Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 73

Thread: Using up what you have.

  1. #21
    Kalmia Guest

    Default Re: Using up what you have.

    No - I never overstock, and couponing is a royal pain, not to mention that it doesn't really save you anything if you are stocking up on junk food you'll never get thru. About the only coupons I ever cut are for Tabasco and a certain brand of t.t. I'm gonna buy this stuff anyway, so that's my ruleof dumb on clipping coupons.

    I not only avoid overstocking, but I also get a laugh out of that ad which says Americans throw out 500 dollars worth of food a year. I sure don't. I use leftovers the next day, use green bags, keep a freezer inventory etc.I doubt if I throw 20 bucks worth away a year.



  2. #22
    Julie Bove Guest

    Default Re: Using up what you have.


    "The Cook" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > On Thu, 4 Oct 2012 17:51:37 -0700, "Julie Bove"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>I am making a big effort to do this at the moment and thanks to attempting
    >>but rather failing trying to be an Extreme couponer, I do have quite a bit
    >>in my larder. But some of it needs to be used up right away.
    >>
    >>I do have some frozen French fries and Tater Tots. Aside from a Tater Tot
    >>type of casserole, I don't know what use those will have. Except to eat
    >>them as is. I may end up tossing some of those because I am the only one
    >>who currently eats them.
    >>
    >>I do have a large bag of hash browns to use up. And in case any of you
    >>are
    >>wondering why I would get such things and not make them from scratch,
    >>well... I don't mind using them for one thing and I got them for free or
    >>very cheap using coupons. I intend to use those to make something similar
    >>to O'Brien potatoes except that they won't be cubes. I have plenty of
    >>bacon
    >>and onions and I do have some red and green peppers. So I will mix those
    >>things up and they will be dinner.
    >>
    >>I am hoping that Winco will still have a good price on bell peppers so I
    >>will be getting some more of those and some ground beef and make some
    >>unstuffed peppers. I have never tried this before. Basically make like
    >>you
    >>would stuffed peppers but you cut the peppers in bite sized pieces and mix
    >>with your meat, tomato sauce, rice (if you are using it) and seasonings.
    >>I
    >>figure I will have a better shot at getting daughter to eat the peppers if
    >>I
    >>do it this way. Normally both she and my husband scoop all of their
    >>stuffing out and put their peppers on my plate because they don't like to
    >>eat them like that. I do have plenty of rice in the cupboard.
    >>
    >>Looks like the beans are going to have to wait another week unless I just
    >>cook up a small amount of plain ones.
    >>
    >>Do you have anything like that you are going to use up this week? Maybe
    >>because you have a lot of it? Or because it's getting rather old?
    >>

    >
    > Extreme couponing is for the birds. We stopped getting the Sunday
    > paper that has all of the coupons in it. I doubt that we have
    > increased our grocery bill by more than $5. We do check the store ads
    > in the local papers and I am signed up with our favorite grocery and
    > get an email each Sunday listing of the things that are on special the
    > coming week that we buy frequently.


    Yes. I am thinking of canceling my paper. But it's a tossup. Costs me
    $2.95 per month to get it. I am sure I do use enough coupons to warrant
    that and I perhaps make a dollar or two. Sometimes more. But there is no
    way I can do like the people on that show, mainly because they were cheating
    and doing things like using bogus coupons.

    The best coupons come straight from the manufacturer but you can only write
    to them so often to get them. I have gotten high value and free things that
    way. But for the most part, coupons are for things that we do not even use.
    I do use some for cat treats, once in a while cat food or litter, some
    cosmetics and cleaning products. Not so much for food.
    >
    > The big problem trying to "coupon" is that you end up with more than
    > you can use before it is out of date or spoils. Then you have wasted
    > money that would have bought what you needed at regular price when you
    > needed it. And unless you have very accessible storage some of the
    > stuff will get lost and/or forgotten.


    Yes. I find that I do well at Costco, although they have a limited
    selection. I do have a garage where I can store the paper products and I
    can put things like cans and jars out there. But after we got that rat in
    there we can no longer keep cereal or stuff like that. The potato products
    were just stupid on my part. I got that freezer and was like... What can I
    fill it with? I saw the big bags of potatoes for cheap and grabbed them up,
    never stopping to think that we rarely eat those things.

