Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Freezing bok choy?

  1. #1
    Nyssa Guest

    Default Freezing bok choy?

    I've been growing some dwarf bok choy in the garden this spring, and
    have been enjoying it, but now I've got more than I can use ready for
    harvest.

    I've looked in the latest BBB and Ball Home Preserving (sounds like a
    title of a repair guide) book, but neither mentions bok choy. Since
    there is more than just greens involved (the white stalk portions of
    the plant) I don't know if the directions for greens would be quite
    the right thing either.

    Any experience with bok choy out there? Or any ideas for how to handle
    it for successful freezing?

    TIA.

    Nyssa, whose garden is promising to be a good one this year after two
    years of marauding snow geese and drought


  2. #2
    George Shirley Guest

    Default Re: Freezing bok choy?

    On 5/23/2011 9:44 AM, Nyssa wrote:
    > I've been growing some dwarf bok choy in the garden this spring, and
    > have been enjoying it, but now I've got more than I can use ready for
    > harvest.
    >
    > I've looked in the latest BBB and Ball Home Preserving (sounds like a
    > title of a repair guide) book, but neither mentions bok choy. Since
    > there is more than just greens involved (the white stalk portions of
    > the plant) I don't know if the directions for greens would be quite
    > the right thing either.
    >
    > Any experience with bok choy out there? Or any ideas for how to handle
    > it for successful freezing?
    >
    > TIA.
    >
    > Nyssa, whose garden is promising to be a good one this year after two
    > years of marauding snow geese and drought
    >

    The only way I've seen anyone preserve bok choy is by dehydrating it and
    then rehydrating it when needed in soups and stews. Doesn't freeze well,
    doesn't can in a jar well. Best eaten fresh or take the excess to the
    farmers market to sell or give to the neighbors.

  3. #3
    Nyssa Guest

    Default Re: Freezing bok choy?

    George Shirley wrote:

    > On 5/23/2011 9:44 AM, Nyssa wrote:
    >> I've been growing some dwarf bok choy in the garden this spring, and
    >> have been enjoying it, but now I've got more than I can use ready for
    >> harvest.
    >>
    >> I've looked in the latest BBB and Ball Home Preserving (sounds like a
    >> title of a repair guide) book, but neither mentions bok choy. Since
    >> there is more than just greens involved (the white stalk portions of
    >> the plant) I don't know if the directions for greens would be quite
    >> the right thing either.
    >>
    >> Any experience with bok choy out there? Or any ideas for how to handle
    >> it for successful freezing?
    >>
    >> TIA.
    >>
    >> Nyssa, whose garden is promising to be a good one this year after two
    >> years of marauding snow geese and drought
    >>

    > The only way I've seen anyone preserve bok choy is by dehydrating it and
    > then rehydrating it when needed in soups and stews. Doesn't freeze well,
    > doesn't can in a jar well. Best eaten fresh or take the excess to the
    > farmers market to sell or give to the neighbors.


    Thanks for the information, George.

    I've already loaded one neighbor down with as much as she can use
    (it was a new vegetable for her and I'm glad she likes it so much), and
    the other refuses to try it. No farmers market around here either.

    If I get desperate, I guess I can drag out my little-used dehydrador
    and give it a try. I usually use bok choy steamed or stir fried or
    fresh in salads, so soups would be a new adventure. Any hints on prep
    or time in the dehydrator?

    My broccoli is coming all at once too. At least I know I can successfully
    freeze some of that. I guess a crawl up into my hot attic to get my
    blanching pot down is in order. Mmmm I think I'll wait until early
    tomorrow morning when it should be cooler.

    Nyssa, who is so glad to have a problem of too much this year instead
    of either not enough or none at all


  4. #4
    George Shirley Guest

    Default Re: Freezing bok choy?

    On 5/23/2011 1:41 PM, Nyssa wrote:
    > George Shirley wrote:
    >
    >> On 5/23/2011 9:44 AM, Nyssa wrote:
    >>> I've been growing some dwarf bok choy in the garden this spring, and
    >>> have been enjoying it, but now I've got more than I can use ready for
    >>> harvest.
    >>>
    >>> I've looked in the latest BBB and Ball Home Preserving (sounds like a
    >>> title of a repair guide) book, but neither mentions bok choy. Since
    >>> there is more than just greens involved (the white stalk portions of
    >>> the plant) I don't know if the directions for greens would be quite
    >>> the right thing either.
    >>>
    >>> Any experience with bok choy out there? Or any ideas for how to handle
    >>> it for successful freezing?
    >>>
    >>> TIA.
    >>>
    >>> Nyssa, whose garden is promising to be a good one this year after two
    >>> years of marauding snow geese and drought
    >>>

    >> The only way I've seen anyone preserve bok choy is by dehydrating it and
    >> then rehydrating it when needed in soups and stews. Doesn't freeze well,
    >> doesn't can in a jar well. Best eaten fresh or take the excess to the
    >> farmers market to sell or give to the neighbors.

