Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 58

Thread: Some people like their coffee.

  1. #1
    James Silverton Guest

    Default Some people like their coffee.

    A very recent ad from Williams-Sonoma:


    Miele CM5100 Espresso Machine
    Sugg. Price: $2,649.00 Our Price: $1,999.95

    Introducing the first fully automatic countertop espresso system from
    Miele, a Williams-Sonoma exclusive.

    It doesn't make Espresso but my Sears Kenmore cost $20.

    --
    Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

    Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

  2. #2
    J. Clarke Guest

    Default Re: Some people like their coffee.

    In article <jmcmdp$6os$[email protected]>, jim.silverton@verizon.n[email protected]
    says...
    >
    > A very recent ad from Williams-Sonoma:
    >
    >
    > Miele CM5100 Espresso Machine
    > Sugg. Price: $2,649.00 Our Price: $1,999.95
    >
    > Introducing the first fully automatic countertop espresso system from
    > Miele, a Williams-Sonoma exclusive.
    >
    > It doesn't make Espresso but my Sears Kenmore cost $20.


    Nothing particularly remarkable about the price of the Miele. It's the
    same ballpark as other "super auto" machines that grind, tamp, pull the
    shot, dump the grounds, and repeat.



  3. #3
    Pete C. Guest

    Default Re: Some people like their coffee.


    James Silverton wrote:
    >
    > A very recent ad from Williams-Sonoma:
    >
    > Miele CM5100 Espresso Machine
    > Sugg. Price: $2,649.00 Our Price: $1,999.95
    >
    > Introducing the first fully automatic countertop espresso system from
    > Miele, a Williams-Sonoma exclusive.
    >
    > It doesn't make Espresso but my Sears Kenmore cost $20.


    My Mr. Coffee pump and block heater type espresso machine cost $80 and
    works quite well.

  4. #4
    Sky Guest

    Default Re: Some people like their coffee.

    On 4/14/2012 3:24 PM, James Silverton wrote:
    > A very recent ad from Williams-Sonoma:
    >
    >
    > Miele CM5100 Espresso Machine
    > Sugg. Price: $2,649.00 Our Price: $1,999.95
    >
    > Introducing the first fully automatic countertop espresso system from
    > Miele, a Williams-Sonoma exclusive.
    >
    > It doesn't make Espresso but my Sears Kenmore cost $20.
    >


    When I win the lottery (cough, cough), I'll be sure to avoid the pricy
    one

    Sky

    --

    Ultra Ultimate Kitchen Rule - Use the Timer!
    Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

  5. #5
    Ed Pawlowski Guest

    Default Re: Some people like their coffee.

    On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 16:24:39 -0400, James Silverton
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >A very recent ad from Williams-Sonoma:
    >
    >
    >Miele CM5100 Espresso Machine
    >Sugg. Price: $2,649.00 Our Price: $1,999.95
    >
    >Introducing the first fully automatic countertop espresso system from
    >Miele, a Williams-Sonoma exclusive.
    >
    >It doesn't make Espresso but my Sears Kenmore cost $20.


    You are probably not interested in the La Marzocco then
    http://www.wholelattelove.com/espresso_machine.cfm

    I though the commercial units for $20k were expensive until I saw one
    for $25k

  6. #6
    Bryan Guest

    Default Re: Some people like their coffee.

    On Apr 14, 5:26*pm, "Pete C." <aux3.DO...@snet.net> wrote:
    > James Silverton wrote:
    >
    > > A very recent ad from Williams-Sonoma:

    >
    > > Miele CM5100 Espresso Machine
    > > Sugg. Price: $2,649.00 Our Price: $1,999.95

    >
    > > Introducing the first fully automatic countertop espresso system from
    > > Miele, a Williams-Sonoma exclusive.

    >
    > > It doesn't make Espresso but my Sears Kenmore cost $20.

    >
    > My Mr. Coffee pump and block heater type espresso machine cost $80 and
    > works quite well.


    Moderately priced coffee prepared with a cheap drip maker is so good
    that I don't want anything that would make coffee any more
    compelling. I have trouble resisting too much caffeine already.

    --Bryan

  7. #7
    George Guest

    Default Re: Some people like their coffee.

