Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Only Pressure Can?

  1. #1
    Drew Lawson Guest

    Default Only Pressure Can?


    Assuming that the gophers are less successful this year than last,
    I'm hoping to be getting back to canning this year (after decades).

    I know that some of what is planned will need to be pressure canned.
    I'm unclear from my initial research whether there is any reason
    to do both pressure and water bath canning (other than cool-down
    time).

    Is there any general problem with pressure canning foods that are
    usually water bath canned?

    Does the higher heat cause any problems for pectin in jellies/jams?

    --
    Drew Lawson | Broke my mind
    | Had no spare
    |

  2. #2
    George Shirley Guest

    Default Re: Only Pressure Can?

    On 3/16/2012 9:16 AM, Drew Lawson wrote:
    > Assuming that the gophers are less successful this year than last,
    > I'm hoping to be getting back to canning this year (after decades).
    >
    > I know that some of what is planned will need to be pressure canned.
    > I'm unclear from my initial research whether there is any reason
    > to do both pressure and water bath canning (other than cool-down
    > time).
    >
    > Is there any general problem with pressure canning foods that are
    > usually water bath canned?
    >
    > Does the higher heat cause any problems for pectin in jellies/jams?
    >

    The higher heat of the pressure canner will pretty much ruin
    jellies/jams done that way. You can use the pressure canner pot and rack
    to boiling water bath your jellies and jams and you will end up with a
    better product in my opinion. Pressure canners are required for low acid
    foods, which, nowadays, can include canning tomatoes as so many new
    varieties are low acid.

    Many times when we get a bumper fruit crop we will run the pressure
    canner as a BWB kettle along with the large BWB kettle we also have.
    Hope this helps.

    George

  3. #3
    Drew Lawson Guest

    Default Re: Only Pressure Can?

    In article <4f635811$0$5245$[email protected] m>
    George Shirley <[email protected]> writes:
    >On 3/16/2012 9:16 AM, Drew Lawson wrote:
    >>
    >> Is there any general problem with pressure canning foods that are
    >> usually water bath canned?
    >>
    >> Does the higher heat cause any problems for pectin in jellies/jams?
    >>

    >The higher heat of the pressure canner will pretty much ruin
    >jellies/jams done that way.


    That's good to know. I was only guessing.

    >You can use the pressure canner pot and rack
    >to boiling water bath your jellies and jams and you will end up with a
    >better product in my opinion.


    Huh. I didn't think of that. Problem solved. I was really just
    wanting to avoid having to find room for *two* large kettles.

    >Pressure canners are required for low acid
    >foods, which, nowadays, can include canning tomatoes as so many new
    >varieties are low acid.


    If all works out, pasta sauces and (non-cream) soups, both containing
    meat. So pressure is required no matter how the tomatoes turn out.

    >Many times when we get a bumper fruit crop we will run the pressure
    >canner as a BWB kettle along with the large BWB kettle we also have.
    >Hope this helps.
    >
    >George


    Thank you. That helps a lot.

    (Now, if the garden was only ready for planting.)

    --
    Drew Lawson | It's not enough to be alive
    | when your future's been deferred

  4. #4
    George Shirley Guest

    Default Re: Only Pressure Can?

    On 3/16/2012 11:45 AM, Drew Lawson wrote:
    > In article<4f635811$0$5245$[email protected] ws.com>
    > George Shirley<[email protected]> writes:
    >> On 3/16/2012 9:16 AM, Drew Lawson wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Is there any general problem with pressure canning foods that are
    >>> usually water bath canned?
    >>>
    >>> Does the higher heat cause any problems for pectin in jellies/jams?
    >>>

    >> The higher heat of the pressure canner will pretty much ruin
    >> jellies/jams done that way.

    >
    > That's good to know. I was only guessing.
    >
    >> You can use the pressure canner pot and rack
    >> to boiling water bath your jellies and jams and you will end up with a
    >> better product in my opinion.

    >
    > Huh. I didn't think of that. Problem solved. I was really just
    > wanting to avoid having to find room for *two* large kettles.
    >
    >> Pressure canners are required for low acid
    >> foods, which, nowadays, can include canning tomatoes as so many new
    >> varieties are low acid.

