Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: sweet potato pie - recipe

  1. #1
    sf Guest

    Default sweet potato pie - recipe


    I'm wondering if graham cracker crust is traditional (or not) for
    sweet potato pie. I definitely want to make one this year and see
    what it's all about. Maybe I should make a pumpkin pie too so I can
    do a side by side taste test.


    Sweet Potato Pie
    <http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/best-sweet-potato-pie?backto=true&backtourl=/photogallery/thanksgiving-pies#slide_6>

    Prep: 30 minutes | Total: 1 hour 30 minutes

    This Southern classic is a great alternative to pumpkin pie. The
    custard filling is creamier and less dense, as well as brighter in
    color. Top with whipped cream.

    Ingredients

    Serves 6.

    10 graham crackers (or 1 1/3 cups graham-cracker crumbs)
    3 tablespoons sugar
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    Pinch salt
    5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

    3 large eggs
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 3/4 cups Sweet-Potato Puree
    1/2 cup half-and-half
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground allspice


    Directions

    Preheat oven to 350 degrees with rack on lowest shelf.

    Make crust: In a food processor, pulse graham crackers, sugar, ginger,
    and salt until finely ground. Add butter; pulse until mixture forms
    large, moist crumbs. Press crust into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch
    pie plate.

    Make filling: In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and sugar until
    combined. Add sweet-potato purée, half-and-half, lemon juice,
    vanilla, salt, and allspice; whisk until completely smooth. Pour
    filling into crust; smooth top with a rubber spatula.

    Place pie on a baking sheet, and bake until filling is set, 40 to 50
    minutes. Transfer pie to a wire rack to cool completely, about 2
    hours. Pie can be prepared up to a day ahead and refrigerated; serve
    chilled or at room temperature.

    --

    Never trust a dog to watch your food.

  2. #2
    Janet Wilder Guest

    Default Re: sweet potato pie - recipe

    On 11/11/2010 8:12 PM, sf wrote:
    >
    > I'm wondering if graham cracker crust is traditional (or not) for
    > sweet potato pie. I definitely want to make one this year and see
    > what it's all about. Maybe I should make a pumpkin pie too so I can
    > do a side by side taste test.
    >
    >
    > Sweet Potato Pie
    > <http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/best-sweet-potato-pie?backto=true&backtourl=/photogallery/thanksgiving-pies#slide_6>
    >
    > Prep: 30 minutes | Total: 1 hour 30 minutes
    >
    > This Southern classic is a great alternative to pumpkin pie. The
    > custard filling is creamier and less dense, as well as brighter in
    > color. Top with whipped cream.
    >
    > Ingredients
    >
    > Serves 6.
    >
    > 10 graham crackers (or 1 1/3 cups graham-cracker crumbs)
    > 3 tablespoons sugar
    > 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    > Pinch salt
    > 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
    >
    > 3 large eggs
    > 1/2 cup sugar
    > 1 3/4 cups Sweet-Potato Puree
    > 1/2 cup half-and-half
    > 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    > 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    > 1 teaspoon salt
    > 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
    >
    >
    > Directions
    >
    > Preheat oven to 350 degrees with rack on lowest shelf.
    >
    > Make crust: In a food processor, pulse graham crackers, sugar, ginger,
    > and salt until finely ground. Add butter; pulse until mixture forms
    > large, moist crumbs. Press crust into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch
    > pie plate.
    >
    > Make filling: In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and sugar until
    > combined. Add sweet-potato purée, half-and-half, lemon juice,
    > vanilla, salt, and allspice; whisk until completely smooth. Pour
    > filling into crust; smooth top with a rubber spatula.
    >
    > Place pie on a baking sheet, and bake until filling is set, 40 to 50
    > minutes. Transfer pie to a wire rack to cool completely, about 2
    > hours. Pie can be prepared up to a day ahead and refrigerated; serve
    > chilled or at room temperature.
    >


    Yours sounds interesting. This is the favorite around here.


    * Exported from MasterCook *

    Sweet Potato Pie

    Recipe By :Jeff Smith
    Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : pies

    Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 cups sweet potato -- cooked, peeled & mashed
    4 tablespoons butter
    3 eggs -- beaten
    1 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    1/2 cup bourbon
    1 pie crust -- unbaked

    Boil the sweet potatoes until very tender, then peel and mash them well.
    Mix all ingredients together and place in an unbaked pie shell.

