeks ago I tried some of
    >>>> the pickles there and asked who made them. I found out who and she
    >>>> said, "I use the recipe on the Mrs. Wage's bag."
    >>>
    >>> Gherkins or more like a b& b?

    >>
    >> More like a gherkin but sliced. George makes them. The ones I ate at
    >> the reunion were not translucent and were crisp. I tried to make a
    >> recipe I used before we moved here. They were cooked until they were
    >> translucent. Can't get them to work here. It takes forever to get
    >> them translucent, not crisp and the syrup is too thick. Probably the
    >> altitude. Previously live at sea level. Now my house is at 1100'+. I
    >> am looking for recipes for the whole sweet pickles. Heinz made them
    >> but I haven't located them recently. Luckily my local grocery has a
    >> store brand that is just about the same. We use them for potato salad
    >> and kidney bean salad.
    >>
    >> Got to find the water bath pan and wash jars. Then start to heat them
    >> up. They have been sitting in the syrup overnight.
    >>

    > Years ago I made several types of pickles, but I never tried sweet
    > pickles. Considering that I like sweet pickles the best, it's probably
    > because I never found a recipe that I felt looked like what I wanted
    > to end up with.
    >
    > If anyone does have or find a non-brined sweet pickle (preferably for
    > whole cukes) recipe, please post it. I'd love to give it a try this
    > year assuming my gherkin puts out enough cucumbers in spite of our
    > moderate drought.
    >
    > Nyssa, who scored big yesterday finding Pickle Crisp, the jar of Ball
    > pectin, storage lids both regular and wide, a marked down jar of Fruit
    > Fresh and capped it off with a new BH&G Canning magazine
    >

    Here's one way to do them: http://tinyurl.com/6l5ez5s

    Go to the UGA website: http://tinyurl.com/9fy34
    and you will find a world of advice on making sweet pickles. As a
    diabetic I now make my sweet pickles with Splenda and no one seems to be
    able to tell it isn't real sugar.

    I've not tried to do whole sweet pickles, probably because I like them
    sliced better. I do make luncheon spears quite often but they are dilled
    and not sweet.

  7. #7
    The Cook Guest

    Default Re: Pickles

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 10:56:59 -0400, The Cook <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Just started a batch of Mrs. Wage's sweet pickles. I am using the
    >long version this time. I think I will try the Pickle Crisp for the
    >next batch.
    >
    >When I was at a family reunion a couple of weeks ago I tried some of
    >the pickles there and asked who made them. I found out who and she
    >said, "I use the recipe on the Mrs. Wage's bag."



    The pickles are done. I processed 9 pints and put 1 quart in the
    refrigerator. The quart does not have much syrup. They are nice and
    crisp but the flavor is not bad, but not quite what I want. I think I
    will use this recipe for the procedure and use the syrup from my older
    recipe. They are not too different. Mrs. Wage's recipe did not
    mention putting the pickling spices in cheesecloth and I did not think
    about it. I tried to keep most of the spices out.
    --
    Susan N.

    "Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral,
    48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
    Vittorio De Sica, Italian movie director (1901-1974)

  8. #8
    George Shirley Guest

    Default Re: Pickles

    On 6/30/2011 10:43 AM, The Cook wrote:
    > On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 10:56:59 -0400, The Cook<[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Just started a batch of Mrs. Wage's sweet pickles. I am using the
    >> long version this time. I think I will try the Pickle Crisp for the
    >> next batch.
    >>
    >> When I was at a family reunion a couple of weeks ago I tried some of
    >> the pickles there and asked who made them. I found out who and she
    >> said, "I use the recipe on the Mrs. Wage's bag."

    >
    >
    > The pickles are done. I processed 9 pints and put 1 quart in the
    > refrigerator. The quart does not have much syrup. They are nice and
    > crisp but the flavor is not bad, but not quite what I want. I think I
    > will use this recipe for the procedure and use the syrup from my older
    > recipe. They are not too different. Mrs. Wage's recipe did not
    > mention putting the pickling spices in cheesecloth and I did not think
    > about it. I tried to keep most of the spices out.

    The original sweet pickle recipe I use doesn't call for a spice bag so I
    always just dumped the spices in when I was cooking the pickles.
    Nowadays I use a spice bag and, I think, it keeps the spice flavors from
    getting to intense.

    I no longer do the lime soak, pickle crisp is so much easier and you get
    the same crispness. Thank you Jardin/Ball/Bernadin.

