Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Strawberry Chicken Stir-fry(?)

  1. #1
    blake murphy Guest

    Default Strawberry Chicken Stir-fry(?)

    i get an e-mail newlestter from rhonda parkinson about chinese food, which
    has links to her site at about.com. she's pretty good on the basics of
    chinese - sort of meat-and-potatoes chinese, if you will - but this one
    struck me as odd:

    <http://chinesefood.about.com/od/chickenrecipes/r/strawberry.htm?nl=1>

    ....but i thought i'd put it out there anyway.

    your pal,
    blake

  2. #2
    bulka Guest

    Default Re: Strawberry Chicken Stir-fry(?)


    >
    > <http://chinesefood.about.com/od/chickenrecipes/r/strawberry.htm?nl=1>
    >
    > ...but i thought i'd put it out there anyway.
    >

    I'm going have to try this. Probably too odd for my target audience.

    Waiting for the strawberries.

    Thanks, Blake

    B


  3. #3
    Sky Guest

    Default Re: Strawberry Chicken Stir-fry(?)

    blake murphy wrote:
    >
    > i get an e-mail newlestter from rhonda parkinson about chinese food, which
    > has links to her site at about.com. she's pretty good on the basics of
    > chinese - sort of meat-and-potatoes chinese, if you will - but this one
    > struck me as odd:
    >
    > <http://chinesefood.about.com/od/chickenrecipes/r/strawberry.htm?nl=1>
    >
    > ...but i thought i'd put it out there anyway.
    >
    > your pal,
    > blake


    The combination of chicken with strawberries does seem somewhat strange
    perhaps, but is it really any different, say, than pork with apricots or
    raspberries ? What about the combination of ham and pineapple? And,
    there's also chicken with lemon, beef with lime (fajitas), etc.

    Sky

    --
    Ultra Ultimate Kitchen Rule - Use the Timer!
    Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

  4. #4
    A Moose In Love Guest

    Default Re: Strawberry Chicken Stir-fry(?)

    On May 13, 1:46*pm, blake murphy <blakepmNOTT...@verizon.net> wrote:
    > i get an e-mail newlestter from rhonda parkinson about chinese food, which
    > has links to her site at about.com. *she's pretty good on the basics of
    > chinese - sort of meat-and-potatoes chinese, if you will - but this one
    > struck me as odd:
    >
    > <http://chinesefood.about.com/od/chickenrecipes/r/strawberry.htm?nl=1>
    >
    > ...but i thought i'd put it out there anyway.
    >
    > your pal,
    > blake


    I've done chicken with raspberry confit before as well as chicken with
    a mango sauce, but never with strawberries. I think it'll work. I'm
    still looking to perfect 'Mango Pudding' as per Apocylypse Now.
    Raspberry confit doesn't need to have raspberries slowly cooked in
    duck fat you know.

  5. #5
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Strawberry Chicken Stir-fry(?)

    On Thu, 13 May 2010 13:07:35 -0500, Sky <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > The combination of chicken with strawberries does seem somewhat strange
    > perhaps, but is it really any different, say, than pork with apricots or
    > raspberries ? What about the combination of ham and pineapple? And,
    > there's also chicken with lemon, beef with lime (fajitas), etc.


    "There is a small round, "hairy" looking, dark reddish thing they cook
    with in china that you look at and think "dried strawberry". It's not
    and I didn't find out what it's called, but that was the first thought
    I had when I encountered it for the first time.

    --
    Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

  6. #6
    merryb Guest

    Default Re: Strawberry Chicken Stir-fry(?)

    On May 13, 10:46*am, blake murphy <blakepmNOTT...@verizon.net> wrote:
    > i get an e-mail newlestter from rhonda parkinson about chinese food, which
    > has links to her site at about.com. *she's pretty good on the basics of
    > chinese - sort of meat-and-potatoes chinese, if you will - but this one
    > struck me as odd:
    >
    > <http://chinesefood.about.com/od/chickenrecipes/r/strawberry.htm?nl=1>
    >
    > ...but i thought i'd put it out there anyway.
    >
    > your pal,
    > blake


    So, are you going to try it?

  7. #7
    critters & me in azusa, ca Guest

    Default Re: Strawberry Chicken Stir-fry(?)