    >
    > If all works out, pasta sauces and (non-cream) soups, both containing
    > meat. So pressure is required no matter how the tomatoes turn out.
    >
    >> Many times when we get a bumper fruit crop we will run the pressure
    >> canner as a BWB kettle along with the large BWB kettle we also have.
    >> Hope this helps.
    >>
    >> George

    >
    > Thank you. That helps a lot.
    >
    > (Now, if the garden was only ready for planting.)
    >

    We planted our spring garden last week and have tiny tomatoes forming
    already. The green beans and butter beans we seeded are breaking the
    soil surface. Won't be long before we have to get out the pressure
    canner. The peach and plum trees are blooming and the persimmon tree is
    on the verge.

    We had to turn on the AC yesterday as it got to about 82F here. Today,
    at this moment, it is only 77F outside and 75 inside. Time to mow again.

  5. #5
    The Cook Guest

    Default Re: Only Pressure Can?

    On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 12:52:04 -0500, George Shirley
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On 3/16/2012 11:45 AM, Drew Lawson wrote:
    >> In article<4f635811$0$5245$[email protected] ws.com>
    >> George Shirley<[email protected]> writes:
    >>> On 3/16/2012 9:16 AM, Drew Lawson wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>> Is there any general problem with pressure canning foods that are
    >>>> usually water bath canned?
    >>>>
    >>>> Does the higher heat cause any problems for pectin in jellies/jams?
    >>>>
    >>> The higher heat of the pressure canner will pretty much ruin
    >>> jellies/jams done that way.

    >>
    >> That's good to know. I was only guessing.
    >>
    >>> You can use the pressure canner pot and rack
    >>> to boiling water bath your jellies and jams and you will end up with a
    >>> better product in my opinion.

    >>
    >> Huh. I didn't think of that. Problem solved. I was really just
    >> wanting to avoid having to find room for *two* large kettles.
    >>
    >>> Pressure canners are required for low acid
    >>> foods, which, nowadays, can include canning tomatoes as so many new
    >>> varieties are low acid.

    >>
    >> If all works out, pasta sauces and (non-cream) soups, both containing
    >> meat. So pressure is required no matter how the tomatoes turn out.
    >>
    >>> Many times when we get a bumper fruit crop we will run the pressure
    >>> canner as a BWB kettle along with the large BWB kettle we also have.
    >>> Hope this helps.
    >>>
    >>> George

    >>
    >> Thank you. That helps a lot.
    >>
    >> (Now, if the garden was only ready for planting.)
    >>

    >We planted our spring garden last week and have tiny tomatoes forming
    >already. The green beans and butter beans we seeded are breaking the
    >soil surface. Won't be long before we have to get out the pressure
    >canner. The peach and plum trees are blooming and the persimmon tree is
    >on the verge.
    >
    >We had to turn on the AC yesterday as it got to about 82F here. Today,
    >at this moment, it is only 77F outside and 75 inside. Time to mow again.



    Looks like we are about 5 weeks behind you. The onions, spinach and
    beets went in last week. I will probably put in a few cabbages and
    broccoli tomorrow if it doesn't rain so much that I sink up to my
    ankles in the garden. The tomatoes and other summer veggies have
    mostly sprouted and will be ready for the outside world between 4/15
    and 4/22 if we don't get a major freeze the first week in April.

    The fruit trees are starting to bud and the rhubarb is coming up. I
    have a few more rhubarb plants in the greenhouse. The asparagus
    should be up soon and the strawberries in late April.

    Thank goodness I am feeling pretty decent right now and I hope it
    continues. I really didn't feel like doing much of anything the past
    couple of years.
    --
    Susan N.

    "Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral,
    48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
    Vittorio De Sica, Italian movie director (1901-1974)

  6. #6
    George Shirley Guest

    Default Re: Only Pressure Can?