    Place in a 400 degree oven and immediately turn the oven to 325 degrees.

    Bake for about 45 minutes or until the center of the pie is set. Test
    this by inserting a table knife into the center of the pie. If it comes
    out clean, the pie is finished.

    Serve with whipped cream or ice cream on top.

    Description:
    "The one with the bourbon"
    Source:
    ""The Frugal Gourmet Coooks American""
    Copyright:
    "1987 The Frugal Gourmet"


    NOTES : Any left over filling can be baked in a baking dish and served
    as a pudding.




    --
    Janet Wilder
    Way-the-heck-south Texas
    Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

  3. #3
    sf Guest

    Default Re: sweet potato pie - recipe


    Bourbon? KEWL! That's as decadent as Kahlua in pecan pie.
    Snipped and saved, thanks!

    ```````````````````````

    On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 22:20:10 -0600, Janet Wilder
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Sweet Potato Pie
    >
    > Recipe By :Jeff Smith
    > Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
    > Categories : pies
    >
    > Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    > -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    > 2 cups sweet potato -- cooked, peeled & mashed
    > 4 tablespoons butter
    > 3 eggs -- beaten
    > 1 cup sugar
    > 1 teaspoon vanilla
    > 1 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
    > 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    > 1/2 cup bourbon
    > 1 pie crust -- unbaked
    >
    > Boil the sweet potatoes until very tender, then peel and mash them well.
    > Mix all ingredients together and place in an unbaked pie shell.
    >
    > Place in a 400 degree oven and immediately turn the oven to 325 degrees.
    >
    > Bake for about 45 minutes or until the center of the pie is set. Test
    > this by inserting a table knife into the center of the pie. If it comes
    > out clean, the pie is finished.
    >
    > Serve with whipped cream or ice cream on top.
    >
    > Description:
    > "The one with the bourbon"
    > Source:
    > ""The Frugal Gourmet Coooks American""
    > Copyright:
    > "1987 The Frugal Gourmet"
    >
    >
    > NOTES : Any left over filling can be baked in a baking dish and served
    > as a pudding.



    --

    Never trust a dog to watch your food.

  4. #4
    notbob Guest

    Default Re: sweet potato pie - recipe

    On 2010-11-12, sf <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > Bourbon? KEWL! That's as decadent as Kahlua in pecan pie.
    > Snipped and saved, thanks!


    > ```````````````````````


    >> 1/2 cup bourbon



    Another tip you folks might want to add and the story behind it:

    I made my first sweet potato pie and brought samples to my black
    friends, who had introduced naive pumpkin-bumpkin me to this awesome
    dessert. They gave me an A for effort, but said my pie lacked much,
    which I knew, it being my first effort. I began to explain my
    approach, but never got past "Well, I peeled a buncha sweet
    potatoes....", before being universally laughed down. They all
    consoled me and then explained how no one in their right mind ever
    used sweet potatoes. A GOOD sweet potato pie was properly made with
    yams! More specifically, red garnet yams.

    Technically, I guess, a garnet yam IS a sweet potato, and visa versa,
    but they are typically sold separately as red or garnet YAMS, not to
    be confused with the more common yellow sweet potato. This
    distinction has served me well and I've used them ever since, with
    much success.

    nb

    PS: when did we start top posting, sf?

  5. #5
    Wayne Boatwright Guest

    Default Re: sweet potato pie - recipe

    On Fri 12 Nov 2010 05:05:52a, notbob told us...

    > On 2010-11-12, sf <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> Bourbon? KEWL! That's as decadent as Kahlua in pecan pie.
    >> Snipped and saved, thanks!

    >
    >> ```````````````````````

    >
    >>> 1/2 cup bourbon

    >
    >
    > Another tip you folks might want to add and the story behind it:
    >
    > I made my first sweet potato pie and brought samples to my black
    > friends, who had introduced naive pumpkin-bumpkin me to this

    awesome
    > dessert. They gave me an A for effort, but said my pie lacked

    much,
    > which I knew, it being my first effort. I began to explain my
    > approach, but never got past "Well, I peeled a buncha sweet
    > potatoes....", before being universally laughed down. They all
    > consoled me and then explained how no one in their right mind ever
    > used sweet potatoes. A GOOD sweet potato pie was properly made

    with
    > yams! More specifically, red garnet yams.
    >
    > Technically, I guess, a garnet yam IS a sweet potato, and visa

    versa,
    > but they are typically sold separately as red or garnet YAMS, not

    to
    > be confused with the more common yellow sweet potato. This
    > distinction has served me well and I've used them ever since, with
    > much success.


