Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Thread: Whipped cream?

  1. #1
    Nunya Bidnits Guest

    Default Whipped cream?

    Is there a trick to getting whipped cream to stay in place on top of
    individual servings if they have to be held for a few minutes, instead of
    wanting to get wet and slide off, key lime filling in this case? The fake
    stuff doesn't seem to do that but it's not nearly as good. Even trickier,
    what if you're putting it on something warm?

    MartyB




    --
    -



  2. #2
    Nancy2 Guest

    Default Re: Whipped cream?

    On Sep 29, 10:50*am, "Nunya Bidnits" <nunyabidn...@eternal-
    september.invalid> wrote:
    > Is there a trick to getting whipped cream to stay in place on top of
    > individual servings if they have to be held for a few minutes, instead of
    > wanting to get wet and slide off, key lime filling in this case? The fake
    > stuff doesn't seem to do that but it's not nearly as good. Even trickier,
    > what if you're putting it on something warm?
    >
    > MartyB
    >
    > --
    > *-


    I don't know, as I haven't had that problem - but if you use powdered
    sugar instead of granulated sugar, your whipped cream will hold longer
    and will have more substance, so to speak. That might help your
    problem.

    N.

  3. #3
    Janet Guest

    Default Re: Whipped cream?

    Nancy2 wrote:
    > On Sep 29, 10:50 am, "Nunya Bidnits" <nunyabidn...@eternal-
    > september.invalid> wrote:
    >> Is there a trick to getting whipped cream to stay in place on top of
    >> individual servings if they have to be held for a few minutes,
    >> instead of wanting to get wet and slide off, key lime filling in
    >> this case? The fake stuff doesn't seem to do that but it's not
    >> nearly as good. Even trickier, what if you're putting it on
    >> something warm?
    >>
    >> MartyB
    >>
    >> --
    >> -

    >
    > I don't know, as I haven't had that problem - but if you use powdered
    > sugar instead of granulated sugar, your whipped cream will hold longer
    > and will have more substance, so to speak. That might help your
    > problem.
    >
    > N.


    That is true. Confectioner's sugar includes cornstarch, which helps
    stabilize the cream.

    There are also actual stabilizer products. One that I can recall is
    "cobasan." If you need super-stabilized whipped cream--for filling a cake,
    for example--you can use a little booze with some gelatin melted into it.
    Maida Heatter has a chocolate rum layer cake that uses this method in--I
    think--her first book. The addition of some melted and cooled white
    chocolate also stabilizes whipped cream. And there may be some other method
    involving reducing and cooling some it or whipping it in a cuisinart--I
    don't recall precisely.

    I'd consult the books of Maida Heatter and The Cake Bible by Rose Levy
    Beranbaum for more info.

    I don't know of ANY method that will stabilize whipped cream on hot food.




  4. #4
    notbob Guest

    Default Re: Whipped cream?

    On 2010-09-29, Nunya Bidnits <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Is there a trick to getting whipped cream to stay in place on top of
    > individual servings if they have to be held for a few minutes, instead of
    > wanting to get wet and slide off, key lime filling in this case? The fake
    > stuff doesn't seem to do that but it's not nearly as good. Even trickier,
    > what if you're putting it on something warm?


    Alton Brown did a lemon meringue pie episode of Good Eats where he
    addressed all those related annoying problems of a good meringue,
    weeping, slippage, etc. I recall there used to be a dedicated AB
    video and transcription website. Perhaps someone has a link, if it's
    still up.

    nb

  5. #5
    notbob Guest

    Default Re: Whipped cream?

    On 2010-09-29, notbob <[email protected]> wrote:

    > addressed all those related annoying problems of a good meringue,
    > weeping, slippage, etc.


    DOH!

    You were speaking of whipped cream. Senior moment. Still, there
    might be some pertinent info, plus, I'd still like to have that link.

    nb

  6. #6
    Pete C. Guest

    Default Re: Whipped cream?


    Nunya Bidnits wrote:
    >
    > Is there a trick to getting whipped cream to stay in place on top of
    > individual servings if they have to be held for a few minutes, instead of
    > wanting to get wet and slide off, key lime filling in this case? The fake
    > stuff doesn't seem to do that but it's not nearly as good. Even trickier,
    > what if you're putting it on something warm?
    >
    > MartyB
    >
    > --
    > -


    "Stabilized whipped cream", a number of options for that stabilization,
    gelatin being one common stabilizer.

  7. #7
    Janet Guest

    Default Re: Whipped cream?


    > On Sep 29, 10:50*am, "Nunya Bidnits" <nunyabidn...@eternal-
    > september.invalid> wrote:
    > > Is there a trick to getting whipped cream to stay in place on top of
    > > individual servings if they have to be held for a few minutes, instead of
    > > wanting to get wet and slide off, key lime filling in this case? The fake
    > > stuff doesn't seem to do that but it's not nearly as good.


    What kind of cream are you using?

    The higher the fat content the thicker and stiffer it will whip.
    In the UK , I buy something called "double cream" which has a fat
    content of 48%, I think that might be a bit higher than in your "heavy
    cream".