    On 3/16/2012 6:09 PM, The Cook wrote:
    > On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 12:52:04 -0500, George Shirley
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> On 3/16/2012 11:45 AM, Drew Lawson wrote:
    >>> In article<4f635811$0$5245$[email protected] ws.com>
    >>> George Shirley<[email protected]> writes:
    >>>> On 3/16/2012 9:16 AM, Drew Lawson wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Is there any general problem with pressure canning foods that are
    >>>>> usually water bath canned?
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Does the higher heat cause any problems for pectin in jellies/jams?
    >>>>>
    >>>> The higher heat of the pressure canner will pretty much ruin
    >>>> jellies/jams done that way.
    >>>
    >>> That's good to know. I was only guessing.
    >>>
    >>>> You can use the pressure canner pot and rack
    >>>> to boiling water bath your jellies and jams and you will end up with a
    >>>> better product in my opinion.
    >>>
    >>> Huh. I didn't think of that. Problem solved. I was really just
    >>> wanting to avoid having to find room for *two* large kettles.
    >>>
    >>>> Pressure canners are required for low acid
    >>>> foods, which, nowadays, can include canning tomatoes as so many new
    >>>> varieties are low acid.
    >>>
    >>> If all works out, pasta sauces and (non-cream) soups, both containing
    >>> meat. So pressure is required no matter how the tomatoes turn out.
    >>>
    >>>> Many times when we get a bumper fruit crop we will run the pressure
    >>>> canner as a BWB kettle along with the large BWB kettle we also have.
    >>>> Hope this helps.
    >>>>
    >>>> George
    >>>
    >>> Thank you. That helps a lot.
    >>>
    >>> (Now, if the garden was only ready for planting.)
    >>>

    >> We planted our spring garden last week and have tiny tomatoes forming
    >> already. The green beans and butter beans we seeded are breaking the
    >> soil surface. Won't be long before we have to get out the pressure
    >> canner. The peach and plum trees are blooming and the persimmon tree is
    >> on the verge.
    >>
    >> We had to turn on the AC yesterday as it got to about 82F here. Today,
    >> at this moment, it is only 77F outside and 75 inside. Time to mow again.

    >
    >
    > Looks like we are about 5 weeks behind you. The onions, spinach and
    > beets went in last week. I will probably put in a few cabbages and
    > broccoli tomorrow if it doesn't rain so much that I sink up to my
    > ankles in the garden. The tomatoes and other summer veggies have
    > mostly sprouted and will be ready for the outside world between 4/15
    > and 4/22 if we don't get a major freeze the first week in April.
    >
    > The fruit trees are starting to bud and the rhubarb is coming up. I
    > have a few more rhubarb plants in the greenhouse. The asparagus
    > should be up soon and the strawberries in late April.
    >
    > Thank goodness I am feeling pretty decent right now and I hope it
    > continues. I really didn't feel like doing much of anything the past
    > couple of years.

    Welcome to my world, just found out today that one of the blood pressure
    meds I take can and is seriously affecting my kidney function. I've been
    on the stuff over a year and next week I go to my cardiologist to
    discuss ALL my BP meds. I get tired very easily and it now seems that
    the meds are the cause.

    Asparagus appears to grow well here as we have friends with beds of the
    stuff. Once we move I will most likely prepare an asparagus bed. Miz
    Anne and I courted along the creek by her parents home in Southern
    Maryland searching for the wild asparagus. As an East Texas boy I had
    never eaten it until her Mom fixed some one night when I came to dinner.
    Now I love the stuff but it very expensive in the supermarkets here for
    some reason. I hope your gardening efforts survive the rain, we've
    finally caught up on our rain deficit here and are hoping we can dry out
    for awhile. We did mow and run the trimmer today so the old house looks
    better for awhile. A hard job for two old people and a fat little dog.

  7. #7
    songbird Guest

    Default Re: Only Pressure Can?

    The Cook wrote:
    ....
    > Thank goodness I am feeling pretty decent right now and I hope it
    > continues. I really didn't feel like doing much of anything the past
    > couple of years.


    i'm glad you're feeling better!


    songbird

  8. #8
    Shawn Martin Guest

    Default Re: Only Pressure Can?