    I have seen the big stockpiles of mustard, Frank's Red hot sauce, BBQ sauce
    and stuff like that. How much of that stuff can those people eat? They get
    it just because it's free! I will get free stuff and give it to the food
    bank but I do try to get them usable things. Not that those things aren't
    usable. But if I were needy I would much rather have a can of soup or chili
    than some mustard!

    > If you really want to buy in large quantities, be sure to go through
    > everything about twice a year and plan meals with all of the things
    > are nearing expiration. And keep the oldest in the front or on top.


    I do try to do that. But the freezer got a little bad. Mostly because of
    its design. Some things sneaked their way to the bottom.
    >
    > Of course all of that goes out the window when the spouse decides to
    > buy some groceries and puts them away newest in front and on top.


    That happens too. I have gotten my daughter into the habit of checking the
    expiration dates and putting the old food in the back or on the bottom. We
    can not go by the fact that the new food is newer because it isn't always.
    But once in a while she will be in a hurry and just sort of toss things in
    there. And then there are the weird things that she or husband sees. Or
    even occasionally me. We'll see something that looks like a good idea at
    the time but nobody eats it.

    Or there is the thing that has happened here in the past few weeks. I plan
    to make certain foods but somebody gets sick and is unable to eat that so I
    have to change the menu. And then I might wind up tossing something. Like
    that big bag of salad that we were going to eat this week. We did eat a
    little bit. Just couldn't eat it all.



  3. #23
    Nancy Young Guest

    Default Re: Using up what you have.

    On 10/5/2012 10:35 AM, The Cook wrote:

    > Extreme couponing is for the birds. We stopped getting the Sunday
    > paper that has all of the coupons in it. I doubt that we have
    > increased our grocery bill by more than $5. We do check the store ads
    > in the local papers and I am signed up with our favorite grocery and
    > get an email each Sunday listing of the things that are on special the
    > coming week that we buy frequently.


    Same here. It's why I like to stock up, so I don't have to continually
    look for a sale. Certain items are jacked way up if they aren't on
    sale.

    > The big problem trying to "coupon" is that you end up with more than
    > you can use before it is out of date or spoils. Then you have wasted
    > money that would have bought what you needed at regular price when you
    > needed it. And unless you have very accessible storage some of the
    > stuff will get lost and/or forgotten.


    My problem with couponing is that the vast majority of the ones
    I see aren't useful to me. I do that Troopon thing, so I do go through
    all the inserts. I might keep one or two coupons for myself. Maybe.
    The rest are not for anything I use.

    It might be different if I had kids, of course.

    > If you really want to buy in large quantities, be sure to go through
    > everything about twice a year and plan meals with all of the things
    > are nearing expiration. And keep the oldest in the front or on top.
    >
    > Of course all of that goes out the window when the spouse decides to
    > buy some groceries and puts them away newest in front and on top.


    I hear ya, loud and clear. And you don't want to be that anal-retentive
    nag that's always going on about You put the canned tomatoes in the
    wrong place again! (laugh)

    nancy


  4. #24
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: Using up what you have.

    On Fri, 5 Oct 2012 07:58:10 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >No - I never overstock, and couponing is a royal pain, not to mention that it doesn't really save you anything if you are stocking up on junk food you'll never get thru. About the only coupons I ever cut are for Tabasco and a certain brand of t.t. I'm gonna buy this stuff anyway, so that's my rule of dumb on clipping coupons.
    >
    >I not only avoid overstocking, but I also get a laugh out of that ad which says Americans throw out 500 dollars worth of food a year. I sure don't. I use leftovers the next day, use green bags, keep a freezer inventory etc. I doubt if I throw 20 bucks worth away a year.


    Other than for cat stuff I have rarely seen a coupon for a product I
    use. I don't bother looking for coupons, for cat products I print
    from their web sites, and many I get by snail mail by registering at
    their web site, I get free samples too. For many foods, like frozen
    pizza, the best coupons can be printed from their web sites. With
    many of the national brand foods if you phone their toll free number
    and compliment their product they will send you coupons for free
    products... I've gotten enough coupons for free Hellman's mayo to last
    the rest of my life, and they keep coming... and all I did was call to
    complain about their inner lid seal being difficult to remove.

  5. #25
    Kalmia Guest

    Default Re: Using up what you have.