    On 4/14/2012 4:24 PM, James Silverton wrote:
    > A very recent ad from Williams-Sonoma:
    >
    >
    > Miele CM5100 Espresso Machine
    > Sugg. Price: $2,649.00 Our Price: $1,999.95
    >
    > Introducing the first fully automatic countertop espresso system from
    > Miele, a Williams-Sonoma exclusive.
    >
    > It doesn't make Espresso but my Sears Kenmore cost $20.
    >


    Those price range products are aimed at people who are into bragging
    rights. Same as the >$10,000 viking stoves that likely have never been
    turned on.

  8. #8
    Pandora Guest

    Default Re: Some people like their coffee.

    On 14 Apr, 22:24, James Silverton <jim.silver...@verizon.net> wrote:
    > A very recent ad from Williams-Sonoma:
    >
    > Miele CM5100 Espresso Machine
    > Sugg. Price: $2,649.00 Our Price: $1,999.95
    >
    > Introducing the first fully automatic countertop espresso system from
    > Miele, a Williams-Sonoma exclusive.
    >
    > It doesn't make Espresso but my Sears Kenmore cost $20.
    >
    > --
    > Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)
    >
    > Extraneous "not" in Reply To.


    To make a good Italian coffe, like all italians do, you only need an
    alluminium Moka. The secret? Don't wash it with dish soap, only water,
    and you will obtain a very good italian coffe.
    cheers
    Pandora

  9. #9
    John Kuthe Guest

    Default Re: Some people like their coffee.

    On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 21:39:29 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Apr 14, 5:26*pm, "Pete C." <aux3.DO...@snet.net> wrote:
    >> James Silverton wrote:
    >>
    >> > A very recent ad from Williams-Sonoma:

    >>
    >> > Miele CM5100 Espresso Machine
    >> > Sugg. Price: $2,649.00 Our Price: $1,999.95

    >>
    >> > Introducing the first fully automatic countertop espresso system from
    >> > Miele, a Williams-Sonoma exclusive.

    >>
    >> > It doesn't make Espresso but my Sears Kenmore cost $20.

    >>
    >> My Mr. Coffee pump and block heater type espresso machine cost $80 and
    >> works quite well.

    >
    >Moderately priced coffee prepared with a cheap drip maker is so good
    >that I don't want anything that would make coffee any more
    >compelling. I have trouble resisting too much caffeine already.
    >
    >--Bryan


    You have too much trouble resisting consuming too much of anything.
    It's called gluttony, one of the proverbial 7 deadly sins.

    John Kuthe...

  10. #10
    notbob Guest

    Default Re: Some people like their coffee.

    On 2012-04-15, Ed Pawlowski <[email protected]> wrote:

    > You are probably not interested in the La Marzocco then
    > http://www.wholelattelove.com/espresso_machine.cfm
    >
    > I though the commercial units for $20k were expensive until I saw one
    > for $25k


    Starbucks usta use only La Marzoccos, the Mercedes of espresso
    machines, but the operator hadda know what (s)he was doing. Most *$
    burger-flippin droids didn't. So, they sold off all those 1000s of
    lovely SMs and bought "superautos", which is an espresso machine that
    does it all, grinds, tamps, perks, delivers an espresso shot with the
    press of a single button. No knowledge or skill on the operator's
    part necessary. Those are what cost $20-25K and you gotta have a
    certified technician in every few days to make sure that superauto is
    tweaked to a capital T to deliver that perfect dopo. Otherwise they
    get outta adjustment and will deliver up some seriously nasty dreck.

    nb


    --
    vi --the heart of evil!

  11. #11
    Andy Guest

    Default Re: Some people like their coffee.

    James Silverton <[email protected]> wrote:

    > It doesn't make Espresso but my Sears Kenmore cost $20.



    Getting to the bottom of a hot cup of coffee is too frustrating!

    My caffeinated brain cells are going "faster! Faster!! FASTER!!!"

    My mouth is going "hot! Hot!! HOT!!!"

    Meanwhile my hands are going "steady! Steady!! STEADY!!!"

    Andy

  12. #12
    George M. Middius Guest

    Default Re: Some people like their coffee.

    George wrote:

    > > It doesn't make Espresso but my Sears Kenmore cost $20.


    > Those price range products are aimed at people who are into bragging
    > rights. Same as the >$10,000 viking stoves that likely have never been
    > turned on.