    "George Shirley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:4f63d95a$0$25825$[email protected]..
    > On 3/16/2012 6:09 PM, The Cook wrote:
    >> On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 12:52:04 -0500, George Shirley
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 3/16/2012 11:45 AM, Drew Lawson wrote:
    >>>> In article<4f635811$0$5245$[email protected] ws.com>
    >>>> George Shirley<[email protected]> writes:
    >>>>> On 3/16/2012 9:16 AM, Drew Lawson wrote:
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Is there any general problem with pressure canning foods that are
    >>>>>> usually water bath canned?
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Does the higher heat cause any problems for pectin in jellies/jams?
    >>>>>>
    >>>>> The higher heat of the pressure canner will pretty much ruin
    >>>>> jellies/jams done that way.
    >>>>


    snip

    We did mow and run the trimmer today so the old house looks
    > better for awhile. A hard job for two old people and a fat little dog.


    You been spying on us? ;-)




  9. #9
    George Shirley Guest

    Default Re: Only Pressure Can?

    On 3/17/2012 8:14 AM, Shawn Martin wrote:
    >
    > "George Shirley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:4f63d95a$0$25825$[email protected]..
    >> On 3/16/2012 6:09 PM, The Cook wrote:
    >>> On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 12:52:04 -0500, George Shirley
    >>> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> On 3/16/2012 11:45 AM, Drew Lawson wrote:
    >>>>> In article<4f635811$0$5245$[email protected] ws.com>
    >>>>> George Shirley<[email protected]> writes:
    >>>>>> On 3/16/2012 9:16 AM, Drew Lawson wrote:
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>> Is there any general problem with pressure canning foods that are
    >>>>>>> usually water bath canned?
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>> Does the higher heat cause any problems for pectin in jellies/jams?
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>> The higher heat of the pressure canner will pretty much ruin
    >>>>>> jellies/jams done that way.
    >>>>>

    >
    > snip
    >
    > We did mow and run the trimmer today so the old house looks
    >> better for awhile. A hard job for two old people and a fat little dog.

    >
    > You been spying on us? ;-)
    >
    >
    >

    Sometimes I think the whole world is old people and fat dawgs, sure is
    at our house and even our children are getting old. Our eldest turned 50
    12/2011 and continues to complain about it.

  10. #10
    Shawn Martin Guest

    Default Re: Only Pressure Can?


    "George Shirley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:4f64ce53$0$6034$[email protected]..
    > On 3/17/2012 8:14 AM, Shawn Martin wrote:
    >>
    >> "George Shirley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:4f63d95a$0$25825$[email protected]..
    >>> On 3/16/2012 6:09 PM, The Cook wrote:
    >>>> On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 12:52:04 -0500, George Shirley
    >>>> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> On 3/16/2012 11:45 AM, Drew Lawson wrote:
    >>>>>> In article<4f635811$0$5245$[email protected] ws.com>
    >>>>>> George Shirley<[email protected]> writes:
    >>>>>>> On 3/16/2012 9:16 AM, Drew Lawson wrote:
    >>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>> Is there any general problem with pressure canning foods that are
    >>>>>>>> usually water bath canned?
    >>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>> Does the higher heat cause any problems for pectin in jellies/jams?
    >>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>> The higher heat of the pressure canner will pretty much ruin
    >>>>>>> jellies/jams done that way.
    >>>>>>

    >>
    >> snip
    >>
    >> We did mow and run the trimmer today so the old house looks
    >>> better for awhile. A hard job for two old people and a fat little dog.

    >>
    >> You been spying on us? ;-)
    >>
    >>
    >>

    > Sometimes I think the whole world is old people and fat dawgs, sure is at
    > our house and even our children are getting old. Our eldest turned 50
    > 12/2011 and continues to complain about it.
    >


    You win on the old part. DW turned 55 last month, (and I ain't saying
    nothing about me)


  11. #11
    George Shirley Guest

    Default Re: Only Pressure Can?

