Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Stilton Cheese. Nyeh.

  1. #1
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Stilton Cheese. Nyeh.

    Is there a *good* brand of Stilton?

    I know there are 6 dairies licensed to produce Stilton, but how many
    *brands* are there? I've tried at least 6 over the years and none of
    them have impressed me at all.

    My current wedge is "Royal Mowbray" which appears to be a CostCo
    exclusive. It just says "Product of England" and then a distributor's
    name. So what dairy does it come from?

    It seems to be that the Stilton brands come and go. You can't
    consistently get any one brand of Stilton before they start naming it
    something else. And that the dairies must have several brands for
    each batch of cheese and sort them in brands according to their
    "grade". When one brand goes stale, they dump that name and come up
    with another one.

    This Royal Mowbray doesn't have a creamy finish at all and is quite
    mild. It has a floury finish and has no delicate tang at all. Not
    really grainy - but almost. I'm really about ready to give on Stilton
    for good. No sense messing with it if they keep playing these brand
    games just to fool consumers and to cover up quality and consistency
    issues.

    -sw

  2. #2
    Janet Wilder Guest

    Default Re: Stilton Cheese. Nyeh.

    On 8/12/2011 3:39 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
    > Is there a *good* brand of Stilton?
    >
    > I know there are 6 dairies licensed to produce Stilton, but how many
    > *brands* are there? I've tried at least 6 over the years and none of
    > them have impressed me at all.
    >
    > My current wedge is "Royal Mowbray" which appears to be a CostCo
    > exclusive. It just says "Product of England" and then a distributor's
    > name. So what dairy does it come from?
    >
    > It seems to be that the Stilton brands come and go. You can't
    > consistently get any one brand of Stilton before they start naming it
    > something else. And that the dairies must have several brands for
    > each batch of cheese and sort them in brands according to their
    > "grade". When one brand goes stale, they dump that name and come up
    > with another one.
    >
    > This Royal Mowbray doesn't have a creamy finish at all and is quite
    > mild. It has a floury finish and has no delicate tang at all. Not
    > really grainy - but almost. I'm really about ready to give on Stilton
    > for good. No sense messing with it if they keep playing these brand
    > games just to fool consumers and to cover up quality and consistency
    > issues.
    >
    > -sw


    I wish I could get Stilton cheese near me. Sam's used to carry one brand
    that was very tasty and creamy, but not any more. We don't have Costco
    in The Valley. Last time I bought Stilton it was in Houston. I'm gonna
    be in Houston in about a week and I'll see about getting some to bring home.
    We are in the motorhome right now so I will have the fridge
    --



    Janet Wilder
    Posting from the Netbaby

  3. #3
    Steve Pope Guest

    Default Re: Stilton Cheese. Nyeh.

    Sqwertz <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Is there a *good* brand of Stilton?


    >I know there are 6 dairies licensed to produce Stilton, but how many
    >*brands* are there? I've tried at least 6 over the years and none of
    >them have impressed me at all.


    What's wrong with Colston Bassett? (And is that a brand, or a dairy?)

    In any case, Stilton is at its best when the whole wheel is aged
    to the desired point (which is a matter of taste) then consumed
    rapidly. Probably the best I've had is when they are sampling
    Colston Basset at Neal's Yard. Second best would be when purchased
    from Neal's Yard and consumed within a day or so, or from the
    Cheese Board. It goes downhill from there.


    Steve

  4. #4
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: Stilton Cheese. Nyeh.

    On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 16:39:12 -0500, Sqwertz <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Is there a *good* brand of Stilton?
    >
    >I know there are 6 dairies licensed to produce Stilton, but how many
    >*brands* are there? I've tried at least 6 over the years and none of
    >them have impressed me at all.
    >
    >My current wedge is "Royal Mowbray" which appears to be a CostCo
    >exclusive. It just says "Product of England" and then a distributor's
    >name. So what dairy does it come from?
    >
    >It seems to be that the Stilton brands come and go. You can't
    >consistently get any one brand of Stilton before they start naming it
    >something else. And that the dairies must have several brands for
    >each batch of cheese and sort them in brands according to their
    >"grade". When one brand goes stale, they dump that name and come up
    >with another one.
    >
    >This Royal Mowbray doesn't have a creamy finish at all and is quite
    >mild. It has a floury finish and has no delicate tang at all. Not
    >really grainy - but almost. I'm really about ready to give on Stilton
    >for good. No sense messing with it if they keep playing these brand
    >games just to fool consumers and to cover up quality and consistency
    >issues.


