Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36

Thread: Would the Health Department shut down your kitchen?

  1. #1
    ImStillMags Guest

    Default Would the Health Department shut down your kitchen?

    Since we've had a lively discussion about whether or not we think it's
    ok to wash our hands in the sink......read this article.

    I'm sorry but this is way too much for a home kitchen. You guys
    know I'm a restauant owner, so I've dealth with all the Health
    Department rules and regulations and my restaurant always passed with
    A ratings.

    IMHO this inspector was over the top with this poor woman.

    Tell me if you agree.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/29/di...inspector.html

  2. #2
    notbob Guest

    Default Re: Would the Health Department shut down your kitchen?

    On 2010-09-28, ImStillMags <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Tell me if you agree.


    Since I'm not a member, I'm unable.

    nb

  3. #3
    Dan Abel Guest

    Default Re: Would the Health Department shut down your kitchen?

    In article <bbvoo.12163$[email protected]>,
    notbob <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On 2010-09-28, ImStillMags <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Tell me if you agree.

    >
    > Since I'm not a member, I'm unable.


    As an authorized member of the CABAL (TINC), hereby make you a member of
    this group so you can tell us whether you agree or disagree with this
    poster.

    --
    Dan Abel
    Petaluma, California USA
    [email protected]

  4. #4
    Cheryl Guest

    Default Re: Would the Health Department shut down your kitchen?

    "ImStillMags" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > Since we've had a lively discussion about whether or not we think it's
    > ok to wash our hands in the sink......read this article.
    >
    > I'm sorry but this is way too much for a home kitchen. You guys
    > know I'm a restauant owner, so I've dealth with all the Health
    > Department rules and regulations and my restaurant always passed with
    > A ratings.
    >
    > IMHO this inspector was over the top with this poor woman.
    >
    > Tell me if you agree.
    >
    > http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/29/di...inspector.html
    >


    I think it was totally silly for the author to even ask to be inspected in
    the first place. There are too many differences between a home kitchen and
    a public eating establishment. Especially when we're allowed to have pets
    in our homes.

    I'm not sure the purpose of the whole thing. But, it was an interesting
    read. Thanks.


  5. #5
    gloria.p Guest

    Default Re: Would the Health Department shut down your kitchen?

    ImStillMags wrote:
    > Since we've had a lively discussion about whether or not we think it's
    > ok to wash our hands in the sink......read this article.
    >
    > I'm sorry but this is way too much for a home kitchen. You guys
    > know I'm a restauant owner, so I've dealth with all the Health
    > Department rules and regulations and my restaurant always passed with
    > A ratings.
    >
    > IMHO this inspector was over the top with this poor woman.
    >
    > Tell me if you agree.
    >



    I agree. She was pretty picky.

    No one has ever gotten sick or died from eating food cooked in my house.

    Cracks in flooring could harbor bacteria? When is the last time you
    cut something up or cooked it on your floor?

    Cracks in cutting boards? Boards get cracks/slits every time you cut
    something. Sanitize the board after using and have enough so you don't
    have to reuse before sanitizing.

    gloria p


  6. #6
    Roy Guest

    Default Re: Would the Health Department shut down your kitchen?

    On Sep 28, 5:36*pm, ImStillMags <sitara8...@gmail.com> wrote:
    > Since we've had a lively discussion about whether or not we think it's
    > ok to wash our hands in the sink......read this article.
    >
    > I'm sorry but this is way too much for *a home kitchen. * You guys
    > know I'm a restauant owner, so I've dealth with all the Health
    > Department rules and regulations and my restaurant always passed with
    > A ratings.
    >
    > IMHO this inspector was over the top with this poor woman.
    >
    > Tell me if you agree.
    >
    > http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/29/di...inspector.html


    ==
    Yes, a bit much but after all she was supposed to be demonstrating the
    standards required for restaurant food prep and she did bend at the
    end and took pity on the homebody. The incorrect fridge temperature
    was definitely a no-no and I do agree with the no cats in the kitchen
    rule. Even when I had a dog she was not allowed in the kitchen except
    for she was in transit.
    ==


  7. #7
    spamtrap1888 Guest

    Default Re: Would the Health Department shut down your kitchen?