    I think it's a given that red garnet yams make the best "sweet potato
    pie". One more thing... You didn't mention cooking method and I
    didn't see the posted recipe, but most folks in the south would
    grease the skins and roast those yams in a moderately slow oven
    (325°) until the juices begin to caramelize. Cool, then peel and
    mash. It adds a whole other dimension to the flavor.

    --

    ~~ If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it. ~~

    ~~ A mind is a terrible thing to lose. ~~

    ************************************************** ********

    Wayne Boatwright


  6. #6
    Jean B. Guest

    Default Re: sweet potato pie - recipe

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    > On Fri 12 Nov 2010 05:05:52a, notbob told us...
    >
    >> On 2010-11-12, sf <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>> Bourbon? KEWL! That's as decadent as Kahlua in pecan pie.
    >>> Snipped and saved, thanks!
    >>> ```````````````````````
    >>>> 1/2 cup bourbon

    >>
    >> Another tip you folks might want to add and the story behind it:
    >>
    >> I made my first sweet potato pie and brought samples to my black
    >> friends, who had introduced naive pumpkin-bumpkin me to this

    > awesome
    >> dessert. They gave me an A for effort, but said my pie lacked

    > much,
    >> which I knew, it being my first effort. I began to explain my
    >> approach, but never got past "Well, I peeled a buncha sweet
    >> potatoes....", before being universally laughed down. They all
    >> consoled me and then explained how no one in their right mind ever
    >> used sweet potatoes. A GOOD sweet potato pie was properly made

    > with
    >> yams! More specifically, red garnet yams.
    >>
    >> Technically, I guess, a garnet yam IS a sweet potato, and visa

    > versa,
    >> but they are typically sold separately as red or garnet YAMS, not

    > to
    >> be confused with the more common yellow sweet potato. This
    >> distinction has served me well and I've used them ever since, with
    >> much success.

    >
    > I think it's a given that red garnet yams make the best "sweet potato
    > pie". One more thing... You didn't mention cooking method and I
    > didn't see the posted recipe, but most folks in the south would
    > grease the skins and roast those yams in a moderately slow oven
    > (325°) until the juices begin to caramelize. Cool, then peel and
    > mash. It adds a whole other dimension to the flavor.
    >

    I am thinking of making up the missing oz in the pumpkin can with
    roasted garnet yam.

    --
    Jean B.

  7. #7
    sf Guest

    Default Re: sweet potato pie - recipe

    On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 12:05:52 GMT, notbob <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On 2010-11-12, sf <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > Bourbon? KEWL! That's as decadent as Kahlua in pecan pie.
    > > Snipped and saved, thanks!

    >
    > > ```````````````````````


    > A GOOD sweet potato pie was properly made with
    > yams! More specifically, red garnet yams.


    >Technically, I guess, a garnet yam IS a sweet potato, and visa versa,
    > but they are typically sold separately as red or garnet YAMS, not to
    > be confused with the more common yellow sweet potato. This
    > distinction has served me well and I've used them ever since, with
    > much success.
    >

    Fabulous tip, thanks! I'll add that note to my collection of *two*
    sweet potato pie recipes ASAP.
    >
    > PS: when did we start top posting, sf?


    1. I prefer top posting, but mainly bottom post because that seems to
    be the culture here.

    2. If I don't trim properly, I prefer to top post. No need to make
    people who have read it already skim through all the repeated text (in
    this case, a recipe - which is the one thing I hate to trim) just to
    get to a few words from me.

    --

    Never trust a dog to watch your food.

  8. #8
    sf Guest

    Default Re: sweet potato pie - recipe

    On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 15:03:24 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I think it's a given that red garnet yams make the best "sweet potato
    > pie". One more thing... You didn't mention cooking method and I
    > didn't see the posted recipe, but most folks in the south would
    > grease the skins and roast those yams in a moderately slow oven
    > (325°) until the juices begin to caramelize. Cool, then peel and
    > mash. It adds a whole other dimension to the flavor.


