Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: You learn something every day....

  1. #1
    injipoint Guest

    Default You learn something every day....

    Went over to the Safeway in Chester or Stevensville - don't know which
    because the Safeway site won't show any stores there. Keeps telling me
    to enter a valid city zip or town/state. Well, I doubt if I could have
    keyed in any more possible combinations of the above without using a
    different alphabet but that's their problem if people can't find their
    stores.

    Asked one of the staff for some UHT or LongLife milk. He went away and
    asked someone else - neither of them knew what it was, and suggested Soy
    or any of that other stuff made from beans and nuts.

    I was intrigued by this and hunted around on the net when we got back to
    the boat. Turns out, it is kept in the fridge in America, even though
    it doesn't have to be, because Americans like their milk cold (so do
    we!) and won't buy it if it's not refrigerated. So the marketers put
    UHT or LongLife in the fridge and simply put "Ultra High Pasteurised"
    and stuff like that on the cartons.

    This country is full of little trips and turns for the uninitiated. It's
    going to take a while to acclimatise and understand.


  2. #2
    Julie Bove Guest

    Default Re: You learn something every day....

    injipoint wrote:
    > Went over to the Safeway in Chester or Stevensville - don't know which
    > because the Safeway site won't show any stores there. Keeps telling
    > me to enter a valid city zip or town/state. Well, I doubt if I could
    > have keyed in any more possible combinations of the above without
    > using a different alphabet but that's their problem if people can't
    > find their stores.
    >
    > Asked one of the staff for some UHT or LongLife milk. He went away
    > and asked someone else - neither of them knew what it was, and
    > suggested Soy or any of that other stuff made from beans and nuts.
    >
    > I was intrigued by this and hunted around on the net when we got back
    > to the boat. Turns out, it is kept in the fridge in America, even
    > though it doesn't have to be, because Americans like their milk cold
    > (so do we!) and won't buy it if it's not refrigerated. So the
    > marketers put UHT or LongLife in the fridge and simply put "Ultra
    > High Pasteurised" and stuff like that on the cartons.
    >
    > This country is full of little trips and turns for the uninitiated.
    > It's going to take a while to acclimatise and understand.


    That's not true! Could be in that store but it's certainly not in others.
    I don't think I have ever bought any at a Safeway but don't remember if it's
    because I couldn't find it or not. I have bought it at QFC and Top Foods.
    Don't think I have seen it at Albertsons either. My term for it is shelf
    stable milk.

    For the most part we use very little milk. But my husband does drink it or
    use it on cereal when he is home. Since we often don't know ahead of time
    when he will be home, I get this kind and keep it onhand.

    The only time I have seen it in the fridge is in the single serve boxes from
    Horizon. I only assume this is the shelf stable kind because I have bought
    the chocolate at Costco and it is never refrigerated. Daughter does drink
    some chocolate but can't ever finish a case of it before it goes bad.



  3. #3
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: You learn something every day....

    On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 18:21:40 -0400, injipoint wrote:

    > Went over to the Safeway in Chester or Stevensville - don't know which
    > because the Safeway site won't show any stores there. Keeps telling me
    > to enter a valid city zip or town/state. Well, I doubt if I could have
    > keyed in any more possible combinations of the above without using a
    > different alphabet but that's their problem if people can't find their
    > stores.


    Well, I've lost my interest in this post already.

    <snip rest unread>

    -sw

  4. #4
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: You learn something every day....

    On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 18:21:40 -0400, injipoint wrote:

    > I was intrigued by this and hunted around on the net when we got back to
    > the boat. Turns out, it is kept in the fridge in America, even though
    > it doesn't have to be, because Americans like their milk cold (so do
    > we!) and won't buy it if it's not refrigerated. So the marketers put
    > UHT or LongLife in the fridge and simply put "Ultra High Pasteurised"
    > and stuff like that on the cartons.


    Eeek. Milk here is flas- pasteurized in the US. It is not shelf
    stable. We like it two weeks old or less.

    No ****ing wonder Australia/NZ doesn't put out any decent cheese.
    They don't even know what *milk* is!

    -sw

  5. #5
    Nancy Young Guest

    Default Re: You learn something every day....

    On 7/1/2011 6:21 PM, injipoint wrote:

    > Asked one of the staff for some UHT or LongLife milk. He went away and
    > asked someone else - neither of them knew what it was, and suggested Soy
    > or any of that other stuff made from beans and nuts.