    Check: cheese.com

    Go here: http://www.stiltoncheese.com/dairies.html

  5. #5
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: Stilton Cheese. Nyeh.

    On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 16:04:34 -0600, Janet Wilder
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On 8/12/2011 3:39 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
    >> Is there a *good* brand of Stilton?
    >>
    >> I know there are 6 dairies licensed to produce Stilton, but how many
    >> *brands* are there? I've tried at least 6 over the years and none of
    >> them have impressed me at all.
    >>
    >> My current wedge is "Royal Mowbray" which appears to be a CostCo
    >> exclusive. It just says "Product of England" and then a distributor's
    >> name. So what dairy does it come from?
    >>
    >> It seems to be that the Stilton brands come and go. You can't
    >> consistently get any one brand of Stilton before they start naming it
    >> something else. And that the dairies must have several brands for
    >> each batch of cheese and sort them in brands according to their
    >> "grade". When one brand goes stale, they dump that name and come up
    >> with another one.
    >>
    >> This Royal Mowbray doesn't have a creamy finish at all and is quite
    >> mild. It has a floury finish and has no delicate tang at all. Not
    >> really grainy - but almost. I'm really about ready to give on Stilton
    >> for good. No sense messing with it if they keep playing these brand
    >> games just to fool consumers and to cover up quality and consistency
    >> issues.
    >>
    >> -sw

    >
    >I wish I could get Stilton cheese near me. Sam's used to carry one brand
    >that was very tasty and creamy, but not any more. We don't have Costco
    >in The Valley. Last time I bought Stilton it was in Houston. I'm gonna
    >be in Houston in about a week and I'll see about getting some to bring home.
    >We are in the motorhome right now so I will have the fridge


    --->
    http://www.stiltoncheese.com/US/dist/distributorus.html

  6. #6
    [email protected] Guest

    Default Re: Stilton Cheese. Nyeh.

    On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 16:39:12 -0500, Sqwertz <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Is there a *good* brand of Stilton?
    >
    >I know there are 6 dairies licensed to produce Stilton, but how many
    >*brands* are there? I've tried at least 6 over the years and none of
    >them have impressed me at all.
    >
    >My current wedge is "Royal Mowbray" which appears to be a CostCo
    >exclusive. It just says "Product of England" and then a distributor's
    >name. So what dairy does it come from?


    Melton Mowbray is a town.

    Try either Colston Basset or Tuxford & Tebbutt, which is available online from
    Artisanal in New York.

    -- Larry

  7. #7
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: Stilton Cheese. Nyeh.

    On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 22:23:06 +0000 (UTC), [email protected]
    (Steve Pope) wrote:

    >Sqwertz <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Is there a *good* brand of Stilton?

    >
    >>I know there are 6 dairies licensed to produce Stilton, but how many
    >>*brands* are there? I've tried at least 6 over the years and none of
    >>them have impressed me at all.

    >
    >Stilton is at its best when the whole wheel is aged
    >to the desired point (which is a matter of taste) then consumed
    >rapidly.


    Stilton is not produced in wheels.

  8. #8
    Steve Pope Guest

    Default Re: Stilton Cheese. Nyeh.

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
    >On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 22:23:06 +0000 (UTC), [email protected]
    >(Steve Pope) wrote:
    >
    >>Sqwertz <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Is there a *good* brand of Stilton?

    >>
    >>>I know there are 6 dairies licensed to produce Stilton, but how many
    >>>*brands* are there? I've tried at least 6 over the years and none of
    >>>them have impressed me at all.

    >>
    >>Stilton is at its best when the whole wheel is aged
    >>to the desired point (which is a matter of taste) then consumed
    >>rapidly.

    >
    >Stilton is not produced in wheels.


    Wow. Then what are those things you see at Neal's Yard?


    Steve

  9. #9
    Steve Pope Guest

    Default Re: Stilton Cheese. Nyeh.

    Mark Thorson <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Steve Pope wrote:
    >>
    >> In article <[email protected]>,
    >> Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
    >> >
    >> >Stilton is not produced in wheels.

    >>
    >> Wow. Then what are those things you see at Neal's Yard?

    >
    >If it's Stilton, they're cylinders.