  9. #9
    The Cook Guest

    Default Re: Pickles

    On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 11:40:55 -0500, George Shirley
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On 6/30/2011 10:43 AM, The Cook wrote:
    >> On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 10:56:59 -0400, The Cook<[email protected]>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Just started a batch of Mrs. Wage's sweet pickles. I am using the
    >>> long version this time. I think I will try the Pickle Crisp for the
    >>> next batch.
    >>>
    >>> When I was at a family reunion a couple of weeks ago I tried some of
    >>> the pickles there and asked who made them. I found out who and she
    >>> said, "I use the recipe on the Mrs. Wage's bag."

    >>
    >>
    >> The pickles are done. I processed 9 pints and put 1 quart in the
    >> refrigerator. The quart does not have much syrup. They are nice and
    >> crisp but the flavor is not bad, but not quite what I want. I think I
    >> will use this recipe for the procedure and use the syrup from my older
    >> recipe. They are not too different. Mrs. Wage's recipe did not
    >> mention putting the pickling spices in cheesecloth and I did not think
    >> about it. I tried to keep most of the spices out.

    >The original sweet pickle recipe I use doesn't call for a spice bag so I
    >always just dumped the spices in when I was cooking the pickles.
    >Nowadays I use a spice bag and, I think, it keeps the spice flavors from
    >getting to intense.
    >
    >I no longer do the lime soak, pickle crisp is so much easier and you get
    >the same crispness. Thank you Jardin/Ball/Bernadin.


    Do I just forget the prep up to adding to syrup and the heat or cook
    and put in a jar with Pickle Crisp? I won't forget to wash and slice
    the cukes.

    If it is that easy I will try a few batches and see if DH can tell the
    difference.
    --
    Susan N.

    "Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral,
    48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
    Vittorio De Sica, Italian movie director (1901-1974)

  10. #10
    George Shirley Guest

    Default Re: Pickles

    On 6/30/2011 1:25 PM, The Cook wrote:
    > On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 11:40:55 -0500, George Shirley
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> On 6/30/2011 10:43 AM, The Cook wrote:
    >>> On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 10:56:59 -0400, The Cook<[email protected]>
    >>> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Just started a batch of Mrs. Wage's sweet pickles. I am using the
    >>>> long version this time. I think I will try the Pickle Crisp for the
    >>>> next batch.
    >>>>
    >>>> When I was at a family reunion a couple of weeks ago I tried some of
    >>>> the pickles there and asked who made them. I found out who and she
    >>>> said, "I use the recipe on the Mrs. Wage's bag."
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> The pickles are done. I processed 9 pints and put 1 quart in the
    >>> refrigerator. The quart does not have much syrup. They are nice and
    >>> crisp but the flavor is not bad, but not quite what I want. I think I
    >>> will use this recipe for the procedure and use the syrup from my older
    >>> recipe. They are not too different. Mrs. Wage's recipe did not
    >>> mention putting the pickling spices in cheesecloth and I did not think
    >>> about it. I tried to keep most of the spices out.

    >> The original sweet pickle recipe I use doesn't call for a spice bag so I
    >> always just dumped the spices in when I was cooking the pickles.
    >> Nowadays I use a spice bag and, I think, it keeps the spice flavors from
    >> getting to intense.
    >>
    >> I no longer do the lime soak, pickle crisp is so much easier and you get
    >> the same crispness. Thank you Jardin/Ball/Bernadin.

    >
    > Do I just forget the prep up to adding to syrup and the heat or cook
    > and put in a jar with Pickle Crisp? I won't forget to wash and slice
    > the cukes.
    >
    > If it is that easy I will try a few batches and see if DH can tell the
    > difference.

    Here's the recipe as I adapted it for the use of Pickle Crisp:
    Sweet pickles

    Use cukes or green tomatoes. 8.5 lbs before trimming, 7 lbs sliced.

    Syrup: 5 pints vinegar, 5 lbs sugar, 5 tablespoons pickling spice. Bring
    syrup to a boil. Pour over pickles-to-be, then let them sit overnight.
    Next morning strain off the syrup, then bring to a boil and simmer 1
    hour. Add 4-6 drops of green food coloring for a nice looking pickle.
    Put required amount of calcium chloride in the heated jars then pack
    pickles in jars, pour the hot syrup over them, seal and boiling water
    bath for 5 minutes. Makes about 8 quarts or 16 pints.

