Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: Unbrined Chicken Breasts

  1. #1
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Unbrined Chicken Breasts

    This is the first time in probably a decade I have baked chicken
    breasts without first brining them.

    Talk about terrible! Ugh. I took one unseasoned bite and I was
    shaking the salt shaker into my mouth.

    Friends don't let friends forget to brine. I guess I better make some
    chicken salad. But not 5 breasts worth.

    -sw

  2. #2
    JeanineAlyse Guest

    Default Re: Unbrined Chicken Breasts

    On Apr 20, 12:58*pm, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:
    > This is the first time in probably a decade I have baked chicken
    > breasts without first brining them.

    Were those unseasoned breasts to have been my mistake I would mix some
    of the meat into salt & pepper seasoned mayo and pickle relish for a
    few sandwiches, then freeze the rest for another day's adding into a
    spicy soup or pasta salad. I often wonder at my daughter's family
    want only of the tasteless chicken breast meat, and not the far more
    flavorful thigh meat. Any time we gather for a picnic sort of eats, I
    always volunteer to bring the chicken so as to be sure not all is
    breast meat.
    ....Picky

  3. #3
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: Unbrined Chicken Breasts

    On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 13:12:57 -0700 (PDT), JeanineAlyse wrote:

    > On Apr 20, 12:58*pm, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:
    >> This is the first time in probably a decade I have baked chicken
    >> breasts without first brining them.

    >
    > Were those unseasoned breasts to have been my mistake I would mix some
    > of the meat into salt & pepper seasoned mayo and pickle relish for a
    > few sandwiches, then freeze the rest for another day's adding into a
    > spicy soup or pasta salad.


    3 of the breasts just became a chicken, bacon, and bleu salad (with
    green onion, celery, mayo, mustard, pepper). Never made that
    combination before and it seems to have worked pretty well.

    I have avocado and 3 kinds of lettuce (a first my house). So I could
    make cobb salad sandwiches.

    -sw

  4. #4
    graham Guest

    Default Re: Unbrined Chicken Breasts


    "Sqwertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > This is the first time in probably a decade I have baked chicken
    > breasts without first brining them.
    >
    > Talk about terrible! Ugh. I took one unseasoned bite and I was
    > shaking the salt shaker into my mouth.
    >
    > Friends don't let friends forget to brine. I guess I better make some
    > chicken salad. But not 5 breasts worth.
    >
    > -sw
    >

    So you're not worried about your blood pressure.
    Graham



  5. #5
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: Unbrined Chicken Breasts

    On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 15:46:04 -0600, graham wrote:

    > "Sqwertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]..
    >> This is the first time in probably a decade I have baked chicken
    >> breasts without first brining them.
    >>
    >> Talk about terrible! Ugh. I took one unseasoned bite and I was
    >> shaking the salt shaker into my mouth.
    >>
    >> Friends don't let friends forget to brine. I guess I better make some
    >> chicken salad. But not 5 breasts worth.
    >>

    > So you're not worried about your blood pressure.
    > Graham


    <yawn> Do you go door to door preaching, too?

    -sw

  6. #6
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Unbrined Chicken Breasts

    On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 15:46:04 -0600, "graham" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >
    > "Sqwertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]..
    > > This is the first time in probably a decade I have baked chicken
    > > breasts without first brining them.
    > >
    > > Talk about terrible! Ugh. I took one unseasoned bite and I was
    > > shaking the salt shaker into my mouth.
    > >
    > > Friends don't let friends forget to brine. I guess I better make some
    > > chicken salad. But not 5 breasts worth.
    > >
    > > -sw
    > >

    > So you're not worried about your blood pressure.


    For me, it's the opposite. One bite of brined meat and I wonder what
    I was thinking to do that. Might as well buy it prebrined and skip
    the work.

    --

    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.

