Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 73

Thread: Using up what you have.

  1. #41
    Chemo Guest

    Default Re: Using up what you have.

    On Oct 5, 2:46*pm, "Julie Bove" <julieb...@frontier.com> wrote:
    > ImStillMags wrote:
    > > On Oct 5, 12:45 pm, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" <atlas-
    > > bug...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
    > >> In article <k4lgm7$91...@dont-email.me>, "Julie Bove"
    > >> <julieb...@frontier.com> wrote:

    >
    > > You know........ just because there is a coupon for it and just
    > > because it is on the grocery shelves......doesn't mean you HAVE to buy
    > > it.

    >
    > And I don't. *But we do eat frozen potatoes from time to time. *I just made
    > a mistake in the timing of buying them. *If daughter could have eaten them,
    > they would be gone by now.
    >
    > > When will people stop being brainwashed by advertising?

    >
    > I don't pay attention to advertising.
    >
    >
    >
    > > Don't buy all that processed crap, it's BAD for you. * In the long run
    > > it is MORE expensive simply because you buy it and either don't use it
    > > or don't use it up before it goes bad (but with all the preservatives
    > > in some of that stuff it will still be here long after the planet
    > > dies).

    >
    > Nothing wrong with frozen potatoes.
    >
    >
    >
    > > Here's a suggestion. * Eat fresh fruits and vegetables, preferably
    > > organic or pesticide free and non GMO. * Eat clean
    > > pastured beef, pork and chicken, * wild caught fish and pastured
    > > eggs.

    >
    > I can not eat fish or eggs or chicken. *I don't eat pork except for
    > occasional bacon. *I used to eat organic but now they are saying that
    > perhaps it isn't any better for you. *And no, I am not one who thought that
    > it contained more nutrients. *Just less chemicals. *But now they are saying
    > that might not be true.
    >
    >
    >
    > > Stay completely away from packaged foods as much as possible.

    >
    > I do.
    >
    >
    >
    > > You will live a healthier, happier life and spend way less money on
    > > junk.

    >
    > Not necessarily. *You can save lots of money by eating junk. *You would be
    > healthier but you will save money.


    I can eat cheaper by not buying junk and you won't be healthier by
    eating junk.

  2. #42
    merryb Guest

    Default Re: Using up what you have.

    On Oct 5, 2:46*pm, "Julie Bove" <julieb...@frontier.com> wrote:
    > ImStillMags wrote:
    > > On Oct 5, 12:45 pm, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" <atlas-
    > > bug...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
    > >> In article <k4lgm7$91...@dont-email.me>, "Julie Bove"
    > >> <julieb...@frontier.com> wrote:

    >
    > > You know........ just because there is a coupon for it and just
    > > because it is on the grocery shelves......doesn't mean you HAVE to buy
    > > it.

    >
    > And I don't. *But we do eat frozen potatoes from time to time. *I just made
    > a mistake in the timing of buying them. *If daughter could have eaten them,
    > they would be gone by now.
    >
    > > When will people stop being brainwashed by advertising?

    >
    > I don't pay attention to advertising.
    >
    >
    >
    > > Don't buy all that processed crap, it's BAD for you. * In the long run
    > > it is MORE expensive simply because you buy it and either don't use it
    > > or don't use it up before it goes bad (but with all the preservatives
    > > in some of that stuff it will still be here long after the planet
    > > dies).

    >
    > Nothing wrong with frozen potatoes.
    >
    >
    >
    > > Here's a suggestion. * Eat fresh fruits and vegetables, preferably
    > > organic or pesticide free and non GMO. * Eat clean
    > > pastured beef, pork and chicken, * wild caught fish and pastured
    > > eggs.

    >
    > I can not eat fish or eggs or chicken. *I don't eat pork except for
    > occasional bacon. *I used to eat organic but now they are saying that
    > perhaps it isn't any better for you. *And no, I am not one who thought that
    > it contained more nutrients. *Just less chemicals. *But now they are saying
    > that might not be true.
    >
    >
    >
    > > Stay completely away from packaged foods as much as possible.

    >
    > I do.
    >
    >
    >
    > > You will live a healthier, happier life and spend way less money on
    > > junk.

