Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: OT: shingles

  1. #1
    George Shirley Guest

    Default OT: shingles

    Had chicken pox when I was five years old, yesterday I was diagnosed
    with shingles. Been more than 65 years with no symptoms and now I itch
    again.

    If you had chicken pox as a child it is recommended you get the shingles
    vaccine once you get older, I think the doc said past sixty years of age
    you should have it.

    I'm taking a pill, big old pill, twice a day to alleviate the shingles
    pain and growth. In addition I'm putting calamine lotion on the pustules
    to keep them from itching. Tomorrow I will get a vaccine shot as the
    doctor also says getting the vaccine will ameliorate the pain and
    suffering. Pay attention old people, don't be like me. Get the vaccine,
    if you're on Medicare or a Medicare insurance plan it should be free by law.

    Obligatory food preserving message: no figs this year, no persimmons, no
    plums, peach tree got eaten by peach borers, neighbor killed the quince
    tree with RoundUp but the veggie garden is going very good, been putting
    up lots of green beans and now crowder peas, not to mention loads of
    chopped sweet chiles and large amount of Swiss chard.

  2. #2
    gloria p Guest

    Default Re: OT: shingles

    On 7/6/2012 11:26 AM, George Shirley wrote:
    > Had chicken pox when I was five years old, yesterday I was diagnosed
    > with shingles. Been more than 65 years with no symptoms and now I itch
    > again.
    >
    > If you had chicken pox as a child it is recommended you get the shingles
    > vaccine once you get older, I think the doc said past sixty years of age
    > you should have it.
    >


    A number of friends have had shingles over the years and they describe
    it as quite painful. I hope you recover quickly. I got the vaccine
    about 4 years ago, husband has resisted even though he had a mild bout
    about 10 years ago.

    >
    > Obligatory food preserving message: no figs this year, no persimmons, no
    > plums, peach tree got eaten by peach borers, neighbor killed the quince
    > tree with RoundUp but the veggie garden is going very good, been putting
    > up lots of green beans and now crowder peas, not to mention loads of
    > chopped sweet chiles and large amount of Swiss chard.


    I'm sorry your fruit supply is so scarce this year. Does your friend
    still have the pear tree that you have used for jelly in the past?
    Our apricot trees were absolutely loaded this spring but while we were
    away we had both a very heavy hailstorm and extended temps over 100deg.
    They didn't get enough water and we can't tell whether the fruit is just
    delayed or dead for this year.

    gloria p



  3. #3
    Doug Freyburger Guest

    Default Re: OT: shingles

    George Shirley wrote:
    >
    > Had chicken pox when I was five years old, yesterday I was diagnosed
    > with shingles. Been more than 65 years with no symptoms and now I itch
    > again.
    >
    > If you had chicken pox as a child it is recommended you get the shingles
    > vaccine once you get older, I think the doc said past sixty years of age
    > you should have it.


    By us it's 55+. So for us we'll double check next year and get
    vaccinated. Thanks for the reminder. I pray for your easing.

  4. #4
    Nick Cramer Guest

    Default Re: OT: shingles

    George Shirley <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Had chicken pox when I was five years old, yesterday I was diagnosed
    > with shingles. Been more than 65 years with no symptoms and now I itch
    > again.
    >
    > If you had chicken pox as a child it is recommended you get the shingles
    > vaccine once you get older, I think the doc said past sixty years of age
    > you should have it.
    >
    > I'm taking a pill, big old pill, twice a day to alleviate the shingles
    > pain and growth. In addition I'm putting calamine lotion on the pustules
    > to keep them from itching. Tomorrow I will get a vaccine shot as the
    > doctor also says getting the vaccine will ameliorate the pain and
    > suffering. Pay attention old people, don't be like me. Get the vaccine,
    > if you're on Medicare or a Medicare insurance plan it should be free by
    > law.


    I also had chicken pox in the early 1940's and shingles about 25 years ago.
    When I see my MD in September, I'll ask him about the vaccine (if I
    remember).

    > Obligatory food preserving message: no figs this year, no persimmons, no
    > plums, peach tree got eaten by peach borers, neighbor killed the quince
    > tree with RoundUp but the veggie garden is going very good, been putting
    > up lots of green beans and now crowder peas, not to mention loads of
    > chopped sweet chiles and large amount of Swiss chard.


    We've got lots of Kaffir limes and those little Thai chile peppers.