  7. #7
    Janet Bostwick Guest

    Default Re: Unbrined Chicken Breasts

    On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 14:58:05 -0500, Sqwertz <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >This is the first time in probably a decade I have baked chicken
    >breasts without first brining them.
    >
    >Talk about terrible! Ugh. I took one unseasoned bite and I was
    >shaking the salt shaker into my mouth.
    >
    >Friends don't let friends forget to brine. I guess I better make some
    >chicken salad. But not 5 breasts worth.
    >
    >-sw


    try soaking them in buttermilk next time. It gets rid of the nasty
    taste and leaves them really juicy. (They don't taste like
    buttermilk) Even as little as one hour will make a difference.
    Janet US

  8. #8
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Unbrined Chicken Breasts

    On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 17:52:15 -0600, Janet Bostwick
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 14:58:05 -0500, Sqwertz <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >This is the first time in probably a decade I have baked chicken
    > >breasts without first brining them.
    > >
    > >Talk about terrible! Ugh. I took one unseasoned bite and I was
    > >shaking the salt shaker into my mouth.
    > >
    > >Friends don't let friends forget to brine. I guess I better make some
    > >chicken salad. But not 5 breasts worth.
    > >
    > >-sw

    >
    > try soaking them in buttermilk next time. It gets rid of the nasty
    > taste and leaves them really juicy. (They don't taste like
    > buttermilk) Even as little as one hour will make a difference.
    > Janet US


    I just ran across this recipe a little while ago.
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/gril...0000000222853/

    --

    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.

  9. #9
    jmcquown Guest

    Default Re: Unbrined Chicken Breasts


    "Sqwertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > This is the first time in probably a decade I have baked chicken
    > breasts without first brining them.
    >
    > Talk about terrible! Ugh. I took one unseasoned bite and I was
    > shaking the salt shaker into my mouth.
    >
    > Friends don't let friends forget to brine. I guess I better make some
    > chicken salad. But not 5 breasts worth.
    >
    > -sw



    (sigh) You should know by now chicken breasts are pretty boring. You
    didn't mention what recipe you used, but pretty much everything is boring
    without salt. There's a reason salt used to be traded like gold

    Jill


  10. #10
    Andy Guest

    Default Re: Unbrined Chicken Breasts

    I offer up this recipe: Baked Sesame Chicken Tenders

    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Maries-...ke/Detail.aspx

    With some mods:

    I only use chicken tenders
    I use vegetable oil in place of butter (take your pick)
    Oven temp: 350F
    Use parchment paper in a pan instead of a greased pan. Makes clean-up a
    breeze.
    Flip every ten minutes, three times or to done.

    At the recipe page, my photo of the dish is the one piled up on a paper
    plated with red (hot) and green (mild) salsas, for dipping.

    Enjoy,

    Andy

  11. #11
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: Unbrined Chicken Breasts

    On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 20:20:59 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

    > "Sqwertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]..
    >> This is the first time in probably a decade I have baked chicken
    >> breasts without first brining them.
    >>
    >> Talk about terrible! Ugh. I took one unseasoned bite and I was
    >> shaking the salt shaker into my mouth.
    >>
    >> Friends don't let friends forget to brine. I guess I better make some
    >> chicken salad. But not 5 breasts worth.
    >>
    >> -sw

    >
    > (sigh) You should know by now chicken breasts are pretty boring. You
    > didn't mention what recipe you used


    Yes I did - "Baked". Convection Roasted, actually, at 400F.

    Baked chicken without any other qualifiers usually just means it was
    sprinkled with a herb or two and salted, and simply baked. Doesn't
    it? In my case I sprinkled them inside the skin and out with salt,
    special high flavor yeast, hydrolyzed vegetable protein, mellow
    toasted onion, onion powder, orange powder, soy flour, celery leaf
    powder, celery root powder, garlic powder, dill, kelp, Indian curry,
    horseradish, ripe white pepper, orange and lemon peel, summer savory,
    mustard flower, sweet green and red peppers, parsley flakes, tarragon,
    rosehips, saffron, mushroom powder, parsley powder, spinach powder,
    tomato powder, sweet Hungarian paprika, celery powder, cayenne pepper,
    plus a delightful herbal bouquet of the best Greek oregano, French
    sweet basil, French marjoram, French rosemary, and Spanish thyme.