    On Friday, October 5, 2012 12:19:41 PM UTC-4, Brooklyn1 wrote:
    > On Fri, 5 Oct 2012 07:58:10 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
    >
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    > >No - I never overstock, and couponing is a royal pain, not to mention that it doesn't really save you anything if you are stocking up on junk food you'll never get thru. About the only coupons I ever cut are for Tabasco and a certain brand of t.t. I'm gonna buy this stuff anyway, so that's my rule of dumb on clipping coupons.

    >
    > >

    >
    > >I not only avoid overstocking, but I also get a laugh out of that ad which says Americans throw out 500 dollars worth of food a year. I sure don't.. I use leftovers the next day, use green bags, keep a freezer inventory etc. I doubt if I throw 20 bucks worth away a year.

    >
    >
    >
    > Other than for cat stuff I have rarely seen a coupon for a product I
    >
    > use. I don't bother looking for coupons, for cat products I print
    >
    > from their web sites, and many I get by snail mail by registering at
    >
    > their web site, I get free samples too. For many foods, like frozen
    >
    > pizza, the best coupons can be printed from their web sites. With
    >
    > many of the national brand foods if you phone their toll free number
    >
    > and compliment their product they will send you coupons for free
    >
    > products... I've gotten enough coupons for free Hellman's mayo to last
    >
    > the rest of my life, and they keep coming... and all I did was call to
    >
    > complain about their inner lid seal being difficult to remove.


    Gee, can I sendja my address? Are they good for any type of Hellman's?
    I never saw a coupon for the cat stuff I bought. But, my furbaby is gone and I have no longer any need. I know you love cats, so you can understand the sorrow and guilt. I can't start a thread on it - just bury it in here and let it go at that. He was wonderful and we shared 13 plus years of funand affection. I'm going to do some shelter vol. hours which help a bit.








  6. #26
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: Using up what you have.

    Kalmia wrote:
    >Brooklyn1 wrote:
    >> Kalmia wrote:
    >>
    >> >No - I never overstock, and couponing is a royal pain, not to mention
    >> >that it doesn't really save you anything if you are stocking up on junk food
    >> >you'll never get thru. About the only coupons I ever cut are for Tabasco
    >> >and a certain brand of t.t. I'm gonna buy this stuff anyway, so that's my
    >> >rule of dumb on clipping coupons.
    >> >I not only avoid overstocking, but I also get a laugh out of that ad which says
    >> >Americans throw out 500 dollars worth of food a year. I sure don't. I use
    >> >leftovers the next day, use green bags, keep a freezer inventory etc. I doubt
    >> >if I throw 20 bucks worth away a year.

    >>
    >> Other than for cat stuff I have rarely seen a coupon for a product I
    >> use. I don't bother looking for coupons, for cat products I print
    >> from their web sites, and many I get by snail mail by registering at
    >> their web site, I get free samples too. For many foods, like frozen
    >> pizza, the best coupons can be printed from their web sites. With
    >> many of the national brand foods if you phone their toll free number
    >> and compliment their product they will send you coupons for free
    >> products... I've gotten enough coupons for free Hellman's mayo to last
    >> the rest of my life, and they keep coming... and all I did was call to
    >> complain about their inner lid seal being difficult to remove.

    >
    >Gee, can I sendja my address? Are they good for any type of Hellman's?
    >I never saw a coupon for the cat stuff I bought. But, my furbaby is gone
    >and I have no longer any need. I know you love cats, so you can understand
    >the sorrow and guilt. I can't start a thread on it - just bury it in here and
    >let it go at that. He was wonderful and we shared 13 plus years of fun and
    >affection. I'm going to do some shelter vol. hours which help a bit.


    Better yet give another furbaby a home.

  7. #27
    billn Guest

    Default Re: Using up what you have.


    "Kalmia" wrote:
    On Friday, October 5, 2012 12:19:41 PM UTC-4, Brooklyn1 wrote:
    > On Fri, 5 Oct 2012 07:58:10 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
    >
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    > >No - I never overstock, and couponing is a royal pain, not to mention
    > >that it doesn't really save you anything if you are stocking up on junk
    > >food you'll never get thru. About the only coupons I ever cut are for
    > >Tabasco and a certain brand of t.t. I'm gonna buy this stuff anyway, so
    > >that's my rule of dumb on clipping coupons.

