Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 50

Thread: Why Is Barley So God Damn Hard To Find?

  1. #1
    Way Back Jack Guest

    Default Why Is Barley So God Damn Hard To Find?

    None of the food stores carries it. I recall that as a kid, it was as
    commonplace as packages of rice. Now you have to find some hippie-owned
    specialty food shop if you hope to find it.

  2. #2
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: Why Is Barley So God Damn Hard To Find?

    On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 13:07:42 -0400, Way Back Jack wrote:

    > None of the food stores carries it.


    I've bought it at Hole Foods, Wheatsville, Sprouts, Newflower, Sun
    Harvest, and Central Market. That's 10 stores in all.

    Your statement would seem to be false.

    -sw

  3. #3
    ReKvest-or Guest

    Default Re: Why Is Barley So God Damn Hard To Find?

    Sqwertz <swertz@cluemail.compo[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 13:07:42 -0400, Way Back Jack wrote:
    >
    >> None of the food stores carries it.

    >
    > I've bought it at Hole Foods, Wheatsville, Sprouts, Newflower, Sun
    > Harvest, and Central Market. That's 10 stores in all.
    >
    > Your statement would seem to be false.
    >
    > -sw
    >


    "Hole" Foods?
    That sounds pretty gross!

  4. #4
    Storrmmee Guest

    Default Re: Why Is Barley So God Damn Hard To Find?

    walmart, meiers and schnucks all have it near the rice, Lee
    "Way Back Jack" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > None of the food stores carries it. I recall that as a kid, it was as
    > commonplace as packages of rice. Now you have to find some hippie-owned
    > specialty food shop if you hope to find it.




  5. #5
    Terry Pulliam Burd Guest

    Default Re: Why Is Barley So God Damn Hard To Find?

    On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 13:07:42 -0400, Way Back Jack
    <[email protected]> arranged random neurons and said:

    >None of the food stores carries it. I recall that as a kid, it was as
    >commonplace as packages of rice. Now you have to find some hippie-owned
    >specialty food shop if you hope to find it.


    Pearl barley is as common as hen tracks at most grocery stores,
    although there doesn't seem to be a uniform section in which it is
    kept. I've found it with the dried beans, soups or tapioca. Pot
    barley, OTOH, is darned near impossible to find.

    Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

    --

    To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"

  6. #6
    Melba's Jammin' Guest

    Default Re: Why Is Barley So God Damn Hard To Find?

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Way Back Jack <[email protected]> wrote:

    > None of the food stores carries it. I recall that as a kid, it was as
    > commonplace as packages of rice. Now you have to find some hippie-owned
    > specialty food shop if you hope to find it.


    My supermarkets have it. Quaker brand. And you can get fancy barley
    other places.
    --
    Barb,
    Creamed Cornbread, June 13, 2011; http://web.me.com/barbschaller

  7. #7
    Dave Smith Guest

    Default Re: Why Is Barley So God Damn Hard To Find?

    On 26/06/2011 2:46 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    > In article<[email protected]>,
    > Way Back Jack<[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> None of the food stores carries it. I recall that as a kid, it was as
    >> commonplace as packages of rice. Now you have to find some hippie-owned
    >> specialty food shop if you hope to find it.

    >
    > My supermarkets have it. Quaker brand. And you can get fancy barley
    > other places.


    Our local grocery stores all carry multiple types and brands of barley.

  8. #8
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: Why Is Barley So God Damn Hard To Find?

    On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 13:17:32 -0500, ReKvest-or wrote:

    > Sqwertz <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> I've bought it at Hole Foods, Wheatsville, Sprouts, Newflower, Sun
    >> Harvest, and Central Market. That's 10 stores in all.

    >
    > "Hole" Foods?
    > That sounds pretty gross!


    If you have a sick mind, maybe.

    It's called Hole Food because of what it leaves in your pocket.

    -sw

  9. #9
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Why Is Barley So God Damn Hard To Find?