    Let the jars sit on a shelf in a dark room for three weeks to allow the
    CACL to work its magic and crisp up the pickles.

    No more prep than making any other pickle, completely eliminates the two
    or three days that are used for the lime soak, all the rinsing, etc.
    I've made two batches this way and they both came out just fine. All
    gone right now so I'm hoping to make some more next week, looks like our
    cukes are doing us proud at the moment.

    Note: I make them with cucumbers whereas the original recipe called for
    green tomatoes. The few times we have had an excess of tomatoes I have
    made them with the green ones and they came out very good also. Hope
    this helps.


  11. #11
    toolsforkitchen Guest

    Default Re: Pickles


    Hi, Susan.

    I jarred pickled hot pepper slices last year and was disappointed that
    they were completely soft and not at all crispy. You mention Pickle
    Crisp here. Does a product like that always need to be included in the
    recipe to ensure crisp vegetables? Last summer's canning was my first
    round at it. I'd like to try it again this year -- with better
    results.

    Any advice would be appreciated.

    The Cook;1631695 Wrote:
    > Just started a batch of Mrs. Wage's sweet pickles. I am using the
    > long version this time. I think I will try the Pickle Crisp for the
    > next batch.
    >
    >





    --
    toolsforkitchen

  12. #12
    George Shirley Guest

    Default Re: Pickles

    On 6/30/2011 3:50 PM, toolsforkitchen wrote:
    > Hi, Susan.
    >
    > I jarred pickled hot pepper slices last year and was disappointed that
    > they were completely soft and not at all crispy. You mention Pickle
    > Crisp here. Does a product like that always need to be included in the
    > recipe to ensure crisp vegetables? Last summer's canning was my first
    > round at it. I'd like to try it again this year -- with better
    > results.
    >
    > Any advice would be appreciated.

    I'm not Susan but I would advise you to use Pickle Crisp if you want
    crisp pickles of any kind. Hot chiles won't crisp up on their own but
    the Pickle Crisp will make them somewhat more crisp. Just follow the
    directions on the Pickle Crisp container. You have to let them sit for
    three weeks in order to get a crisp product. Good luck with your
    canning, it's lots of fun and after a bit you will probably start
    altering standard recipes to fit you and your family's taste. Just be
    sure you follow the USDA protocols to ensure a safe product.

    Our figs are coming in so slow and scarce we're making two pints of fig
    jam at a time. This time last year we were making fourteen or more pints
    at a time. Drought doesn't help matters.

  13. #13
    Melba's Jammin' Guest

    Default Re: Pickles

    In article <iuhrme$b46$[email protected]>, Nyssa <[email protected]>
    wrote:
    > Nyssa, who scored big yesterday finding Pickle Crisp, the jar of Ball
    > pectin, storage lids both regular and wide, a marked down jar of Fruit
    > Fresh and capped it off with a new BH&G Canning magazine


    Mercy! I'm getting the vapors over all that, Nyssa.
    --
    Barb,
    Creamed Cornbread, June 13, 2011; http://web.me.com/barbschaller

  14. #14
    Nyssa Guest

    Default Re: Pickles

    George Shirley wrote:

    >>

    > Here's one way to do them: http://tinyurl.com/6l5ez5s
    >
    > Go to the UGA website: http://tinyurl.com/9fy34
    > and you will find a world of advice on making sweet pickles. As a
    > diabetic I now make my sweet pickles with Splenda and no one seems to be
    > able to tell it isn't real sugar.
    >
    > I've not tried to do whole sweet pickles, probably because I like them
    > sliced better. I do make luncheon spears quite often but they are dilled
    > and not sweet.


    Thanks for the reply, George.

    The first link was to a recipe type I'm trying to avoid. There is
    no place in this house that will be 70 degrees or under until late
    October. lol I simply don't have the space or inclination to spend
    two weeks dumping and soaking pickles in any case. I need something
    that cuts that piece of the puzzle out of the recipe.

    I already have the UGA site bookmarked and remember to look it over
    occasionally. I usually depend more on my BBB and other canning books
    since I can do that offline instead of tying up the phone line.

    The Splenda note started an idea though. I've got a diabetic friend
    who loves jalapenos, which I grow for him. I'm thinking of doing him
    up a batch of jalapeno pickles of some variety if I end up with the
    overload of peppers as I had last summer. Any suggestions for a recipe
    or seasonings would be helpful. Maybe an onion and jalapeno pickle mix?