    On May 13, 10:46*am, blake murphy <blakepmNOTT...@verizon.net> wrote:
    > i get an e-mail newlestter from rhonda parkinson about chinese food, which
    > has links to her site at about.com. *she's pretty good on the basics of
    > chinese - sort of meat-and-potatoes chinese, if you will - but this one
    > struck me as odd:
    >
    > <http://chinesefood.about.com/od/chickenrecipes/r/strawberry.htm?nl=1>
    >
    > ...but i thought i'd put it out there anyway.
    >
    > your pal,
    > blake


    strawberries are in here in socal. i believe the annual strawberry
    festival is going to be held very soon in oxnard, ca.

    harriet & critters

  8. #8
    Steve Pope Guest

    Default Re: Strawberry Chicken Stir-fry(?)

    critters & me in azusa, ca <[email protected]> wrote:

    >strawberries are in here in socal.


    Strawberries are also here in norcal. And they are good.


    Steve

  9. #9
    blake murphy Guest

    Default Re: Strawberry Chicken Stir-fry(?)

    On Thu, 13 May 2010 10:57:19 -0700 (PDT), bulka wrote:

    >>
    >> <http://chinesefood.about.com/od/chickenrecipes/r/strawberry.htm?nl=1>
    >>
    >> ...but i thought i'd put it out there anyway.
    >>

    > I'm going have to try this. Probably too odd for my target audience.
    >
    > Waiting for the strawberries.
    >
    > Thanks, Blake
    >
    > B


    give a report if you do.

    your pal,
    blake

  10. #10
    blake murphy Guest

    Default Re: Strawberry Chicken Stir-fry(?)

    On Thu, 13 May 2010 13:07:35 -0500, Sky wrote:

    > blake murphy wrote:
    >>
    >> i get an e-mail newlestter from rhonda parkinson about chinese food, which
    >> has links to her site at about.com. she's pretty good on the basics of
    >> chinese - sort of meat-and-potatoes chinese, if you will - but this one
    >> struck me as odd:
    >>
    >> <http://chinesefood.about.com/od/chickenrecipes/r/strawberry.htm?nl=1>
    >>
    >> ...but i thought i'd put it out there anyway.
    >>
    >> your pal,
    >> blake

    >
    > The combination of chicken with strawberries does seem somewhat strange
    > perhaps, but is it really any different, say, than pork with apricots or
    > raspberries ? What about the combination of ham and pineapple? And,
    > there's also chicken with lemon, beef with lime (fajitas), etc.
    >
    > Sky


    yeah, i know there are sometimes fruits in chinese stir-fries, but when i
    think of that i think bitter melon or something like that (not that i've
    had or cooked it).

    your pal,
    blake

  11. #11
    blake murphy Guest

    Default Re: Strawberry Chicken Stir-fry(?)

    On Thu, 13 May 2010 15:34:20 -0700 (PDT), merryb wrote:

    > On May 13, 10:46*am, blake murphy <blakepmNOTT...@verizon.net> wrote:
    >> i get an e-mail newlestter from rhonda parkinson about chinese food, which
    >> has links to her site at about.com. *she's pretty good on the basics of
    >> chinese - sort of meat-and-potatoes chinese, if you will - but this one
    >> struck me as odd:
    >>
    >> <http://chinesefood.about.com/od/chickenrecipes/r/strawberry.htm?nl=1>
    >>
    >> ...but i thought i'd put it out there anyway.
    >>
    >> your pal,
    >> blake

    >
    > So, are you going to try it?


    to be honest, probably not. i lean towards szechuan-type stuff most of the
    time.

    your pal,
    blake

  12. #12
    James Silverton Guest

    Default Re: Strawberry Chicken Stir-fry(?)

    blake wrote on Fri, 14 May 2010 16:03:40 -0400:

    >>> <http://chinesefood.about.com/od/chic...s/r/strawberry
    >>> .htm?nl=1>
    >>>
    >>> ...but i thought i'd put it out there anyway.
    >>>

    >> I'm going have to try this. Probably too odd for my target
    >> audience.
    >>
    >> Waiting for the strawberries.
    >>
    >> Thanks, Blake
    >>
    >> B


    > give a report if you do.