    >
    > Not necessarily. *You can save lots of money by eating junk. *You would be
    > healthier but you will save money.


    You are what you eat...

  3. #43
    graham Guest

    Default Re: Using up what you have.


    "Julie Bove" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:k4nkg5$aqm$[email protected]..
    > ImStillMags wrote:
    >> On Oct 5, 12:45 pm, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" <atlas-
    >> bug...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
    >>> In article <k4lgm7$91...@dont-email.me>, "Julie Bove"
    >>> <julieb...@frontier.com> wrote:
    >>>

    >>
    >> You know........ just because there is a coupon for it and just
    >> because it is on the grocery shelves......doesn't mean you HAVE to buy
    >> it.
    >>

    >
    > And I don't. But we do eat frozen potatoes from time to time. I just
    > made a mistake in the timing of buying them. If daughter could have eaten
    > them, they would be gone by now.
    >
    >> When will people stop being brainwashed by advertising?

    >
    > I don't pay attention to advertising.
    >>
    >> Don't buy all that processed crap, it's BAD for you. In the long run
    >> it is MORE expensive simply because you buy it and either don't use it
    >> or don't use it up before it goes bad (but with all the preservatives
    >> in some of that stuff it will still be here long after the planet
    >> dies).

    >
    > Nothing wrong with frozen potatoes.
    >>
    >> Here's a suggestion. Eat fresh fruits and vegetables, preferably
    >> organic or pesticide free and non GMO. Eat clean
    >> pastured beef, pork and chicken, wild caught fish and pastured
    >> eggs.

    >
    > I can not eat fish or eggs or chicken. I don't eat pork except for
    > occasional bacon. I used to eat organic but now they are saying that
    > perhaps it isn't any better for you. And no, I am not one who thought
    > that it contained more nutrients. Just less chemicals. But now they are
    > saying that might not be true.
    >>
    >> Stay completely away from packaged foods as much as possible.

    >
    > I do.
    >>
    >> You will live a healthier, happier life and spend way less money on
    >> junk.

    >
    > Not necessarily. You can save lots of money by eating junk. You would be
    > healthier but you will save money.

    Evidently, junk food has rotted your brain!



  4. #44
    MaryL Guest

    Default Re: Using up what you have.



    "Julie Bove" wrote in message news:k4nk9m$9n4$[email protected]..

    MaryL wrote:
    > "Julie Bove" wrote in message news:k4lau2$gta$[email protected]..
    >
    > I am making a big effort to do this at the moment and thanks to
    > attempting but rather failing trying to be an Extreme couponer, I do
    > have quite a bit in my larder. But some of it needs to be used up
    > right away.
    > I do have some frozen French fries and Tater Tots. Aside from a
    > Tater Tot type of casserole, I don't know what use those will have. Except
    > to eat them as is. I may end up tossing some of those because
    > I am the only one who currently eats them.
    >
    > I do have a large bag of hash browns to use up. And in case any of
    > you are wondering why I would get such things and not make them from
    > scratch, well... I don't mind using them for one thing and I got
    > them for free or very cheap using coupons. I intend to use those to
    > make something similar to O'Brien potatoes except that they won't be
    > cubes. I have plenty of bacon and onions and I do have some red and
    > green peppers. So I will mix those things up and they will be dinner.
    >
    > I am hoping that Winco will still have a good price on bell peppers
    > so I will be getting some more of those and some ground beef and make
    > some unstuffed peppers. I have never tried this before. Basically
    > make like you would stuffed peppers but you cut the peppers in bite
    > sized pieces and mix with your meat, tomato sauce, rice (if you are
    > using it) and seasonings. I figure I will have a better shot at
    > getting daughter to eat the peppers if I do it this way. Normally
    > both she and my husband scoop all of their stuffing out and put their
    > peppers on my plate because they don't like to eat them like that. I
    > do have plenty of rice in the cupboard.
    > Looks like the beans are going to have to wait another week unless I
    > just cook up a small amount of plain ones.
    >
    > Do you have anything like that you are going to use up this week? Maybe
    > because you have a lot of it? Or because it's getting rather
    > old?
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    > You did not ask for this type of advice, but I would like to make a
    > suggestion. The type of prepared food you mentioned here are among
    > the *worst* items for a diabetic. I do realize that you are very
    > limited in what you can eat, but I would suggest that you should not
    > even consider getting these items for yourself--even if they are free
    > or very cheap. Yes, it is wasteful to throw out good food, but it is
    > even worse to eat food like that when you are facing the problems of
    > a diabetic. When I was first diagnosed T2, I completely emptied my
    > pantry of everything I should not eat and gave everything to a food
    > pantry. I have not replaced them. Of course, you can't do that with
    > frozen food. You will need to keep certain foods for Angela and your
    > husband even if you can't eat them, but it is difficult to stick to a
    > healthy diet if your pantry and fridge are loaded with food that you
    > should not eat.