    >
    > >

    >
    > >I not only avoid overstocking, but I also get a laugh out of that ad
    > >which says Americans throw out 500 dollars worth of food a year. I sure
    > >don't. I use leftovers the next day, use green bags, keep a freezer
    > >inventory etc. I doubt if I throw 20 bucks worth away a year.

    >
    >
    >
    > Other than for cat stuff I have rarely seen a coupon for a product I
    >
    > use. I don't bother looking for coupons, for cat products I print
    >
    > from their web sites, and many I get by snail mail by registering at
    >
    > their web site, I get free samples too. For many foods, like frozen
    >
    > pizza, the best coupons can be printed from their web sites. With
    >
    > many of the national brand foods if you phone their toll free number
    >
    > and compliment their product they will send you coupons for free
    >
    > products... I've gotten enough coupons for free Hellman's mayo to last
    >
    > the rest of my life, and they keep coming... and all I did was call to
    >
    > complain about their inner lid seal being difficult to remove.


    Gee, can I sendja my address? Are they good for any type of Hellman's?
    I never saw a coupon for the cat stuff I bought. But, my furbaby is gone
    and I have no longer any need. I know you love cats, so you can understand
    the sorrow and guilt. I can't start a thread on it - just bury it in here
    and let it go at that. He was wonderful and we shared 13 plus years of fun
    and affection. I'm going to do some shelter vol. hours which help a bit.

    ------------------------------

    So sorry to hear that, Kalmia. I remember the last time we talked about him
    wanting to go in and out of the house earlier last summer.

    I lost my little girl-cat September 1, so I know how you're feeling. She
    was 12.5 years old. Still have her big brother, but we miss her terribly.

    Take care,

    bill_n







  8. #28
    zxcvbob Guest

    Default Re: Using up what you have.

    Julie Bove wrote:
    > I have seen the big stockpiles of mustard, Frank's Red hot sauce, BBQ sauce
    > and stuff like that. How much of that stuff can those people eat? They get
    > it just because it's free! I will get free stuff and give it to the food
    > bank but I do try to get them usable things. Not that those things aren't
    > usable. But if I were needy I would much rather have a can of soup or chili
    > than some mustard!
    >



    I'm still working on a gallon of pickle relish I bought 5 years ago.
    (maybe someday I will learn my lesson) I keep it in the little dorm
    fridge in the basement, with the beer and soda pop, and transfer it to a
    small jar in the main fridge as we use it.

    I should check if it will fit in a quart canning jar yet...

    Bob

  9. #29
    Steve Freides Guest

    Default Re: Using up what you have.

    Julie Bove wrote:

    > "Steve Freides" <[email protected]> wrote in message


    >> You could also make hash.


    > Yeah but I have the hash browns.


    You can put hash browns in hash.

    -S-



  10. #30
    The Cook Guest

    Default Re: Using up what you have.

    On Fri, 05 Oct 2012 11:08:45 -0400, Nancy Young
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On 10/5/2012 10:35 AM, The Cook wrote:
    >
    >> Extreme couponing is for the birds. We stopped getting the Sunday
    >> paper that has all of the coupons in it. I doubt that we have
    >> increased our grocery bill by more than $5. We do check the store ads
    >> in the local papers and I am signed up with our favorite grocery and
    >> get an email each Sunday listing of the things that are on special the
    >> coming week that we buy frequently.

    >
    >Same here. It's why I like to stock up, so I don't have to continually
    >look for a sale. Certain items are jacked way up if they aren't on
    >sale.
    >
    >> The big problem trying to "coupon" is that you end up with more than
    >> you can use before it is out of date or spoils. Then you have wasted
    >> money that would have bought what you needed at regular price when you
    >> needed it. And unless you have very accessible storage some of the
    >> stuff will get lost and/or forgotten.

    >
    >My problem with couponing is that the vast majority of the ones
    >I see aren't useful to me. I do that Troopon thing, so I do go through
    >all the inserts. I might keep one or two coupons for myself. Maybe.
    >The rest are not for anything I use.
    >
    >It might be different if I had kids, of course.
    >
    >> If you really want to buy in large quantities, be sure to go through
    >> everything about twice a year and plan meals with all of the things
    >> are nearing expiration. And keep the oldest in the front or on top.
    >>
    >> Of course all of that goes out the window when the spouse decides to
    >> buy some groceries and puts them away newest in front and on top.