    On Sep 28, 4:36*pm, ImStillMags <sitara8...@gmail.com> wrote:
    > Since we've had a lively discussion about whether or not we think it's
    > ok to wash our hands in the sink......read this article.
    >
    > I'm sorry but this is way too much for *a home kitchen. * You guys
    > know I'm a restauant owner, so I've dealth with all the Health
    > Department rules and regulations and my restaurant always passed with
    > A ratings.
    >
    > IMHO this inspector was over the top with this poor woman.
    >
    > Tell me if you agree.
    >
    > http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/29/di...inspector.html


    Disagree. The author wanted a restaurant-quality inspection, and got
    it. The SJ Mercury News ran a similar article years ago, on
    volunteers' kitchens. One woman almost passed, except she allowed her
    dog in the kitchen. Keep hot food hot and cold food cold, Get oven and
    fridge thermometers and meat thermometers, as well as a pocket test
    thermometer. Nothing that collects dust, no surfaces that can't be
    wiped clean.

  8. #8
    Cindy Hamilton Guest

    Default Re: Would the Health Department shut down your kitchen?

    On Sep 28, 7:36*pm, ImStillMags <sitara8...@gmail.com> wrote:
    > Since we've had a lively discussion about whether or not we think it's
    > ok to wash our hands in the sink......read this article.
    >
    > I'm sorry but this is way too much for *a home kitchen. * You guys
    > know I'm a restauant owner, so I've dealth with all the Health
    > Department rules and regulations and my restaurant always passed with
    > A ratings.
    >
    > IMHO this inspector was over the top with this poor woman.
    >
    > Tell me if you agree.
    >
    > http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/29/di...inspector.html


    No, my kitchen would not pass. Some things that happen that I've
    seen in health inspection reports (which used to be synopsized
    in my local paper):

    Food/drink consumed while cooking
    Ready-to-eat food handled with bare hands
    Fresh produce stored below raw meat in refrigerator
    Foods not cooled properly
    The hand towel. 'Nuff said.
    No ice scoop.

    On the plus side, I use a fresh towel for drying what few
    dishes I wash by hand.

    Since the woman in the article invited the inspector to
    go over her kitchen as if it were a restaurant, I think
    she was not over the top.

    It was a stunt.

    Cindy Hamilton

  9. #9
    ImStillMags Guest

    Default Re: Would the Health Department shut down your kitchen?

    On Sep 28, 6:32*pm, spamtrap1888 <spamtrap1...@gmail.com> wrote:

    >
    > Disagree. The author wanted a restaurant-quality inspection, and got
    > it. The SJ Mercury News ran a similar article years ago, on
    > volunteers' kitchens. One woman almost passed, except she allowed her
    > dog in the kitchen. Keep hot food hot and cold food cold, Get oven and
    > fridge thermometers and meat thermometers, as well as a pocket test
    > thermometer. Nothing that collects dust, no surfaces that can't be
    > wiped clean.


    The basics of a clean kitchen I agree with wholeheartedly....remember
    I had a restaurant so I know about proper food handling. But a home
    kitchen is not a restaurant kitchen. You family is involved in your
    kitchen and it includes the whole family, including pets.

    Health Department regulations for industrial and institutional
    kitchens are there for the protection of the public.
    If you are conscious about proper food handling, refrigeration and
    sanitation of sinks and surfaces in your home kitchen you are fine.

    Unless you have a compromised immune system, the human body handles
    pretty much everything very well.
    If you handle foods properly, proper cooling and storage, etc., the
    stringent regulations imposed on commercial kitchens are not as
    applicable to the home.