    On 3/18/2012 7:22 AM, Shawn Martin wrote:
    >
    > "George Shirley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:4f64ce53$0$6034$[email protected]..
    >> On 3/17/2012 8:14 AM, Shawn Martin wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "George Shirley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>> news:4f63d95a$0$25825$[email protected]..
    >>>> On 3/16/2012 6:09 PM, The Cook wrote:
    >>>>> On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 12:52:04 -0500, George Shirley
    >>>>> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> On 3/16/2012 11:45 AM, Drew Lawson wrote:
    >>>>>>> In article<4f635811$0$5245$[email protected] ws.com>
    >>>>>>> George Shirley<[email protected]> writes:
    >>>>>>>> On 3/16/2012 9:16 AM, Drew Lawson wrote:
    >>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>> Is there any general problem with pressure canning foods that are
    >>>>>>>>> usually water bath canned?
    >>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>> Does the higher heat cause any problems for pectin in
    >>>>>>>>> jellies/jams?
    >>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>> The higher heat of the pressure canner will pretty much ruin
    >>>>>>>> jellies/jams done that way.
    >>>>>>>
    >>>
    >>> snip
    >>>
    >>> We did mow and run the trimmer today so the old house looks
    >>>> better for awhile. A hard job for two old people and a fat little dog.
    >>>
    >>> You been spying on us? ;-)
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>

    >> Sometimes I think the whole world is old people and fat dawgs, sure is
    >> at our house and even our children are getting old. Our eldest turned
    >> 50 12/2011 and continues to complain about it.
    >>

    >
    > You win on the old part. DW turned 55 last month, (and I ain't saying
    > nothing about me)

    I got kids close to your DW's age, try that for old. <G>

  12. #12
    The Cook Guest

    Default Re: Only Pressure Can?

    On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 08:54:57 -0500, George Shirley
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On 3/18/2012 7:22 AM, Shawn Martin wrote:
    >>
    >> "George Shirley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:4f64ce53$0$6034$[email protected]..
    >>> On 3/17/2012 8:14 AM, Shawn Martin wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>> "George Shirley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>>> news:4f63d95a$0$25825$[email protected]..
    >>>>> On 3/16/2012 6:09 PM, The Cook wrote:
    >>>>>> On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 12:52:04 -0500, George Shirley
    >>>>>> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>> On 3/16/2012 11:45 AM, Drew Lawson wrote:
    >>>>>>>> In article<4f635811$0$5245$[email protected] ws.com>
    >>>>>>>> George Shirley<[email protected]> writes:
    >>>>>>>>> On 3/16/2012 9:16 AM, Drew Lawson wrote:
    >>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>> Is there any general problem with pressure canning foods that are
    >>>>>>>>>> usually water bath canned?
    >>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>> Does the higher heat cause any problems for pectin in
    >>>>>>>>>> jellies/jams?
    >>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>> The higher heat of the pressure canner will pretty much ruin
    >>>>>>>>> jellies/jams done that way.
    >>>>>>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> snip
    >>>>
    >>>> We did mow and run the trimmer today so the old house looks
    >>>>> better for awhile. A hard job for two old people and a fat little dog.
    >>>>
    >>>> You been spying on us? ;-)
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>> Sometimes I think the whole world is old people and fat dawgs, sure is
    >>> at our house and even our children are getting old. Our eldest turned
    >>> 50 12/2011 and continues to complain about it.
    >>>

    >>
    >> You win on the old part. DW turned 55 last month, (and I ain't saying
    >> nothing about me)

    >I got kids close to your DW's age, try that for old. <G>


    I'm right behind you. Mr older son was 45 this past September. We
    will celebrate our 50th anniversary this coming September. I was 21.
    --
    Susan N.

    "Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral,
    48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
    Vittorio De Sica, Italian movie director (1901-1974)

  13. #13
    George Shirley Guest

    Default Re: Only Pressure Can?