    But that is exactly what I *have* to eat. I also have gastroparesis. A low
    carb diet does not work for me. It pushes my blood sugar up to over 300 and
    it stays there. Aside from my almost 500 number a couple of weeks ago due
    to the stress (I think) of my screwed up insulin prescription, the saga of
    which still continues... Most of my numbers have been in the normal range.
    I am getting one hypo about every other day. It is extremely difficult to
    control blood sugar when you have gastroparesis because you do not digest
    your food the way that you should.

    Mostly I have to eat easy to digest foods. And potatoes are in there. I do
    not watch the fat content of my food because what I naturally prefer is low
    to no fat. Because of this the dieticians I have seen have urged me to add
    fat to my diet. So eating hash browns or French fries once in a while is
    not a problem.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Okay, thanks. I have knowledge about T2 diabetes but must admit that I
    don't know much about gastroparesis. What little I do know about that has
    come from some of your messages.

    MaryL


  5. #45
    Ed Pawlowski Guest

    Default Re: Using up what you have.

    On Fri, 5 Oct 2012 07:58:10 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
    <[email protected]> wrote:


    >I not only avoid overstocking, but I also get a laugh out of that ad which says Americans throw out 500 dollars worth of food a year.
    > I sure don't. I use leftovers the next day, use green bags, keep a freezer inventory etc. I doubt if I throw 20 bucks worth away a year.
    >
    >


    Same here, but I do know people that toss that much and probably
    more. I know people that will cook a 14 pound turkey and not eat any
    leftovers. In our house, not only do we have the turkey for a couple
    of meals, the carcass becomes a base for soup. Of 20 working days a
    month, about 19 of my lunches are leftovers.

    Even when I don't have anything to take for lunch, the frozen meals in
    the freezer at work are when Stouffers is on sale 4 for $10.

    Coupons are a PITA, but I do pay attention to what is on sale.
    Yesterday, I picked up 8 items at the supermarket, 7 were on sale.

    We shop at BJ's too, but you have to use care. I won't buy the huge
    jars of peanut butter or mayo since they would hang around too long.

  6. #46
    Julie Bove Guest

    Default Re: Using up what you have.


    "graham" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:HhLbs.8673$[email protected]..
    >
    > "Julie Bove" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:k4nkg5$aqm$[email protected]..
    >> ImStillMags wrote:
    >>> On Oct 5, 12:45 pm, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" <atlas-
    >>> bug...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
    >>>> In article <k4lgm7$91...@dont-email.me>, "Julie Bove"
    >>>> <julieb...@frontier.com> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> You know........ just because there is a coupon for it and just
    >>> because it is on the grocery shelves......doesn't mean you HAVE to buy
    >>> it.
    >>>

    >>
    >> And I don't. But we do eat frozen potatoes from time to time. I just
    >> made a mistake in the timing of buying them. If daughter could have
    >> eaten them, they would be gone by now.
    >>
    >>> When will people stop being brainwashed by advertising?

    >>
    >> I don't pay attention to advertising.
    >>>
    >>> Don't buy all that processed crap, it's BAD for you. In the long run
    >>> it is MORE expensive simply because you buy it and either don't use it
    >>> or don't use it up before it goes bad (but with all the preservatives
    >>> in some of that stuff it will still be here long after the planet
    >>> dies).

    >>
    >> Nothing wrong with frozen potatoes.
    >>>
    >>> Here's a suggestion. Eat fresh fruits and vegetables, preferably
    >>> organic or pesticide free and non GMO. Eat clean
    >>> pastured beef, pork and chicken, wild caught fish and pastured
    >>> eggs.