    >
    >I hear ya, loud and clear. And you don't want to be that anal-retentive
    >nag that's always going on about You put the canned tomatoes in the
    >wrong place again! (laugh)
    >
    >nancy


    I probably would but I know that it does absolutely no good.
    --
    Susan N.

    "Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral,
    48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
    Vittorio De Sica, Italian movie director (1901-1974)

  11. #31
    MaryL Guest

    Default Re: Using up what you have.



    "Julie Bove" wrote in message news:k4lau2$gta$[email protected]..

    I am making a big effort to do this at the moment and thanks to attempting
    but rather failing trying to be an Extreme couponer, I do have quite a bit
    in my larder. But some of it needs to be used up right away.

    I do have some frozen French fries and Tater Tots. Aside from a Tater Tot
    type of casserole, I don't know what use those will have. Except to eat
    them as is. I may end up tossing some of those because I am the only one
    who currently eats them.

    I do have a large bag of hash browns to use up. And in case any of you are
    wondering why I would get such things and not make them from scratch,
    well... I don't mind using them for one thing and I got them for free or
    very cheap using coupons. I intend to use those to make something similar
    to O'Brien potatoes except that they won't be cubes. I have plenty of bacon
    and onions and I do have some red and green peppers. So I will mix those
    things up and they will be dinner.

    I am hoping that Winco will still have a good price on bell peppers so I
    will be getting some more of those and some ground beef and make some
    unstuffed peppers. I have never tried this before. Basically make like you
    would stuffed peppers but you cut the peppers in bite sized pieces and mix
    with your meat, tomato sauce, rice (if you are using it) and seasonings. I
    figure I will have a better shot at getting daughter to eat the peppers if I
    do it this way. Normally both she and my husband scoop all of their
    stuffing out and put their peppers on my plate because they don't like to
    eat them like that. I do have plenty of rice in the cupboard.

    Looks like the beans are going to have to wait another week unless I just
    cook up a small amount of plain ones.

    Do you have anything like that you are going to use up this week? Maybe
    because you have a lot of it? Or because it's getting rather old?

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    You did not ask for this type of advice, but I would like to make a
    suggestion. The type of prepared food you mentioned here are among the
    *worst* items for a diabetic. I do realize that you are very limited in
    what you can eat, but I would suggest that you should not even consider
    getting these items for yourself--even if they are free or very cheap. Yes,
    it is wasteful to throw out good food, but it is even worse to eat food like
    that when you are facing the problems of a diabetic. When I was first
    diagnosed T2, I completely emptied my pantry of everything I should not eat
    and gave everything to a food pantry. I have not replaced them. Of course,
    you can't do that with frozen food. You will need to keep certain foods for
    Angela and your husband even if you can't eat them, but it is difficult to
    stick to a healthy diet if your pantry and fridge are loaded with food that
    you should not eat.

    MaryL


  12. #32
    Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds Guest

    Default Re: Using up what you have.

    In article <k4lgm7$91k$[email protected]>, "Julie Bove" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > "Pico Rico" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:k4lgd6$fie$[email protected]..
    > >
    > > "Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]..
    > >> In article <k4ldjl$sg1$[email protected]>, "Julie Bove"
    > >> <[email protected]>
    > >> wrote:
    > >>
    > >>> I don't have any kids. Just a teen who can only eat sweet potatoes and
    > >>> not
    > >>> the regular kind. And I can't eat cheese.
    > >>
    > >> strange that her teenager isn't her kid

    > >
    > >
    > > goats will eat anything. Her teen definitely won't.

    >
    > *sigh* She is on the South Beach diet and I don't know anyone with goats.


    yeh, like there are no ethnic restaurants or groceries in her area

  13. #33
    ImStillMags Guest

    Default Re: Using up what you have.

    On Oct 5, 12:45*pm, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" <atlas-
    bug...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
    > In article <k4lgm7$91...@dont-email.me>, "Julie Bove" <julieb...@frontier..com>
    > wrote:
    >


    You know........ just because there is a coupon for it and just
    because it is on the grocery shelves......doesn't mean you HAVE to buy
    it.

    When will people stop being brainwashed by advertising?

    Don't buy all that processed crap, it's BAD for you. In the long run
    it is MORE expensive simply because you buy it and either don't use it
    or don't use it up before it goes bad (but with all the preservatives
    in some of that stuff it will still be here long after the planet
    dies).