    Whipped double cream won't fall or slide off anything, you can turn the
    bowl upside down and the cream won't fall out.

    Janet.

  8. #8
    Dave Smith Guest

    Default Re: Whipped cream?

    On 29/09/2010 11:50 AM, Nunya Bidnits wrote:
    > Is there a trick to getting whipped cream to stay in place on top of
    > individual servings if they have to be held for a few minutes, instead of
    > wanting to get wet and slide off, key lime filling in this case? The fake
    > stuff doesn't seem to do that but it's not nearly as good. Even trickier,
    > what if you're putting it on something warm?
    >


    Are you using 35% cream and beating it until it is nice and thick? I
    can see it sliding off if it is not beaten enough, but if you get it
    nice and thick, not quite butter, it should be fine. Could it be the
    thing you're putting it on that is the problem?

  9. #9
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Whipped cream?

    On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 10:50:29 -0500, "Nunya Bidnits"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Is there a trick to getting whipped cream to stay in place on top of
    > individual servings if they have to be held for a few minutes, instead of
    > wanting to get wet and slide off, key lime filling in this case? The fake
    > stuff doesn't seem to do that but it's not nearly as good. Even trickier,
    > what if you're putting it on something warm?
    >

    Have you ever let it sit in a fine strainer for a few hours (I let it
    drip overnight)? It makes amazingly stable whipped cream that won't
    get weepy - you can even use it a couple of day later. I do it that
    way for my holiday whipped cream now.

    --

    Never trust a dog to watch your food.

  10. #10
    Wayne Boatwright Guest

    Default Re: Whipped cream?

    On Wed 29 Sep 2010 08:50:29a, Nunya Bidnits told us...

    > Is there a trick to getting whipped cream to stay in place on top
    > of individual servings if they have to be held for a few minutes,
    > instead of wanting to get wet and slide off, key lime filling in
    > this case? The fake stuff doesn't seem to do that but it's not
    > nearly as good. Even trickier, what if you're putting it on
    > something warm?
    >
    > MartyB


    First off, make sure it's *heavy* whipping cream, not just whipping
    cream. Freeze the bowl and beaters before whipping, and beat until
    the cream is on the verge of turning to butter. Confectioners' sugar
    will often make it a bit more stable than granulated sugar. Begin
    adding the sugar about half way through the beating.

    If you're putting whipped cream on something hot, you best do it at
    the last minute.

    When whipped as above, I often top an entire cream pie at once
    (banana, coconut, chocolate, etc.). The pie should be well-chilled
    before doing this, but it will keep in the frige a day or two with no
    breakdown. I don't use any stabilizers, as I think theya affect the
    texture of the whipped cream.

    --

    ~~ If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it. ~~

    ~~ A mind is a terrible thing to lose. ~~

    ************************************************** ********

    Wayne Boatwright


  11. #11
    Wayne Boatwright Guest

    Default Re: Whipped cream?

    On Wed 29 Sep 2010 09:57:14a, Pete C. told us...

    >
    > Nunya Bidnits wrote:
    >>
    >> Is there a trick to getting whipped cream to stay in place on top
    >> of individual servings if they have to be held for a few minutes,
    >> instead of wanting to get wet and slide off, key lime filling in
    >> this case? The fake stuff doesn't seem to do that but it's not
    >> nearly as good. Even trickier, what if you're putting it on
    >> something warm?
    >>
    >> MartyB
    >>
    >> --
    >> -

    >
    > "Stabilized whipped cream", a number of options for that
    > stabilization, gelatin being one common stabilizer.
    >


    Yes, they work, but IMHO they give it an unnatural texture.

    --

    ~~ If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it. ~~

    ~~ A mind is a terrible thing to lose. ~~

    ************************************************** ********

    Wayne Boatwright


  12. #12
    Wayne Boatwright Guest

    Default Re: Whipped cream?

    On Wed 29 Sep 2010 10:13:01a, Janet told us...

    >
    >> On Sep 29, 10:50*am, "Nunya Bidnits" <nunyabidn...@eternal-
    >> september.invalid> wrote:
    >> > Is there a trick to getting whipped cream to stay in place on
    >> > top of individual servings if they have to be held for a few
    >> > minutes, instead of wanting to get wet and slide off, key lime
    >> > filling in this case? The fa ke stuff doesn't seem to do that
    >> > but it's not nearly as good.

    >
    > What kind of cream are you using?
    >
    > The higher the fat content the thicker and stiffer it will whip.
    > In the UK , I buy something called "double cream" which has a fat
    > content of 48%, I think that might be a bit higher than in your
    > "heavy cream".
    >
    > Whipped double cream won't fall or slide off anything, you can
    > turn the bowl upside down and the cream won't fall out.
    >
    > Janet.
    >


    Unfortunately, it's virtually impossible to find cream with a fat
    content that high in the US. I've had double cream and it's
    wonderful. Wish I could get it here.

    --

    ~~ If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it. ~~

    ~~ A mind is a terrible thing to lose. ~~

    ************************************************** ********

    Wayne Boatwright


  13. #13
    Nancy2 Guest

    Default Re: Whipped cream?