    They might remember the name Parmalat, though I don't know if that's a
    brand any more.

    > I was intrigued by this and hunted around on the net when we got back to
    > the boat. Turns out, it is kept in the fridge in America, even though it
    > doesn't have to be, because Americans like their milk cold (so do we!)
    > and won't buy it if it's not refrigerated. So the marketers put UHT or
    > LongLife in the fridge and simply put "Ultra High Pasteurised" and stuff
    > like that on the cartons.


    It's not refrigerated where I shop.

    > This country is full of little trips and turns for the uninitiated. It's
    > going to take a while to acclimatise and understand.


    That's pretty much true whenever you move somewhere new. Liquor
    laws are always a treat to figure out. I don't think it's confusing
    where I live, you want booze, you go to the liquor store. This is
    confusing to people accustomed to buying beer in the supermarket.
    That's the way it goes.

    nancy

  6. #6
    Julie Bove Guest

    Default Re: You learn something every day....


    "Sqwertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 18:21:40 -0400, injipoint wrote:
    >
    >> I was intrigued by this and hunted around on the net when we got back to
    >> the boat. Turns out, it is kept in the fridge in America, even though
    >> it doesn't have to be, because Americans like their milk cold (so do
    >> we!) and won't buy it if it's not refrigerated. So the marketers put
    >> UHT or LongLife in the fridge and simply put "Ultra High Pasteurised"
    >> and stuff like that on the cartons.

    >
    > Eeek. Milk here is flas- pasteurized in the US. It is not shelf
    > stable. We like it two weeks old or less.
    >
    > No ****ing wonder Australia/NZ doesn't put out any decent cheese.
    > They don't even know what *milk* is!
    >
    > -sw




  7. #7
    Julie Bove Guest

    Default Re: You learn something every day....


    "Sqwertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 18:21:40 -0400, injipoint wrote:
    >
    >> I was intrigued by this and hunted around on the net when we got back to
    >> the boat. Turns out, it is kept in the fridge in America, even though
    >> it doesn't have to be, because Americans like their milk cold (so do
    >> we!) and won't buy it if it's not refrigerated. So the marketers put
    >> UHT or LongLife in the fridge and simply put "Ultra High Pasteurised"
    >> and stuff like that on the cartons.

    >
    > Eeek. Milk here is flas- pasteurized in the US. It is not shelf
    > stable. We like it two weeks old or less.
    >
    > No ****ing wonder Australia/NZ doesn't put out any decent cheese.
    > They don't even know what *milk* is!
    >
    > -sw




  8. #8
    Julie Bove Guest

    Default Re: You learn something every day....

    Sqwertz wrote:
    > On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 18:21:40 -0400, injipoint wrote:
    >
    >> I was intrigued by this and hunted around on the net when we got
    >> back to the boat. Turns out, it is kept in the fridge in America,
    >> even though it doesn't have to be, because Americans like their milk
    >> cold (so do we!) and won't buy it if it's not refrigerated. So the
    >> marketers put UHT or LongLife in the fridge and simply put "Ultra
    >> High Pasteurised" and stuff like that on the cartons.

    >
    > Eeek. Milk here is flas- pasteurized in the US. It is not shelf
    > stable. We like it two weeks old or less.
    >
    > No ****ing wonder Australia/NZ doesn't put out any decent cheese.
    > They don't even know what *milk* is!
    >
    > -sw


    You can get shelf stable milk here but it's not all that common.



  9. #9
    injipoint Guest

    Default Re: You learn something every day....

    On 1/07/2011 8:07 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
    > On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 18:21:40 -0400, injipoint wrote:
    >
    >> I was intrigued by this and hunted around on the net when we got back to
    >> the boat. Turns out, it is kept in the fridge in America, even though
    >> it doesn't have to be, because Americans like their milk cold (so do
    >> we!) and won't buy it if it's not refrigerated. So the marketers put
    >> UHT or LongLife in the fridge and simply put "Ultra High Pasteurised"
    >> and stuff like that on the cartons.

    >
    > Eeek. Milk here is flas- pasteurized in the US. It is not shelf
    > stable. We like it two weeks old or less.
    >
    > No ****ing wonder Australia/NZ doesn't put out any decent cheese.
    > They don't even know what *milk* is!
    >
    > -sw


    We do, actually. I come from a dairy farming area. Good milk simply
    won't keep on our boat.

  10. #10
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: You learn something every day....