    The little secrets are slowly emerging.... many thanks for that tip
    too, Wayne! <scribble, scribble> How do you gauge how many yams make
    2 cups mashed, Wayne? Do you go by pounds or eyeball it in terms of
    size?

    --

    Never trust a dog to watch your food.

  9. #9
    notbob Guest

    Default Re: sweet potato pie - recipe

    On 2010-11-12, sf <[email protected]> wrote:

    > 1. I prefer top posting, but mainly bottom post because that seems to
    > be the culture here.


    It's not the "culture here", it's the standardized and accepted format
    since the beginning of Usenet (newsgroups) time. As usual, Microsoft
    has co-opted it, changing it solely cuz they can, knowing M$ sheep
    will follow.

    nb

  10. #10
    sf Guest

    Default Re: sweet potato pie - recipe

    On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 17:00:35 GMT, notbob <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On 2010-11-12, sf <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > 1. I prefer top posting, but mainly bottom post because that seems to
    > > be the culture here.

    >
    > It's not the "culture here", it's the standardized and accepted format
    > since the beginning of Usenet (newsgroups) time. As usual, Microsoft
    > has co-opted it, changing it solely cuz they can, knowing M$ sheep
    > will follow.
    >

    It's the culture here. Participants in other news groups don't "care"
    like certain people in this one do and you will find top posting with
    no remarks made about it afterward.

    --

    Never trust a dog to watch your food.

  11. #11
    notbob Guest

    Default Re: sweet potato pie - recipe

    On 2010-11-12, sf <[email protected]> wrote:

    > It's the culture here. Participants in other news groups don't "care"
    > like certain people in this one do and you will find top posting with
    > no remarks made about it afterward.


    Baa-a-a-a-a!

  12. #12
    Wayne Boatwright Guest

    Default Re: sweet potato pie - recipe

    On Fri 12 Nov 2010 09:03:07a, Jean B. told us...

    > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    >> On Fri 12 Nov 2010 05:05:52a, notbob told us...
    >>
    >>> On 2010-11-12, sf <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>>> Bourbon? KEWL! That's as decadent as Kahlua in pecan pie.
    >>>> Snipped and saved, thanks! ```````````````````````
    >>>>> 1/2 cup bourbon
    >>>
    >>> Another tip you folks might want to add and the story behind it:
    >>>
    >>> I made my first sweet potato pie and brought samples to my black
    >>> friends, who had introduced naive pumpkin-bumpkin me to this
    >>> awesome dessert. They gave me an A for effort, but said my pie
    >>> lacked much, which I knew, it being my first effort. I began
    >>> to explain my approach, but never got past "Well, I peeled a
    >>> buncha sweet potatoes....", before being universally laughed
    >>> down. They all consoled me and then explained how no one in
    >>> their right mind ever used sweet potatoes. A GOOD sweet potato
    >>> pie was properly made with yams! More specifically, red garnet
    >>> yams.
    >>>
    >>> Technically, I guess, a garnet yam IS a sweet potato, and visa
    >>> versa, but they are typically sold separately as red or garnet
    >>> YAMS, not to be confused with the more common yellow sweet
    >>> potato. This distinction has served me well and I've used them
    >>> ever since, with much success.

    >>
    >> I think it's a given that red garnet yams make the best "sweet
    >> potato pie". One more thing... You didn't mention cooking
    >> method and I didn't see the posted recipe, but most folks in the
    >> south would grease the skins and roast those yams in a moderately
    >> slow oven (325°) until the juices begin to caramelize. Cool,
    >> then peel and mash. It adds a whole other dimension to the
    >> flavor.
    >>

    > I am thinking of making up the missing oz in the pumpkin can with
    > roasted garnet yam.
    >


    Sounbds like a good idea, Jean!

    --

    ~~ If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it. ~~

    ~~ A mind is a terrible thing to lose. ~~

    ************************************************** ********

    Wayne Boatwright


  13. #13
    Wayne Boatwright Guest

    Default Re: sweet potato pie - recipe

    On Fri 12 Nov 2010 09:12:05a, sf told us...

