Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: Your rec for a 6 inch chef's knife in the 50 buck range?

  1. #1
    Kalmia Guest

    Default Your rec for a 6 inch chef's knife in the 50 buck range?

    I'm considering this for a shower gift. No Cuisinart please - they're
    on my s list, if you recall my waffle iron.) Or do you think an 8
    incher would be a better choice? TIA.

  2. #2
    Aussie-PL Guest

    Default Re: Your rec for a 6 inch chef's knife in the 50 buck range?

    Kalmia <[email protected]> wrote in news:845e0734-1fb0-49d4-9cf7-
    [email protected]:

    > I'm considering this for a shower gift. No Cuisinart please - they're
    > on my s list, if you recall my waffle iron.) Or do you think an 8
    > incher would be a better choice? TIA.
    >





    Some many to choose from.... so little time!!!


    http://www.petersofkensington.com.au...o.aspx?cid=583
    &category=true


    http://tinyurl.com/4sjnle3



    --
    Peter Lucas
    Hobart
    Tasmania

    "As we weep for what we have lost, and as we grieve for family and friends
    and we confront the challenge that is before us, I want us to remember who we
    are.

    We are Queenslanders.

    We're the people that they breed tough, north of the border.

    We're the ones that they knock down, and we get up again."

  3. #3
    notbob Guest

    Default Re: Your rec for a 6 inch chef's knife in the 50 buck range?

    On 2011-01-21, Kalmia <[email protected]> wrote:

    > on my s list, if you recall my waffle iron.) Or do you think an 8
    > incher would be a better choice? TIA.


    Yes! I started with an 6" chefs knife. OK for me, cooking for only
    one person. When I needed to do some knife work for more than one
    serving, though, a longer knife would have made it easier. If you can
    only afford one knife, get an 8" chef.

    nb

  4. #4
    Chemo the Clown Guest

    Default Re: Your rec for a 6 inch chef's knife in the 50 buck range?

    On Jan 21, 12:55*pm, Kalmia <tweeny90...@mypacks.net> wrote:
    *Or do you think an 8 incher would be a better choice? *TIA.

    You are talking about a knife, aren't ya?

  5. #5
    Andy Guest

    Default Re: Your rec for a 6 inch chef's knife in the 50 buck range?

    "Aussie-PL" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Kalmia <[email protected]> wrote in news:845e0734-1fb0-49d4-

    9cf7-
    > [email protected]:
    >
    >> I'm considering this for a shower gift. No Cuisinart please -

    they're
    >> on my s list, if you recall my waffle iron.) Or do you think an 8
    >> incher would be a better choice? TIA.



    It's considered bad luck to give a knife to a an engaged to be married
    couple.

    From http://alturl.com/h6xeh:

    "There is a superstition that goes along with it. A friend of my
    mother's bought my knife set for my shower. I had to give her a nickel
    or it would have been bad luck. Hey you go along with some of them to
    make people feel better. Apparently if you give someone a knife or
    knives (same goes with scissors) it is bad luck. But if you bought them
    from them (hence the penny or nickel) then it is OK. I don't make this
    stuff up. I can't - it's just too weird. I don't believe in these things
    but like I said if it makes others feel better and it is relatively
    harmless then I'll go along with it."

    Andy



  6. #6
    Chemo the Clown Guest

    Default Re: Your rec for a 6 inch chef's knife in the 50 buck range?

    On Jan 21, 1:25*pm, Andy <a...@b.c> wrote:
    > "Aussie-PL" <Aussie...@home.upstairs.in.brisbane> wrote:
    > > Kalmia <tweeny90...@mypacks.net> wrote in news:845e0734-1fb0-49d4-

    > 9cf7-
    > > 70a39b06e...@t35g2000yqj.googlegroups.com:

    >
    > >> I'm considering this for a shower gift. *No Cuisinart please -

    > they're
    > >> on my s list, if you recall my waffle iron.) *Or do you think an 8
    > >> incher would be a better choice? *TIA.

    >
    > It's considered bad luck to give a knife to a an engaged to be married
    > couple.
    >
    > Fromhttp://alturl.com/h6xeh:
    >
    > "There is a superstition that goes along with it. A friend of my
    > mother's bought my knife set for my shower. I had to give her a nickel
    > or it would have been bad luck. Hey you go along with some of them to
    > make people feel better. Apparently if you give someone a knife or
    > knives (same goes with scissors) it is bad luck. But if you bought them
    > from them (hence the penny or nickel) then it is OK. I don't make this
    > stuff up. I can't - it's just too weird. I don't believe in these things
    > but like I said if it makes others feel better and it is relatively
    > harmless then I'll go along with it."
    >
    > Andy


    Yeah, yeah, yeah...and you probably believe that crap too!

  7. #7
    J. Clarke Guest

    Default Re: Your rec for a 6 inch chef's knife in the 50 buck range?

    In article <845e0734-1fb0-49d4-9cf7-70a39b06e2a4
    @t35g2000yqj.googlegroups.com>, [email protected] says...
    >
    > I'm considering this for a shower gift. No Cuisinart please - they're
    > on my s list, if you recall my waffle iron.) Or do you think an 8
    > incher would be a better choice? TIA.