    Nobody is talking about not cleaning or sanitizing or leaving foods
    out, etc. But your cat or your dog or your kids do not an unclean
    kitchen make.



  10. #10
    spamtrap1888 Guest

    Default Re: Would the Health Department shut down your kitchen?

    On Sep 29, 7:19*am, ImStillMags <sitara8...@gmail.com> wrote:
    > On Sep 28, 6:32*pm, spamtrap1888 <spamtrap1...@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    > > Disagree. The author wanted a restaurant-quality inspection, and got
    > > it. The SJ Mercury News ran a similar article years ago, on
    > > volunteers' kitchens. One woman almost passed, except she allowed her
    > > dog in the kitchen. Keep hot food hot and cold food cold, Get oven and
    > > fridge thermometers and meat thermometers, as well as a pocket test
    > > thermometer. Nothing that collects dust, no surfaces that can't be
    > > wiped clean.

    >
    > The basics of a clean kitchen I agree with wholeheartedly....remember
    > I had a restaurant so I know about proper food handling. * *But a home
    > kitchen is not a restaurant kitchen. * You family is involved in your
    > kitchen and it includes the whole family, including pets.
    >
    > Health Department regulations for industrial and institutional
    > kitchens are there for the protection of the public.
    > If you are conscious about proper food handling, refrigeration and
    > sanitation of sinks and surfaces in your home kitchen you are fine.


    I remember some more lessons from the SJMN article, applicable to
    every kitchen. The biggest one we were doing wrong was storing food
    next to cleaning supplies -- no storing food with poisons. Our past
    two fridges have a fresh meat drawer below everything else, and I made
    sure to get glass shelves instead of grates.to prevent items on one
    shelf dripping on others. We;ve always used a separate (black) plastic
    cuttingboard for meat, and I soak/wash it separately.

    >
    > Unless you have a compromised immune system, the human body handles
    > pretty much everything very well.
    > If you handle foods properly, proper cooling and storage, etc., the
    > stringent regulations imposed on commercial kitchens are not as
    > applicable to the home.
    >
    > Nobody is talking about not cleaning or sanitizing or leaving foods
    > out, etc. * But your cat or your dog or your kids do not an unclean
    > kitchen make.


    The fact that cats can jump up on counters does creep me out. Our dog
    stays on the floor.

  11. #11
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: Would the Health Department shut down your kitchen?

    ImStillMags wrote:

    >On Sep 28, 6:32*pm, spamtrap1888 <spamtrap1...@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> Disagree. The author wanted a restaurant-quality inspection, and got
    >> it. The SJ Mercury News ran a similar article years ago, on
    >> volunteers' kitchens. One woman almost passed, except she allowed her
    >> dog in the kitchen. Keep hot food hot and cold food cold, Get oven and
    >> fridge thermometers and meat thermometers, as well as a pocket test
    >> thermometer. Nothing that collects dust, no surfaces that can't be
    >> wiped clean.

    >
    >The basics of a clean kitchen I agree with wholeheartedly....remember
    >I had a restaurant so I know about proper food handling. But a home
    >kitchen is not a restaurant kitchen.


    Most home kitchens are cleaner and adhere to far better food safety
    standards than most restaurant kitchens... even trailer trash kitchens
    are cleaner than the local fast food joint... and the more upscale the
    eatery the more offensive their level of sanitation. Most
    Institutional kitchens are reasonably sanitary but no restaurant
    kitchen is... why do you think the health departments constantly
    inspect... and even then it's politics as usual, most inspectors are
    paid off (schmeared) to turn a blind eye... any restaurant that gets a
    clean bill of health somehow schupt the inspector that month (cash
    and/or a BJ goes a long way in any business dealings). Anytime there
    are several cooks and other employees traipsing about and the public
    involved it's impossible to keep sanitary. And health inspections
    nowadays are extremely lax, even hospital ORs are more and more often
    failing. Just because someone owns a restaurant doesn't impress me,
    in fact that makes me much more suspect of their food handling
    skills... those are whose home kitchen is a garbage dump.