    > On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 15:03:24 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> I think it's a given that red garnet yams make the best "sweet
    >> potato pie". One more thing... You didn't mention cooking
    >> method and I didn't see the posted recipe, but most folks in the
    >> south would grease the skins and roast those yams in a moderately
    >> slow oven (325°) until the juices begin to caramelize. Cool,
    >> then peel and mash. It adds a whole other dimension to the
    >> flavor.

    >
    > The little secrets are slowly emerging.... many thanks for that
    > tip too, Wayne! <scribble, scribble> How do you gauge how many
    > yams make 2 cups mashed, Wayne? Do you go by pounds or eyeball it
    > in terms of size?
    >


    I always roast about a pound and a half, erring on too much than not
    enough. You can always eat the excess. :-) Part of the reason for
    that is the variance in moisture content in the yams. If they are
    very moist, it will yield less in volume.

    --

    ~~ If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it. ~~

    ~~ A mind is a terrible thing to lose. ~~

    ************************************************** ********

    Wayne Boatwright


  14. #14
    Jean B. Guest

    Default Re: sweet potato pie - recipe

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    > On Fri 12 Nov 2010 09:03:07a, Jean B. told us...
    >
    >> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    >>> On Fri 12 Nov 2010 05:05:52a, notbob told us...
    >>>
    >>>> On 2010-11-12, sf <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>>>> Bourbon? KEWL! That's as decadent as Kahlua in pecan pie.
    >>>>> Snipped and saved, thanks! ```````````````````````
    >>>>>> 1/2 cup bourbon
    >>>> Another tip you folks might want to add and the story behind it:
    >>>>
    >>>> I made my first sweet potato pie and brought samples to my black
    >>>> friends, who had introduced naive pumpkin-bumpkin me to this
    >>>> awesome dessert. They gave me an A for effort, but said my pie
    >>>> lacked much, which I knew, it being my first effort. I began
    >>>> to explain my approach, but never got past "Well, I peeled a
    >>>> buncha sweet potatoes....", before being universally laughed
    >>>> down. They all consoled me and then explained how no one in
    >>>> their right mind ever used sweet potatoes. A GOOD sweet potato
    >>>> pie was properly made with yams! More specifically, red garnet
    >>>> yams.
    >>>>
    >>>> Technically, I guess, a garnet yam IS a sweet potato, and visa
    >>>> versa, but they are typically sold separately as red or garnet
    >>>> YAMS, not to be confused with the more common yellow sweet
    >>>> potato. This distinction has served me well and I've used them
    >>>> ever since, with much success.
    >>> I think it's a given that red garnet yams make the best "sweet
    >>> potato pie". One more thing... You didn't mention cooking
    >>> method and I didn't see the posted recipe, but most folks in the
    >>> south would grease the skins and roast those yams in a moderately
    >>> slow oven (325°) until the juices begin to caramelize. Cool,
    >>> then peel and mash. It adds a whole other dimension to the
    >>> flavor.
    >>>

    >> I am thinking of making up the missing oz in the pumpkin can with
    >> roasted garnet yam.
    >>

    >
    > Sounbds like a good idea, Jean!
    >

    I read about adding some sweet potato/yam to pumpkin pie recipes.
    It is supposed to make them even better than usual. And that
    missing ounce if just begging for this treatment.

    --
    Jean B.

  15. #15
    Wayne Boatwright Guest

    Default Re: sweet potato pie - recipe

    On Fri 12 Nov 2010 08:12:42p, Jean B. told us...

    > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    >> On Fri 12 Nov 2010 09:03:07a, Jean B. told us...
    >>
    >>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    >>>> On Fri 12 Nov 2010 05:05:52a, notbob told us...
    >>>>
    >>>>> On 2010-11-12, sf <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>>>>> Bourbon? KEWL! That's as decadent as Kahlua in pecan pie.
    >>>>>> Snipped and saved, thanks! ```````````````````````
    >>>>>>> 1/2 cup bourbon
    >>>>> Another tip you folks might want to add and the story behind

    it:
    >>>>>
    >>>>> I made my first sweet potato pie and brought samples to my

