Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Making that pickle relish

  1. #1
    George Shirley Guest

    Default Making that pickle relish

    Sixteen pint jars of fine tasting and looking relish are going plinkety
    as I write this. Was hoping for more but the cukes were rich in water as
    were the bell peppers. Ended up pouring a lot of liquid off but the
    relish is nice and thick and, with red, yellow, green, and orange
    peppers chopped up in there looks a lot like parade confetti in a jar,
    only tastes better.

    I used both the big BWB pot that holds seven pints and the 18-quart
    pressure canner that holds eight. The last jar was the bottom of the pot
    and will go in the fridge to put on hot dawgs this weekend. I think I
    will skip making another batch as it takes over 30 hours including
    soaking time and then gets really intense. Been a long time since I had
    to pick up and move very large pots full of jars and water, gets harder
    on an old man's back every year. Maybe I need an apprentice.

    George, resting in the AC

  2. #2
    Carol S Guest

    Default Re: Making that pickle relish

    So glad you got that many jars of relish George!....it does sound
    pretty!....I'm making relish tomorrow and my recipe makes 4 pint which
    will do me until next season........today I'm canning pickled
    beets.....love to hear them go plink!....Carol


  3. #3
    George Shirley Guest

    Default Re: Making that pickle relish

    On 8/4/2012 3:23 PM, Carol S wrote:
    > So glad you got that many jars of relish George!....it does sound
    > pretty!....I'm making relish tomorrow and my recipe makes 4 pint which
    > will do me until next season........today I'm canning pickled
    > beets.....love to hear them go plink!....Carol
    >

    We have eighteen, going on nineteen, descendants that like the stuff
    Carol. Once we get moved I'm going to teach the oldest ones how to can
    and preserve food for themselves and try to get some relief from doing
    it all. It is done for love though so might not happen. Got some good
    kids, grandkids, and great grands going there. Newest one is due in
    September, that will be our nineteenth descendant.

    Our two eldest grandsons want us to teach them how to grow their own
    food and put it up, makes me feel good that they're finally interested.
    Our two kids try to take the time to do some canning and preserving but
    both are professional people and busy all the time. They grew up
    gardening, farming, and putting food by so they already know how to a
    certain extent.

    You have to be careful using the full name of PBDC, someone on this list
    could get physically ill thinking of eating those things. Of course we
    like them ourselves and even our great grands like them. I think the
    reason they do is because they like the color PBDC makes their lips and
    fingers, not to mention their clothing.

    Last time the three little girls and the two boys were here I set out a
    plate full of pickled carrots, green beans, PBDC, sweet pickles of both
    the cuke and green tomato kind, some pickled sunchokes, cauliflower,
    turnips, peppers, etc. It was all eaten up quickly. Those kids amaze me
    with the speed they can devour a table full of grub. And they're all
    skinny! They range from eleven years old to eighteen months and they're
    all demons when it comes to food.

  4. #4
    songbird Guest

    Default Re: Making that pickle relish

    George Shirley wrote:
    ....
    > I used both the big BWB pot that holds seven pints and the 18-quart
    > pressure canner that holds eight. The last jar was the bottom of the pot
    > and will go in the fridge to put on hot dawgs this weekend. I think I
    > will skip making another batch as it takes over 30 hours including
    > soaking time and then gets really intense. Been a long time since I had
    > to pick up and move very large pots full of jars and water, gets harder
    > on an old man's back every year. Maybe I need an apprentice.


    i'm kinda confused as to why you would have to
    move a full pot and jars?

    the most i move here at a time is the largest
    sized jar.


    songbird

  5. #5
    George Shirley Guest

    Default Re: Making that pickle relish

    On 8/4/2012 8:35 PM, songbird wrote:
    > George Shirley wrote:
    > ...
    >> I used both the big BWB pot that holds seven pints and the 18-quart
    >> pressure canner that holds eight. The last jar was the bottom of the pot
    >> and will go in the fridge to put on hot dawgs this weekend. I think I
    >> will skip making another batch as it takes over 30 hours including
    >> soaking time and then gets really intense. Been a long time since I had
    >> to pick up and move very large pots full of jars and water, gets harder
    >> on an old man's back every year. Maybe I need an apprentice.

    >
    > i'm kinda confused as to why you would have to
    > move a full pot and jars?
    >
    > the most i move here at a time is the largest
    > sized jar.
    >
    >
    > songbird
    >

    I fill the jars and the pot at the kitchen sink and then move the pot to
    the stove, about three feet away. Would be nice to have one of those
    faucets over the stove but we don't. Once the pots are on the stove I
    just use my Griptite jar lifter to take the jars out. After that the hot
    water goes either into the garden after it cools or down the sink to
    flush the sewage line all the way to the street. Mostly into the garden.
    Still requires lifting and moving.

  6. #6
    songbird Guest

    Default Re: Making that pickle relish

    George Shirley wrote:
    >songbird wrote:
    >> George Shirley wrote:
    >> ...
    >>> I used both the big BWB pot that holds seven pints and the 18-quart
    >>> pressure canner that holds eight. The last jar was the bottom of the pot
    >>> and will go in the fridge to put on hot dawgs this weekend. I think I
    >>> will skip making another batch as it takes over 30 hours including
    >>> soaking time and then gets really intense. Been a long time since I had
    >>> to pick up and move very large pots full of jars and water, gets harder
    >>> on an old man's back every year. Maybe I need an apprentice.

    >>
    >> i'm kinda confused as to why you would have to
    >> move a full pot and jars?
    >>
    >> the most i move here at a time is the largest
    >> sized jar.
    >>

    > I fill the jars and the pot at the kitchen sink and then move the pot to
    > the stove, about three feet away. Would be nice to have one of those
    > faucets over the stove but we don't. Once the pots are on the stove I
    > just use my Griptite jar lifter to take the jars out. After that the hot
    > water goes either into the garden after it cools or down the sink to
    > flush the sewage line all the way to the street. Mostly into the garden.
    > Still requires lifting and moving.


    ah, ok, i see what you are saying.
    sounds like you are getting ready to
    move so doesn't make sense to upgrade
    your current setup, but i would consider
    an upgrade to the next place, to add a
    longer hose to the sink faucet sprayer
    so that it will reach the stove. to
    empty with a siphon to the sink should
    also be possible. or...

    since the height is about the same as
    the sink a small submersible aquarium pump
    could empty it. we use an 8watt pump to
    empty the pond once in a while here and it
    is much easier than hauling water in buckets.
    of course, there are much bigger pumps
    available, but for what we were doing i just
    wanted the smallest and cheapest pump they
    had at the pet store that i could adapt to
    fit a hose. i think this one ran about $6.
    i expected it to not survive the project we
    used it for, but it has outlasted that by
    many years.


    songbird

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32