    >>
    >> I can not eat fish or eggs or chicken. I don't eat pork except for
    >> occasional bacon. I used to eat organic but now they are saying that
    >> perhaps it isn't any better for you. And no, I am not one who thought
    >> that it contained more nutrients. Just less chemicals. But now they are
    >> saying that might not be true.
    >>>
    >>> Stay completely away from packaged foods as much as possible.

    >>
    >> I do.
    >>>
    >>> You will live a healthier, happier life and spend way less money on
    >>> junk.

    >>
    >> Not necessarily. You can save lots of money by eating junk. You would
    >> be healthier but you will save money.

    > Evidently, junk food has rotted your brain!


    Nope. I don't eat it. But sadly a lot of people do because they can get it
    for free.



  7. #47
    Julie Bove Guest

    Default Re: Using up what you have.


    "Ed Pawlowski" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > On Fri, 5 Oct 2012 07:58:10 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>I not only avoid overstocking, but I also get a laugh out of that ad which
    >>says Americans throw out 500 dollars worth of food a year.
    >> I sure don't. I use leftovers the next day, use green bags, keep a
    >> freezer inventory etc. I doubt if I throw 20 bucks worth away a year.
    >>
    >>

    >
    > Same here, but I do know people that toss that much and probably
    > more. I know people that will cook a 14 pound turkey and not eat any
    > leftovers. In our house, not only do we have the turkey for a couple
    > of meals, the carcass becomes a base for soup. Of 20 working days a
    > month, about 19 of my lunches are leftovers.
    >
    > Even when I don't have anything to take for lunch, the frozen meals in
    > the freezer at work are when Stouffers is on sale 4 for $10.
    >
    > Coupons are a PITA, but I do pay attention to what is on sale.
    > Yesterday, I picked up 8 items at the supermarket, 7 were on sale.
    >
    > We shop at BJ's too, but you have to use care. I won't buy the huge
    > jars of peanut butter or mayo since they would hang around too long.


    Today I bought very little food. I did buy soda because it was on sale for
    a good price and then I found it for an even better price at Target. I did
    buy two packs of frozen peanut butter and jelly stuffed kid's things at
    Target. They were on sale. I have not tried them so don't know if I will
    like them. And hopefully the peanut butter won't be recalled. These are
    not something I would eat on a regular basis by any means but I have had
    times lately where I had to get my daughter to dance and wasn't able to eat
    before we left due to a variety of reasons. These would be great for me to
    grab on my way out the door and to eat at the dance studio. And because I
    have been having trouble with low blood sugar I think this is all the more
    reason to get something like this. If it turns out that I like them or at
    least don't really dislike them, I will get more.

    I bought a pound of Laura's ground beef which I will combine with the
    peppers, onions, brown rice and tomato sauce that I already have to make
    unstuffed peppers. That should cover two meals. At Costco I bought a loaf
    of bread, a case of baby carrots and two cases of sliced apples. The
    carrots will likely last us two weeks. They are good until the 23rd. The
    apples will last a week and perhaps 2-3 days longer depending on whether or
    not I eat any. The rest of what we eat for the week will mostly be what we
    already have in the house. I also bought cat treats at Target. They were
    on sale for $1.01 per package and I had a coupon to save 75 cents off of two
    packs. And I used $1.00 off coupon at Albertsons for a People magazine.

    Tomorrow we will go to Winco, mainly for more peppers, assuming they are at
    a good price. I will cut some up for the freezer and I am thinking I should
    also do the same for some of the onions that I have in the fridge. I bought
    a smallish bag of yellow onions. I mostly use those for cooking so I might
    as well freeze them since I now have plenty of freezer space. The only
    other thing that I have on my list is bagels. But we will still wander the
    aisles because it is one form of exercise that I can do and we will be
    looking for bargains. Winco does not usually have advertised specials. If
    they are opening a new store they may put out a small flyer. But most of
    the time you have to go to the store to see what they have. Daughter might
    buy a sandwich or two. Often they have them marked down to $1.49.

