Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: two eggplant questions

  1. #1
    Todd Guest

    Default two eggplant questions

    Hi All,

    A local organic farmer grows the most wonderful eggplant.
    (You get to pick them yourself -- great fun.)

    Problem: I stink as a cook.

    1) what spices should I use? (Only singles please, I have
    to stick with organic spices.)

    2) is them some other way to "seal" the eggplant when
    frying it other than egg? (Not sure I like the flavor
    eggs impart. It may just be the lack of spices.)

    Many thanks,
    -T

  2. #2
    sf Guest

    Default Re: two eggplant questions

    On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 12:16:32 -0700, Todd <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > A local organic farmer grows the most wonderful eggplant.
    > (You get to pick them yourself -- great fun.)
    >
    > Problem: I stink as a cook.
    >
    > 1) what spices should I use? (Only singles please, I have
    > to stick with organic spices.)
    >
    > 2) is them some other way to "seal" the eggplant when
    > frying it other than egg? (Not sure I like the flavor
    > eggs impart. It may just be the lack of spices.)
    >
    > Many thanks,
    > -T


    Expand your eggplant horizons!

    http://www.mazamag.com/2012/05/the-g...t-1000-repins/
    http://prouditaliancook.blogspot.com...otta-bake.html
    http://prouditaliancook.blogspot.com...t-weather.html
    http://www.alexandracooks.com/2011/0...ant-involtini/
    http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/g...?nterms=112064
    <http://www.livebetteramerica.com/recipes/grilled-eggplant-pizza-sandwiches/f590494c-f401-4273-92b6-131ae8378862?nicam4=SocialMedia&nichn4=Pinterest&n iseg4=EBA&nicreatID4=Post>

    bonus recipe:
    http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2012/08...nt-jam-recipe/


    --
    Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

  3. #3
    Janet Bostwick Guest

    Default Re: two eggplant questions

    On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 12:16:32 -0700, Todd <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi All,
    >
    >A local organic farmer grows the most wonderful eggplant.
    >(You get to pick them yourself -- great fun.)
    >
    >Problem: I stink as a cook.
    >
    >1) what spices should I use? (Only singles please, I have
    >to stick with organic spices.)
    >
    >2) is them some other way to "seal" the eggplant when
    >frying it other than egg? (Not sure I like the flavor
    >eggs impart. It may just be the lack of spices.)
    >
    >Many thanks,
    >-T

    Sprinkle the slices with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Fry them in
    olive oil until tender. Eat. Simple way but good.
    Janet US

  4. #4
    Todd Guest

    Default Re: two eggplant questions

    On 09/16/2012 04:44 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
    > On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 12:16:32 -0700, Todd <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> A local organic farmer grows the most wonderful eggplant.
    >> (You get to pick them yourself -- great fun.)
    >>
    >> Problem: I stink as a cook.
    >>
    >> 1) what spices should I use? (Only singles please, I have
    >> to stick with organic spices.)
    >>
    >> 2) is them some other way to "seal" the eggplant when
    >> frying it other than egg? (Not sure I like the flavor
    >> eggs impart. It may just be the lack of spices.)
    >>
    >> Many thanks,
    >> -T

    > Sprinkle the slices with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Fry them in
    > olive oil until tender. Eat. Simple way but good.
    > Janet US
    >


    Sounds yummy.

    Problem: every time I have tried frying eggplant directly in
    olive oil, I get olive oil sponges. I can watch the oil wick
    up into the eggplant from the pan. That is why I switched to
    egg batter. (And, I don't care for the taste of egg and
    eggplant together.)

    Something is wrong with my technique. What am I doing wrong?

    -T

  5. #5
    Todd Guest

    Default Re: two eggplant questions

    On 09/16/2012 03:49 PM, sf wrote:
    > On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 12:16:32 -0700, Todd <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> A local organic farmer grows the most wonderful eggplant.
    >> (You get to pick them yourself -- great fun.)
    >>
    >> Problem: I stink as a cook.
    >>
    >> 1) what spices should I use? (Only singles please, I have
    >> to stick with organic spices.)
    >>
    >> 2) is them some other way to "seal" the eggplant when
    >> frying it other than egg? (Not sure I like the flavor
    >> eggs impart. It may just be the lack of spices.)
    >>
    >> Many thanks,
    >> -T

    >
    > Expand your eggplant horizons!
    >
    > http://www.mazamag.com/2012/05/the-g...t-1000-repins/
    > http://prouditaliancook.blogspot.com...otta-bake.html
    > http://prouditaliancook.blogspot.com...t-weather.html
    > http://www.alexandracooks.com/2011/0...ant-involtini/
    > http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/g...?nterms=112064
    > <http://www.livebetteramerica.com/recipes/grilled-eggplant-pizza-sandwiches/f590494c-f401-4273-92b6-131ae8378862?nicam4=SocialMedia&nichn4=Pinterest&n iseg4=EBA&nicreatID4=Post>
    >
    > bonus recipe:
    > http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2012/08...nt-jam-recipe/
    >
    >


    Thank you!