    Okay, how does a cylinder differ from a wheel? They are commonly
    called wheels, including in the fact-checked (cough) British press, as
    you can see from a little googling.

    A Neal's Yard they tend to just call them "a Stilton". You already
    know what shape it is.

    Steve

  10. #10
    Bob Terwilliger Guest

    Default Re: Stilton Cheese. Nyeh.

    Clueless AOL newbie Sheldon "Pussy" Katz blathered stupidly:

    > Stilton is not produced in wheels.


    Since Stilton is sold in wedges with one rounded side, what shape do the
    voices in your head tell you they were cut from, dolt?

    Bob



  11. #11
    Janet Wilder Guest

    Default Re: Stilton Cheese. Nyeh.

    On 8/12/2011 4:42 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
    > On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 16:04:34 -0600, Janet Wilder
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> On 8/12/2011 3:39 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
    >>> Is there a *good* brand of Stilton?
    >>>
    >>> I know there are 6 dairies licensed to produce Stilton, but how many
    >>> *brands* are there? I've tried at least 6 over the years and none of
    >>> them have impressed me at all.
    >>>
    >>> My current wedge is "Royal Mowbray" which appears to be a CostCo
    >>> exclusive. It just says "Product of England" and then a distributor's
    >>> name. So what dairy does it come from?
    >>>
    >>> It seems to be that the Stilton brands come and go. You can't
    >>> consistently get any one brand of Stilton before they start naming it
    >>> something else. And that the dairies must have several brands for
    >>> each batch of cheese and sort them in brands according to their
    >>> "grade". When one brand goes stale, they dump that name and come up
    >>> with another one.
    >>>
    >>> This Royal Mowbray doesn't have a creamy finish at all and is quite
    >>> mild. It has a floury finish and has no delicate tang at all. Not
    >>> really grainy - but almost. I'm really about ready to give on Stilton
    >>> for good. No sense messing with it if they keep playing these brand
    >>> games just to fool consumers and to cover up quality and consistency
    >>> issues.
    >>>
    >>> -sw

    >>
    >> I wish I could get Stilton cheese near me. Sam's used to carry one brand
    >> that was very tasty and creamy, but not any more. We don't have Costco
    >> in The Valley. Last time I bought Stilton it was in Houston. I'm gonna
    >> be in Houston in about a week and I'll see about getting some to bring home.
    >> We are in the motorhome right now so I will have the fridge

    >
    > --->
    > http://www.stiltoncheese.com/US/dist/distributorus.html


    The cost of shipping the cheese takes it out of my price range. Thanks
    anyway.

    --



    Janet Wilder
    Posting from the Netbaby

  12. #12
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: Stilton Cheese. Nyeh.

    On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 22:23:06 +0000 (UTC), Steve Pope wrote:

    > Sqwertz <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Is there a *good* brand of Stilton?

    >
    >>I know there are 6 dairies licensed to produce Stilton, but how many
    >>*brands* are there? I've tried at least 6 over the years and none of
    >>them have impressed me at all.

    >
    > What's wrong with Colston Bassett? (And is that a brand, or a dairy?)\


    CB is a dairy, not a brand that I've ever seen. And I shop the stinky
    cheese sections weekly. The dairy's are not listed on the individual
    packages - maybe on the whole wheels (yes, wheels), but I don't buy
    16lbs at a time.

    -sw

  13. #13
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: Stilton Cheese. Nyeh.


  14. #14
    Mark Thorson Guest

    Default Re: Stilton Cheese. Nyeh.

    Steve Pope wrote:
    >
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
    > >
    > >Stilton is not produced in wheels.

    >
    > Wow. Then what are those things you see at Neal's Yard?


    If it's Stilton, they're cylinders.

  15. #15
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: Stilton Cheese. Nyeh.

    On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 18:52:45 -0800, Mark Thorson <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Steve Pope wrote:
    >>
    >> In article <[email protected]>,
    >> Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
    >> >
    >> >Stilton is not produced in wheels.

    >>
    >> Wow. Then what are those things you see at Neal's Yard?

    >
    >If it's Stilton, they're cylinders.


    Precisely.

  16. #16
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: Stilton Cheese. Nyeh.