  12. #12
    ImStillMags Guest

    Default Re: Would the Health Department shut down your kitchen?

    On Sep 29, 9:03*am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
    .. *
    >
    > Most home kitchens are cleaner and adhere to far better food safety
    > standards than most restaurant kitchens... even trailer trash kitchens
    > are cleaner than the local fast food joint... and the more upscale the
    > eatery the more offensive their level of sanitation. *Most
    > Institutional kitchens are reasonably sanitary but no restaurant
    > kitchen is... why do you think the health departments constantly
    > inspect... and even then it's politics as usual, most inspectors are
    > paid off (schmeared) to turn a blind eye... any restaurant that gets a
    > clean bill of health somehow schupt the inspector that month (cash
    > and/or a BJ goes a long way in any business dealings). Anytime there
    > are several cooks and other employees traipsing about and the public
    > involved it's impossible to keep sanitary. *And health inspections
    > nowadays are extremely lax, even hospital ORs are more and more often
    > failing. *Just because someone owns a restaurant doesn't impress me,
    > in fact that makes me much more suspect of their food handling
    > skills... those are whose home kitchen is a garbage dump.



    I'd love to know where you get your 'expertise' on restaurant
    kitchens.

  13. #13
    blake murphy Guest

    Default Re: Would the Health Department shut down your kitchen?

    On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 21:21:27 -0400, Cheryl wrote:

    > "ImStillMags" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]..
    >> Since we've had a lively discussion about whether or not we think it's
    >> ok to wash our hands in the sink......read this article.
    >>
    >> I'm sorry but this is way too much for a home kitchen. You guys
    >> know I'm a restauant owner, so I've dealth with all the Health
    >> Department rules and regulations and my restaurant always passed with
    >> A ratings.
    >>
    >> IMHO this inspector was over the top with this poor woman.
    >>
    >> Tell me if you agree.
    >>
    >> http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/29/di...inspector.html
    >>

    >
    > I think it was totally silly for the author to even ask to be inspected in
    > the first place. There are too many differences between a home kitchen and
    > a public eating establishment. Especially when we're allowed to have pets
    > in our homes.
    >
    > I'm not sure the purpose of the whole thing. But, it was an interesting
    > read. Thanks.


    it *was* interesting, that was the purpose. also gives some insight on
    what kitchen inspectors look at.

    your pal,
    blake

  14. #14
    blake murphy Guest

    Default Re: Would the Health Department shut down your kitchen?

    On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 07:19:03 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags wrote:

    > On Sep 28, 6:32*pm, spamtrap1888 <spamtrap1...@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> Disagree. The author wanted a restaurant-quality inspection, and got
    >> it. The SJ Mercury News ran a similar article years ago, on
    >> volunteers' kitchens. One woman almost passed, except she allowed her
    >> dog in the kitchen. Keep hot food hot and cold food cold, Get oven and
    >> fridge thermometers and meat thermometers, as well as a pocket test
    >> thermometer. Nothing that collects dust, no surfaces that can't be
    >> wiped clean.

    >
    > The basics of a clean kitchen I agree with wholeheartedly....remember
    > I had a restaurant so I know about proper food handling. But a home
    > kitchen is not a restaurant kitchen. You family is involved in your
    > kitchen and it includes the whole family, including pets.
    >
    > Health Department regulations for industrial and institutional
    > kitchens are there for the protection of the public.
    > If you are conscious about proper food handling, refrigeration and
    > sanitation of sinks and surfaces in your home kitchen you are fine.
    >
    > Unless you have a compromised immune system, the human body handles
    > pretty much everything very well.
    > If you handle foods properly, proper cooling and storage, etc., the
    > stringent regulations imposed on commercial kitchens are not as
    > applicable to the home.
    >
    > Nobody is talking about not cleaning or sanitizing or leaving foods
    > out, etc. But your cat or your dog or your kids do not an unclean
    > kitchen make.


    exactly. plus, if you do end up poisoning people, it's only your family or
    friends, not dozens or hundreds of people.

    your pal,
    blake

  15. #15
    blake murphy Guest

    Default Re: Would the Health Department shut down your kitchen?