    > Unfortunately, it's virtually impossible to find cream with a fat
    > content that high in the US. *I've had double cream and it's
    > wonderful. *Wish I could get it here.
    >
    > --
    >
    >


    The "heavy whipping cream" I buy and whip is stable enough to stay in
    the bowl if I tip it upside down. You don't need double cream for
    that kind of whipping.

    N.

  14. #14
    Nunya Bidnits Guest

    Default Re: Whipped cream?


    Dave Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On 29/09/2010 11:50 AM, Nunya Bidnits wrote:
    >> Is there a trick to getting whipped cream to stay in place on top of
    >> individual servings if they have to be held for a few minutes,
    >> instead of wanting to get wet and slide off, key lime filling in
    >> this case? The fake stuff doesn't seem to do that but it's not
    >> nearly as good. Even trickier, what if you're putting it on
    >> something warm?

    >
    > Are you using 35% cream and beating it until it is nice and thick? I
    > can see it sliding off if it is not beaten enough, but if you get it
    > nice and thick, not quite butter, it should be fine. Could it be the
    > thing you're putting it on that is the problem?


    Yes. It's a key lime mold, turned out of a silicone muffin pan, made with
    lime juice, sugar, sweetened condensed milk, and sour cream. The whole thing
    rests on a round of fried flour tortilla coated with agave, turbinado, and
    cinnamon, a la sopaipilla. The key lime does have a slight tendency to
    resist. I've used non dairy topping in it's place and it's more stable but
    doesn't taste nearly as good.

    MartyB



  15. #15
    Nunya Bidnits Guest

    Default Re: Whipped cream?


    sf <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 10:50:29 -0500, "Nunya Bidnits"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Is there a trick to getting whipped cream to stay in place on top of
    >> individual servings if they have to be held for a few minutes,
    >> instead of wanting to get wet and slide off, key lime filling in
    >> this case? The fake stuff doesn't seem to do that but it's not
    >> nearly as good. Even trickier, what if you're putting it on
    >> something warm?
    >>

    > Have you ever let it sit in a fine strainer for a few hours (I let it
    > drip overnight)? It makes amazingly stable whipped cream that won't
    > get weepy - you can even use it a couple of day later. I do it that
    > way for my holiday whipped cream now.


    How long will something like that hold? I've never tried holding real
    whipped cream, thinking that somewhere I learned that it will separate. But
    then if that separation is what you're talking about that and it's stable
    for a day afterwards, that would work.

    MartyB

    --
    -



  16. #16
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Whipped cream?

    On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 13:08:55 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > The "heavy whipping cream" I buy and whip is stable enough to stay in
    > the bowl if I tip it upside down. You don't need double cream for
    > that kind of whipping.


    The big question is: Why would you want to do that?

    --

    Never trust a dog to watch your food.

  17. #17
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Whipped cream?

    On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 16:19:19 -0500, "Nunya Bidnits"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > How long will something like that hold? I've never tried holding real
    > whipped cream, thinking that somewhere I learned that it will separate. But
    > then if that separation is what you're talking about that and it's stable
    > for a day afterwards, that would work.


    It has lasted for two days. Haven't tested it beyond that, because
    the leftovers are eaten by then.

    --

    Never trust a dog to watch your food.

  18. #18
    Wayne Boatwright Guest

    Default Re: Whipped cream?

    On Wed 29 Sep 2010 02:20:38p, sf told us...

    > On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 13:08:55 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> The "heavy whipping cream" I buy and whip is stable enough to
    >> stay in the bowl if I tip it upside down. You don't need double
    >> cream for that kind of whipping.


    That's true. You don't need double cream for whipping, but *havy*
    whipping cream is a far cry more stable than mere whipping cream.

    > The big question is: Why would you want to do that?
    >


    To wear on your head, of course!

    --

    ~~ If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it. ~~

    ~~ A mind is a terrible thing to lose. ~~

    ************************************************** ********

    Wayne Boatwright


  19. #19
    Janet Guest

    Default Re: Whipped cream?

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
    says...
    >
    > On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 13:08:55 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > The "heavy whipping cream" I buy and whip is stable enough to stay in
    > > the bowl if I tip it upside down. You don't need double cream for
    > > that kind of whipping.

    >
    > The big question is: Why would you want to do that?


    Just another cookery sign to say "it's done", like a custard being
    thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, or an inserted
    knife blade coming out clean to show the cake is cooked.

    Janet.

  20. #20
    Nunya Bidnits Guest

    Default Re: Whipped cream?


    Wayne Boatwright <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On Wed 29 Sep 2010 02:20:38p, sf told us...
    >
    >> On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 13:08:55 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> The "heavy whipping cream" I buy and whip is stable enough to
    >>> stay in the bowl if I tip it upside down. You don't need double
    >>> cream for that kind of whipping.

    >
    > That's true. You don't need double cream for whipping, but *havy*
    > whipping cream is a far cry more stable than mere whipping cream.
    >
    >> The big question is: Why would you want to do that?
    >>

    >
    > To wear on your head, of course!


    I thought it was for the ceiling, to give the impression of clouds when you
    were laying down.



Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32