    If they don't already have an 8 inch chef's knife that would be a good
    starter. It's not in the 50 buck range, more like the 30 buck range,
    but take a look at the Victorinox Fibrox.





  8. #8
    zxcvbob Guest

    Default Re: Your rec for a 6 inch chef's knife in the 50 buck range?

    Kalmia wrote:
    > I'm considering this for a shower gift. No Cuisinart please - they're
    > on my s list, if you recall my waffle iron.) Or do you think an 8
    > incher would be a better choice? TIA.



    Sam's Club has 7" Santoku pattern chefs knives in a 2-pack blister
    package for less than $20, and they are good knives. Made in Brazil
    by Tramontina.

    If you want something a little nicer, goto a restaurant supply or
    butcher supply store and look for R.H. Forschner brand, also sometimes
    branded Victorinox (the Swiss Army Knife people.)

    The next step up from Forschner is a brand called "F.Dick". They look
    about like Forschner but the steel is forged instead of stamped.

    -Bob

  9. #9
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: Your rec for a 6 inch chef's knife in the 50 buck range?

    Kalmia wrote:
    >
    >I'm considering this for a shower gift. No Cuisinart please - they're
    >on my s list, if you recall my waffle iron.) Or do you think an 8
    >incher would be a better choice? TIA.


    Poor choice of gift... would you buy someone shoes without their
    feet... perhaps give a gift certificate to a kitchen cutlery shop.

  10. #10
    none of your business Guest

    Default Re: Your rec for a 6 inch chef's knife in the 50 buck range?

    On Jan 21, 3:55*pm, Kalmia <tweeny90...@mypacks.net> wrote:
    > I'm considering this for a shower gift. *No Cuisinart please - they're
    > on my s list, if you recall my waffle iron.) *Or do you think an 8
    > incher would be a better choice? *TIA.


    Hard to purchase knives for someone else unless they have registered
    for a particular one. Knives are very personal tools. You have to test
    drive them yourself. I wouldn't like a knife for a gift unless I
    selected it myself.
    Why not just buy something from their gift registry?

  11. #11
    ImStillMags Guest

    Default Re: Your rec for a 6 inch chef's knife in the 50 buck range?

    On Jan 21, 12:55*pm, Kalmia <tweeny90...@mypacks.net> wrote:
    > I'm considering this for a shower gift. *No Cuisinart please - they're
    > on my s list, if you recall my waffle iron.) *Or do you think an 8
    > incher would be a better choice? *TIA.


    I use this knife almost exclusively anymore. Best one I've ever
    had.

    http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-475...5649571&sr=8-4


  12. #12
    Melba's Jammin' Guest

    Default Re: Your rec for a 6 inch chef's knife in the 50 buck range?

    In article
    <[email protected]>,
    Kalmia <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I'm considering this for a shower gift. No Cuisinart please - they're
    > on my s list, if you recall my waffle iron.) Or do you think an 8
    > incher would be a better choice? TIA.


    I have both 6" and 8" Henckels 4-star knives. I use the 6" more than
    the 8". Had them so long I no longer remember what they cost.

    --
    Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
    Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
    "Always in a jam, never in a stew; sometimes in a pickle."
    Pepparkakor particulars posted 11-29-2010;
    http://web.me.com/barbschaller

  13. #13
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: Your rec for a 6 inch chef's knife in the 50 buck range?

    On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 17:04:35 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In article
    ><[email protected]>,
    > Kalmia <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> I'm considering this for a shower gift. No Cuisinart please - they're
    >> on my s list, if you recall my waffle iron.) Or do you think an 8
    >> incher would be a better choice? TIA.

    >
    >I have both 6" and 8" Henckels 4-star knives. I use the 6" more than
    >the 8". Had them so long I no longer remember what they cost.


    Back then when dirt was still young probably less than $10, each! LOL

  14. #14
    merryb Guest

    Default Re: Your rec for a 6 inch chef's knife in the 50 buck range?

    On Jan 21, 2:33*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
    > Kalmia wrote:
    >
    > >I'm considering this for a shower gift. *No Cuisinart please - they're
    > >on my s list, if you recall my waffle iron.) *Or do you think an 8
    > >incher would be a better choice? *TIA.

    >
    > Poor choice of gift... would you buy someone shoes without their
    > feet... perhaps give a gift certificate to a kitchen cutlery shop.


    Agree- everyone is different, and not everyone will like the same
    knife...

  15. #15
    Kent Guest

    Default Re: Your rec for a 6 inch chef's knife in the 50 buck range?


    "ImStillMags" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    On Jan 21, 12:55 pm, Kalmia <tweeny90...@mypacks.net> wrote:
    > I'm considering this for a shower gift. No Cuisinart please - they're
    > on my s list, if you recall my waffle iron.) Or do you think an 8
    > incher would be a better choice? TIA.


    >I use this knife almost exclusively anymore. Best one I've ever
    >had.