    Here's a suggestion. Eat fresh fruits and vegetables, preferably
    organic or pesticide free and non GMO. Eat clean
    pastured beef, pork and chicken, wild caught fish and pastured
    eggs.

    Stay completely away from packaged foods as much as possible.

    You will live a healthier, happier life and spend way less money on
    junk.



  14. #34
    Julie Bove Guest

    Default Re: Using up what you have.

    Kalmia wrote:
    > No - I never overstock, and couponing is a royal pain, not to mention
    > that it doesn't really save you anything if you are stocking up on
    > junk food you'll never get thru. About the only coupons I ever cut
    > are for Tabasco and a certain brand of t.t. I'm gonna buy this stuff
    > anyway, so that's my rule of dumb on clipping coupons.


    We don't eat junk food.

    > I not only avoid overstocking, but I also get a laugh out of that ad
    > which says Americans throw out 500 dollars worth of food a year. I
    > sure don't. I use leftovers the next day, use green bags, keep a
    > freezer inventory etc. I doubt if I throw 20 bucks worth away a
    > year.


    Well I don't know what it's like where you're at but here we can get snowed
    in for a week or more at a time. So during the winter it is necessary to
    keep extra food. I also try to stock up on the non-perishables when they
    are on sale. Or buy some things at Costco where they are cheaper but you
    have to buy a large amount.

    Our current situation required me to stock up on extra food because we
    didn't know when the next paycheck would come in or how much it would be.
    And we still don't for sure. So we have plenty of beans, rice, pasta, and
    other non-perishable things. Yes, I do have to buy some fresh food each
    week. But if we really had to, we could eat off of what we had and we would
    be fine.

    I do not have time to go shopping every day. Yes, I could do that at the
    Albertsons near the dance studio but by shopping only there, I would not
    necessarily be getting the best prices or getting what I need. We generally
    spread the bulk of our weekly shopping between 3 different stores and that's
    not one of them. And there are still other stores that I have to shop at.
    For instance to get turkey broth concentrate, I can only get it at three
    stores and they are not the ones I normally shop at. And their prices are
    higher. But they are necessary to go to sometimes.

    I don't know how much food Americans throw away. I do know a very common
    scenario in our house and my friend's house. Someone will decide that they
    really, really like something. Say... Yogurt. So they are eating it every
    day and you wind up stocking up on it when it goes on sale. Then all of a
    sudden they are sick of it and never want to eat it again. And nobody else
    in the house likes it. So out it goes. If this happens here with a
    non-perishable, I will just give it to the food bank. But if it is
    something like yogurt, they won't take it and I don't know anyone else who
    will.



  15. #35
    Julie Bove Guest

    Default Re: Using up what you have.

    Brooklyn1 wrote:
    > On Fri, 5 Oct 2012 07:58:10 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> No - I never overstock, and couponing is a royal pain, not to
    >> mention that it doesn't really save you anything if you are stocking
    >> up on junk food you'll never get thru. About the only coupons I
    >> ever cut are for Tabasco and a certain brand of t.t. I'm gonna buy
    >> this stuff anyway, so that's my rule of dumb on clipping coupons.
    >>
    >> I not only avoid overstocking, but I also get a laugh out of that ad
    >> which says Americans throw out 500 dollars worth of food a year. I
    >> sure don't. I use leftovers the next day, use green bags, keep a
    >> freezer inventory etc. I doubt if I throw 20 bucks worth away a
    >> year.

    >
    > Other than for cat stuff I have rarely seen a coupon for a product I
    > use. I don't bother looking for coupons, for cat products I print
    > from their web sites, and many I get by snail mail by registering at
    > their web site, I get free samples too. For many foods, like frozen
    > pizza, the best coupons can be printed from their web sites. With
    > many of the national brand foods if you phone their toll free number
    > and compliment their product they will send you coupons for free
    > products... I've gotten enough coupons for free Hellman's mayo to last
    > the rest of my life, and they keep coming... and all I did was call to
    > complain about their inner lid seal being difficult to remove.


    Yes. Compliments or complaints get you coupons. Daughter made a list of
    everything we eat or use and I wrote to the companies. But I wasn't
    necessarily able to use all of those coupons before the expired. The
    problem? We already had all of that stuff and in some cases quite a lot of
    it.