    On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 12:03:33 -0400, Brooklyn1 wrote:

    > ImStillMags wrote:
    >
    >>On Sep 28, 6:32*pm, spamtrap1888 <spamtrap1...@gmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>
    >>> Disagree. The author wanted a restaurant-quality inspection, and got
    >>> it. The SJ Mercury News ran a similar article years ago, on
    >>> volunteers' kitchens. One woman almost passed, except she allowed her
    >>> dog in the kitchen. Keep hot food hot and cold food cold, Get oven and
    >>> fridge thermometers and meat thermometers, as well as a pocket test
    >>> thermometer. Nothing that collects dust, no surfaces that can't be
    >>> wiped clean.

    >>
    >>The basics of a clean kitchen I agree with wholeheartedly....remember
    >>I had a restaurant so I know about proper food handling. But a home
    >>kitchen is not a restaurant kitchen.

    >
    > Most home kitchens are cleaner and adhere to far better food safety
    > standards than most restaurant kitchens... even trailer trash kitchens
    > are cleaner than the local fast food joint... and the more upscale the
    > eatery the more offensive their level of sanitation. Most
    > Institutional kitchens are reasonably sanitary but no restaurant
    > kitchen is... why do you think the health departments constantly
    > inspect... and even then it's politics as usual, most inspectors are
    > paid off (schmeared) to turn a blind eye... any restaurant that gets a
    > clean bill of health somehow schupt the inspector that month (cash
    > and/or a BJ goes a long way in any business dealings). Anytime there
    > are several cooks and other employees traipsing about and the public
    > involved it's impossible to keep sanitary. And health inspections
    > nowadays are extremely lax, even hospital ORs are more and more often
    > failing. Just because someone owns a restaurant doesn't impress me,
    > in fact that makes me much more suspect of their food handling
    > skills... those are whose home kitchen is a garbage dump.


    more ****ing rubbish from The World's Foremost Authority.

    blake

  16. #16
    Ophelia Guest

    Default Re: Would the Health Department shut down your kitchen?



    "blake murphy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:xug9b4ziq8e.lf87vz1yhxfu$.[email protected]..
    > On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 07:19:03 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags wrote:
    >
    >> On Sep 28, 6:32 pm, spamtrap1888 <spamtrap1...@gmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>
    >>> Disagree. The author wanted a restaurant-quality inspection, and got
    >>> it. The SJ Mercury News ran a similar article years ago, on
    >>> volunteers' kitchens. One woman almost passed, except she allowed her
    >>> dog in the kitchen. Keep hot food hot and cold food cold, Get oven and
    >>> fridge thermometers and meat thermometers, as well as a pocket test
    >>> thermometer. Nothing that collects dust, no surfaces that can't be
    >>> wiped clean.

    >>
    >> The basics of a clean kitchen I agree with wholeheartedly....remember
    >> I had a restaurant so I know about proper food handling. But a home
    >> kitchen is not a restaurant kitchen. You family is involved in your
    >> kitchen and it includes the whole family, including pets.
    >>
    >> Health Department regulations for industrial and institutional
    >> kitchens are there for the protection of the public.
    >> If you are conscious about proper food handling, refrigeration and
    >> sanitation of sinks and surfaces in your home kitchen you are fine.
    >>
    >> Unless you have a compromised immune system, the human body handles
    >> pretty much everything very well.
    >> If you handle foods properly, proper cooling and storage, etc., the
    >> stringent regulations imposed on commercial kitchens are not as
    >> applicable to the home.
    >>
    >> Nobody is talking about not cleaning or sanitizing or leaving foods
    >> out, etc. But your cat or your dog or your kids do not an unclean
    >> kitchen make.