    black
    >>>>> friends, who had introduced naive pumpkin-bumpkin me to this
    >>>>> awesome dessert. They gave me an A for effort, but said my pie
    >>>>> lacked much, which I knew, it being my first effort. I began
    >>>>> to explain my approach, but never got past "Well, I peeled a
    >>>>> buncha sweet potatoes....", before being universally laughed
    >>>>> down. They all consoled me and then explained how no one in
    >>>>> their right mind ever used sweet potatoes. A GOOD sweet potato
    >>>>> pie was properly made with yams! More specifically, red

    garnet
    >>>>> yams.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Technically, I guess, a garnet yam IS a sweet potato, and visa
    >>>>> versa, but they are typically sold separately as red or garnet
    >>>>> YAMS, not to be confused with the more common yellow sweet
    >>>>> potato. This distinction has served me well and I've used them
    >>>>> ever since, with much success.
    >>>> I think it's a given that red garnet yams make the best "sweet
    >>>> potato pie". One more thing... You didn't mention cooking
    >>>> method and I didn't see the posted recipe, but most folks in the
    >>>> south would grease the skins and roast those yams in a

    moderately
    >>>> slow oven (325°) until the juices begin to caramelize. Cool,

    then
    >>>> peel and mash. It adds a whole other dimension to the flavor.
    >>>>
    >>> I am thinking of making up the missing oz in the pumpkin can with
    >>> roasted garnet yam.
    >>>

    >>
    >> Sounbds like a good idea, Jean!
    >>

    > I read about adding some sweet potato/yam to pumpkin pie recipes.
    > It is supposed to make them even better than usual. And that
    > missing ounce if just begging for this treatment.
    >


    Well, one ounce might not make much difference in making it better,
    but it's the perfect way to finish out the total required amount.

    I've never tried the combination myself, but if I were to try it, I'd
    probably use 2/3 pumpkin and 1/3 yams to see a significant
    difference.

    Having said that, I consider pumpkin pie and sweet potato pie
    distinctly different in both flavor, spicing,m and texture, so would
    probably not be inclined to combine them unless I have a shortage of
    one or the other as you do.

    At the moment I have enough fresh roasted pumpkin to make six pies,
    so will have plenty for the holidays. I will probably make a sweet
    potato pie for Christmas, along with a pecan pie.

    --

    ~~ If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it. ~~

    ~~ A mind is a terrible thing to lose. ~~

    ************************************************** ********

    Wayne Boatwright


  16. #16
    kattima Guest

    Default Re: sweet potato pie - recipe


    Southern Sweet Potato Pie:

    51 min 30 min prep
    8 servings

    2 cups sweet potatoes, mashed, cooked
    3/4 cup sugar
    2 tablespoons molasses (optional)
    2 eggs
    1 1/2 teaspoons nutmeg
    1 teaspoon powdered ginger
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1 tablespoon orange zest
    2 tablespoons butter, melted
    1 1/2 cups milk, cream or evaporated milk

    # Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
    # Line a pie pan with rolled out dough, prick all over with fork, then
    press a piece of heavy-duty foil directly into the pie shell.
    # Bake for 6 minutes, remove foil and bake for 4 more minutes, until
    just beginning to brown.
    # Combine the sweet potatoes and sugar in a large bowl, then beat in
    molasses and eggs.
    # Add the spices and orange zest and stir well.
    # Stir in melted butter and milk.
    # Pour into pie shell.
    # Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 300 degrees F and continue
    baking for 30-40 minutes, or until filling is firm around edges but
    center remains slightly soft and quivers when you move the pie.




    --
    kattima

  17. #17
    Jean B. Guest

    Default Re: sweet potato pie - recipe

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    > On Fri 12 Nov 2010 08:12:42p, Jean B. told us...
    >
    >> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    >>> On Fri 12 Nov 2010 09:03:07a, Jean B. told us...
    >>>
    >>>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    >>>>> On Fri 12 Nov 2010 05:05:52a, notbob told us...
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> On 2010-11-12, sf <sf@geemail[email protected]> wrote:
    >>>>>>> Bourbon? KEWL! That's as decadent as Kahlua in pecan pie.
    >>>>>>> Snipped and saved, thanks! ```````````````````````
    >>>>>>>> 1/2 cup bourbon
    >>>>>> Another tip you folks might want to add and the story behind

