Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Tapas at Tico in Boston

  1. #1
    Felice Guest

    Default Tapas at Tico in Boston

    Went to Tico, Michael Schlow's newest, for margaritas Friday
    afternoon. The margs were great but the small plates (they offer about
    thirty or so) were fantastic. We overstuffed ourselves on these:

    lobster and avocado tacos
    fried shrimp with pickled jalapenos on tiny toasts
    mac & cheese with serrano ham and bread crumbs
    fried Manchego cheese with pomegranate honey sauce
    sweet corn with bacon, chiles and Thai basil
    snap peas with orange zest and Tabasco butter

    Needless to say, that was our dinner.

    Felice



  2. #2
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: Tapas at Tico in Boston

    On Sun, 7 Aug 2011 15:51:28 -0400, "Felice" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Went to Tico, Michael Schlow's newest, for margaritas Friday
    >afternoon. The margs were great but the small plates (they offer about
    >thirty or so) were fantastic. We overstuffed ourselves on these:
    >
    >lobster and avocado tacos
    >fried shrimp with pickled jalapenos on tiny toasts
    >mac & cheese with serrano ham and bread crumbs
    >fried Manchego cheese with pomegranate honey sauce
    >sweet corn with bacon, chiles and Thai basil
    >snap peas with orange zest and Tabasco butter
    >
    >Needless to say, that was our dinner.
    >
    >Felice


    Lobster and avocado sounds the best to me... never had that combo but
    should be good... faux tomalley is safer... I will try it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomalley

    Cooking serrano ham, especially with mac n' cheese is a terrible
    waste... cooking ruins the texture and serrano is not even smoked,
    adds nothing to mac n'cheese, other than salt... cheese needs salt
    like one needs a boil on their ass.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jam%C3%B3n_serrano

    The rest of that list reads like keyboard kookery... overly
    pretentious/sound and fury signifying nothing.

  3. #3
    Jean B. Guest

    Default Re: Tapas at Tico in Boston

    Felice wrote:
    > Went to Tico, Michael Schlow's newest, for margaritas Friday
    > afternoon. The margs were great but the small plates (they offer about
    > thirty or so) were fantastic. We overstuffed ourselves on these:
    >
    > lobster and avocado tacos
    > fried shrimp with pickled jalapenos on tiny toasts
    > mac & cheese with serrano ham and bread crumbs
    > fried Manchego cheese with pomegranate honey sauce
    > sweet corn with bacon, chiles and Thai basil
    > snap peas with orange zest and Tabasco butter
    >
    > Needless to say, that was our dinner.
    >
    > Felice
    >
    >

    Hmmmm. I LOVE tapas... and haven't had them for a really long time.

    --
    Jean B.

  4. #4
    Felice Guest

    Default Re: Tapas at Tico in Boston

    "Jean B." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Felice wrote:
    >> Went to Tico, Michael Schlow's newest, for margaritas Friday
    >> afternoon. The margs were great but the small plates (they offer
    >> about thirty or so) were fantastic. We overstuffed ourselves on
    >> these:
    >> lobster and avocado tacos
    >> fried shrimp with pickled jalapenos on tiny toasts
    >> mac & cheese with serrano ham and bread crumbs
    >> fried Manchego cheese with pomegranate honey sauce
    >> sweet corn with bacon, chiles and Thai basil
    >> snap peas with orange zest and Tabasco butter
    >>
    >> Needless to say, that was our dinner.
    >>
    >> Felice


    > Hmmmm. I LOVE tapas... and haven't had them for a really long
    > time.


    Jean, you should give this a go next time you're in town. Tico is
    where Cottonwood used to be, at Berkeley and St. James.

    Felice



  5. #5
    Jean B. Guest

    Default Re: Tapas at Tico in Boston

    Felice wrote:
    > "Jean B." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Felice wrote:
    >>> Went to Tico, Michael Schlow's newest, for margaritas Friday
    >>> afternoon. The margs were great but the small plates (they offer
    >>> about thirty or so) were fantastic. We overstuffed ourselves on
    >>> these:
    >>> lobster and avocado tacos
    >>> fried shrimp with pickled jalapenos on tiny toasts
    >>> mac & cheese with serrano ham and bread crumbs
    >>> fried Manchego cheese with pomegranate honey sauce
    >>> sweet corn with bacon, chiles and Thai basil
    >>> snap peas with orange zest and Tabasco butter
    >>>
    >>> Needless to say, that was our dinner.
    >>>
    >>> Felice

    >
    >> Hmmmm. I LOVE tapas... and haven't had them for a really long
    >> time.

    >
    > Jean, you should give this a go next time you're in town. Tico is
    > where Cottonwood used to be, at Berkeley and St. James.
    >
    > Felice
    >
    >

    Ah! I used to like Cottonwood. Had it survived until recently?
    I get downtown so infrequently now....

    --
    Jean B.

  6. #6
    Felice Guest

    Default Re: Tapas at Tico in Boston

    "Jean B." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Felice wrote:
    >> "Jean B." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>> Felice wrote:
    >>>> Went to Tico, Michael Schlow's newest, for margaritas Friday
    >>>> afternoon. The margs were great but the small plates (they offer
    >>>> about thirty or so) were fantastic. We overstuffed ourselves on
    >>>> these:
    >>>> lobster and avocado tacos
    >>>> fried shrimp with pickled jalapenos on tiny toasts
    >>>> mac & cheese with serrano ham and bread crumbs
    >>>> fried Manchego cheese with pomegranate honey sauce
    >>>> sweet corn with bacon, chiles and Thai basil
    >>>> snap peas with orange zest and Tabasco butter
    >>>>
    >>>> Needless to say, that was our dinner.
    >>>>
    >>>> Felice

    >>
    >>> Hmmmm. I LOVE tapas... and haven't had them for a really long
    >>> time.

