Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: sugar cookies with oil

  1. #1
    George M. Middius Guest

    Default sugar cookies with oil

    does anybody have access to a recipe from a '70s edition of Joy of
    Cooking? It had a recipe for "Sugar Drop Cookies with Oil" that was
    unique. Or at least the results were unique. The cookies came out
    light and crisp. I've been trying recipes I found on the Web and none
    of them yielded as nice a cookie.




  2. #2
    Nunya Bidnits Guest

    Default Re: sugar cookies with oil

    George M. Middius <[email protected]> wrote:
    > does anybody have access to a recipe from a '70s edition of Joy of
    > Cooking? It had a recipe for "Sugar Drop Cookies with Oil" that was
    > unique. Or at least the results were unique. The cookies came out
    > light and crisp. I've been trying recipes I found on the Web and none
    > of them yielded as nice a cookie.


    You're in luck.

    From Joy of Cooking, Rombauer, Becker, 1975, Bobb-Merrill Company Inc.:

    Preheat oven to 375.

    Sift together:
    2 1/2 cups sifted all purpose flour
    1 1/2 teasponns double acting baking powder
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon cinnamon or 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

    Combine:
    1 cup sugar
    3/4 cup vegetable oil

    Add to this mixture and beat well after each addition:
    2 eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla

    Add the flour mixture all at once and beat well. Shape the dough into 1/2
    inch balls. Dip the balls in
    Granulated Sugar
    or, flatten the balls as thin as you can between very lightly floured hands.
    To give a corrugated effect score them in parallel lines [illustration] with
    a fork dipped in flour.

    Sprinkle with:
    Granulated sugar

    Bake about 10 to 12 minutes on a lightly greased cookie sheet.



  3. #3
    Julie Bove Guest

    Default Re: sugar cookies with oil


    "George M. Middius" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > does anybody have access to a recipe from a '70s edition of Joy of
    > Cooking? It had a recipe for "Sugar Drop Cookies with Oil" that was
    > unique. Or at least the results were unique. The cookies came out
    > light and crisp. I've been trying recipes I found on the Web and none
    > of them yielded as nice a cookie.


    Could it be this?

    http://www.food.com/recipe/Grandmas-...-Cookies-11345



  4. #4
    Judy Haffner Guest

    Default Re: sugar cookies with oil


    George*M.*Middius wrote:

    >does anybody have access to a recipe
    > from a '70s edition of Joy of Cooking? It
    > had a recipe for "Sugar Drop Cookies
    > with Oil" that was unique. Or at least
    > the results were unique. The cookies
    > came out light and crisp. I've been trying
    > recipes I found on the Web and none of
    > them yielded as nice a cookie.


    The Joy Of Cooking edition I have came out in the 50's and the Sugar
    Drop Cookie recipe in there lists the ingredients as:
    1/2 cup butter
    6 tbsp. brown sugar
    6 tbsp. white sugar
    1 egg
    1/2 tsp. vanilla
    1 cup plus 2 tbsp. flour
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. baking soda

    Anyway this recipe doesn't call for oil.

    I've tried lots of recipes for drop sugar cookies over the years, and
    one that is very good and uses oil AND butter/margarine, so maybe you'd
    want to try those?

    Fairy Drop Cookies

    1 cup cooking oil
    1 cup butter, or margarine
    1 cup granulated sugar
    1 cup powdered sugar
    2 eggs
    4 cups plus 2 tbsp. flour
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1 tsp. cream of tartar
    1 tsp. salt (I cut in half)
    1 tsp. almond extract
    1 tsp. vanilla

    Mix all together and form into balls and place on ungreased cookie
    sheets and press down with the bottom of a glass, greased on the bottom
    and dipped in granulated sugar ( did it in the sugar for each cookie).
    Bake at 350 for 12 to 15 minutes. Makes A BIG batch, but they get
    eaten up quickly.

    Good Luck!

    Judy


  5. #5
    George M. Middius Guest

    Default Re: sugar cookies with oil

    Nunya Bidnits wrote:

    >George M. Middius <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> does anybody have access to a recipe from a '70s edition of Joy of
    >> Cooking? It had a recipe for "Sugar Drop Cookies with Oil" that was
    >> unique. Or at least the results were unique. The cookies came out
    >> light and crisp. I've been trying recipes I found on the Web and none
    >> of them yielded as nice a cookie.

    >
    >You're in luck.
    >
    >From Joy of Cooking, Rombauer, Becker, 1975, Bobb-Merrill Company Inc.:
    >
    >Preheat oven to 375.
    >
    >Sift together:
    >2 1/2 cups sifted all purpose flour
    >1 1/2 teasponns double acting baking powder
    >3/4 teaspoon salt
    >1 teaspoon cinnamon or 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
    >
    >Combine:
    >1 cup sugar
    >3/4 cup vegetable oil
    >
    >Add to this mixture and beat well after each addition:
    >2 eggs
    >1 teaspoon vanilla
    >
    >Add the flour mixture all at once and beat well. Shape the dough into 1/2
    >inch balls. Dip the balls in
    >Granulated Sugar
    >or, flatten the balls as thin as you can between very lightly floured hands.
    >To give a corrugated effect score them in parallel lines [illustration] with
    >a fork dipped in flour.
    >
    >Sprinkle with:
    >Granulated sugar
    >
    >Bake about 10 to 12 minutes on a lightly greased cookie sheet.
    >


    Thanks a bunch, Nun. Or is it Sister?