    >http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-47529-Fibrox-Granton-Santoku/dp/B000QCPNWM/ref=sr_1_4?>
    >ie=UTF8&qid=1295649571&sr=8-4
    >
    >

    Of the 15 or so knives we have by far the most common I use is the 8" Chef's
    knife. It's important to get a good carbon steel blade that will hold its
    edge. That's, I think, what determines the cost. The Santoku knife, above,
    is too straight to mince finely, whereas the large 8" knife minces fine. The
    Santoku knife carves well, but so does the chef's.

    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_ho...f+knife+8+inch

    Kent







  16. #16
    Chemiker Guest

    Default Re: Your rec for a 6 inch chef's knife in the 50 buck range?

    On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 15:25:45 -0600, Andy <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Aussie-PL" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Kalmia <[email protected]> wrote in news:845e0734-1fb0-49d4-

    >9cf7-
    >> [email protected]:
    >>
    >>> I'm considering this for a shower gift. No Cuisinart please -

    >they're
    >>> on my s list, if you recall my waffle iron.) Or do you think an 8
    >>> incher would be a better choice? TIA.

    >
    >
    >It's considered bad luck to give a knife to a an engaged to be married
    >couple.
    >
    >From http://alturl.com/h6xeh:
    >
    >"There is a superstition that goes along with it. A friend of my
    >mother's bought my knife set for my shower. I had to give her a nickel
    >or it would have been bad luck. Hey you go along with some of them to
    >make people feel better. Apparently if you give someone a knife or
    >knives (same goes with scissors) it is bad luck. But if you bought them
    >from them (hence the penny or nickel) then it is OK. I don't make this
    >stuff up. I can't - it's just too weird. I don't believe in these things
    >but like I said if it makes others feel better and it is relatively
    >harmless then I'll go along with it."


    FWIW: I grew up with this one. An iron knife cuts, and by sympathetic
    magic calls for a shearing of the new union. The force of iron is
    broken by silver, so if the knife is *bought* for silver, the shearing
    power is broken. Hence, the bride/groom must give the donor a silver
    coin or item to *buy* the knife. This must be done *first*, so that
    when the knife is received it is already the property of the
    recipients, and having been bought, is powerless to enact the wishes
    of the donor. Nickel does not cut it, pun not intended.

    If you think this one is strange, the most powerful item in the
    kitchen is probably the sieve, as it sorts the good/desired from the
    bad/undesirable, and, when asked, can exert this power on humans.

    Alex

  17. #17
    Kent Guest

    Default Re: Your rec for a 6 inch chef's knife in the 50 buck range?


    "Kalmia" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm considering this for a shower gift. No Cuisinart please - they're
    > on my s list, if you recall my waffle iron.) Or do you think an 8
    > incher would be a better choice? TIA.
    >
    >

    If I were looking to replace my chef's knife I'd look at this before
    spending twice as much on its German counterpart.
    http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/v...cm_ite=K176665
    As you may well know, Tramontina is a German company harbored in South
    America. I think they began shortly following the end of World War II. They
    make very high quality products at good prices.

    I wouldn't get a 6" chef's knife. It isn't long enough for carving a roast,
    or turkey etc.

    Kent




  18. #18
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: Your rec for a 6 inch chef's knife in the 50 buck range?

    On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 15:28:27 -0800, "Kent" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >
    >"Kalmia" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> I'm considering this for a shower gift. No Cuisinart please - they're
    >> on my s list, if you recall my waffle iron.) Or do you think an 8
    >> incher would be a better choice? TIA.
    >>
    >>

    >If I were looking to replace my chef's knife I'd look at this before
    >spending twice as much on its German counterpart.
    >http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/v...cm_ite=K176665
    >As you may well know, Tramontina is a German company harbored in South
    >America. I think they began shortly following the end of World War II. They
    >make very high quality products at good prices.
    >
    >I wouldn't get a 6" chef's knife. It isn't long enough for carving a roast,
    >or turkey etc.


    ---> http://www.wusthof.com/desktopdefault.aspx

  19. #19
    spamtrap1888 Guest

    Default Re: Your rec for a 6 inch chef's knife in the 50 buck range?

    On Jan 21, 12:55*pm, Kalmia <tweeny90...@mypacks.net> wrote:
    > I'm considering this for a shower gift. *No Cuisinart please - they're
    > on my s list, if you recall my waffle iron.) *Or do you think an 8
    > incher would be a better choice? *TIA.


    I've used an eight inch Forgecraft (high carbon steel) knife for
    years, for cutting just about everything but bread. (It was my
    mother's.) It rocks (literally) to make slicing carrots and celery
    easy. For me, six inches is too short while ten inches is too long.

  20. #20
    Boron Elgar Guest

    Default Re: Your rec for a 6 inch chef's knife in the 50 buck range?

    On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 17:19:21 -0800 (PST), spamtrap1888
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >For me, six inches is too short while ten inches is too long.


    I'm sorry, but seeing that out of context is such a delight, I
    couldn't resist.

    Boron

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32