    >>
    >> Jean, you should give this a go next time you're in town. Tico is
    >> where Cottonwood used to be, at Berkeley and St. James.
    >>
    >> Felice
    >>
    >>

    > Ah! I used to like Cottonwood. Had it survived until recently?
    > I get downtown so infrequently now....
    > --
    > Jean B.


    It closed down within the past six months or so, I believe, and Tico
    took its place. I loved Cottonwood and do miss it, though.

    Felice




  7. #7
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: Tapas at Tico in Boston

    On Sun, 7 Aug 2011 15:51:28 -0400, Felice wrote:

    > Went to Tico, Michael Schlow's newest, for margaritas Friday
    > afternoon. The margs were great but the small plates (they offer about
    > thirty or so) were fantastic. We overstuffed ourselves on these:
    >
    > lobster and avocado tacos
    > fried shrimp with pickled jalapenos on tiny toasts
    > mac & cheese with serrano ham and bread crumbs
    > fried Manchego cheese with pomegranate honey sauce
    > sweet corn with bacon, chiles and Thai basil
    > snap peas with orange zest and Tabasco butter
    >
    > Needless to say, that was our dinner.


    Tapas is becoming a very overused word. Even mediocre bars are now
    serving "tapas". You know, chicken wings, french fries, deep fried
    mushrooms, shot glasses full of peanuts, sliders, etc... You know,
    typical tapas. <sigh>

    -sw

  8. #8
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: Tapas at Tico in Boston

    On Tue, 09 Aug 2011 22:33:06 -0400, Jean B. wrote:

    > Hmmmm. I LOVE tapas... and haven't had them for a really long time.


    Everything and anything are tapas nowadays. Even French fries and
    onion rings. And apparently mac and cheese, too. You can even go to
    Golden Corral and have tapas. Just use small plates and get small
    portions (I wouldn't be surprised if even THEY start advertising AYCE
    tapas).

    -sw

  9. #9
    Jean B. Guest

    Default Re: Tapas at Tico in Boston

    Felice wrote:
    > "Jean B." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Felice wrote:
    >>> "Jean B." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>> news:[email protected]
    >>>> Felice wrote:
    >>>>> Went to Tico, Michael Schlow's newest, for margaritas Friday
    >>>>> afternoon. The margs were great but the small plates (they offer
    >>>>> about thirty or so) were fantastic. We overstuffed ourselves on
    >>>>> these:
    >>>>> lobster and avocado tacos
    >>>>> fried shrimp with pickled jalapenos on tiny toasts
    >>>>> mac & cheese with serrano ham and bread crumbs
    >>>>> fried Manchego cheese with pomegranate honey sauce
    >>>>> sweet corn with bacon, chiles and Thai basil
    >>>>> snap peas with orange zest and Tabasco butter
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Needless to say, that was our dinner.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Felice
    >>>> Hmmmm. I LOVE tapas... and haven't had them for a really long
    >>>> time.
    >>> Jean, you should give this a go next time you're in town. Tico is
    >>> where Cottonwood used to be, at Berkeley and St. James.
    >>>
    >>> Felice
    >>>
    >>>

    >> Ah! I used to like Cottonwood. Had it survived until recently?
    >> I get downtown so infrequently now....
    >> --
    >> Jean B.

    >
    > It closed down within the past six months or so, I believe, and Tico
    > took its place. I loved Cottonwood and do miss it, though.
    >
    > Felice
    >

    Oh, wow! Cottonwood was around for a LONG time then. I am sorry
    I hadn't been there for years, thinking it MUST be gone. I
    started eating there when it was in Porter Sq. and even went there
    with my infant daughter. (Yeah, if she'd started squawking, I
    would have been out of there.)

    --
    Jean B.

  10. #10
    Jean B. Guest

    Default Re: Tapas at Tico in Boston

    Sqwertz wrote:
    > On Sun, 7 Aug 2011 15:51:28 -0400, Felice wrote:
    >
    >> Went to Tico, Michael Schlow's newest, for margaritas Friday
    >> afternoon. The margs were great but the small plates (they offer about
    >> thirty or so) were fantastic. We overstuffed ourselves on these:
    >>
    >> lobster and avocado tacos
    >> fried shrimp with pickled jalapenos on tiny toasts
    >> mac & cheese with serrano ham and bread crumbs
    >> fried Manchego cheese with pomegranate honey sauce
    >> sweet corn with bacon, chiles and Thai basil
    >> snap peas with orange zest and Tabasco butter
    >>
    >> Needless to say, that was our dinner.

    >
    > Tapas is becoming a very overused word. Even mediocre bars are now
    > serving "tapas". You know, chicken wings, french fries, deep fried
    > mushrooms, shot glasses full of peanuts, sliders, etc... You know,
    > typical tapas. <sigh>
    >
    > -sw


    I wouldn't be too thrilled to go somewhere expecting tapas only to
    get that type of thing.

    --
    Jean B.

  11. #11
    Jean B. Guest

    Default Re: Tapas at Tico in Boston

    Sqwertz wrote:
    > On Tue, 09 Aug 2011 22:33:06 -0400, Jean B. wrote:
    >
    >> Hmmmm. I LOVE tapas... and haven't had them for a really long time.

    >
    > Everything and anything are tapas nowadays. Even French fries and
    > onion rings. And apparently mac and cheese, too. You can even go to
    > Golden Corral and have tapas. Just use small plates and get small
    > portions (I wouldn't be surprised if even THEY start advertising AYCE
    > tapas).
    >
    > -sw



    LOL! I guess I will stick to places where I can expect real
    Spanish tapas.

    --
    Jean B.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32