  6. #6
    George M. Middius Guest

    Default Re: sugar cookies with oil

    Judy Haffner wrote:

    >
    >George*M.*Middius wrote:
    >
    >>does anybody have access to a recipe
    >> from a '70s edition of Joy of Cooking? It
    >> had a recipe for "Sugar Drop Cookies
    >> with Oil" that was unique. Or at least
    >> the results were unique. The cookies
    >> came out light and crisp. I've been trying
    >> recipes I found on the Web and none of
    >> them yielded as nice a cookie.

    >
    >The Joy Of Cooking edition I have came out in the 50's and the Sugar
    >Drop Cookie recipe in there lists the ingredients as:
    >1/2 cup butter
    >6 tbsp. brown sugar
    >6 tbsp. white sugar
    >1 egg
    >1/2 tsp. vanilla
    >1 cup plus 2 tbsp. flour
    >1/2 tsp. salt
    >1/2 tsp. baking soda
    >
    >Anyway this recipe doesn't call for oil.
    >
    >I've tried lots of recipes for drop sugar cookies over the years, and
    >one that is very good and uses oil AND butter/margarine, so maybe you'd
    >want to try those?
    >
    >Fairy Drop Cookies
    >
    >1 cup cooking oil
    >1 cup butter, or margarine
    >1 cup granulated sugar
    >1 cup powdered sugar
    >2 eggs
    >4 cups plus 2 tbsp. flour
    >1 tsp. baking soda
    >1 tsp. cream of tartar
    >1 tsp. salt (I cut in half)
    >1 tsp. almond extract
    >1 tsp. vanilla
    >
    >Mix all together and form into balls and place on ungreased cookie
    >sheets and press down with the bottom of a glass, greased on the bottom
    >and dipped in granulated sugar ( did it in the sugar for each cookie).
    >Bake at 350 for 12 to 15 minutes. Makes A BIG batch, but they get
    >eaten up quickly.
    >
    >Good Luck!
    >
    >Judy


    Fairy Drop cookies? Really? Well, I'll give it a try, but without
    almond extract. Maybe orange or lemon instead.


  7. #7
    George M. Middius Guest

    Default Re: sugar cookies with oil

    Julie Bove wrote:

    >
    >"George M. Middius" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]. .
    >> does anybody have access to a recipe from a '70s edition of Joy of
    >> Cooking? It had a recipe for "Sugar Drop Cookies with Oil" that was
    >> unique. Or at least the results were unique. The cookies came out
    >> light and crisp. I've been trying recipes I found on the Web and none
    >> of them yielded as nice a cookie.

    >
    >Could it be this?
    >
    >http://www.food.com/recipe/Grandmas-...-Cookies-11345
    >


    Similar, isn't it? Most cookie recipes using soda rather than baking
    powder.


  8. #8
    Nunya Bidnits Guest

    Default Re: sugar cookies with oil

    George M. Middius <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Nunya Bidnits wrote:
    >
    >> George M. Middius <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>> does anybody have access to a recipe from a '70s edition of Joy of
    >>> Cooking? It had a recipe for "Sugar Drop Cookies with Oil" that was
    >>> unique. Or at least the results were unique. The cookies came out
    >>> light and crisp. I've been trying recipes I found on the Web and
    >>> none of them yielded as nice a cookie.

    >>
    >> You're in luck.
    >>
    >> From Joy of Cooking, Rombauer, Becker, 1975, Bobb-Merrill Company
    >> Inc.:
    >>
    >> Preheat oven to 375.
    >>
    >> Sift together:
    >> 2 1/2 cups sifted all purpose flour
    >> 1 1/2 teasponns double acting baking powder
    >> 3/4 teaspoon salt
    >> 1 teaspoon cinnamon or 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
    >>
    >> Combine:
    >> 1 cup sugar
    >> 3/4 cup vegetable oil
    >>
    >> Add to this mixture and beat well after each addition:
    >> 2 eggs
    >> 1 teaspoon vanilla
    >>
    >> Add the flour mixture all at once and beat well. Shape the dough
    >> into 1/2 inch balls. Dip the balls in
    >> Granulated Sugar
    >> or, flatten the balls as thin as you can between very lightly
    >> floured hands. To give a corrugated effect score them in parallel
    >> lines [illustration] with a fork dipped in flour.
    >>
    >> Sprinkle with:
    >> Granulated sugar
    >>
    >> Bake about 10 to 12 minutes on a lightly greased cookie sheet.
    >>

    >
    > Thanks a bunch, Nun. Or is it Sister?


    It's Mister Bidnits.

    Or, it's the way I sign my posts.

    MartyB



  9. #9
    Judy Haffner Guest

    Default Re: sugar cookies with oil


    George wrote:

    >Fairy Drop cookies? Really? Well, I'll
    > give it a try, but without almond extract.
    > Maybe orange or lemon instead.


    Lemon would make a good substitution, if you don't care for almond
    flavoring (I love it!) as I have made other drop sugar cookies, that
    call for lemon extract.

    When my grandchildren help me make them, they like to flatten them some
    with a fork and sprinkle the tops with multi-colored baking sprinkles.

    Judy


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32