    -sw

  12. #12
    jmcquown Guest

    Default Re: Unbrined Chicken Breasts


    "Sqwertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:cypyd3at83d3$.[email protected]..
    > On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 20:20:59 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
    >
    >> "Sqwertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]..
    >>> This is the first time in probably a decade I have baked chicken
    >>> breasts without first brining them.
    >>>
    >>> Talk about terrible! Ugh. I took one unseasoned bite and I was
    >>> shaking the salt shaker into my mouth.
    >>>
    >>> Friends don't let friends forget to brine. I guess I better make some
    >>> chicken salad. But not 5 breasts worth.
    >>>
    >>> -sw

    >>
    >> (sigh) You should know by now chicken breasts are pretty boring. You
    >> didn't mention what recipe you used

    >
    > Yes I did - "Baked". Convection Roasted, actually, at 400F.
    >
    > Baked chicken without any other qualifiers usually just means it was
    > sprinkled with a herb or two and salted, and simply baked. Doesn't
    > it? In my case I sprinkled them inside the skin and out with salt,
    > special high flavor yeast, hydrolyzed vegetable protein, mellow
    > toasted onion, onion powder, orange powder, soy flour, celery leaf
    > powder, celery root powder, garlic powder, dill, kelp, Indian curry,
    > horseradish, ripe white pepper, orange and lemon peel, summer savory,
    > mustard flower, sweet green and red peppers, parsley flakes, tarragon,
    > rosehips, saffron, mushroom powder, parsley powder, spinach powder,
    > tomato powder, sweet Hungarian paprika, celery powder, cayenne pepper,
    > plus a delightful herbal bouquet of the best Greek oregano, French
    > sweet basil, French marjoram, French rosemary, and Spanish thyme.
    >
    > -sw



    That doesn't sound like it should have been boring. Why did you have to add
    something to it? (I've never brined a chicken in my life, but then again,
    chicken isn't on my top 10 list unless it's in soup or chicken & dumplings.)

    Jill


  13. #13
    Cindy Hamilton Guest

    Default Re: Unbrined Chicken Breasts

    On Apr 20, 4:12*pm, JeanineAlyse <Picky...@msn.com> wrote:
    > On Apr 20, 12:58*pm, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:> This is the first time in probably a decade I have baked chicken
    > > breasts without first brining them.

    >
    > Were those unseasoned breasts to have been my mistake I would mix some
    > of the meat into salt & pepper seasoned mayo and pickle relish for a
    > few sandwiches, then freeze the rest for another day's adding into a
    > spicy soup or pasta salad. *I often wonder at my daughter's family
    > want only of the tasteless chicken breast meat, and not the far more
    > flavorful thigh meat. *


    Tastes vary. I prefer breast meat. Thigh meat has a slimy
    mouthfeel that I don't like.

    Granted, it requires more attentiveness to cook breast
    meat so that it remains moist, but it's worth the effort
    for me.

    >Any time we gather for a picnic sort of eats, I
    > always volunteer to bring the chicken so as to be sure not all is
    > breast meat.
    > ...Picky


    Also picky.

    Cindy Hamilton

  14. #14
    David Harmon Guest

    Default Re: Unbrined Chicken Breasts

    On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 06:38:36 -0700 (PDT) in rec.food.cooking, Cindy
    Hamilton <[email protected]> wrote,
    >Tastes vary. I prefer breast meat. Thigh meat has a slimy
    >mouthfeel that I don't like.
    >
    >Granted, it requires more attentiveness to cook breast
    >meat so that it remains moist, but it's worth the effort
    >for me.


    Thigh meat is great if nicely prepared. Breast meat is great if
    nicely prepared. Wings, unfortunately, have no meat and are only
    suitable as carriers for sauce. Plastic wings would be reusable and
    thereby more efficient. But the parts of chicken I mainly don't
    like are the nuggets. Take those for slimy mouthfeel.



  15. #15
    Cindy Hamilton Guest

    Default Re: Unbrined Chicken Breasts

    On Apr 21, 10:58*am, David Harmon <sou...@netcom.com> wrote:
    > On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 06:38:36 -0700 (PDT) in rec.food.cooking, Cindy
    > Hamilton <angelicapagane...@yahoo.com> wrote,
    >
    > >Tastes vary. *I prefer breast meat. *Thigh meat has a slimy
    > >mouthfeel that I don't like.