    >
    > Thanks for the information, George.
    >
    > I've already loaded one neighbor down with as much as she can use
    > (it was a new vegetable for her and I'm glad she likes it so much), and
    > the other refuses to try it. No farmers market around here either.
    >
    > If I get desperate, I guess I can drag out my little-used dehydrador
    > and give it a try. I usually use bok choy steamed or stir fried or
    > fresh in salads, so soups would be a new adventure. Any hints on prep
    > or time in the dehydrator?
    >
    > My broccoli is coming all at once too. At least I know I can successfully
    > freeze some of that. I guess a crawl up into my hot attic to get my
    > blanching pot down is in order. Mmmm I think I'll wait until early
    > tomorrow morning when it should be cooler.
    >
    > Nyssa, who is so glad to have a problem of too much this year instead
    > of either not enough or none at all
    >

    Probably have to keep an eye on it while drying. I do that with a lot of
    herbs such as parsley, leaf celery, dill, etc. When it feels dry to the
    touch without any give to it it is generally ready. I haven't done bok
    choy in years as, like you, a little seed goes a very long way and just
    how much stir fry can two people eat.

    Once dehydrated I store them in airtight jars or containers and just
    grab a handful and toss into whatever I'm cooking that looks like it
    could use it. Good luck.

    We're in drought conditions here, Big Muddy is sending tons of water
    down to the Gulf but no rain is falling here and no drainage water is
    coming our way. City has us on watering restrictions right now, possibly
    will turn us loose on the 25th. Seems one of larger water mains burst
    and partially drained the three gravity towers we have in our city.

  5. #5
    Melba's Jammin' Guest

    Default Re: Freezing bok choy?

    In article <irdrub$dud$[email protected]>, Nyssa <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > I've been growing some dwarf bok choy in the garden this spring, and
    > have been enjoying it, but now I've got more than I can use ready for
    > harvest.
    >
    > I've looked in the latest BBB and Ball Home Preserving (sounds like a
    > title of a repair guide) book, but neither mentions bok choy. Since
    > there is more than just greens involved (the white stalk portions of
    > the plant) I don't know if the directions for greens would be quite
    > the right thing either.
    >
    > Any experience with bok choy out there? Or any ideas for how to handle
    > it for successful freezing?
    >
    > TIA.
    >
    > Nyssa, whose garden is promising to be a good one this year after two
    > years of marauding snow geese and drought


    If there is no info, Nyssa, it is likely because it's not recommended
    for frozen or canned storage. :-( OTOH, if you trimmed the white
    rib out, rinsed and dried the leaves and froze them on a cookie sheet
    (loose) and put them into a plastic bag for freezer storage, they
    *might* be okay for a stir-fry, as long as you don't expect them to be
    crisp or anything.

    --
    Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
    Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
    "Always in a jam, never in a stew; sometimes in a pickle."
    Pepparkakor particulars posted 11-29-2010;
    http://web.me.com/barbschaller

  6. #6
    songbird Guest

    Default Re: Freezing bok choy?

    Nyssa wrote:
    > I've been growing some dwarf bok choy in the garden this spring, and
    > have been enjoying it, but now I've got more than I can use ready for
    > harvest.
    >
    > I've looked in the latest BBB and Ball Home Preserving (sounds like a
    > title of a repair guide) book, but neither mentions bok choy. Since
    > there is more than just greens involved (the white stalk portions of
    > the plant) I don't know if the directions for greens would be quite
    > the right thing either.
    >
    > Any experience with bok choy out there? Or any ideas for how to handle
    > it for successful freezing?


    none other than i know i like to eat it.


    > TIA.
    >
    > Nyssa, whose garden is promising to be a good one this year after two
    > years of marauding snow geese and drought




    various ideas come to mind:

    slice it up and put it in a mix
    of water, sugar and vinegar. add
    onions or whatever else you might
    like. keeps in the fridge for a
    while. becomes the sweet and sour
    component of many other dishes or
    enjoyed uncooked and eaten crunchy.

    maybe it could be pickled? i've
    never pickled cabbage as i like
    saurkraut, but perhaps it would
    come out ok? if blanched lightly
    and then processed you might keep
    some texture and crispness.

    can you make saurkraut out of it?

    do you like kimchee?

    isn't it used in eggrolls? i
    know those freeze ok.


    songbird

  7. #7
    Doug Freyburger Guest

    Default Re: Freezing bok choy?

    songbird wrote:
    >
    > isn't it used in eggrolls? i know those freeze ok.


    Eggrolls use cabbage. That's a general classification not a specific
    vegitable so it would include bok choy if that's the cabbage class
    veggie on hand. Eggrolls are cooked before freezing - Not sure if that
    effects the original question.

  8. #8
    Storrmmee Guest

    Default Re: Freezing bok choy?

    that is an excellent idea if you like eggrolls, not only do you use up the
    vegetable but you have prepared food for easy snacks, Lee
    "Doug Freyburger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:irgiak$m7a$[email protected]..
    > songbird wrote:
    >>
    >> isn't it used in eggrolls? i know those freeze ok.

    >
    > Eggrolls use cabbage. That's a general classification not a specific
    > vegitable so it would include bok choy if that's the cabbage class
    > veggie on hand. Eggrolls are cooked before freezing - Not sure if that
    > effects the original question.




Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32