    >
    > exactly. plus, if you do end up poisoning people, it's only your family
    > or
    > friends, not dozens or hundreds of people.


    lol well I guess that is one way of looking at it
    --
    --
    https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/


  17. #17
    blake murphy Guest

    Default Re: Would the Health Department shut down your kitchen?

    On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 10:31:32 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags wrote:

    > On Sep 29, 9:03*am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
    > . *
    >>
    >> Most home kitchens are cleaner and adhere to far better food safety
    >> standards than most restaurant kitchens... even trailer trash kitchens
    >> are cleaner than the local fast food joint... and the more upscale the
    >> eatery the more offensive their level of sanitation. *Most
    >> Institutional kitchens are reasonably sanitary but no restaurant
    >> kitchen is... why do you think the health departments constantly
    >> inspect... and even then it's politics as usual, most inspectors are
    >> paid off (schmeared) to turn a blind eye... any restaurant that gets a
    >> clean bill of health somehow schupt the inspector that month (cash
    >> and/or a BJ goes a long way in any business dealings). Anytime there
    >> are several cooks and other employees traipsing about and the public
    >> involved it's impossible to keep sanitary. *And health inspections
    >> nowadays are extremely lax, even hospital ORs are more and more often
    >> failing. *Just because someone owns a restaurant doesn't impress me,
    >> in fact that makes me much more suspect of their food handling
    >> skills... those are whose home kitchen is a garbage dump.

    >
    > I'd love to know where you get your 'expertise' on restaurant
    > kitchens.


    from the same place he produces his other expert opinions - a most
    unsanitary place indeed.

    your pal,
    blake

  18. #18
    blake murphy Guest

    Default Re: Would the Health Department shut down your kitchen?

    On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 06:35:54 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton wrote:

    > On Sep 28, 7:36*pm, ImStillMags <sitara8...@gmail.com> wrote:
    >> Since we've had a lively discussion about whether or not we think it's
    >> ok to wash our hands in the sink......read this article.
    >>
    >> I'm sorry but this is way too much for *a home kitchen. * You guys
    >> know I'm a restauant owner, so I've dealth with all the Health
    >> Department rules and regulations and my restaurant always passed with
    >> A ratings.
    >>
    >> IMHO this inspector was over the top with this poor woman.
    >>
    >> Tell me if you agree.
    >>
    >> http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/29/di...inspector.html

    >
    > No, my kitchen would not pass. Some things that happen that I've
    > seen in health inspection reports (which used to be synopsized
    > in my local paper):
    >
    > Food/drink consumed while cooking


    no consumption of alcoholic beverages in the kitchen!

    your pal,
    blake

  19. #19
    projectile vomit chick Guest

    Default Re: Would the Health Department shut down your kitchen?

    On Sep 28, 6:36*pm, ImStillMags <sitara8...@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > I'm sorry but this is way too much for *a home kitchen. * You guys
    > know I'm a restauant owner,


    I've read your posts for a while, why did you recently start yapping
    about owning a restaurant in every post? Did you finally buy that
    Arby's franchise? Good for you!

  20. #20
    ImStillMags Guest

    Default Re: Would the Health Department shut down your kitchen?

    On Sep 29, 12:11*pm, projectile vomit chick
    <projektilevomitch...@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > On Sep 28, 6:36*pm, ImStillMags <sitara8...@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    > > I'm sorry but this is way too much for *a home kitchen. * You guys
    > > know I'm a restauant owner,

    >
    > I've read your posts for a while, why did you recently start yapping
    > about owning a restaurant in every post? *Did you finally buy that
    > Arby's franchise? *Good for you!


    LOL!

    No, didn't realize I did that. Thanks for clearing it up for me. ;-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32