    I should have mentioned I only have a frying pan at my disposal.

    -T

  6. #6
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: two eggplant questions

    On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 16:57:17 -0700, Todd wrote:

    > Something is wrong with my technique. What am I doing wrong?


    Try substituting a eggplant-shaped steak such as a beef ribeye and try
    it again.

    -sw

  7. #7
    Todd Guest

    Default Re: two eggplant questions

    On 09/16/2012 07:38 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
    > On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 16:57:17 -0700, Todd wrote:
    >
    >> Something is wrong with my technique. What am I doing wrong?

    >
    > Try substituting a eggplant-shaped steak such as a beef ribeye and try
    > it again.
    >
    > -sw
    >


    :-)

  8. #8
    Farm1 Guest

    Default Re: two eggplant questions

    "Todd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:k358ih$ltu$[email protected]..
    > Hi All,
    >
    > A local organic farmer grows the most wonderful eggplant.
    > (You get to pick them yourself -- great fun.)
    >
    > Problem: I stink as a cook.
    >
    > 1) what spices should I use? (Only singles please, I have
    > to stick with organic spices.)
    >
    > 2) is them some other way to "seal" the eggplant when
    > frying it other than egg? (Not sure I like the flavor
    > eggs impart. It may just be the lack of spices.)


    Our most favourite way to eat eggplant is to just slice it, brush it with
    some oil and stick it on the BBQ. If we aren't using the BBQ we still slice
    it,b rush it with oil and stick it under the griller, which I think is
    called a broiler in the US.



  9. #9
    sf Guest

    Default Re: two eggplant questions

    On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 16:58:12 -0700, Todd <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On 09/16/2012 03:49 PM, sf wrote:
    > > On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 12:16:32 -0700, Todd <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi All,
    > >>
    > >> A local organic farmer grows the most wonderful eggplant.
    > >> (You get to pick them yourself -- great fun.)
    > >>
    > >> Problem: I stink as a cook.
    > >>
    > >> 1) what spices should I use? (Only singles please, I have
    > >> to stick with organic spices.)
    > >>
    > >> 2) is them some other way to "seal" the eggplant when
    > >> frying it other than egg? (Not sure I like the flavor
    > >> eggs impart. It may just be the lack of spices.)
    > >>
    > >> Many thanks,
    > >> -T

    > >
    > > Expand your eggplant horizons!
    > >
    > > http://www.mazamag.com/2012/05/the-g...t-1000-repins/
    > > http://prouditaliancook.blogspot.com...otta-bake.html
    > > http://prouditaliancook.blogspot.com...t-weather.html
    > > http://www.alexandracooks.com/2011/0...ant-involtini/
    > > http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/g...?nterms=112064
    > > <http://www.livebetteramerica.com/recipes/grilled-eggplant-pizza-sandwiches/f590494c-f401-4273-92b6-131ae8378862?nicam4=SocialMedia&nichn4=Pinterest&n iseg4=EBA&nicreatID4=Post>
    > >
    > > bonus recipe:
    > > http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2012/08...nt-jam-recipe/
    > >
    > >

    >
    > Thank you!


    YW
    >
    > I should have mentioned I only have a frying pan at my disposal.
    >

    That was a pretty big omission, but if you have a lid (foil will do)
    you can do pretty much anything that calls for an oven on your
    stovetop or burner.

    --
    Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

  10. #10
    jmcquown Guest

    Default Re: two eggplant questions

    "Todd" wrote in message news:k35p0t$o9s$[email protected]..

    On 09/16/2012 04:44 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
    > On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 12:16:32 -0700, Todd <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> A local organic farmer grows the most wonderful eggplant.
    >> (You get to pick them yourself -- great fun.)
    >>
    >> Problem: I stink as a cook.
    >>
    >> 1) what spices should I use? (Only singles please, I have
    >> to stick with organic spices.)
    >>
    >> 2) is them some other way to "seal" the eggplant when
    >> frying it other than egg? (Not sure I like the flavor
    >> eggs impart. It may just be the lack of spices.)
    >>
    >> Many thanks,
    >> -T

    > Sprinkle the slices with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Fry them in
    > olive oil until tender. Eat. Simple way but good.
    > Janet US
    >


    Sounds yummy.

    Problem: every time I have tried frying eggplant directly in
    olive oil, I get olive oil sponges. I can watch the oil wick
    up into the eggplant from the pan. That is why I switched to
    egg batter. (And, I don't care for the taste of egg and
    eggplant together.)

