Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: What is "My Thai Turkey Thanksgiving"?

  1. #1
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default What is "My Thai Turkey Thanksgiving"?

    No, it's not a Jeopardy! question. And it's not a turkey. And it
    may not be a Mai Thai.

    I rarely cook turkeys even for Thanksgiving, and never right side
    up. This is my thanksgiving "Turkey" dinner.

    This is 9-pound pork butt injected with Thai red curry paste +
    pineapple juice, with a dry curry rub. No cumin, no fenugreek.
    It's THAI curry, not Indian curry - drastically different beasts.

    Roasted at 475F for 12 minutes, then down to 285F for another 6
    hours, uncovered. I look for pork butts that are long and flat
    rather than square cut. You can put more rub on them and get more
    crust than a perfectly square cut.

    Whole roasted pork butt:
    http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/5059/porkbu3.jpg

    Stuffing pictured is Pepperidge farms herb stuffing mix made with
    home made chicken stock, rendered chicken skin fat in half the
    quantity of butter called for, with Jimmy Dean sage sausage, long
    pepper, onion, celery, green pepper, and crimini mushroom.

    Roasted Parisian carrots (from Belgium - sosueme. It's close
    enough) roasted briefly with butter and thyme. These are much
    better than any American carrots. And only $1.25 for 12oz frozen).

    Sliced beets I pickled myself, with Mazetta cocktail onions and
    pepperoncinis, and an Italian pickled pepper and garlic clove mix
    from... I'm drawing a blank on the name.

    Plated picture:
    http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/6245/thanks1.jpg

    This is the best meal I've had in months. Usually the pork at this
    store is kinda bland so I decided on the strong spice-up, but this
    batch was pretty porky good. And on sale for only $1/pound.

    I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Other than that 6:am
    Digiorno thin crust pizza, this was all I had to eat today. And I
    ate the whole plate except for the pepperoncini stems.

    Oh... and the My Thai. I'm not sure what's in a Mai Thai, but I'm
    drinking the rare hard alcohol, rum and the leftover pineapple
    juice for dessert (but I won't pick on people with missing limbs).
    I also have pineapple sherbet I just discovered in the freezer.

    EOT

    -sw

  2. #2
    Serene Vannoy Guest

    Default Re: What is "My Thai Turkey Thanksgiving"?

    On 11/27/2010 08:12 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

    > Plated picture:
    > http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/6245/thanks1.jpg


    I'll take two plates, exactly like that. That is a total thing of beauty.

    Serene
    --
    http://www.momfoodproject.com

  3. #3
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: What is "My Thai Turkey Thanksgiving"?

    On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 22:47:55 -0800, Serene Vannoy wrote:

    > On 11/27/2010 08:12 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
    >
    >> Plated picture:
    >> http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/6245/thanks1.jpg

    >
    > I'll take two plates, exactly like that. That is a total thing of beauty.


    Thank you. I wish I could see the picture other than in my 2.7"
    screen. But that's OK... I got to *eat* it :-)

    -sw

  4. #4
    Jean B. Guest

    Default Re: What is "My Thai Turkey Thanksgiving"?

    Sqwertz wrote:
    > No, it's not a Jeopardy! question. And it's not a turkey. And it
    > may not be a Mai Thai.
    >
    > I rarely cook turkeys even for Thanksgiving, and never right side
    > up. This is my thanksgiving "Turkey" dinner.
    >
    > This is 9-pound pork butt injected with Thai red curry paste +
    > pineapple juice, with a dry curry rub. No cumin, no fenugreek.
    > It's THAI curry, not Indian curry - drastically different beasts.
    >
    > Roasted at 475F for 12 minutes, then down to 285F for another 6
    > hours, uncovered. I look for pork butts that are long and flat
    > rather than square cut. You can put more rub on them and get more
    > crust than a perfectly square cut.
    >
    > Whole roasted pork butt:
    > http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/5059/porkbu3.jpg
    >
    > Stuffing pictured is Pepperidge farms herb stuffing mix made with
    > home made chicken stock, rendered chicken skin fat in half the
    > quantity of butter called for, with Jimmy Dean sage sausage, long
    > pepper, onion, celery, green pepper, and crimini mushroom.
    >
    > Roasted Parisian carrots (from Belgium - sosueme. It's close
    > enough) roasted briefly with butter and thyme. These are much
    > better than any American carrots. And only $1.25 for 12oz frozen).
    >
    > Sliced beets I pickled myself, with Mazetta cocktail onions and
    > pepperoncinis, and an Italian pickled pepper and garlic clove mix
    > from... I'm drawing a blank on the name.
    >
    > Plated picture:
    > http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/6245/thanks1.jpg
    >
    > This is the best meal I've had in months. Usually the pork at this
    > store is kinda bland so I decided on the strong spice-up, but this
    > batch was pretty porky good. And on sale for only $1/pound.
    >
    > I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Other than that 6:am
    > Digiorno thin crust pizza, this was all I had to eat today. And I
    > ate the whole plate except for the pepperoncini stems.
    >
    > Oh... and the My Thai. I'm not sure what's in a Mai Thai, but I'm
    > drinking the rare hard alcohol, rum and the leftover pineapple
    > juice for dessert (but I won't pick on people with missing limbs).
    > I also have pineapple sherbet I just discovered in the freezer.
    >
    > EOT
    >
    > -sw


    That's very interesting! (I was reading quickly at first and was
    looking for that turkey.)