    On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 14:55:09 -0400, Dave Smith
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Our local grocery stores all carry multiple types and brands of barley.


    Yahbut, you're in a foreign country.
    <insert maniacal laughter here>

    --

    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.

  10. #10
    Mark Thorson Guest

    Default Re: Why Is Barley So God Damn Hard To Find?

    Way Back Jack wrote:
    >
    > None of the food stores carries it. I recall that as a kid, it was as
    > commonplace as packages of rice. Now you have to find some hippie-owned
    > specialty food shop if you hope to find it.


    Safeway and Lucky carry it. Safeway's barley always has
    bits of straw or bran in it, so I always buy it at Lucky.
    Where do you live that they don't have these stores?

  11. #11
    Diane Roselles Guest

    Default Re: Why Is Barley So God Damn Hard To Find?

    On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 12:53:58 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

    > On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 13:07:42 -0400, Way Back Jack wrote:
    >
    >> None of the food stores carries it.

    >
    > I've bought it at Hole Foods, Wheatsville, Sprouts, Newflower, Sun
    > Harvest, and Central Market. That's 10 stores in all.


    Yeah, like he said: hippie shops loctaed 40 miles away from anywhere.


    > Your statement would seem to be false.
    >
    > -sw


    ----

  12. #12
    l, not -l Guest

    Default Re: Why Is Barley So God Damn Hard To Find?


    On 26-Jun-2011, Way Back Jack <[email protected]> wrote:

    > None of the food stores carries it. I recall that as a kid, it was as
    > commonplace as packages of rice. Now you have to find some hippie-owned
    > specialty food shop if you hope to find it.


    Where I live (suburb of St. Louis) every supermarket (six within a 4 mile
    radius) carries pearled barley, as do the health food store, the ethnic
    grocer (various brands in different ethnic areas), and Target. While they
    all carry it, it is not always in the aisle where one might expect. At the
    store I shop most often, barley is found near the beans and couscous, as
    well as in the "Nutrition" aisle. The "Nutrition" aisle is where all the
    "health" foods are and, in that aisle they carry a much more expensive brand
    (Bob's Red Mill) than in the bean aisle (Quaker, I think). Alternatively,
    local healthfood store carry pearl barley and rolled barley (looks like old
    fashioned oatmeal).

    If you don't find it where you expect, don't be timid, ask a store employee
    - the stockers and managers are quite helpful here; though, there are some
    employees who just cleanup and aren't very helpful in locating things.



    --
    "Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug
    dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist' "

    Change Cujo to Juno in email address.

  13. #13
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: Why Is Barley So God Damn Hard To Find?

    On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 16:53:18 -0400, Diane Roselles wrote:

    > On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 12:53:58 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 13:07:42 -0400, Way Back Jack wrote:
    >>
    >>> None of the food stores carries it.

    >>
    >> I've bought it at Hole Foods, Wheatsville, Sprouts, Newflower, Sun
    >> Harvest, and Central Market. That's 10 stores in all.

    >
    > Yeah, like he said: hippie shops loctaed 40 miles away from anywhere.


    Try again, snide bitch. All these are within 0-4 miles of downtown
    Austin.

    -sw

  14. #14
    Diane Roselles Guest

    Default Re: Why Is Barley So God Damn Hard To Find?

    On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 17:19:05 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

    > On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 16:53:18 -0400, Diane Roselles wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 12:53:58 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 13:07:42 -0400, Way Back Jack wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> None of the food stores carries it.
    >>>
    >>> I've bought it at Hole Foods, Wheatsville, Sprouts, Newflower, Sun
    >>> Harvest, and Central Market. That's 10 stores in all.

    >>
    >> Yeah, like he said: hippie shops loctaed 40 miles away from anywhere.

    >
    > Try again, snide bitch. All these are within 0-4 miles of downtown
    > Austin.
    >
    > -sw


    So that's where all the hippies ended up ... about 1,000 miles from me.