    Something is wrong with my technique. What am I doing wrong?

    -T


    The oil isn't hot enough. You don't have to use egg batter. Season some
    flour generously with salt & pepper. As Janet suggested, maybe add some
    garlic powder (not garlic salt!). Dredge the eggplant slices in the flour,
    pan fry in very hot oil. Don't over-crowd the pan.

    Oh, another thing. Some folks will disagree, but I have always sprinkled
    slices of eggplant with salt and let them sit for a few minutes on paper
    towels. The salt will leach out excess moisture. Then rinse (I'm assuming
    you have a sink), pat dry, dredge in seasoned flour, etc.

    Jill


  11. #11
    Janet Bostwick Guest

    Default Re: two eggplant questions

    On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 15:23:32 +1000, "Farm1" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >"Todd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:k358ih$ltu$[email protected]..
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> A local organic farmer grows the most wonderful eggplant.
    >> (You get to pick them yourself -- great fun.)
    >>
    >> Problem: I stink as a cook.
    >>
    >> 1) what spices should I use? (Only singles please, I have
    >> to stick with organic spices.)
    >>
    >> 2) is them some other way to "seal" the eggplant when
    >> frying it other than egg? (Not sure I like the flavor
    >> eggs impart. It may just be the lack of spices.)

    >
    >Our most favourite way to eat eggplant is to just slice it, brush it with
    >some oil and stick it on the BBQ. If we aren't using the BBQ we still slice
    >it,b rush it with oil and stick it under the griller, which I think is
    >called a broiler in the US.
    >

    Brushing with oil is a good technique. It's an excellent way to limit
    oil absorption. I brush tortillas with oil before frying them to
    limit the amount of oil.
    Janet US

  12. #12
    Todd Guest

    Default Re: two eggplant questions

    On 09/17/2012 06:18 AM, jmcquown wrote:
    > "Todd" wrote in message news:k35p0t$o9s$[email protected]..
    >
    > On 09/16/2012 04:44 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
    >> On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 12:16:32 -0700, Todd <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi All,
    >>>
    >>> A local organic farmer grows the most wonderful eggplant.
    >>> (You get to pick them yourself -- great fun.)
    >>>
    >>> Problem: I stink as a cook.
    >>>
    >>> 1) what spices should I use? (Only singles please, I have
    >>> to stick with organic spices.)
    >>>
    >>> 2) is them some other way to "seal" the eggplant when
    >>> frying it other than egg? (Not sure I like the flavor
    >>> eggs impart. It may just be the lack of spices.)
    >>>
    >>> Many thanks,
    >>> -T

    >> Sprinkle the slices with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Fry them in
    >> olive oil until tender. Eat. Simple way but good.
    >> Janet US
    >>

    >
    > Sounds yummy.
    >
    > Problem: every time I have tried frying eggplant directly in
    > olive oil, I get olive oil sponges. I can watch the oil wick
    > up into the eggplant from the pan. That is why I switched to
    > egg batter. (And, I don't care for the taste of egg and
    > eggplant together.)
    >
    > Something is wrong with my technique. What am I doing wrong?
    >
    > -T
    >
    >
    > The oil isn't hot enough. You don't have to use egg batter. Season
    > some flour generously with salt & pepper. As Janet suggested, maybe add
    > some garlic powder (not garlic salt!). Dredge the eggplant slices in
    > the flour, pan fry in very hot oil. Don't over-crowd the pan.
    >
    > Oh, another thing. Some folks will disagree, but I have always
    > sprinkled slices of eggplant with salt and let them sit for a few
    > minutes on paper towels. The salt will leach out excess moisture. Then
    > rinse (I'm assuming you have a sink), pat dry, dredge in seasoned flour,
    > etc.
    >
    > Jill


    Thank you!

    How do you get the flour to stick to the eggplant? Coat with olive oil
    first?

    -T

  13. #13
    Gary Guest

    Default Re: two eggplant questions

    jmcquown wrote:
    >
    > Oh, another thing. Some folks will disagree, but I have always sprinkled
    > slices of eggplant with salt and let them sit for a few minutes on paper
    > towels. The salt will leach out excess moisture. Then rinse (I'm assuming
    > you have a sink),


    Assuming they have a sink? LOL! Nothing like the deep south talking.
    Jill carries buckets of fresh water up from the crik each morning.

    G.

  14. #14
    sf Guest

    Default Re: two eggplant questions

    On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 16:16:39 -0400, Gary <[email protected]> wrote:

    > jmcquown wrote:
    > >
    > > Oh, another thing. Some folks will disagree, but I have always sprinkled
    > > slices of eggplant with salt and let them sit for a few minutes on paper
    > > towels. The salt will leach out excess moisture. Then rinse (I'm assuming
    > > you have a sink),

    >
    > Assuming they have a sink? LOL! Nothing like the deep south talking.
    > Jill carries buckets of fresh water up from the crik each morning.
    >

    It sounds like the OP is working in that type of situation. Remember
    he only has one frying pan (no mention if it's cast iron or has a heat
    proof handle) and didn't bother to make that rather important point in
    the very first post with no further information about his cooking
    situation. I smell a troll.