    We don't really need anything more for our stockpile except for some shelf
    stable milk which they do not carry. I just bought some but it expires in
    Dec. So we will be using that up now. Wish I could remember where we
    bought it. The prior milk came from Big Lots but when we went back to get
    more, they have none. So I will probably not be buying much at all there
    unless I see some whopping good prices on things.




  8. #48
    jmcquown Guest

    Default Re: Using up what you have.

    "Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..

    In article <k4lgm7$91k$[email protected]>, "Julie Bove"
    <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > "Pico Rico" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:k4lgd6$fie$[email protected]..
    > >
    > > "Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]..
    > >> In article <k4ldjl$sg1$[email protected]>, "Julie Bove"
    > >> <[email protected]>
    > >> wrote:
    > >>
    > >>> I don't have any kids. Just a teen who can only eat sweet potatoes
    > >>> and
    > >>> not
    > >>> the regular kind. And I can't eat cheese.
    > >>
    > >> strange that her teenager isn't her kid

    > >
    > >
    > > goats will eat anything. Her teen definitely won't.

    >
    > *sigh* She is on the South Beach diet and I don't know anyone with goats.


    yeh, like there are no ethnic restaurants or groceries in her area
    *****************
    She sure did let that goat/kid reference fly right over her head. LOL

    You say that like *every* town in the US has an ethnic grocery store. Got
    news for you, that's not necessarily the case. (Same goes for farmer's
    markets.)

    There is a Mexican market about 6 miles from me. No one speaks English and
    I don't speak Spanish so I only buy things there on rare occasions. (Money
    translates, regardless.) There are no Chinese or otherwise Asian markets
    nearby. Restaurants? There are plenty of Thai restaurants around, although
    I couldn't tell you why.

    The "farmers market" here is a roaming market. It's only open one day a
    week for a couple of hours before they tear down and set up in the next
    town. If you blink (or sleep late) you'll miss it. There are a couple of
    farm stands in the area but they only sell on Friday and Saturday. When I
    drove past the vegetable market which used to be open 7 days a week, then
    five, then sporadically... the parking lot was cordoned off. Uh oh. Looks
    like they're going out of business after 40 years. Point being, not
    everyone has the same thing available everywhere.

    Jill


  9. #49
    jmcquown Guest

    Default Re: Using up what you have.

    "Julie Bove" wrote in message news:k4lgm7$91k$[email protected]..


    "Pico Rico" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:k4lgd6$fie$[email protected]..
    >
    > "Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]..
    >> In article <k4ldjl$sg1$[email protected]>, "Julie Bove"
    >> <[email protected]>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I don't have any kids. Just a teen who can only eat sweet potatoes and
    >>> not
    >>> the regular kind. And I can't eat cheese.

    >>
    >> strange that her teenager isn't her kid

    >
    >
    > goats will eat anything. Her teen definitely won't.


    *sigh* She is on the South Beach diet and I don't know anyone with goats.

    ********************
    Whooosh! A "kid" is a young goat.

    Jill


  10. #50
    John John Guest

    Default Re: Using up what you have.

    On Sat, 6 Oct 2012 07:39:13 -0400, "jmcquown" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >"Julie Bove" wrote in message news:k4lgm7$91k$[email protected]..
    >
    >
    >"Pico Rico" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:k4lgd6$fie$[email protected]..
    >>
    >> "Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]..
    >>> In article <k4ldjl$sg1$[email protected]>, "Julie Bove"
    >>> <[email protected]>
    >>> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> I don't have any kids. Just a teen who can only eat sweet potatoes and
    >>>> not
    >>>> the regular kind. And I can't eat cheese.
    >>>
    >>> strange that her teenager isn't her kid

    >>
    >>
    >> goats will eat anything. Her teen definitely won't.

    >
    >*sigh* She is on the South Beach diet and I don't know anyone with goats.
    >
    >********************
    >Whooosh! A "kid" is a young goat.


    Speak for yourself.

    --
    John

  11. #51
    Steve Pope Guest

    Default Re: Using up what you have.