  16. #36
    Julie Bove Guest

    Default Re: Using up what you have.

    zxcvbob wrote:
    > Julie Bove wrote:
    >> I have seen the big stockpiles of mustard, Frank's Red hot sauce,
    >> BBQ sauce and stuff like that. How much of that stuff can those
    >> people eat? They get it just because it's free! I will get free
    >> stuff and give it to the food bank but I do try to get them usable
    >> things. Not that those things aren't usable. But if I were needy I
    >> would much rather have a can of soup or chili than some mustard!
    >>

    >
    >
    > I'm still working on a gallon of pickle relish I bought 5 years ago.
    > (maybe someday I will learn my lesson) I keep it in the little dorm
    > fridge in the basement, with the beer and soda pop, and transfer it
    > to a small jar in the main fridge as we use it.
    >
    > I should check if it will fit in a quart canning jar yet...
    >
    > Bob


    Oh wow! I don't think we would ever go through a gallon of anything!



  17. #37
    Julie Bove Guest

    Default Re: Using up what you have.

    Steve Freides wrote:
    > Julie Bove wrote:
    >
    >> "Steve Freides" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    >
    >>> You could also make hash.

    >
    >> Yeah but I have the hash browns.

    >
    > You can put hash browns in hash.


    Well yes. I said I was going to make it with onions, peppers and bacon.



  18. #38
    Julie Bove Guest

    Default Re: Using up what you have.

    MaryL wrote:
    > "Julie Bove" wrote in message news:k4lau2$gta$[email protected]..
    >
    > I am making a big effort to do this at the moment and thanks to
    > attempting but rather failing trying to be an Extreme couponer, I do
    > have quite a bit in my larder. But some of it needs to be used up
    > right away.
    > I do have some frozen French fries and Tater Tots. Aside from a
    > Tater Tot type of casserole, I don't know what use those will have. Except
    > to eat them as is. I may end up tossing some of those because
    > I am the only one who currently eats them.
    >
    > I do have a large bag of hash browns to use up. And in case any of
    > you are wondering why I would get such things and not make them from
    > scratch, well... I don't mind using them for one thing and I got
    > them for free or very cheap using coupons. I intend to use those to
    > make something similar to O'Brien potatoes except that they won't be
    > cubes. I have plenty of bacon and onions and I do have some red and
    > green peppers. So I will mix those things up and they will be dinner.
    >
    > I am hoping that Winco will still have a good price on bell peppers
    > so I will be getting some more of those and some ground beef and make
    > some unstuffed peppers. I have never tried this before. Basically
    > make like you would stuffed peppers but you cut the peppers in bite
    > sized pieces and mix with your meat, tomato sauce, rice (if you are
    > using it) and seasonings. I figure I will have a better shot at
    > getting daughter to eat the peppers if I do it this way. Normally
    > both she and my husband scoop all of their stuffing out and put their
    > peppers on my plate because they don't like to eat them like that. I
    > do have plenty of rice in the cupboard.
    > Looks like the beans are going to have to wait another week unless I
    > just cook up a small amount of plain ones.
    >
    > Do you have anything like that you are going to use up this week? Maybe
    > because you have a lot of it? Or because it's getting rather
    > old?
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    > You did not ask for this type of advice, but I would like to make a
    > suggestion. The type of prepared food you mentioned here are among
    > the *worst* items for a diabetic. I do realize that you are very
    > limited in what you can eat, but I would suggest that you should not
    > even consider getting these items for yourself--even if they are free
    > or very cheap. Yes, it is wasteful to throw out good food, but it is
    > even worse to eat food like that when you are facing the problems of
    > a diabetic. When I was first diagnosed T2, I completely emptied my
    > pantry of everything I should not eat and gave everything to a food
    > pantry. I have not replaced them. Of course, you can't do that with
    > frozen food. You will need to keep certain foods for Angela and your
    > husband even if you can't eat them, but it is difficult to stick to a
    > healthy diet if your pantry and fridge are loaded with food that you
    > should not eat.


    But that is exactly what I *have* to eat. I also have gastroparesis. A low
    carb diet does not work for me. It pushes my blood sugar up to over 300 and
    it stays there. Aside from my almost 500 number a couple of weeks ago due
    to the stress (I think) of my screwed up insulin prescription, the saga of
    which still continues... Most of my numbers have been in the normal range.
    I am getting one hypo about every other day. It is extremely difficult to
    control blood sugar when you have gastroparesis because you do not digest
    your food the way that you should.