    --
    Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

  15. #15
    Todd Guest

    Default Re: two eggplant questions

    On 09/17/2012 02:27 PM, sf wrote:
    > On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 16:16:39 -0400, Gary <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> jmcquown wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Oh, another thing. Some folks will disagree, but I have always sprinkled
    >>> slices of eggplant with salt and let them sit for a few minutes on paper
    >>> towels. The salt will leach out excess moisture. Then rinse (I'm assuming
    >>> you have a sink),

    >>
    >> Assuming they have a sink? LOL! Nothing like the deep south talking.
    >> Jill carries buckets of fresh water up from the crik each morning.
    >>

    > It sounds like the OP is working in that type of situation. Remember
    > he only has one frying pan (no mention if it's cast iron or has a heat
    > proof handle) and didn't bother to make that rather important point in
    > the very first post with no further information about his cooking
    > situation. I smell a troll.
    >


    Guys, I only asked about two things:

    1) spices for eggplant. Answer: salt, pepper, garlic

    2) egg substitute. Answer: oil it and coat it in flour.

    My implements were and are not part of the question. Now
    it is fine, actually very much appreciated, when you guys
    go off on tangents to help me. But, calling me a troll
    because you are trying to answering a question that was
    not asked is a bit rude.

    -T

  16. #16
    sf Guest

    Default Re: two eggplant questions

    On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 14:49:31 -0700, Todd <[email protected]> wrote:

    >
    > My implements were and are not part of the question. Now
    > it is fine, actually very much appreciated, when you guys
    > go off on tangents to help me. But, calling me a troll
    > because you are trying to answering a question that was
    > not asked is a bit rude.


    Get used to it. I'm over you and you're in the bozo bin.

    --
    Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

  17. #17
    Janet Bostwick Guest

    Default Re: two eggplant questions

    On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 12:30:57 -0700, Todd <[email protected]> wrote:

    snip
    >
    >How do you get the flour to stick to the eggplant? Coat with olive oil
    >first?
    >
    >-T


    The flour thing and the brush with olive oil thing are either/or.
    Janet US

  18. #18
    Todd Guest

    Default Re: two eggplant questions

    On 09/17/2012 03:25 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
    > On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 12:30:57 -0700, Todd <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > snip
    >>
    >> How do you get the flour to stick to the eggplant? Coat with olive oil
    >> first?
    >>
    >> -T

    >
    > The flour thing and the brush with olive oil thing are either/or.
    > Janet US
    >



    Thank you!

    I use organic olive oil (Trader Joe's). When do I know if the
    heat if high enough? When it starts that wonderful aroma or
    when I first see smoke?

    Thank you for putting up with all the beginner questions.

    -T

  19. #19
    jmcquown Guest

    Default Re: two eggplant questions

    "Gary" wrote in message news:[email protected]..

    jmcquown wrote:
    >
    > Oh, another thing. Some folks will disagree, but I have always sprinkled
    > slices of eggplant with salt and let them sit for a few minutes on paper
    > towels. The salt will leach out excess moisture. Then rinse (I'm
    > assuming
    > you have a sink),


    Assuming they have a sink? LOL! Nothing like the deep south talking.
    Jill carries buckets of fresh water up from the crik each morning.

    G.


    Don't be rude, Gary. He said all he has is a hot plate so I cannot assume
    he has a kitchen sink.

    Jill


  20. #20
    jmcquown Guest

    Default Re: two eggplant questions

    "Todd" wrote in message news:k389h1$qk3$[email protected]..

    On 09/17/2012 03:25 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
    > On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 12:30:57 -0700, Todd <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > snip
    >>
    >> How do you get the flour to stick to the eggplant? Coat with olive oil
    >> first?
    >>
    >> -T

    >
    > The flour thing and the brush with olive oil thing are either/or.
    > Janet US
    >



    Thank you!

    I use organic olive oil (Trader Joe's). When do I know if the
    heat if high enough? When it starts that wonderful aroma or
    when I first see smoke?

    Thank you for putting up with all the beginner questions.

    -T


    You're not deep frying, you're pan frying. So oil the pan lightly, heat it.
    When a drop of water skitters across the pan, the oil is hot.

    The seasoned flour is merely a suggestion over egg batter. That's the way I
    was taught to season and fry eggplant slices. Turn when browned on one
    side, then the other. Remove to a paper towel to drain off any excess oil.
    Delicious, really!

    Jill


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32