    > it:
    >>>>>> I made my first sweet potato pie and brought samples to my

    > black
    >>>>>> friends, who had introduced naive pumpkin-bumpkin me to this
    >>>>>> awesome dessert. They gave me an A for effort, but said my pie
    >>>>>> lacked much, which I knew, it being my first effort. I began
    >>>>>> to explain my approach, but never got past "Well, I peeled a
    >>>>>> buncha sweet potatoes....", before being universally laughed
    >>>>>> down. They all consoled me and then explained how no one in
    >>>>>> their right mind ever used sweet potatoes. A GOOD sweet potato
    >>>>>> pie was properly made with yams! More specifically, red

    > garnet
    >>>>>> yams.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Technically, I guess, a garnet yam IS a sweet potato, and visa
    >>>>>> versa, but they are typically sold separately as red or garnet
    >>>>>> YAMS, not to be confused with the more common yellow sweet
    >>>>>> potato. This distinction has served me well and I've used them
    >>>>>> ever since, with much success.
    >>>>> I think it's a given that red garnet yams make the best "sweet
    >>>>> potato pie". One more thing... You didn't mention cooking
    >>>>> method and I didn't see the posted recipe, but most folks in the
    >>>>> south would grease the skins and roast those yams in a

    > moderately
    >>>>> slow oven (325°) until the juices begin to caramelize. Cool,

    > then
    >>>>> peel and mash. It adds a whole other dimension to the flavor.
    >>>>>
    >>>> I am thinking of making up the missing oz in the pumpkin can with
    >>>> roasted garnet yam.
    >>>>
    >>> Sounbds like a good idea, Jean!
    >>>

    >> I read about adding some sweet potato/yam to pumpkin pie recipes.
    >> It is supposed to make them even better than usual. And that
    >> missing ounce if just begging for this treatment.
    >>

    >
    > Well, one ounce might not make much difference in making it better,
    > but it's the perfect way to finish out the total required amount.
    >
    > I've never tried the combination myself, but if I were to try it, I'd
    > probably use 2/3 pumpkin and 1/3 yams to see a significant
    > difference.
    >
    > Having said that, I consider pumpkin pie and sweet potato pie
    > distinctly different in both flavor, spicing,m and texture, so would
    > probably not be inclined to combine them unless I have a shortage of
    > one or the other as you do.
    >
    > At the moment I have enough fresh roasted pumpkin to make six pies,
    > so will have plenty for the holidays. I will probably make a sweet
    > potato pie for Christmas, along with a pecan pie.
    >

    I MUST make the usual pumpkin chiffon pie, or my daughter will
    kill me! I will report on the addition of yam. I do want the pie
    to be mostly pumpkin though....

    --
    Jean B.

  18. #18
    sf Guest

    Default Re: sweet potato pie - recipe

    On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 22:12:42 -0500, "Jean B." <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I read about adding some sweet potato/yam to pumpkin pie recipes.
    > It is supposed to make them even better than usual. And that
    > missing ounce if just begging for this treatment.


    Good idea! Are you volunteering to be the before Thanksgiving guinea
    pig to try it and report back or are we on our own?

    --

    Never trust a dog to watch your food.

  19. #19
    Jean B. Guest

    Default Re: sweet potato pie - recipe

    sf wrote:
    > On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 22:12:42 -0500, "Jean B." <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> I read about adding some sweet potato/yam to pumpkin pie recipes.
    >> It is supposed to make them even better than usual. And that
    >> missing ounce if just begging for this treatment.

    >
    > Good idea! Are you volunteering to be the before Thanksgiving guinea
    > pig to try it and report back or are we on our own?
    >

    No, not before THE day. I can't see how it would not be just
    fine--or better.

    --
    Jean B.

  20. #20
    Wayne Boatwright Guest

    Default Re: sweet potato pie - recipe

    On Sat 13 Nov 2010 07:33:23a, Jean B. told us...

    > I MUST make the usual pumpkin chiffon pie, or my daughter will
    > kill me! I will report on the addition of yam. I do want the pie
    > to be mostly pumpkin though....


    Understood, and that should work well. I would think that having the
    *exact* amount of the pumpkin/yam component would be more critical to a
    chiffon type of pie.

    I know quite a few people who like chiffon pies, however, I do not. My
    own preference is for heavy, more solid fillings.

    --

    ~~ If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it. ~~

    ~~ A mind is a terrible thing to lose. ~~

    ************************************************** ********

    Wayne Boatwright


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32