    --
    Jean B.

  5. #5
    Jean B. Guest

    Default Re: What is "My Thai Turkey Thanksgiving"?

    Serene Vannoy wrote:
    > On 11/27/2010 08:12 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
    >
    >> Plated picture:
    >> http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/6245/thanks1.jpg

    >
    > I'll take two plates, exactly like that. That is a total thing of beauty.
    >
    > Serene


    Food porn. Any for me after Serene takes two plates?

    --
    Jean B.

  6. #6
    blake murphy Guest

    Default Re: What is "My Thai Turkey Thanksgiving"?

    On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 22:12:06 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:

    > No, it's not a Jeopardy! question. And it's not a turkey. And it
    > may not be a Mai Thai.
    >
    > I rarely cook turkeys even for Thanksgiving, and never right side
    > up. This is my thanksgiving "Turkey" dinner.
    >
    > This is 9-pound pork butt injected with Thai red curry paste +
    > pineapple juice, with a dry curry rub. No cumin, no fenugreek.
    > It's THAI curry, not Indian curry - drastically different beasts.
    >
    > Roasted at 475F for 12 minutes, then down to 285F for another 6
    > hours, uncovered. I look for pork butts that are long and flat
    > rather than square cut. You can put more rub on them and get more
    > crust than a perfectly square cut.
    >
    > Whole roasted pork butt:
    > http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/5059/porkbu3.jpg


    i swear, the center-right portion of the pic looks like some kind of wing.

    >
    > Oh... and the My Thai. I'm not sure what's in a Mai Thai, but I'm
    > drinking the rare hard alcohol, rum and the leftover pineapple
    > juice for dessert (but I won't pick on people with missing limbs).


    if you do, i hope you're better at it than raggedy andy and farm-boy.

    your pal,
    blake

  7. #7
    notbob Guest

    Default Re: What is "My Thai Turkey Thanksgiving"?

    On 2010-11-28, Sqwertz <[email protected]> wrote:

    >
    > This is 9-pound pork butt injected with Thai red curry paste +


    Nice bark!

    > Stuffing pictured is Pepperidge farms herb stuffing mix made with


    > Roasted Parisian carrots (from Belgium - sosueme. It's close
    >
    > Sliced beets I pickled myself, with Mazetta cocktail onions and
    > pepperoncinis, and an Italian pickled pepper and garlic clove mix


    Quite the cross-cuisine cooking adventure.

    > Digiorno thin crust pizza, this was all I had to eat today.


    Ack!! You had to ruin my whole fantasy by mentioning the worst, most
    tastless, frozen pizza on the mkt. Ten points off for Squertz House.

    nb

  8. #8
    Andy Guest

    Default Re: What is "My Thai Turkey Thanksgiving"?

    Try thin slicing turkey and make turkey satay.

    Like this: http://oi14.tinypic.com/3y5hf6o.jpg only using turkey.

    Recipe: http://alturl.com/o89ia

    I use safflower oil instead of butter.

    Serve with spicy Thai peanut butter dipping sauce.

    Andy

  9. #9
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: What is "My Thai Turkey Thanksgiving"?

    On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 09:18:47 -0500, Jean B. wrote:

    > Serene Vannoy wrote:
    >> On 11/27/2010 08:12 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
    >>
    >>> Plated picture:
    >>> http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/6245/thanks1.jpg

    >>
    >> I'll take two plates, exactly like that. That is a total thing of beauty.
    >>
    >> Serene

    >
    > Food porn. Any for me after Serene takes two plates?


    I only have everything to do one more plate of that. But I can do
    5 more plates without carrots.

    -sw

  10. #10
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: What is "My Thai Turkey Thanksgiving"?

    On 28 Nov 2010 15:54:19 GMT, notbob wrote:

    > Ack!! You had to ruin my whole fantasy by mentioning the worst, most
    > tastless, frozen pizza on the mkt. Ten points off for Squertz House.


    Every week HEB grocery store has a "Texas Showdown" where they pit
    their free product against a major name brand. This week it's buy
    a Digiorno for $4.99 (I got 4-meat classic thin crust) and get a
    HEB Classic pizza for free (I chose the 4-meat again).

    So that's like $2.50 a pizza. Can't beat that. I've only recently
    started buying frozen pizzas, so I still have another 12 brands to
    buy. They take up 3/4's of one side of an isle and oen or other is
    always on sale for cheap.

    Digiorno won the last round. Th HEB crust was way too much bread.

    -sw

  11. #11
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: What is "My Thai Turkey Thanksgiving"?

    On 28 Nov 2010 15:54:19 GMT, notbob wrote:

    > Ack!! You had to ruin my whole fantasy by mentioning the worst, most
    > tastless, frozen pizza on the mkt. Ten points off for Squertz House.


