Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 156

Thread: Two pots of...

  1. #1
    Wayne Boatwright Guest

    Default Two pots of...

    chili... David's preference for thin and rather plain, and mine so filled
    with ingredients and seasonings you can easily stand a spoon up in it.

    It was a "frigid" 39 degrees when I got up this morning! :-)

    --

    ~~ If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it. ~~

    ~~ A mind is a terrible thing to lose. ~~

    ************************************************** ********

    Wayne Boatwright


  2. #2
    phaeton Guest

    Default Re: Two pots of...

    On Dec 11, 11:34*pm, Wayne Boatwright
    <wayneboatwri...@arizona.usa.com> wrote:
    > chili... *David's preference for thin and rather plain, and mine so filled
    > with ingredients and seasonings you can easily stand a spoon up in it.
    >
    > It was a "frigid" 39 degrees when I got up this morning! *:-)
    >
    > --
    >
    > ~~ If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it. ~~
    >
    > * * * * ~~ A mind is a terrible thing to lose. ~~
    >
    > ************************************************** ********
    >
    > * * * * * * * * * * *Wayne Boatwright


    I wish it were 39 degrees. But chili weather is chili weather, and I
    won't argue with anyone that calls "chili time!", I'll just grab a
    bowl. And some buttered wheat bread.

    I have beef curry lined up tomorrow for my weather... but in essence,
    it serves the same purpose as chili in this context.

    Stew on!

    -J

  3. #3
    King's Crown Guest

    Default Re: Two pots of...


    "Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected] 5.247...
    > chili... David's preference for thin and rather plain, and mine so filled
    > with ingredients and seasonings you can easily stand a spoon up in it.
    >
    > It was a "frigid" 39 degrees when I got up this morning! :-)
    >

    I've been hankering for a pot of chili since it got some cold. Think I'll
    make some tomorrow. I'm like you I'd rather the chili be really thick.

    Lynne


  4. #4
    isw Guest

    Default Re: Two pots of...

    In article <hfvc1n$hce$[email protected]>,
    "King's Crown" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected] 5.247...
    > > chili... David's preference for thin and rather plain, and mine so filled
    > > with ingredients and seasonings you can easily stand a spoon up in it.
    > >
    > > It was a "frigid" 39 degrees when I got up this morning! :-)
    > >

    > I've been hankering for a pot of chili since it got some cold. Think I'll
    > make some tomorrow. I'm like you I'd rather the chili be really thick.


    if it's too thick, when you crumble the crackers into it they don't soak
    up anything.

    Isaac

  5. #5
    Wayne Boatwright Guest

    Default Re: Two pots of...

    On Fri 11 Dec 2009 11:21:39p, isw told us...

    > In article <hfvc1n$hce$[email protected]>,
    > "King's Crown" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> "Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected] 5.247...
    >> > chili... David's preference for thin and rather plain, and mine so
    >> > filled with ingredients and seasonings you can easily stand a spoon
    >> > up in it.
    >> >
    >> > It was a "frigid" 39 degrees when I got up this morning! :-)
    >> >

    >> I've been hankering for a pot of chili since it got some cold. Think
    >> I'll make some tomorrow. I'm like you I'd rather the chili be really
    >> thick.

    >
    > if it's too thick, when you crumble the crackers into it they don't soak
    > up anything.
    >
    > Isaac
    >


    I don't crumble the crackers into it. I want my crackers as crisp as
    possible.

    --

    ~~ If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it. ~~

    ~~ A mind is a terrible thing to lose. ~~

    ************************************************** ********

    Wayne Boatwright


  6. #6
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Two pots of...

    On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 05:34:35 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >chili... David's preference for thin and rather plain, and mine so filled
    >with ingredients and seasonings you can easily stand a spoon up in it.


    I'll take yours... with cornbread or saltine crackers. I'm not picky.


    --
    I love cooking with wine.
    Sometimes I even put it in the food.

  7. #7
    Zilbandy Guest

    Default Re: Two pots of...


    On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 06:52:25 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> if it's too thick, when you crumble the crackers into it they don't soak
    >> up anything.
    >>
    >> Isaac
    >>

    >
    >I don't crumble the crackers into it. I want my crackers as crisp as
    >possible.