    On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 01:56:11 +0000 (UTC), [email protected]
    (Steve Pope) wrote:

    >Mark Thorson <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>Steve Pope wrote:
    >>>
    >>> In article <[email protected]>,
    >>> Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
    >>> >
    >>> >Stilton is not produced in wheels.
    >>>
    >>> Wow. Then what are those things you see at Neal's Yard?

    >>
    >>If it's Stilton, they're cylinders.

    >
    >Okay, how does a cylinder differ from a wheel?


    And you're not ashamed to ask, in public yet? duh You're mentally
    retarded, you gotta be.

    Obviously you failed geometry (as did baboon assface), and you know
    absolutely nothing about automobiles... I seriously doubt you have a
    driver's license, not if you can't differentiate between the engine's
    cylinders and the automobiles wheels. You are much more stupid than I
    had previously thought, you're almost as stupid as baboon assface...
    I'm absolutely positive that neither of you graduated high school...
    from playing with block sets any kindergartner knows the difference
    between the various geometric shapes. Actually you and baboon assface
    failed kindergarten... yoose two imbeciles don't know beans, yoose
    think a can of beans is a wheel... obviously neither have ever eaten
    real stilton cheese, never even seen... the cylindrs yoose two retards
    are most intimate with are the penises yoose suck.

    http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-stilton-cheese.htm
    "To be considered Stilton, the cheese must be made in Leicestershire,
    Nottinghamshire, or Derbyshire in England. Within these three
    counties, only six dairies are licensed to make the cheese, which will
    be inspected after it has ripened to determine whether it is worthy of
    the Stilton designation or if it will be sold as mere blue cheese
    instead. *In addition, Stilton is always made in the shape of a
    _cylinder_*, is never pressed, and is allowed to develop its own
    wrinkly crust. The cheese must also have fine blue veins radiating out
    from the center."

  17. #17
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: Stilton Cheese. Nyeh.

    On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 09:38:52 -0400, Brooklyn1 wrote:

    > http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-stilton-cheese.htm


    And from the same site that you are quoting as being an authority,
    stilton is given as an example of a "blue cheese wheel":

    http://www.wisegeek.com/topics/blue-cheese-wheel.htm

    You can't even do anal correctly.

    -sw

  18. #18
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: Stilton Cheese. Nyeh.

    On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 09:11:39 -0400, Brooklyn1 wrote:

    > On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 18:52:45 -0800, Mark Thorson <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Steve Pope wrote:
    >>>
    >>> In article <[email protected]>,
    >>> Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
    >>> >
    >>> >Stilton is not produced in wheels.
    >>>
    >>> Wow. Then what are those things you see at Neal's Yard?

    >>
    >>If it's Stilton, they're cylinders.

    >
    > Precisely.


    In geometric shape only. In cheese mongering (culinaria, which we're
    speaking here) they're all called "wheels". Even the square ones.

    Also from Catz's authoritative site:
    http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-cheese-wheel.htm

    "A cheese wheel is a wheel or block of cured cheese..."

    Why don't you two go get anal with each other.

    -sw

  19. #19
    Steve Pope Guest

    Default Re: Stilton Cheese. Nyeh.

    Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

    >On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 01:56:11 +0000 (UTC), [email protected]


    >>Okay, how does a cylinder differ from a wheel?


    >http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-stilton-cheese.htm
    >"To be considered Stilton, the cheese must be made in Leicestershire,
    >Nottinghamshire, or Derbyshire in England. Within these three
    >counties, only six dairies are licensed to make the cheese, which will
    >be inspected after it has ripened to determine whether it is worthy of
    >the Stilton designation or if it will be sold as mere blue cheese
    >instead. *In addition, Stilton is always made in the shape of a
    >_cylinder_*, is never pressed, and is allowed to develop its own
    >wrinkly crust. The cheese must also have fine blue veins radiating out
    >from the center."


    Okay it is in the shape of a cylinder. And that cylinder-shaped
    unit of Stilton is commonly called... get ready for this... a wheel.


    S.

  20. #20
    Bob Terwilliger Guest

    Default Re: Stilton Cheese. Nyeh.

    Clueless AOL newbie Sheldon "Pussy" Katz blathered even more stupidly:

    > "*In addition, Stilton is always made in the shape of a _cylinder_*


    A spokeless wheel *is* a cylinder shape, you ignorant ****stain. Being a
    cylinder doesn't stop it from being a wheel. Are you ignorant even of THAT
    elementary bit of geometry?

    You have once again been pwned.

    Bob



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32