  15. #15
    gloria.p Guest

    Default Re: Why Is Barley So God Damn Hard To Find?

    On 6/26/2011 11:07 AM, Way Back Jack wrote:
    > None of the food stores carries it. I recall that as a kid, it was as
    > commonplace as packages of rice. Now you have to find some hippie-owned
    > specialty food shop if you hope to find it.




    Either you're not lookin g hard enough or looking in the wrong places.

    It's in every one of our local grocery stores plus places like Sunflower
    Mkt. and Sprouts, usually near either dried beans or
    rice or dried soup mixes on the shelf.

    gloria p

  16. #16
    notbob Guest

    Default Re: Why Is Barley So God Damn Hard To Find?

    On 2011-06-26, gloria.p <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > Either you're not lookin g hard enough or looking in the wrong places.


    Try a couple health food stores. They love that kinda stuff.

    nb

  17. #17
    enigma Guest

    Default Re: Why Is Barley So God Damn Hard To Find?

    Way Back Jack <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > None of the food stores carries it. I recall that as a kid, it
    > was as commonplace as packages of rice. Now you have to find some
    > hippie-owned specialty food shop if you hope to find it.


    i can get barley at any local grocery store, either here in NH or in
    upstate NY. where are you looking that you *can't* find it?
    lee

  18. #18
    Cheryl Guest

    Default Re: Why Is Barley So God Damn Hard To Find?

    On 6/26/2011 3:49 PM, Mark Thorson wrote:
    > Way Back Jack wrote:
    >>
    >> None of the food stores carries it. I recall that as a kid, it was as
    >> commonplace as packages of rice. Now you have to find some hippie-owned
    >> specialty food shop if you hope to find it.

    >
    > Safeway and Lucky carry it. Safeway's barley always has
    > bits of straw or bran in it, so I always buy it at Lucky.
    > Where do you live that they don't have these stores?


    In Maryland I haven't seen barley in regular grocery stores, but I've
    bought it in Asian markets of all places.

  19. #19
    Diane Roselles Guest

    Default Re: Why Is Barley So God Damn Hard To Find?

    On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 22:01:30 -0400, Cheryl wrote:

    > On 6/26/2011 3:49 PM, Mark Thorson wrote:
    >> Way Back Jack wrote:
    >>>
    >>> None of the food stores carries it. I recall that as a kid, it was as
    >>> commonplace as packages of rice. Now you have to find some hippie-owned
    >>> specialty food shop if you hope to find it.

    >>
    >> Safeway and Lucky carry it. Safeway's barley always has
    >> bits of straw or bran in it, so I always buy it at Lucky.
    >> Where do you live that they don't have these stores?

    >
    > In Maryland I haven't seen barley in regular grocery stores.


    Amen. Also in Md. Safeway, Giant, Weis, Shoppers Food Warehouse, and
    several others whose names escape me. In other words, none of the retail
    "super" market outlets that I visited has this grain.

  20. #20
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Why Is Barley So God Damn Hard To Find?

    On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 22:01:30 -0400, Cheryl <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > On 6/26/2011 3:49 PM, Mark Thorson wrote:
    > > Way Back Jack wrote:
    > >>
    > >> None of the food stores carries it. I recall that as a kid, it was as
    > >> commonplace as packages of rice. Now you have to find some hippie-owned
    > >> specialty food shop if you hope to find it.

    > >
    > > Safeway and Lucky carry it. Safeway's barley always has
    > > bits of straw or bran in it, so I always buy it at Lucky.
    > > Where do you live that they don't have these stores?

    >
    > In Maryland I haven't seen barley in regular grocery stores, but I've
    > bought it in Asian markets of all places.


    I see pearl barley all the time, not sure if I see any other kind...
    not interested enough to notice. I have lots that I haven't used in
    way too long. I used to put it in beef soup.

    --

    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32