    Julie Bove <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I don't know how much food Americans throw away. I do know a very common
    >scenario in our house and my friend's house. Someone will decide that they
    >really, really like something. Say... Yogurt. So they are eating it every
    >day and you wind up stocking up on it when it goes on sale. Then all of a
    >sudden they are sick of it and never want to eat it again. And nobody else
    >in the house likes it. So out it goes. If this happens here with a
    >non-perishable, I will just give it to the food bank. But if it is
    >something like yogurt, they won't take it and I don't know anyone else who
    >will.


    Was at the park yesterday and the Park Police were hassling a guy
    for selling samosas. An unlicensed vendor type. So, he walked
    around giving away the rest of his tray of samosas.

    That is probably also illegal, but they let him do it.


    Steve

  12. #52
    Steve Pope Guest

    Default Re: Using up what you have.

    Julie Bove <[email protected]> wrote:

    >But that is exactly what I *have* to eat. I also have gastroparesis. A low
    >carb diet does not work for me. It pushes my blood sugar up to over 300 and
    >it stays there. Aside from my almost 500 number a couple of weeks ago due
    >to the stress (I think) of my screwed up insulin prescription, the saga of
    >which still continues... Most of my numbers have been in the normal range.
    >I am getting one hypo about every other day. It is extremely difficult to
    >control blood sugar when you have gastroparesis because you do not digest
    >your food the way that you should.
    >
    >Mostly I have to eat easy to digest foods. And potatoes are in there. I do
    >not watch the fat content of my food because what I naturally prefer is low
    >to no fat. Because of this the dieticians I have seen have urged me to add
    >fat to my diet. So eating hash browns or French fries once in a while is
    >not a problem.


    So basically the gastroparesis protects you against high GI foods
    and blood sugar spikes/crashes?

    I have enough gastroparesis (evidenced by other symptoms) that I cannot
    readily make my blood sugar spike even if I wanted to.


    Steve

  13. #53
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: Using up what you have.

    On Fri, 5 Oct 2012 22:38:13 -0700, "Julie Bove"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >
    >"Ed Pawlowski" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]. .
    >> On Fri, 5 Oct 2012 07:58:10 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>I not only avoid overstocking, but I also get a laugh out of that ad which
    >>>says Americans throw out 500 dollars worth of food a year.
    >>> I sure don't. I use leftovers the next day, use green bags, keep a
    >>> freezer inventory etc. I doubt if I throw 20 bucks worth away a year.
    >>>
    >>>

    >>
    >> Same here, but I do know people that toss that much and probably
    >> more. I know people that will cook a 14 pound turkey and not eat any
    >> leftovers. In our house, not only do we have the turkey for a couple
    >> of meals, the carcass becomes a base for soup. Of 20 working days a
    >> month, about 19 of my lunches are leftovers.
    >>
    >> Even when I don't have anything to take for lunch, the frozen meals in
    >> the freezer at work are when Stouffers is on sale 4 for $10.
    >>
    >> Coupons are a PITA, but I do pay attention to what is on sale.
    >> Yesterday, I picked up 8 items at the supermarket, 7 were on sale.
    >>
    >> We shop at BJ's too, but you have to use care. I won't buy the huge
    >> jars of peanut butter or mayo since they would hang around too long.

    >
    >Today I bought very little food. I did buy soda because it was on sale for
    >a good price


    Soda is NOT food.


  14. #54
    Julie Bove Guest

    Default Re: Using up what you have.


    "Steve Pope" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:k4p65u$ul0$[email protected]..
    > Julie Bove <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>But that is exactly what I *have* to eat. I also have gastroparesis. A
    >>low
    >>carb diet does not work for me. It pushes my blood sugar up to over 300
    >>and
    >>it stays there. Aside from my almost 500 number a couple of weeks ago due
    >>to the stress (I think) of my screwed up insulin prescription, the saga of
    >>which still continues... Most of my numbers have been in the normal
    >>range.
    >>I am getting one hypo about every other day. It is extremely difficult to
    >>control blood sugar when you have gastroparesis because you do not digest
    >>your food the way that you should.
    >>
    >>Mostly I have to eat easy to digest foods. And potatoes are in there. I
    >>do
    >>not watch the fat content of my food because what I naturally prefer is
    >>low
    >>to no fat. Because of this the dieticians I have seen have urged me to
    >>add
    >>fat to my diet. So eating hash browns or French fries once in a while is
    >>not a problem.