    On Fri, 1 Jul 2011 19:29:56 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:

    > You can get shelf stable milk here but it's not all that common.


    I know it as "Carnation". Comes in powdered form.

    -sw

  11. #11
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: You learn something every day....

    On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 22:37:04 -0400, injipoint wrote:

    > On 1/07/2011 8:07 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
    >
    >> Eeek. Milk here is flash pasteurized in the US. It is not shelf
    >> stable. We like it two weeks old or less.

    >
    > We do, actually. I come from a dairy farming area. Good milk simply
    > won't keep on our boat.


    I thought it was your "Standard" milk. My bad.

    -sw

  12. #12
    Julie Bove Guest

    Default Re: You learn something every day....


    "Sqwertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > On Fri, 1 Jul 2011 19:29:56 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
    >
    >> You can get shelf stable milk here but it's not all that common.

    >
    > I know it as "Carnation". Comes in powdered form.


    That's not the same thing. That's dried or powdered milk. And yes there is
    evaporated milk as well. I used to always keep a can of that in the house
    when my daughter was young.

    This stuff comes in a box like rice, almond, hemp or soy milk. Either
    single serve or larger. The best price I've found is at Dollar Tree but
    they are not near here so I don't get there often.



  13. #13
    Boron Elgar Guest

    Default Re: You learn something every day....

    On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 20:18:56 -0400, Nancy Young
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On 7/1/2011 6:21 PM, injipoint wrote:
    >
    >> Asked one of the staff for some UHT or LongLife milk. He went away and
    >> asked someone else - neither of them knew what it was, and suggested Soy
    >> or any of that other stuff made from beans and nuts.

    >
    >They might remember the name Parmalat, though I don't know if that's a
    >brand any more.


    Horizon. It's all over the place. They call it "milk boxes." UHT
    scares some folks.
    >
    >> I was intrigued by this and hunted around on the net when we got back to
    >> the boat. Turns out, it is kept in the fridge in America, even though it
    >> doesn't have to be, because Americans like their milk cold (so do we!)
    >> and won't buy it if it's not refrigerated. So the marketers put UHT or
    >> LongLife in the fridge and simply put "Ultra High Pasteurised" and stuff
    >> like that on the cartons.

    >
    >It's not refrigerated where I shop.


    Nor where I do. It's on the shelf near the boxed drinks or the dry
    milk.

    Boron


  14. #14
    Janet Guest

    Default Re: You learn something every day....

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]t says...
    >
    > On Fri, 1 Jul 2011 19:29:56 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
    >
    > > You can get shelf stable milk here but it's not all that common.

    >
    > I know it as "Carnation". Comes in powdered form.


    Julie and the OP are talking about UHT wet milk in a carton. The milk
    is Ultra-Heat-Treated ( twice as hot as pasteurisation) and an unopened
    carton, not refrigerated, will keep for months. Its very commonly seen
    here in those little plastic tubs that come with coffee and tea in cafe's
    etc; but you can buy litre packs in any supermarket. I hate it as much as
    any cooked milk in tea or coffee but don't mind it on cereal so always
    keep one in the pantry as a back-up in case we run out of fresh milk. The
    the taste difference is unnoticeable if you use it in cooking.

    http://www.fao.org/DOCREP/003/X6511E/X6511E01.htm

    In countries or locations which either don't have a big dairy industry,
    or are too remote from suppliers of fresh, most of the milk on sale/in
    hotels is UHT. Italy is a sad example :-)

    Janet





  15. #15
    John Smythe Guest

    Default Re: You learn something every day....

    Sqwertz wrote:
    > On Fri, 1 Jul 2011 19:29:56 -0700, Julie Bove
    > wrote:
    >
    >> You can get shelf stable milk here but it's not
    >> all that common.

    >
    > I know it as "Carnation". Comes in powdered form.
    >
    > -sw


    That, and canned evaporated. I believe that
    Carnation makes it, too.



  16. #16
    Nancy Young Guest

    Default Re: You learn something every day....

    On 7/1/2011 11:11 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:
    > On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 20:18:56 -0400, Nancy Young
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> On 7/1/2011 6:21 PM, injipoint wrote:
    >>
    >>> Asked one of the staff for some UHT or LongLife milk. He went away and
    >>> asked someone else - neither of them knew what it was, and suggested Soy
    >>> or any of that other stuff made from beans and nuts.

    >>
    >> They might remember the name Parmalat, though I don't know if that's a
    >> brand any more.