    Somehow I can't imagine strawberries in a stir fry. The only fruits that
    I've ever used are pineapple and I suppose you can count tomato. I guess
    green mango might work too. I'll suspend judgement until more than one
    person says they like it. However, surprising things do work like a
    salad using strawberries and young spinach with a sweetish vinaigrette.

    --

    James Silverton
    Potomac, Maryland

    Email, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not


  13. #13
    Arri London Guest

    Default Re: Strawberry Chicken Stir-fry(?)



    blake murphy wrote:
    >
    > On Thu, 13 May 2010 13:07:35 -0500, Sky wrote:
    >
    > > blake murphy wrote:
    > >>
    > >> i get an e-mail newlestter from rhonda parkinson about chinese food, which
    > >> has links to her site at about.com. she's pretty good on the basics of
    > >> chinese - sort of meat-and-potatoes chinese, if you will - but this one
    > >> struck me as odd:
    > >>
    > >> <http://chinesefood.about.com/od/chickenrecipes/r/strawberry.htm?nl=1>
    > >>
    > >> ...but i thought i'd put it out there anyway.
    > >>
    > >> your pal,
    > >> blake

    > >
    > > The combination of chicken with strawberries does seem somewhat strange
    > > perhaps, but is it really any different, say, than pork with apricots or
    > > raspberries ? What about the combination of ham and pineapple? And,
    > > there's also chicken with lemon, beef with lime (fajitas), etc.
    > >
    > > Sky

    >
    > yeah, i know there are sometimes fruits in chinese stir-fries, but when i
    > think of that i think bitter melon or something like that (not that i've
    > had or cooked it).
    >
    > your pal,
    > blake


    Wondering if the strawberries are meant to be a substitute for Chinese
    dates?

  14. #14
    bulka Guest

    Default Re: Strawberry Chicken Stir-fry(?)

    > > >> <http://chinesefood.about.com/od/chickenrecipes/r/strawberry.htm?nl=1>

    Did this for dinner today. Didn't realize strawberries were already
    here.

    I expected something overly sweet, a novelty dish. And the rx was
    simpler than my usual stir fry. I refrained from messing with it and
    was pleasantly surprised. Maybe because I used supermarket s'berries,
    bred for size and color and shipping rather than juice and sweetness,
    they were a little tart, soft on the edges with a slight tooth at the
    core. A nice contrast to the bland breast meat (though the marinade
    helped). More subtle than the spicy stuff I tend to.

    I may have used too many berries. The first couple of bites - "Oh,
    what was that?", then by the end of the meal it is just another one of
    those. May be more effective as an accent, though a lot was good.

    I was afraid my 91yo dad would find it too weird, but he liked it.
    The sister wanted an additional color.

    I'll do it again. Better, local berries will make a difference in
    some direction.

    Bulka


  15. #15
    blake murphy Guest

    Default Re: Strawberry Chicken Stir-fry(?)

    On Sun, 16 May 2010 18:03:36 -0700 (PDT), bulka wrote:

    >>> >> <http://chinesefood.about.com/od/chickenrecipes/r/strawberry.htm?nl=1>

    >
    > Did this for dinner today. Didn't realize strawberries were already
    > here.
    >
    > I expected something overly sweet, a novelty dish. And the rx was
    > simpler than my usual stir fry. I refrained from messing with it and
    > was pleasantly surprised. Maybe because I used supermarket s'berries,
    > bred for size and color and shipping rather than juice and sweetness,
    > they were a little tart, soft on the edges with a slight tooth at the
    > core. A nice contrast to the bland breast meat (though the marinade
    > helped). More subtle than the spicy stuff I tend to.
    >
    > I may have used too many berries. The first couple of bites - "Oh,
    > what was that?", then by the end of the meal it is just another one of
    > those. May be more effective as an accent, though a lot was good.
    >
    > I was afraid my 91yo dad would find it too weird, but he liked it.
    > The sister wanted an additional color.
    >
    > I'll do it again. Better, local berries will make a difference in
    > some direction.
    >
    > Bulka


    cool. i'm glad you tried it and thought it good enough to go on to the
    tweaking stage.

    your pal,
    blake

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32