Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: What's Up With Pears Lately?

  1. #1
    Way Back Jack Guest

    Default What's Up With Pears Lately?

    They don't ripen. Talking about Anjous and, more recently, even Bartlett.

    It's not a matter of being picked too soon because pears don't need to hang
    from a tree to ripen. When they reach mature size is the time to pick and
    the ones in the grocery stores are mature size.

    Can't figure it out. Maybe I should squirt 'em with ethylene!

  2. #2
    sf Guest

    Default Re: What's Up With Pears Lately?

    On Sun, 5 Feb 2012 10:44:10 -0500, Way Back Jack <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > They don't ripen. Talking about Anjous and, more recently, even Bartlett.
    >
    > It's not a matter of being picked too soon because pears don't need to hang
    > from a tree to ripen. When they reach mature size is the time to pick and
    > the ones in the grocery stores are mature size.
    >
    > Can't figure it out. Maybe I should squirt 'em with ethylene!


    Huh, Anjous and especially Bartlett will be firm even when ripe. I
    usually buy Bartlett and haven't had any trouble so far. I guess
    you're stuck cooking them instead of eating them raw.

    --
    Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

  3. #3
    merryb Guest

    Default Re: What's Up With Pears Lately?

    On Feb 5, 7:44*am, Way Back Jack <inva...@invalid.net> wrote:
    > They don't ripen. *Talking about Anjous and, more recently, even Bartlett.
    >
    > It's not a matter of being picked too soon because pears don't need to hang
    > from a tree to ripen. *When they reach mature size is the time to pick and
    > the ones in the grocery stores are mature size.
    >
    > Can't figure it out. *Maybe I should squirt 'em with ethylene!


    Try putting them in a brown paper bag with a banana.

  4. #4
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: What's Up With Pears Lately?

    On Sun, 5 Feb 2012 10:44:10 -0500, Way Back Jack <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >They don't ripen. Talking about Anjous and, more recently, even Bartlett.
    >
    >It's not a matter of being picked too soon because pears don't need to hang
    >from a tree to ripen. When they reach mature size is the time to pick and
    >the ones in the grocery stores are mature size.
    >
    >Can't figure it out. Maybe I should squirt 'em with ethylene!


    Pears are one of the few fruits that generally ripens from the inside
    outwards, that's why they are typically harvested unripened, so that
    they don't start to ripen, slip their stems and drop to the ground.
    Since there are in excess of 3,000 varieties of pear worldwide (only
    ten commercially grown in the US) many have different characteristics
    and some tend to cross. Some varieties take a long time before their
    exterior ripens... if you can easily pluck out the stem with your
    teeth it's ripe... if your teeth pull out you'd best wait some. To
    ripen pears at home place on their side on a towel on the countertop
    in a single layer with none touching.



  5. #5
    Nunya Bidnits Guest

    Default Re: What's Up With Pears Lately?

    sf <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On Sun, 5 Feb 2012 10:44:10 -0500, Way Back Jack <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> They don't ripen. Talking about Anjous and, more recently, even
    >> Bartlett.
    >>
    >> It's not a matter of being picked too soon because pears don't need
    >> to hang from a tree to ripen. When they reach mature size is the
    >> time to pick and the ones in the grocery stores are mature size.
    >>
    >> Can't figure it out. Maybe I should squirt 'em with ethylene!

    >
    > Huh, Anjous and especially Bartlett will be firm even when ripe. I
    > usually buy Bartlett and haven't had any trouble so far. I guess
    > you're stuck cooking them instead of eating them raw.


    Anjous aren't worth eating until they get a bit soft IMO.



  6. #6
    Julie Bove Guest

    Default Re: What's Up With Pears Lately?


    "Way Back Jack" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > They don't ripen. Talking about Anjous and, more recently, even Bartlett.
    >
    > It's not a matter of being picked too soon because pears don't need to
    > hang
    > from a tree to ripen. When they reach mature size is the time to pick and
    > the ones in the grocery stores are mature size.
    >
    > Can't figure it out. Maybe I should squirt 'em with ethylene!


    We haven't had that problem.



  7. #7
    Dave Smith Guest

    Default Re: What's Up With Pears Lately?

    On 05/02/2012 11:58 AM, sf wrote:

    >> Can't figure it out. Maybe I should squirt 'em with ethylene!

    >
    > Huh, Anjous and especially Bartlett will be firm even when ripe. I
    > usually buy Bartlett and haven't had any trouble so far. I guess
    > you're stuck cooking them instead of eating them raw.
    >


    Anjous are firm when ripe?

  8. #8
    sf Guest

    Default Re: What's Up With Pears Lately?

    On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 20:29:55 -0500, Dave Smith
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On 05/02/2012 11:58 AM, sf wrote:
    >
    > >> Can't figure it out. Maybe I should squirt 'em with ethylene!

    > >
    > > Huh, Anjous and especially Bartlett will be firm even when ripe. I
    > > usually buy Bartlett and haven't had any trouble so far. I guess
    > > you're stuck cooking them instead of eating them raw.
    > >

    >
    > Anjous are firm when ripe?


    Like I said, I usually buy Bartlett. They're side by side and I go
    with Bartlett. I know I've bought Anjou and liked them, but I don't
    remember them being particularly soft.

    --
    Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

  9. #9
    Dave Smith Guest

    Default Re: What's Up With Pears Lately?

    On 06/02/2012 1:47 AM, sf wrote:

    >>> Huh, Anjous and especially Bartlett will be firm even when ripe. I
    >>> usually buy Bartlett and haven't had any trouble so far. I guess
    >>> you're stuck cooking them instead of eating them raw.
    >>>

    >>
    >> Anjous are firm when ripe?