    >
    > Horizon. It's all over the place. They call it "milk boxes." UHT
    > scares some folks.


    Ah. I know there was some big problem with the Parmalat company, I
    I didn't know who cornered the market after that. I thought maybe for
    the people in that grocery store, Parmalat might ring a bell.

    >> It's not refrigerated where I shop.

    >
    > Nor where I do. It's on the shelf near the boxed drinks or the dry
    > milk.


    Last time I noticed it, it was near the orange juice but not
    in the refrigerated case. I think there is a lot of competition
    for that space and costly to keep something there if it didn't
    have to be.

    nancy

  17. #17
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: You learn something every day....

    On Sat, 02 Jul 2011 08:22:26 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:

    > Last time I noticed it, it was near the orange juice but not
    > in the refrigerated case. I think there is a lot of competition
    > for that space and costly to keep something there if it didn't
    > have to be.


    I can see the selling point of keeping it in the refrigerated case.
    if it's kept cold it could be viewed as "less scary" than shelf-stable
    milk.

    -sw

  18. #18
    Giusi Guest

    Default Re: You learn something every day....


    "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio

    >>> They might remember the name Parmalat, though I don't know if that's a
    >>> brand any more.

    >>

    > Ah. I know there was some big problem with the Parmalat company, I
    > I didn't know who cornered the market after that. I thought maybe for the
    > people in that grocery store, Parmalat might ring a bell.


    Here's the bell. The CEO of Parmalat milked and bilked the company of
    billions, wrecked it completely. The stockholders, many of them retirees
    pension plans, got $0.00 for their investment. He, his wife and his
    children all played with the money as if it were a Monopoly game. Hand over
    fist.

    So far little has been recovered from the crook, who was also let out of
    prison for health reasons!!! Investors bought the wrecked company and
    reopened it and it still makes fine products although there was interruption
    to market and loss of market share. Probably partly because non-Italians
    remember there was a problem, but not what it was.



  19. #19
    Nancy Young Guest

    Default Re: You learn something every day....

    On 7/2/2011 12:03 PM, Giusi wrote:
    > "Nancy Young"<[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio


    >> Ah. I know there was some big problem with the Parmalat company, I
    >> I didn't know who cornered the market after that. I thought maybe for the
    >> people in that grocery store, Parmalat might ring a bell.

    >
    > Here's the bell. The CEO of Parmalat milked and bilked the company of
    > billions, wrecked it completely. The stockholders, many of them retirees
    > pension plans, got $0.00 for their investment. He, his wife and his
    > children all played with the money as if it were a Monopoly game. Hand over
    > fist.


    I remembered it as some massive financial fraud but not the details.
    Amazing how many people are perfectly willing to take someone's last
    dime, even from elderly people who have no way to catch up.

    > So far little has been recovered from the crook, who was also let out of
    > prison for health reasons!!!


    Seems reasonable. Heh.

    > Investors bought the wrecked company and
    > reopened it and it still makes fine products although there was interruption
    > to market and loss of market share. Probably partly because non-Italians
    > remember there was a problem, but not what it was.


    I only know the company for the UHT milk so I didn't know the name
    lives on.

    nancy

  20. #20
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: You learn something every day....

    On Sat, 2 Jul 2011 10:56:58 +0100, Janet <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]t says...
    >>
    >> On Fri, 1 Jul 2011 19:29:56 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
    >>
    >> > You can get shelf stable milk here but it's not all that common.

    >>
    >> I know it as "Carnation". Comes in powdered form.

    >
    > Julie and the OP are talking about UHT wet milk in a carton. The milk
    >is Ultra-Heat-Treated ( twice as hot as pasteurisation) and an unopened
    >carton, not refrigerated, will keep for months. Its very commonly seen
    >here in those little plastic tubs that come with coffee and tea in cafe's
    >etc; but you can buy litre packs in any supermarket. I hate it as much as
    >any cooked milk in tea or coffee but don't mind it on cereal so always
    >keep one in the pantry as a back-up in case we run out of fresh milk. The
    >the taste difference is unnoticeable if you use it in cooking.
    >
    > http://www.fao.org/DOCREP/003/X6511E/X6511E01.htm
    >
    > In countries or locations which either don't have a big dairy industry,
    >or are too remote from suppliers of fresh, most of the milk on sale/in
    >hotels is UHT. Italy is a sad example :-)


    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KLIM_(Nestl%C3%A9)

    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Klim-Insta....6-oz/15723801

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32