    Mostly I have to eat easy to digest foods. And potatoes are in there. I do
    not watch the fat content of my food because what I naturally prefer is low
    to no fat. Because of this the dieticians I have seen have urged me to add
    fat to my diet. So eating hash browns or French fries once in a while is
    not a problem.



  19. #39
    jmcquown Guest

    Default Re: Using up what you have.

    "Brooklyn1" wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..

    Kalmia wrote:
    >Brooklyn1 wrote:
    >> Kalmia wrote:
    >>
    >> >No - I never overstock, and couponing is a royal pain, not to mention
    >> >that it doesn't really save you anything if you are stocking up on junk
    >> >food
    >> >you'll never get thru. About the only coupons I ever cut are for
    >> >Tabasco
    >> >and a certain brand of t.t. I'm gonna buy this stuff anyway, so that's
    >> >my
    >> >rule of dumb on clipping coupons.
    >> >I not only avoid overstocking, but I also get a laugh out of that ad
    >> >which says
    >> >Americans throw out 500 dollars worth of food a year. I sure don't. I
    >> >use
    >> >leftovers the next day, use green bags, keep a freezer inventory etc. I
    >> >doubt
    >> >if I throw 20 bucks worth away a year.

    >>
    >> Other than for cat stuff I have rarely seen a coupon for a product I
    >> use. I don't bother looking for coupons, for cat products I print
    >> from their web sites, and many I get by snail mail by registering at
    >> their web site, I get free samples too. For many foods, like frozen
    >> pizza, the best coupons can be printed from their web sites. With
    >> many of the national brand foods if you phone their toll free number
    >> and compliment their product they will send you coupons for free
    >> products... I've gotten enough coupons for free Hellman's mayo to last
    >> the rest of my life, and they keep coming... and all I did was call to
    >> complain about their inner lid seal being difficult to remove.

    >
    >Gee, can I sendja my address? Are they good for any type of Hellman's?
    >I never saw a coupon for the cat stuff I bought. But, my furbaby is gone
    >and I have no longer any need. I know you love cats, so you can understand
    >the sorrow and guilt. I can't start a thread on it - just bury it in here
    >and
    >let it go at that. He was wonderful and we shared 13 plus years of fun and
    >affection. I'm going to do some shelter vol. hours which help a bit.


    Better yet give another furbaby a home.

    ******************
    Absolutely! adopt another kitty if you're in a position to do so.

    I get coupons online for Persia's r/x food and kitty litter. Just got to do
    a simple search

    Jill


  20. #40
    Julie Bove Guest

    Default Re: Using up what you have.

    ImStillMags wrote:
    > On Oct 5, 12:45 pm, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" <atlas-
    > bug...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
    >> In article <k4lgm7$91...@dont-email.me>, "Julie Bove"
    >> <julieb...@frontier.com> wrote:
    >>

    >
    > You know........ just because there is a coupon for it and just
    > because it is on the grocery shelves......doesn't mean you HAVE to buy
    > it.
    >


    And I don't. But we do eat frozen potatoes from time to time. I just made
    a mistake in the timing of buying them. If daughter could have eaten them,
    they would be gone by now.

    > When will people stop being brainwashed by advertising?


    I don't pay attention to advertising.
    >
    > Don't buy all that processed crap, it's BAD for you. In the long run
    > it is MORE expensive simply because you buy it and either don't use it
    > or don't use it up before it goes bad (but with all the preservatives
    > in some of that stuff it will still be here long after the planet
    > dies).


    Nothing wrong with frozen potatoes.
    >
    > Here's a suggestion. Eat fresh fruits and vegetables, preferably
    > organic or pesticide free and non GMO. Eat clean
    > pastured beef, pork and chicken, wild caught fish and pastured
    > eggs.


    I can not eat fish or eggs or chicken. I don't eat pork except for
    occasional bacon. I used to eat organic but now they are saying that
    perhaps it isn't any better for you. And no, I am not one who thought that
    it contained more nutrients. Just less chemicals. But now they are saying
    that might not be true.
    >
    > Stay completely away from packaged foods as much as possible.


    I do.
    >
    > You will live a healthier, happier life and spend way less money on
    > junk.


    Not necessarily. You can save lots of money by eating junk. You would be
    healthier but you will save money.



Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32