    >
    > Like I said, I usually buy Bartlett. They're side by side and I go
    > with Bartlett. I know I've bought Anjou and liked them, but I don't
    > remember them being particularly soft.


    Bartlett are good for canning and any dish where they are cooked, but
    for eating raw, they are my last choice. Just me perhaps.


  10. #10
    Nunya Bidnits Guest

    Default Re: What's Up With Pears Lately?

    sf <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 20:29:55 -0500, Dave Smith
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> On 05/02/2012 11:58 AM, sf wrote:
    >>
    >>>> Can't figure it out. Maybe I should squirt 'em with ethylene!
    >>>
    >>> Huh, Anjous and especially Bartlett will be firm even when ripe. I
    >>> usually buy Bartlett and haven't had any trouble so far. I guess
    >>> you're stuck cooking them instead of eating them raw.
    >>>

    >>
    >> Anjous are firm when ripe?

    >
    > Like I said, I usually buy Bartlett. They're side by side and I go
    > with Bartlett. I know I've bought Anjou and liked them, but I don't
    > remember them being particularly soft.


    Anjous are slightly soft when ripe.



  11. #11
    sf Guest

    Default Re: What's Up With Pears Lately?

    On Mon, 06 Feb 2012 08:34:00 -0500, Dave Smith
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On 06/02/2012 1:47 AM, sf wrote:
    >
    > >>> Huh, Anjous and especially Bartlett will be firm even when ripe. I
    > >>> usually buy Bartlett and haven't had any trouble so far. I guess
    > >>> you're stuck cooking them instead of eating them raw.
    > >>>
    > >>
    > >> Anjous are firm when ripe?

    > >
    > > Like I said, I usually buy Bartlett. They're side by side and I go
    > > with Bartlett. I know I've bought Anjou and liked them, but I don't
    > > remember them being particularly soft.

    >
    > Bartlett are good for canning and any dish where they are cooked, but
    > for eating raw, they are my last choice. Just me perhaps.


    Just you. I love them raw.

    --
    Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

  12. #12
    sf Guest

    Default Re: What's Up With Pears Lately?

    On Mon, 6 Feb 2012 09:08:51 -0600, "Nunya Bidnits"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > sf <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 20:29:55 -0500, Dave Smith
    > > <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >> On 05/02/2012 11:58 AM, sf wrote:
    > >>
    > >>>> Can't figure it out. Maybe I should squirt 'em with ethylene!
    > >>>
    > >>> Huh, Anjous and especially Bartlett will be firm even when ripe. I
    > >>> usually buy Bartlett and haven't had any trouble so far. I guess
    > >>> you're stuck cooking them instead of eating them raw.
    > >>>
    > >>
    > >> Anjous are firm when ripe?

    > >
    > > Like I said, I usually buy Bartlett. They're side by side and I go
    > > with Bartlett. I know I've bought Anjou and liked them, but I don't
    > > remember them being particularly soft.

    >
    > Anjous are slightly soft when ripe.
    >

    Okay. Maybe your slightly soft is my firm.


    --
    Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

  13. #13
    Nunya Bidnits Guest

    Default Re: What's Up With Pears Lately?

    sf <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On Mon, 6 Feb 2012 09:08:51 -0600, "Nunya Bidnits"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> sf <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>> On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 20:29:55 -0500, Dave Smith
    >>> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> On 05/02/2012 11:58 AM, sf wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>>> Can't figure it out. Maybe I should squirt 'em with ethylene!
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Huh, Anjous and especially Bartlett will be firm even when ripe.
    >>>>> I usually buy Bartlett and haven't had any trouble so far. I
    >>>>> guess you're stuck cooking them instead of eating them raw.
    >>>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> Anjous are firm when ripe?
    >>>
    >>> Like I said, I usually buy Bartlett. They're side by side and I go
    >>> with Bartlett. I know I've bought Anjou and liked them, but I don't
    >>> remember them being particularly soft.

    >>
    >> Anjous are slightly soft when ripe.
    >>

    > Okay. Maybe your slightly soft is my firm.


    Or maybe you were just wrong. I really doubt you have that much trouble
    interpreting tactile sensations.






  14. #14
    sf Guest

    Default Re: What's Up With Pears Lately?

    On Mon, 6 Feb 2012 16:49:47 -0600, "Nunya Bidnits"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >
    > Or maybe you were just wrong. I really doubt you have that much trouble
    > interpreting tactile sensations.


    Maybe I just didn't remember correctly, like I said - I usually buy
    Bartlett.

    --
    Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

  15. #15
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: What's Up With Pears Lately?

    On Mon, 6 Feb 2012 16:49:47 -0600, "Nunya Bidnits"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >sf <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> On Mon, 6 Feb 2012 09:08:51 -0600, "Nunya Bidnits"
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> sf <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>>> On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 20:29:55 -0500, Dave Smith
    >>>> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> On 05/02/2012 11:58 AM, sf wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>>> Can't figure it out. Maybe I should squirt 'em with ethylene!
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Huh, Anjous and especially Bartlett will be firm even when ripe.
    >>>>>> I usually buy Bartlett and haven't had any trouble so far. I
    >>>>>> guess you're stuck cooking them instead of eating them raw.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Anjous are firm when ripe?
    >>>>
    >>>> Like I said, I usually buy Bartlett. They're side by side and I go
    >>>> with Bartlett. I know I've bought Anjou and liked them, but I don't
    >>>> remember them being particularly soft.
    >>>
    >>> Anjous are slightly soft when ripe.
    >>>

    >> Okay. Maybe your slightly soft is my firm.

    >
    >Or maybe you were just wrong. I really doubt you have that much trouble
    >interpreting tactile sensations.


    sf hasn't had a hard one in thirty years.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32