    >
    > So basically the gastroparesis protects you against high GI foods
    > and blood sugar spikes/crashes?


    Well, no. Not really. But if I eat something like a big salad, I usually
    wind up throwing it up. Then I have no food in my system and for me I will
    then either go too low or too high. I also find if I don't eat enough carbs
    I go too high. Too many carbs? I go too high. If I eat something like
    say...roast beef which may or may not come back up...the food stays in my
    system too long. And when it does that, I get high BG. So I have to eat
    easy to digest things which at least will go through me and my BG seems more
    stable.

    Since daughter has gone on the South beach diet I have switched from eating
    white rice and white bread on a regular basis to brown rice and whole wheat
    bread. So far, so good. Those foods used to spike me. I do still eat
    white rice and maybe just some applesauce when my stomach is acting up.

    > I have enough gastroparesis (evidenced by other symptoms) that I cannot


    Sorry to hear that. It is just no fun. One thing that is weird about me is
    that my HbA1c seems to be abnormally high. My daily blood sugar readings
    get better and better but the HbA1c gets much higher and shows a higher
    average. I have had additional tests to rule out a rare blood disorder that
    runs in the family. And I did have anemia which can affect the HbA1c. Will
    be interesting to see how the next one comes out.



  15. #55
    Julie Bove Guest

    Default Re: Using up what you have.


    "Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > On Fri, 5 Oct 2012 22:38:13 -0700, "Julie Bove"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>
    >>"Ed Pawlowski" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected] ..
    >>> On Fri, 5 Oct 2012 07:58:10 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
    >>> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>I not only avoid overstocking, but I also get a laugh out of that ad
    >>>>which
    >>>>says Americans throw out 500 dollars worth of food a year.
    >>>> I sure don't. I use leftovers the next day, use green bags, keep a
    >>>> freezer inventory etc. I doubt if I throw 20 bucks worth away a year.
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> Same here, but I do know people that toss that much and probably
    >>> more. I know people that will cook a 14 pound turkey and not eat any
    >>> leftovers. In our house, not only do we have the turkey for a couple
    >>> of meals, the carcass becomes a base for soup. Of 20 working days a
    >>> month, about 19 of my lunches are leftovers.
    >>>
    >>> Even when I don't have anything to take for lunch, the frozen meals in
    >>> the freezer at work are when Stouffers is on sale 4 for $10.
    >>>
    >>> Coupons are a PITA, but I do pay attention to what is on sale.
    >>> Yesterday, I picked up 8 items at the supermarket, 7 were on sale.
    >>>
    >>> We shop at BJ's too, but you have to use care. I won't buy the huge
    >>> jars of peanut butter or mayo since they would hang around too long.

    >>
    >>Today I bought very little food. I did buy soda because it was on sale
    >>for
    >>a good price

    >
    > Soda is NOT food.


    True but it is in my grocery budget.



  16. #56
    Judy Haffner Guest

    Default Re: Using up what you have.


    Julie Bove wrote:

    >I don't have any kids. Just a teen who
    > can only eat sweet potatoes and not the
    > regular kind. And I can't eat cheese.


    I don't mean to be picking on you, as goodness knows, you get enough of
    that in here, but you really ARE your own worst enemy, IMO.

    I have to ask you WHY on earth would you buy frozen potatoes if NOBODY
    else in your house will eat them besides you?! Apparently you will only
    eat them, IF served plain, and WHY are you asking for suggestions, only
    to come back and say "thanks, but no thanks"...because you, or daughter,
    DH, etc. can't/won't eat them fixed that way. What kind of suggestions
    were you hoping for?

    How long have you had them in the freezer anyway? Why don't you throw
    them out for the wild birds, and quit worrying about them. That sure
    would solve the problem, as seems like nobody here can really help you.

    Judy


  17. #57
    Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds Guest

    Default Re: Using up what you have.