    I take a relatively thin chili and crush up a whole bunch of crackers
    in it until it's the consistancy of say... peanut butter. Yum!

    --
    Zilbandy

  8. #8
    Wayne Boatwright Guest

    Default Re: Two pots of...

    On Sat 12 Dec 2009 12:13:49a, sf told us...

    > On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 05:34:35 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>chili... David's preference for thin and rather plain, and mine so

    filled
    >>with ingredients and seasonings you can easily stand a spoon up in it.

    >
    > I'll take yours... with cornbread or saltine crackers. I'm not picky.
    >
    >


    We had saltines tonight. I may bake a skillet of cornbread tomorrow. I
    like both, too. The chili will mellow out overnight, too.

    Funny, I always have the fleeting intention to make the chili the day/night
    before and not eat any immediately. It always seems improved the next day,
    but I never seem to resist that first bowl right after cooking.

    --

    ~~ If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it. ~~

    ~~ A mind is a terrible thing to lose. ~~

    ************************************************** ********

    Wayne Boatwright


  9. #9
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Two pots of...

    On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 07:30:55 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Funny, I always have the fleeting intention to make the chili the day/night
    >before and not eat any immediately. It always seems improved the next day,
    >but I never seem to resist that first bowl right after cooking.


    all the more reason to make twice as much. LOL

    --
    I love cooking with wine.
    Sometimes I even put it in the food.

  10. #10
    King's Crown Guest

    Default Re: Two pots of...


    "isw" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:isw-1D0269.22213911122009@[216.168.3.50]...
    > In article <hfvc1n$hce$[email protected]>,
    > "King's Crown" <qoekc@c[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> "Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected] 5.247...
    >> > chili... David's preference for thin and rather plain, and mine so
    >> > filled
    >> > with ingredients and seasonings you can easily stand a spoon up in it.
    >> >
    >> > It was a "frigid" 39 degrees when I got up this morning! :-)
    >> >

    >> I've been hankering for a pot of chili since it got some cold. Think
    >> I'll
    >> make some tomorrow. I'm like you I'd rather the chili be really thick.

    >
    > if it's too thick, when you crumble the crackers into it they don't soak
    > up anything.
    >
    > Isaac


    I prefer crumbled tortilla chips in mine.

    Lynne


  11. #11
    King's Crown Guest

    Default Re: Two pots of...


    "Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected] .250...
    > On Sat 12 Dec 2009 12:13:49a, sf told us...
    >
    >> On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 05:34:35 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>>chili... David's preference for thin and rather plain, and mine so

    > filled
    >>>with ingredients and seasonings you can easily stand a spoon up in it.

    >>
    >> I'll take yours... with cornbread or saltine crackers. I'm not picky.
    >>
    >>

    >
    > We had saltines tonight. I may bake a skillet of cornbread tomorrow. I
    > like both, too. The chili will mellow out overnight, too.
    >
    > Funny, I always have the fleeting intention to make the chili the
    > day/night
    > before and not eat any immediately. It always seems improved the next
    > day,
    > but I never seem to resist that first bowl right after cooking.
    >

    I think that very same thought... cooking a pot of chili and saving it for
    the next day. It just seems wrong not to have a bowl the day of though.

    One of these days Wayne we'll have to have an online support group for those
    who want to save the chili for the next day. I'll definitely need someone
    to hold my hand for that one.

    Lynne


  12. #12
    Leonard Blaisdell Guest

    Default Re: Two pots of...

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Zilbandy <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I take a relatively thin chili and crush up a whole bunch of crackers
    > in it until it's the consistancy of say... peanut butter. Yum!


    You too? My wife thinks I'm nuts. I do the same with tomato soup and a
    few others.

    leo

  13. #13
    sandi Guest

    Default Re: Two pots of...

    Wayne Boatwright <[email protected]> wrote in

    >
    > I don't crumble the crackers into it. I want my crackers as
    > crisp as possible.


    Oyster crackers here.

    Weather was -0 and below with wind chill. Finally we are warming
    up. Yesterday was then 2nd batch of chili made this week.


  14. #14
    Jean B. Guest

    Default Re: Two pots of...