    On 3/18/2012 10:09 AM, The Cook wrote:
    > On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 08:54:57 -0500, George Shirley
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> On 3/18/2012 7:22 AM, Shawn Martin wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "George Shirley"<[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>> news:4f64ce53$0$6034$[email protected]..
    >>>> On 3/17/2012 8:14 AM, Shawn Martin wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>> "George Shirley"<[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>>>> news:4f63d95a$0$25825$[email protected]..
    >>>>>> On 3/16/2012 6:09 PM, The Cook wrote:
    >>>>>>> On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 12:52:04 -0500, George Shirley
    >>>>>>> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>> On 3/16/2012 11:45 AM, Drew Lawson wrote:
    >>>>>>>>> In article<4f635811$0$5245$[email protected] ws.com>
    >>>>>>>>> George Shirley<[email protected]> writes:
    >>>>>>>>>> On 3/16/2012 9:16 AM, Drew Lawson wrote:
    >>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>> Is there any general problem with pressure canning foods that are
    >>>>>>>>>>> usually water bath canned?
    >>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>> Does the higher heat cause any problems for pectin in
    >>>>>>>>>>> jellies/jams?
    >>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>> The higher heat of the pressure canner will pretty much ruin
    >>>>>>>>>> jellies/jams done that way.
    >>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>> snip
    >>>>>
    >>>>> We did mow and run the trimmer today so the old house looks
    >>>>>> better for awhile. A hard job for two old people and a fat little dog.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> You been spying on us? ;-)
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>> Sometimes I think the whole world is old people and fat dawgs, sure is
    >>>> at our house and even our children are getting old. Our eldest turned
    >>>> 50 12/2011 and continues to complain about it.
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> You win on the old part. DW turned 55 last month, (and I ain't saying
    >>> nothing about me)

    >> I got kids close to your DW's age, try that for old.<G>

    >
    > I'm right behind you. Mr older son was 45 this past September. We
    > will celebrate our 50th anniversary this coming September. I was 21.

    52 years for us in December this year, I was 21, she was 20. I feel 95,
    she's still spry as ever. Walks two miles roundtrip to Mass during this
    Lent. She's one year 16 days off of hip surgery. Wish I was that tough.
    My eldest will be 51 in December, youngest will be 49 in September, I
    will be 73 in September. My last surviving uncle passed away last month
    at 97 years, I am now the eldest male survivor in my family line.

  14. #14
    Melba's Jammin' Guest

    Default Re: Only Pressure Can?

    In article <jjvhv7$om9$[email protected]>,
    [email protected]d (Drew Lawson) wrote:

    > Is there any general problem with pressure canning foods that are
    > usually water bath canned?
    >
    > Does the higher heat cause any problems for pectin in jellies/jams?


    It can. Pressure canning is not the appropriate choice for everything;
    it is the only appropriate choice for canning low acid vegetables
    (unless they've been pickled with a substantial amount of vinegar).
    --
    Barb,
    http://web.me.com/barbschaller September 5, 2011

  15. #15
    zxcvbob Guest

    Default Re: Only Pressure Can?

    George Shirley wrote:
    > We planted our spring garden last week and have tiny tomatoes forming
    > already. The green beans and butter beans we seeded are breaking the
    > soil surface. Won't be long before we have to get out the pressure
    > canner. The peach and plum trees are blooming and the persimmon tree is
    > on the verge.
    >
    > We had to turn on the AC yesterday as it got to about 82F here. Today,
    > at this moment, it is only 77F outside and 75 inside. Time to mow again.



    The weather up here is the same as it is there. In fact, Thursday the
    forecast says we might be warmer. I went out yesterday to prune that
    last watersprout on the apple tree that I missed last weekend, and it's
    starting to bud out. Saturday I saw maple trees in Wisconsin with
    buckets on them, being tapped for syrup. But it'll get cold again at
    least once or twice before it's over.

    The first of my peppers are just starting to come up, and I don't even
    have the tomato seeds planted yet. I'll plant some onion seeds when I
    get home this afternoon, but it's probably too late already.

    * * *

    To the original question about canning, I often use my PC instead of a
    water bath canner. I put an extra inch or two of water in it -- come up
    the sides of the jars a little -- then when steam is pouring out the
    vent I turn the heat down a little and start timing my 10 or 15 minutes
    or whatever. Just like purging the air from a pressure cooker before
    you close the vent or put the weight on top. I read about this in a
    canning book a few years ago.

    If you pressure can stuff where a water bath would have been sufficient,
    it will be safe enough but you'll ruin the texture.

    ~bob

  16. #16
    Mogaba3 Guest

    Default Re: Only Pressure Can?


    Its too great nd really very very best work done here that i ever found
    incredible sharing it is



    ________________________
    ' Bankruptcy Lawyer Seattle' (http://www.attorneybankruptcy.net/)




    --
    Mogaba3

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32