    Nyssa, who has most of the canning stuff gathered and is hoping the garden
    doesn't disappoint this year


  15. #15
    Nyssa Guest

    Default Re: Pickles

    Melba's Jammin' wrote:

    > In article <iuhrme$b46$[email protected]>, Nyssa <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >> Nyssa, who scored big yesterday finding Pickle Crisp, the jar of Ball
    >> pectin, storage lids both regular and wide, a marked down jar of Fruit
    >> Fresh and capped it off with a new BH&G Canning magazine

    >
    > Mercy! I'm getting the vapors over all that, Nyssa.


    LOL! That's why I do a Big City run once a month to get stuff that I
    can't find locally.

    The only item I found in a local store was the marked-down Fruit Fresh.
    You'd think being a rural area, more folks would be doing preserving
    and canning. The stores here will carry a few cases of quart and pint
    jars which are terribly over-priced, but not most of the other items.

    I'm now starting to regret not picking up an extra case of half pint
    and maybe one of 4 oz jars. I've got plenty of quarts and pints, but
    only a few of the half pint. Since I'm single the smaller jars make
    more sense for a lot of stuff. That and my neighbors who might get
    some surplus are all singles or couple-only and would have trouble
    using up a big jar of something.

    Nyssa, who planted four blueberry bushes this year and is dreaming of
    ways to use the blueberries in years to come


  16. #16
    toolsforkitchen Guest

    Default Re: Pickles


    Thank you for responding, George! I will try this. Wow, am I a newbie.
    I would never have guessed that peppers should sit for three weeks to
    get crisp! Good luck with your figs. I love them in a salad with some
    crumbled blue cheese or stilton.

    Cheers!

    'George Shirley[_2_ Wrote:[color=blue]
    > ;1632165']On 6/30/2011 3:50 PM, toolsforkitchen wrote:[i]
    > I'm not Susan but I would advise you to use Pickle Crisp if you want
    > crisp pickles of any kind. Hot chiles won't crisp up on their own but
    > the Pickle Crisp will make them somewhat more crisp. Just follow the
    > directions on the Pickle Crisp container. You have to let them sit for
    > three weeks in order to get a crisp product. Good luck with your
    > canning, it's lots of fun and after a bit you will probably start
    > altering standard recipes to fit you and your family's taste. Just be
    > sure you follow the USDA protocols to ensure a safe product.
    >
    > Our figs are coming in so slow and scarce we're making two pints of fig
    >
    > jam at a time. This time last year we were making fourteen or more pints
    >
    > at a time. Drought doesn't help matters.





    --
    toolsforkitchen

  17. #17
    George Shirley Guest

    Default Re: Pickles

    On 7/1/2011 7:56 AM, Nyssa wrote:
    > George Shirley wrote:
    >
    >>>

    >> Here's one way to do them: http://tinyurl.com/6l5ez5s
    >>
    >> Go to the UGA website: http://tinyurl.com/9fy34
    >> and you will find a world of advice on making sweet pickles. As a
    >> diabetic I now make my sweet pickles with Splenda and no one seems to be
    >> able to tell it isn't real sugar.
    >>
    >> I've not tried to do whole sweet pickles, probably because I like them
    >> sliced better. I do make luncheon spears quite often but they are dilled
    >> and not sweet.

    >
    > Thanks for the reply, George.
    >
    > The first link was to a recipe type I'm trying to avoid. There is
    > no place in this house that will be 70 degrees or under until late
    > October. lol I simply don't have the space or inclination to spend
    > two weeks dumping and soaking pickles in any case. I need something
    > that cuts that piece of the puzzle out of the recipe.
    >
    > I already have the UGA site bookmarked and remember to look it over
    > occasionally. I usually depend more on my BBB and other canning books
    > since I can do that offline instead of tying up the phone line.
    >
    > The Splenda note started an idea though. I've got a diabetic friend
    > who loves jalapenos, which I grow for him. I'm thinking of doing him
    > up a batch of jalapeno pickles of some variety if I end up with the
    > overload of peppers as I had last summer. Any suggestions for a recipe
    > or seasonings would be helpful. Maybe an onion and jalapeno pickle mix?
    >
    > Nyssa, who has most of the canning stuff gathered and is hoping the garden
    > doesn't disappoint this year
    >

    I don't do hot stuff, Miz Anne and I can't handle the heat anymore. My
    son pickles jalapenos with onion and garlic and likes them right well.
    Lots of chile pickling recipes around, just make sure they comply with
    USDA recommendations.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32