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Julie Bove" wrote in message news:k4lgm7$91k$[email protected]..
    >
    >
    > "Pico Rico" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:k4lgd6$fie$[email protected]..
    > >
    > > "Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]..
    > >> In article <k4ldjl$sg1$[email protected]>, "Julie Bove"
    > >> <[email protected]>
    > >> wrote:
    > >>
    > >>> I don't have any kids. Just a teen who can only eat sweet potatoes and
    > >>> not
    > >>> the regular kind. And I can't eat cheese.
    > >>
    > >> strange that her teenager isn't her kid

    > >
    > >
    > > goats will eat anything. Her teen definitely won't.

    >
    > *sigh* She is on the South Beach diet and I don't know anyone with goats.
    >
    > ********************
    > Whooosh! A "kid" is a young goat.
    >
    > Jill


    it would have been a good pun if she had stopped there, but does anyone think
    julie has a sense of humor?

  18. #58
    Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds Guest

    Default Re: Using up what you have.

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > >>> I don't have any kids. Just a teen who can only eat sweet potatoes
    > > >>> and
    > > >>> not
    > > >>> the regular kind. And I can't eat cheese.
    > > >>
    > > >> strange that her teenager isn't her kid
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > goats will eat anything. Her teen definitely won't.

    > >
    > > *sigh* She is on the South Beach diet and I don't know anyone with goats.

    >
    > yeh, like there are no ethnic restaurants or groceries in her area
    > *****************
    > She sure did let that goat/kid reference fly right over her head. LOL
    >
    > You say that like *every* town in the US has an ethnic grocery store. Got
    > news for you, that's not necessarily the case. (Same goes for farmer's
    > markets.)


    I didn't say "every" town, I said her area and since she lives in an area with
    enough population to support a Costco a Winco a TJs and she is near a large
    military base, I doubt that there isn't some ethnic grocery store or restaurant
    available to her. In fact if she wanted it, she could probably ask the vet at
    the commissary to order some and they would probably comply

  19. #59
    Julie Bove Guest

    Default Re: Using up what you have.


    "Judy Haffner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    >
    > Julie Bove wrote:
    >
    >>I don't have any kids. Just a teen who
    >> can only eat sweet potatoes and not the
    >> regular kind. And I can't eat cheese.

    >
    > I don't mean to be picking on you, as goodness knows, you get enough of
    > that in here, but you really ARE your own worst enemy, IMO.
    >
    > I have to ask you WHY on earth would you buy frozen potatoes if NOBODY
    > else in your house will eat them besides you?! Apparently you will only
    > eat them, IF served plain, and WHY are you asking for suggestions, only
    > to come back and say "thanks, but no thanks"...because you, or daughter,
    > DH, etc. can't/won't eat them fixed that way. What kind of suggestions
    > were you hoping for?
    >

    Apparently you don't read my posts. At the time that I bought them,
    *everybody* was eating them. Then daughter was put on a low carb diet by
    her Dr. She was eating some but not a lot. Then another Dr. put her on the
    South Beach diet and on that diet, regular potatoes are not allowed.

    Where did I ask for suggestions? I didn't. I merely stated what we would
    be using up and asked if anyone else had anything they needed to use up this
    week. We don't always have this situation here but now we do. And if I do
    wind up throwing them out it is really no big deal because they were either
    free of very cheap. At the time that I got them, I had a ton of high value
    coupons from various companies.

    > How long have you had them in the freezer anyway? Why don't you throw
    > them out for the wild birds, and quit worrying about them. That sure
    > would solve the problem, as seems like nobody here can really help you.


    Why in the world do you think I am worrying about them? I don't tend to
    worry about *anything*! I was merely trying to make an on topic post
    because there are so few of these here.

    I have had them since last summer (2011), probably July or August. They're
    still good till Nov. or Dec.

    AFAIK, wild birds don't eat potatoes and even if they did, I would be a fool
    to feed them. Terminex came yesterday and there is still Norway Rat
    activity in the area. I am not supposed to put food out for any animal.



  20. #60
    David Harmon Guest

    Default Re: Using up what you have.

    On Fri, 5 Oct 2012 17:14:59 -0700 (PDT) in rec.food.cooking, merryb
    <[email protected]> wrote,
    >
    >You are what you eat...


    There was this commercial on TV for El Pollo Loco.
    And this macho tough looking guy says "I am what I eat."

    And I think, what you are saying is that you are ... Chicken?


Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32