Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 49

Thread: What kind of sausage?

  1. #1
    [email protected] Guest

    Default What kind of sausage?

    I clipped a recipe for what looks like a simple jambalaya out of Sunday's paper.
    In the ingredients list it says chicken and sausage. What kind of sausage? It
    wasn't specific. I've never had jambalaya so I wouldn't know. But I'd like to
    try this recipe. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Julie Bove Guest

    Default Re: What kind of sausage?


    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    >I clipped a recipe for what looks like a simple jambalaya out of Sunday's
    >paper.
    > In the ingredients list it says chicken and sausage. What kind of sausage?
    > It
    > wasn't specific. I've never had jambalaya so I wouldn't know. But I'd like
    > to
    > try this recipe. Thanks.


    Andoui.



  3. #3
    zxcvbob Guest

    Default Re: What kind of sausage?

    Julie Bove wrote:
    > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]..
    >> I clipped a recipe for what looks like a simple jambalaya out of Sunday's
    >> paper.
    >> In the ingredients list it says chicken and sausage. What kind of sausage?
    >> It
    >> wasn't specific. I've never had jambalaya so I wouldn't know. But I'd like
    >> to
    >> try this recipe. Thanks.

    >
    > Andoui.
    >
    >



    Little Sizzlers "hot and spicy" breakfast links work pretty well in
    jambalaya. Cut them into 3 or 4 pieces and brown them good.

    -Bob

  4. #4
    sf Guest

    Default Re: What kind of sausage?

    On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 00:39:20 -0500, [email protected] wrote:

    > I clipped a recipe for what looks like a simple jambalaya out of Sunday's paper.
    > In the ingredients list it says chicken and sausage. What kind of sausage? It
    > wasn't specific. I've never had jambalaya so I wouldn't know. But I'd like to
    > try this recipe. Thanks.


    I've used kielbasa and it worked out well, but I'm not southern.

    --
    All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

  5. #5
    Bob Terwilliger Guest

    Default Re: What kind of sausage?

    Julie wrote:

    >> I clipped a recipe for what looks like a simple jambalaya out of Sunday's
    >> paper. In the ingredients list it says chicken and sausage. What kind of
    >> sausage? It wasn't specific. I've never had jambalaya so I wouldn't know.
    >> But I'd like to try this recipe. Thanks.

    >
    > Andoui.


    Close: andouille.

    Bob




  6. #6
    Julie Bove Guest

    Default Re: What kind of sausage?


    "Bob Terwilliger" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote in message
    news:4ebcc9fb$0$29261$c3e8da3$[email protected] eb.com...
    > Julie wrote:
    >
    >>> I clipped a recipe for what looks like a simple jambalaya out of
    >>> Sunday's paper. In the ingredients list it says chicken and sausage.
    >>> What kind of sausage? It wasn't specific. I've never had jambalaya so I
    >>> wouldn't know. But I'd like to try this recipe. Thanks.

    >>
    >> Andoui.

    >
    > Close: andouille.


    Thanks! I knew that wasn't spelled right.



  7. #7
    Ed Pawlowski Guest

    Default Re: What kind of sausage?

    On Thu, 10 Nov 2011 22:49:52 -0800, sf <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 00:39:20 -0500, [email protected] wrote:
    >
    >> I clipped a recipe for what looks like a simple jambalaya out of Sunday's paper.
    >> In the ingredients list it says chicken and sausage. What kind of sausage? It
    >> wasn't specific. I've never had jambalaya so I wouldn't know. But I'd like to
    >> try this recipe. Thanks.

    >
    >I've used kielbasa and it worked out well, but I'm not southern.



    Same here. We can't always find andouille around here. My wife has
    use chiorzo also.

  8. #8
    [email protected] Guest

    Default Re: What kind of sausage?


  9. #9
    Cindy Fuller Guest

    Default Re: What kind of sausage?

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] wrote:

    > I clipped a recipe for what looks like a simple jambalaya out of Sunday's
    > paper.
    > In the ingredients list it says chicken and sausage. What kind of sausage? It
    > wasn't specific. I've never had jambalaya so I wouldn't know. But I'd like to
    > try this recipe. Thanks.


    Twenty years ago I had a lesson at the New Orleans School of Cooking.
    The instructor said that you could use andouille (the authentic sausage)
    or kielbasa, but not Italian sausage. At the time, andouille wasn't
    common outside Louisiana, but now you can get Bruce Aidells's
    version--at least on the West Coast.

    Cindy

    --
    C.J. Fuller

    Delete the obvious to email me

  10. #10
    Andy Guest

    Default Re: What kind of sausage?

    [email protected] wrote:

    > On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 00:39:20 -0500, [email protected] wrote:
    >
    >>I clipped a recipe for what looks like a simple jambalaya out of
    >>Sunday's paper. In the ingredients list it says chicken and sausage.
    >>What kind of sausage? It wasn't specific. I've never had jambalaya so
    >>I wouldn't know. But I'd like to try this recipe. Thanks.

    >
    > Thanks for the info and suggestions.



    I make the Zaterain's boxed mix and use hot Italian sausage. I slice the
    1 lb. sausage open and brown it like hamburger but until about half
    doneness, since adding it to the pot fully cooked could easily overdo the
    doneness.

    I have made a scratch recipe but Zaterain's boxed version is my favorite.

    A wake-up leftover personal portion only requires a tablespoon or two of
    water in a sauce pan on the stove and stirred combining together until it
    steam reheats in two or three minutes over medium heat.

    That's how it works at my house!

    YMMV,

    Andy

  11. #11
    Nunya Bidnits Guest

    Default Re: What kind of sausage?


  12. #12
    Nunya Bidnits Guest

    Default Re: What kind of sausage?