    --
    Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
    families: https://semperfifund.org https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
    http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ ~Semper Fi~
    http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/ http://www.legacy.com.au/ ~Semper Fi~

  5. #5
    pheasant16 Guest

    Default Re: OT: shingles

    George Shirley wrote:
    > Had chicken pox when I was five years old, yesterday I was diagnosed
    > with shingles. Been more than 65 years with no symptoms and now I itch
    > again.
    >
    > If you had chicken pox as a child it is recommended you get the shingles
    > vaccine once you get older, I think the doc said past sixty years of age
    > you should have it.
    >
    > I'm taking a pill, big old pill, twice a day to alleviate the shingles
    > pain and growth. In addition I'm putting calamine lotion on the pustules
    > to keep them from itching. Tomorrow I will get a vaccine shot as the
    > doctor also says getting the vaccine will ameliorate the pain and
    > suffering. Pay attention old people, don't be like me. Get the vaccine,
    > if you're on Medicare or a Medicare insurance plan it should be free by
    > law.
    >

    Not free unless you previously had Medicaid (welfare) before the
    Medicare D came into being. Be prepared to pay somewhere between zero
    and 225 dollars, depending on your plan co insurance, deductible, and
    copay. Not a benefit of Medicare B. Is covered under part D. Any
    vaccine developed after 2003 is treated as a drug for payment purposes.

    If you are a 20 year man and have Tricare for life; it'll cost you 20 bucks.

    I could easily do 100 a week if old people felt their health was worth
    something. Lots of money for toys, but to spend money on your
    health..... heck no, if it ain't free don't want it!!!!!! I average
    maybe 10 because of this. Sad comment on our mindset.

    Hope your case is mild and you have no long term issues. That's where
    the vaccine shines, if you had the vaccine, when the rash clears that's
    it. No pain, deafness, blindness.

    Git r' done; no brainer.

    Mark

  6. #6
    George Shirley Guest

    Default Re: OT: shingles

    On 7/6/2012 2:37 PM, gloria p wrote:
    > On 7/6/2012 11:26 AM, George Shirley wrote:
    >> Had chicken pox when I was five years old, yesterday I was diagnosed
    >> with shingles. Been more than 65 years with no symptoms and now I itch
    >> again.
    >>
    >> If you had chicken pox as a child it is recommended you get the shingles
    >> vaccine once you get older, I think the doc said past sixty years of age
    >> you should have it.
    >>

    >
    > A number of friends have had shingles over the years and they describe
    > it as quite painful. I hope you recover quickly. I got the vaccine
    > about 4 years ago, husband has resisted even though he had a mild bout
    > about 10 years ago.
    >
    >>
    >> Obligatory food preserving message: no figs this year, no persimmons, no
    >> plums, peach tree got eaten by peach borers, neighbor killed the quince
    >> tree with RoundUp but the veggie garden is going very good, been putting
    >> up lots of green beans and now crowder peas, not to mention loads of
    >> chopped sweet chiles and large amount of Swiss chard.

    >
    > I'm sorry your fruit supply is so scarce this year. Does your friend
    > still have the pear tree that you have used for jelly in the past?


    Oh yes, we still have more than 40 half pint jars of pint jelly from
    last year. I'm jonesing for a couple of gallons off his fig trees now.
    Strange fellow, four pear trees, five fig trees, about two hundred
    running feet of mucadine vines of three colors - doesn't eat fruit or
    jellies.

    > Our apricot trees were absolutely loaded this spring but while we were
    > away we had both a very heavy hailstorm and extended temps over 100deg.
    > They didn't get enough water and we can't tell whether the fruit is just
    > delayed or dead for this year.
    >
    > gloria p
    >
    >

    I do wish we could grow apricots down here, they're my favorite fruit
    and the ones we can get in the stores are so green they will never ripen.


  7. #7
    George Shirley Guest

    Default Re: OT: shingles

    On 7/7/2012 4:01 AM, Nick Cramer wrote:
    > George Shirley <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> Had chicken pox when I was five years old, yesterday I was diagnosed
    >> with shingles. Been more than 65 years with no symptoms and now I itch
    >> again.
    >>
    >> If you had chicken pox as a child it is recommended you get the shingles
    >> vaccine once you get older, I think the doc said past sixty years of age
    >> you should have it.
    >>
    >> I'm taking a pill, big old pill, twice a day to alleviate the shingles
    >> pain and growth. In addition I'm putting calamine lotion on the pustules
    >> to keep them from itching. Tomorrow I will get a vaccine shot as the
    >> doctor also says getting the vaccine will ameliorate the pain and
    >> suffering. Pay attention old people, don't be like me. Get the vaccine,
    >> if you're on Medicare or a Medicare insurance plan it should be free by
    >> law.