    Oh, is that a Hairy Potter reference? Puh-LEEEZE!

    -sw

  12. #12
    notbob Guest

    Default Re: What is "My Thai Turkey Thanksgiving"?

    On 2010-11-28, Sqwertz <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Digiorno won the last round.


    In what catagory? Pizza tasting most like its container?

    When Degiorno first came out, I tried it. It was brilliant. It
    actually WAS better than delivered pizza. Strong robust flavors,
    great sauce, plenty of meat and veggies. Over the years its place on
    the scale slid down, it becoming more and more bland and flavorless
    over time. Then it came out with its premier grade and a little of
    the old Degiorno resurfaced.

    I tried other brands and Freschetta showed itself to be a good
    combination of flavor and ingredients, but the damn things have a huge
    dead-zone crust edge that's a good 30-40% of the total pie. The last
    time I tried either Freschetta or a premier Digiorno, they were like
    eating cardboard. No flavor from either sauce or toppings. I would
    doubt my own palate were it not for the fact I can get a perfectly
    excellent pizza at my local pizza/brewpub.

    I love pizza and have tried them all. I no longer buy any frozen or
    store bought pizzas, they all being totally tasteless. I'd rather
    save my money and buy a smaller 10" pizza at my brewpub than a larger
    sawdust scam at the market for half the price. I choose flavor over
    savings every time.

    nb

  13. #13
    notbob Guest

    Default Re: What is "My Thai Turkey Thanksgiving"?

    On 2010-11-28, Sqwertz <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > Oh, is that a Hairy Potter reference? Puh-LEEEZE!


    "Puh-LEEEZE" what? You don't like the Harry Potter books?

    nb

  14. #14
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: What is "My Thai Turkey Thanksgiving"?

    On 28 Nov 2010 20:49:14 GMT, notbob wrote:

    > On 2010-11-28, Sqwertz <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Digiorno won the last round.

    >
    > In what catagory? Pizza tasting most like its container?


    They're certainly better than the frozen pizzas of my youth. I
    will probably buy a couple more rounds of those BOGOF deal before
    it expires. HEB has a huge selection of their brand pizzas.

    -sw

  15. #15
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: What is "My Thai Turkey Thanksgiving"?

    On 28 Nov 2010 20:51:32 GMT, notbob wrote:

    > On 2010-11-28, Sqwertz <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> Oh, is that a Hairy Potter reference? Puh-LEEEZE!

    >
    > "Puh-LEEEZE" what? You don't like the Harry Potter books?


    Maybe if I was 14. Or Bryan.

    -sw

  16. #16
    notbob Guest

    Default Re: What is "My Thai Turkey Thanksgiving"?

    On 2010-11-28, Sqwertz <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Maybe if I was 14.


    Like in your rfc mugshot?

    nb

  17. #17
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: What is "My Thai Turkey Thanksgiving"?

    On 28 Nov 2010 22:14:49 GMT, notbob wrote:

    > On 2010-11-28, Sqwertz <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Maybe if I was 14.

    >
    > Like in your rfc mugshot?


    I was in my 20's in that picture, perve.

    -sw

  18. #18
    Jean B. Guest

    Default Re: What is "My Thai Turkey Thanksgiving"?

    Sqwertz wrote:
    > On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 09:18:47 -0500, Jean B. wrote:
    >
    >> Serene Vannoy wrote:
    >>> On 11/27/2010 08:12 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Plated picture:
    >>>> http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/6245/thanks1.jpg
    >>>
    >>> I'll take two plates, exactly like that. That is a total thing of beauty.
    >>>
    >>> Serene

    >>
    >> Food porn. Any for me after Serene takes two plates?

    >
    > I only have everything to do one more plate of that. But I can do
    > 5 more plates without carrots.
    >
    > -sw


    Sniff, sniff. I suppose Serene is closer too.

    Seriously, that was truly beautiful--and potentially inspiring.

    --
    Jean B.

  19. #19
    Omelet Guest

    Default Re: What is "My Thai Turkey Thanksgiving"?

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Sqwertz <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On 28 Nov 2010 15:54:19 GMT, notbob wrote:
    >
    > > Ack!! You had to ruin my whole fantasy by mentioning the worst, most
    > > tastless, frozen pizza on the mkt. Ten points off for Squertz House.

    >
    > Every week HEB grocery store has a "Texas Showdown" where they pit
    > their free product against a major name brand. This week it's buy
    > a Digiorno for $4.99 (I got 4-meat classic thin crust) and get a
    > HEB Classic pizza for free (I chose the 4-meat again).
    >
    > So that's like $2.50 a pizza. Can't beat that. I've only recently
    > started buying frozen pizzas, so I still have another 12 brands to
    > buy. They take up 3/4's of one side of an isle and oen or other is
    > always on sale for cheap.
    >
    > Digiorno won the last round. Th HEB crust was way too much bread.
    >
    > -sw


    Totinos works for me. The less crust, the better!
    --
    Peace! Om

    Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or
    no influence on society. -- Mark Twain

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32