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    > chili... David's preference for thin and rather plain, and mine so filled
    > with ingredients and seasonings you can easily stand a spoon up in it.
    >
    > It was a "frigid" 39 degrees when I got up this morning! :-)
    >

    Yup, it's chili weather here, too. We finished up some "Obama
    Chili" which I had in thee freezer. This batch improved with age,
    as chili does, but it wasn't as good as the first batch. I think
    that's because in batch one, I used normal beans (I forget
    which--need to look back at the recipe) and I was running out of
    red wine vinegar and used Chardonnay vinegar. In the second
    batch, I tried soy beans and used normal red wine vinegar. It
    tasted too vinegary. (I am still getting used to putting a bit of
    that in chili.)

    --
    Jean B.

  15. #15
    Jean B. Guest

    Default Re: Two pots of...

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    > On Sat 12 Dec 2009 12:13:49a, sf told us...
    >
    >> On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 05:34:35 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> chili... David's preference for thin and rather plain, and mine so

    > filled
    >>> with ingredients and seasonings you can easily stand a spoon up in it.

    >> I'll take yours... with cornbread or saltine crackers. I'm not picky.
    >>
    >>

    >
    > We had saltines tonight. I may bake a skillet of cornbread tomorrow. I
    > like both, too. The chili will mellow out overnight, too.
    >
    > Funny, I always have the fleeting intention to make the chili the day/night
    > before and not eat any immediately. It always seems improved the next day,
    > but I never seem to resist that first bowl right after cooking.
    >

    Well, you DO have to try it then! I ALWAYS make cornbread to
    serve with chili....

    --
    Jean B.

  16. #16
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Two pots of...

    On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 00:17:48 -0800, Leonard Blaisdell
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>,
    > Zilbandy <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> I take a relatively thin chili and crush up a whole bunch of crackers
    >> in it until it's the consistancy of say... peanut butter. Yum!

    >
    >You too? My wife thinks I'm nuts. I do the same with tomato soup and a
    >few others.
    >

    Me too!


    --
    I love cooking with wine.
    Sometimes I even put it in the food.

  17. #17
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Two pots of...

    On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 00:07:06 -0800, "King's Crown" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I prefer crumbled tortilla chips in mine.


    Do you ever make tortilla soup with them? You can get fancy or as
    simple as chicken broth, commercial salsa fresca plus tortilla chips.

    --
    I love cooking with wine.
    Sometimes I even put it in the food.

  18. #18
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Two pots of...

    On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 00:10:42 -0800, "King's Crown" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >One of these days Wayne we'll have to have an online support group for those
    >who want to save the chili for the next day. I'll definitely need someone
    >to hold my hand for that one.


    that's what a cook along is good for!

    --
    I love cooking with wine.
    Sometimes I even put it in the food.

  19. #19
    Stu Guest

    Default Re: Two pots of...

    On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 05:34:35 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    -->chili... David's preference for thin and rather plain, and mine so filled
    -->with ingredients and seasonings you can easily stand a spoon up in it.
    -->
    -->It was a "frigid" 39 degrees when I got up this morning! :-)

    -24C here right now

  20. #20
    blake murphy Guest

    Default Re: Two pots of...

    On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 09:05:00 -0500, Jean B. wrote:

    > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    >> chili... David's preference for thin and rather plain, and mine so filled
    >> with ingredients and seasonings you can easily stand a spoon up in it.
    >>
    >> It was a "frigid" 39 degrees when I got up this morning! :-)
    >>

    > Yup, it's chili weather here, too. We finished up some "Obama
    > Chili" which I had in thee freezer. This batch improved with age,
    > as chili does, but it wasn't as good as the first batch. I think
    > that's because in batch one, I used normal beans (I forget
    > which--need to look back at the recipe) and I was running out of
    > red wine vinegar and used Chardonnay vinegar. In the second
    > batch, I tried soy beans and used normal red wine vinegar. It
    > tasted too vinegary. (I am still getting used to putting a bit of
    > that in chili.)


    i use one tablespoon of cider vinegar in a chili batch with a pound of meat
    and a pound (roughly) canned kidney beans (or dried equivalent). i'm
    guessing the chardonnay v. is milder.

    your pal,
    blake

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32