    Ed Pawlowski <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On Thu, 10 Nov 2011 22:49:52 -0800, sf <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 00:39:20 -0500, [email protected] wrote:
    >>
    >>> I clipped a recipe for what looks like a simple jambalaya out of
    >>> Sunday's paper. In the ingredients list it says chicken and
    >>> sausage. What kind of sausage? It wasn't specific. I've never had
    >>> jambalaya so I wouldn't know. But I'd like to try this recipe.
    >>> Thanks.

    >>
    >> I've used kielbasa and it worked out well, but I'm not southern.

    >
    >
    > Same here. We can't always find andouille around here. My wife has
    > use chiorzo also.


    I'd never think of that as a substitute for andouille, unless you are
    talking about smoked Spanish chorizo.



  13. #13
    Jerry Avins Guest

    Default Re: What kind of sausage?

    On Nov 11, 12:39*am, rfd...@optonline.net wrote:
    > I clipped a recipe for what looks like a simple jambalaya out of Sunday'spaper.
    > In the ingredients list it says chicken and sausage. What kind of sausage? It
    > wasn't specific. I've never had jambalaya so I wouldn't know. But I'd like to
    > try this recipe. Thanks.


    Probly many kinds of hot sausage. Authentic -- whatever that means --
    would probably be andouille.

    Jerry
    --
    Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can get.

  14. #14
    Jerry Avins Guest

    Default Re: What kind of sausage?

    On Nov 11, 6:58*pm, "Nunya Bidnits" <nunyabidn...@eternal-
    september.invalid> wrote:
    > Ed Pawlowski <e...@snet.net> wrote:
    > > On Thu, 10 Nov 2011 22:49:52 -0800, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:

    >
    > >> On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 00:39:20 -0500, rfd...@optonline.net wrote:

    >
    > >>> I clipped a recipe for what looks like a simple jambalaya out of
    > >>> Sunday's paper. In the ingredients list it says chicken and
    > >>> sausage. What kind of sausage? It wasn't specific. I've never had
    > >>> jambalaya so I wouldn't know. But I'd like to try this recipe.
    > >>> Thanks.

    >
    > >> I've used kielbasa and it worked out well, but I'm not southern.

    >
    > > Same here. *We can't always find andouille around here. My wife has
    > > use chiorzo also.

    >
    > I'd never think of that as a substitute for andouille, unless you are
    > talking about smoked Spanish chorizo.


    Or the Portugese chourico.

    Jerry
    --
    Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can get.

  15. #15
    Bob Terwilliger Guest

    Default Re: What kind of sausage?

    Marty replied to Ed:

    >> Same here. We can't always find andouille around here. My wife has
    >> use chiorzo also.

    >
    > I'd never think of that as a substitute for andouille, unless you are
    > talking about smoked Spanish chorizo.


    I started to write the same thing, but remembered that Ed lives on the East
    Coast, where Spanish chorizo is much more available than Mexican.

    Bob



  16. #16
    Michael OConnor Guest

    Default Re: What kind of sausage?


    > Andouille is the go-to sausage for cajun recipes.


    Chorizo will work if you cannot find Andouille. If you wanted to go
    with something like Hillshire Farms smoked sausage that would work
    too. I would stay away from italian sausages or german type brat
    sausages for cajun dishes

  17. #17
    Steve Pope Guest

    Default Re: What kind of sausage?

    Michael OConnor <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> Andouille is the go-to sausage for cajun recipes.


    >Chorizo will work if you cannot find Andouille.


    Good lord, not Mexican chorizo, which is 99% of the chorizo sold
    or consumed in the western U.S.



    Steve

  18. #18
    Ed Pawlowski Guest

    Default Re: What kind of sausage?

    On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 19:10:43 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
    <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote:

    >Marty replied to Ed:
    >
    >>> Same here. We can't always find andouille around here. My wife has
    >>> use chiorzo also.

    >>
    >> I'd never think of that as a substitute for andouille, unless you are
    >> talking about smoked Spanish chorizo.

    >
    >I started to write the same thing, but remembered that Ed lives on the East
    >Coast, where Spanish chorizo is much more available than Mexican.
    >
    >Bob
    >


    I even forgot there are two types. We've never seen the Mexican here
    in New England. It may exist, but is not common.

  19. #19
    sf Guest

    Default Re: What kind of sausage?

    On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 19:10:43 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
    <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote:

    > Marty replied to Ed:
    >
    > >> Same here. We can't always find andouille around here. My wife has
    > >> use chiorzo also.

    > >
    > > I'd never think of that as a substitute for andouille, unless you are
    > > talking about smoked Spanish chorizo.

    >
    > I started to write the same thing, but remembered that Ed lives on the East
    > Coast, where Spanish chorizo is much more available than Mexican.
    >


    Started? Are you trying to blend in and sound like normal folk, BT?

    --
    All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

  20. #20
    Bob Terwilliger Guest

    Default Re: What kind of sausage?

    sf wrote:

    >> Marty replied to Ed:
    >>
    >>>> Same here. We can't always find andouille around here. My wife has
    >>>> use chiorzo also.
    >>>
    >>> I'd never think of that as a substitute for andouille, unless you are
    >>> talking about smoked Spanish chorizo.

    >>
    >> I started to write the same thing, but remembered that Ed lives on the
    >> East Coast, where Spanish chorizo is much more available than Mexican.
    >>

    >
    > Started? Are you trying to blend in and sound like normal folk, BT?


    No, I mean that I actually began to write a post saying the same thing Marty
    said, then deleted the post unsent. I had no intention of trying to blend in
    with any group of people, normal or otherwise. (Maybe that in itself makes
    me abnormal.)

    Bob



Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32