    >
    > >Granted, it requires more attentiveness to cook breast
    > >meat so that it remains moist, but it's worth the effort
    > >for me.

    >
    > Thigh meat is great if nicely prepared. *Breast meat is great if
    > nicely prepared. *Wings, unfortunately, have no meat and are only
    > suitable as carriers for sauce. *Plastic wings would be reusable and
    > thereby more efficient. *


    I usually get the "boneless" Buffalo wings, which are generally
    breaded fried strips of chicken breast.

    > But the parts of chicken I mainly don't
    > like are the nuggets. *Take those for slimy mouthfeel.


    Where on the chicken are the "nuggets"?

    Cindy Hamilton

  16. #16
    aem Guest

    Default Re: Unbrined Chicken Breasts

    On Apr 20, 12:58 pm, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:
    > This is the first time in probably a decade I have baked chicken
    > breasts without first brining them.
    >
    > Talk about terrible! Ugh. I took one unseasoned bite and I was
    > shaking the salt shaker into my mouth.
    >
    > Friends don't let friends forget to brine. I guess I better make some
    > chicken salad. But not 5 breasts worth.
    >

    In spite of all the fans of brining out there, I've done it only a few
    times, without particular success. I don't find it necessary. To
    begin with, I seldom buy chicken parts, preferring whole birds. Then
    if I'm going to roast or grill them I put some kind of compound
    butter, herbal or garlic, under the skin. That goes a long way toward
    achieving flavor and juiciness. -aem



  17. #17
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Unbrined Chicken Breasts

    On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 12:04:11 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Apr 21, 10:58*am, David Harmon <sou...@netcom.com> wrote:
    > > On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 06:38:36 -0700 (PDT) in rec.food.cooking, Cindy
    > > Hamilton <angelicapagane...@yahoo.com> wrote,
    > >
    > > >Tastes vary. *I prefer breast meat. *Thigh meat has a slimy
    > > >mouthfeel that I don't like.

    > >
    > > >Granted, it requires more attentiveness to cook breast
    > > >meat so that it remains moist, but it's worth the effort
    > > >for me.

    > >
    > > Thigh meat is great if nicely prepared. *Breast meat is great if
    > > nicely prepared. *Wings, unfortunately, have no meat and are only
    > > suitable as carriers for sauce. *Plastic wings would be reusable and
    > > thereby more efficient. *

    >
    > I usually get the "boneless" Buffalo wings, which are generally
    > breaded fried strips of chicken breast.
    >
    > > But the parts of chicken I mainly don't
    > > like are the nuggets. *Take those for slimy mouthfeel.

    >
    > Where on the chicken are the "nuggets"?
    >

    I wasn't going to touch that one with a 10 foot pole. LOL


    --
    I love cooking with wine.
    Sometimes I even put it in the food.

  18. #18
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Unbrined Chicken Breasts

    On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 12:15:35 -0700 (PDT), aem <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > In spite of all the fans of brining out there, I've done it only a few
    > times, without particular success. I don't find it necessary. To
    > begin with, I seldom buy chicken parts, preferring whole birds. Then
    > if I'm going to roast or grill them I put some kind of compound
    > butter, herbal or garlic, under the skin. That goes a long way toward
    > achieving flavor and juiciness. -aem


    I don't even bother with butter anymore. I want brown, crispy skin,
    not pale, flabby skin. When I roast a whole chicken vertically in the
    oven, that's the one time I use convect - and high heat, at least
    400F.

    --
    I love cooking with wine.
    Sometimes I even put it in the food.

  19. #19
    notbob Guest

    Default Re: Unbrined Chicken Breasts

    On 2011-04-21, sf <[email protected]> wrote:

    > not pale, flabby skin. When I roast a whole chicken vertically in the


    Why vertically?

  20. #20
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Unbrined Chicken Breasts

    On 21 Apr 2011 20:20:17 GMT, notbob <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On 2011-04-21, sf <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > not pale, flabby skin. When I roast a whole chicken vertically in the

    >
    > Why vertically?


    It's an even brown all over, nice crispy skin. I like the back to be
    as brown as the front and I don't like indentations in the breast
    meat, which happens when you flip the bird.

    --

    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32