    >
    > I also had chicken pox in the early 1940's and shingles about 25 years ago.
    > When I see my MD in September, I'll ask him about the vaccine (if I
    > remember).
    >
    >> Obligatory food preserving message: no figs this year, no persimmons, no
    >> plums, peach tree got eaten by peach borers, neighbor killed the quince
    >> tree with RoundUp but the veggie garden is going very good, been putting
    >> up lots of green beans and now crowder peas, not to mention loads of
    >> chopped sweet chiles and large amount of Swiss chard.

    >
    > We've got lots of Kaffir limes and those little Thai chile peppers.
    >

    We can grow both of those down here in the south, just can't eat the
    chile's anymore, tear my stomach and other parts of my anatomy up.

    Thanks all for the good wishes and thank goodness for calamine lotion,
    antibiotics and the other giant pills I have to take now. Found that a
    cold, wet washcloth gives the most relief so thanks also to the internet.


  8. #8
    George Shirley Guest

    Default Re: OT: shingles

    On 7/7/2012 5:54 AM, pheasant16 wrote:
    > George Shirley wrote:
    >> Had chicken pox when I was five years old, yesterday I was diagnosed
    >> with shingles. Been more than 65 years with no symptoms and now I itch
    >> again.
    >>
    >> If you had chicken pox as a child it is recommended you get the
    >> shingles vaccine once you get older, I think the doc said past sixty
    >> years of age you should have it.
    >>
    >> I'm taking a pill, big old pill, twice a day to alleviate the shingles
    >> pain and growth. In addition I'm putting calamine lotion on the
    >> pustules to keep them from itching. Tomorrow I will get a vaccine shot
    >> as the doctor also says getting the vaccine will ameliorate the pain
    >> and suffering. Pay attention old people, don't be like me. Get the
    >> vaccine, if you're on Medicare or a Medicare insurance plan it should
    >> be free by law.
    >>

    > Not free unless you previously had Medicaid (welfare) before the
    > Medicare D came into being. Be prepared to pay somewhere between zero
    > and 225 dollars, depending on your plan co insurance, deductible, and
    > copay. Not a benefit of Medicare B. Is covered under part D. Any
    > vaccine developed after 2003 is treated as a drug for payment purposes.

    We've always had a Medicare Advantage plan that includes all the parts
    including D. Waiting on an answer from Humana on the cost but docs now
    tell me to wait until this bout heals up then get the vaccine. DW will
    get a shot Monday.
    >
    > If you are a 20 year man and have Tricare for life; it'll cost you 20
    > bucks.
    >
    > I could easily do 100 a week if old people felt their health was worth
    > something. Lots of money for toys, but to spend money on your
    > health..... heck no, if it ain't free don't want it!!!!!! I average
    > maybe 10 because of this. Sad comment on our mindset.

    These two old people take care of their money, don't need anymore toys.
    She's still peddling paintings and I'm still doing tech writing. We try
    to avoid anything to do with welfare or becoming the "gimme" generation.
    >
    > Hope your case is mild and you have no long term issues. That's where
    > the vaccine shines, if you had the vaccine, when the rash clears that's
    > it. No pain, deafness, blindness.
    >
    > Git r' done; no brainer.
    >
    > Mark




  9. #9
    Carol S Guest

    Default Re: OT: shingles

    Oh George I'm so sorry to hear you have shingles!......my 91 year old
    Dad has had trouble with them for years and I know how painful they
    are....I got the vaccine 3 yrs ago and he got it 1 yr.ago....praying it
    helps you....Carol


  10. #10
    George Shirley Guest

    Default Re: OT: shingles

    On 7/7/2012 10:55 PM, Carol S wrote:
    > Oh George I'm so sorry to hear you have shingles!......my 91 year old
    > Dad has had trouble with them for years and I know how painful they
    > are....I got the vaccine 3 yrs ago and he got it 1 yr.ago....praying it
    > helps you....Carol
    >

    The doctors are now telling me I have to wait for this bout to run its
    course and then take the vaccine. The calamine lotion and cold wash
    cloths help a lot. Got the bright idea of putting a damp wash cloth in a
    plastic bag and keeping it in the fridge. OMG as the kids say, what a
    relief. I may patent the idea. <G>


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32