    Wrong. Drag your class envy into the light and accept it for what it
    is.



  13. #13
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: Some people like their coffee.

    On 15 Apr 2012 12:52:20 GMT, notbob <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On 2012-04-15, Ed Pawlowski <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> You are probably not interested in the La Marzocco then
    >> http://www.wholelattelove.com/espresso_machine.cfm
    >>
    >> I though the commercial units for $20k were expensive until I saw one
    >> for $25k

    >
    >Starbucks usta use only La Marzoccos, the Mercedes of espresso
    >machines, but the operator hadda know what (s)he was doing. Most *$
    >burger-flippin droids didn't. So, they sold off all those 1000s of
    >lovely SMs and bought "superautos", which is an espresso machine that
    >does it all, grinds, tamps, perks, delivers an espresso shot with the
    >press of a single button. No knowledge or skill on the operator's
    >part necessary. Those are what cost $20-25K and you gotta have a
    >certified technician in every few days to make sure that superauto is
    >tweaked to a capital T to deliver that perfect dopo. Otherwise they
    >get outta adjustment and will deliver up some seriously nasty dreck.
    >
    >nb


    For those who enjoy potent cawffee my new Farberware percolator brews
    the world's best cuppa... perked beats espresso any day. Only
    downside is clean up or I'd use it exclusively and ****can my ADC.
    Got this for when there are power outages:
    http://www.amazon.com/Farberware-501...4500081&sr=8-3

  14. #14
    George Guest

    Default Re: Some people like their coffee.

    On 4/15/2012 10:28 AM, George M. Middius wrote:
    > George wrote:
    >
    >>> It doesn't make Espresso but my Sears Kenmore cost $20.

    >
    >> Those price range products are aimed at people who are into bragging
    >> rights. Same as the>$10,000 viking stoves that likely have never been
    >> turned on.

    >
    > Wrong. Drag your class envy into the light and accept it for what it
    > is.
    >
    >


    Really? You are the definitive expert on human nature to be able to make
    that statement?

  15. #15
    George M. Middius Guest

    Default Re: Some people like their coffee.

    George wrote:

    > >> Those price range products are aimed at people who are into bragging
    > >> rights. Same as the>$10,000 viking stoves that likely have never been
    > >> turned on.

    > >
    > > Wrong. Drag your class envy into the light and accept it for what it
    > > is.


    > Really? You are the definitive expert on human nature to be able to make
    > that statement?


    Don't have to be. I only diagnosed your empty prattle as what it
    sounded like.

    High-end appliances are purchased for several reasons. You can't
    afford them, so you don't have a choice to make, so you mindlessly
    claimed other people choose them for a reason that assuages your open
    wound of unfulfilled entitlement.

    Shelley can explain this to you in troglodyte terms if you ask him.


  16. #16
    George M. Middius Guest

    Default Re: Some people like their coffee.

    Sheldon posts Patented Crock o' Crap #2,593.

    > For those who enjoy potent cawffee my new Farberware percolator brews
    > the world's best cuppa.


    A complete crock, as usual. Thank you, Shelley.


  17. #17
    Gorio Guest

    Default Re: Some people like their coffee.


    'George[_1_ Wrote:
    > ;1733140']On 4/14/2012 4:24 PM, James Silverton wrote:-
    > A very recent ad from Williams-Sonoma:
    >
    >
    > Miele CM5100 Espresso Machine
    > Sugg. Price: $2,649.00 Our Price: $1,999.95
    >
    > Introducing the first fully automatic countertop espresso system from
    > Miele, a Williams-Sonoma exclusive.
    >
    > It doesn't make Espresso but my Sears Kenmore cost $20.
    > -
    >
    > Those price range products are aimed at people who are into bragging
    > rights. Same as the $10,000 viking stoves that likely have never been
    > turned on.


    True dat. I've found 3 unused expresso makers for $3-5 at second
    handers, and they work fabulously.




    --
    Gorio

  18. #18
    John Kuthe Guest

    Default Re: Some people like their coffee.

    On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 11:39:54 -0400, George M. Middius
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Sheldon posts Patented Crock o' Crap #2,593.
    >
    >> For those who enjoy potent cawffee my new Farberware percolator brews
    >> the world's best cuppa.

    >
    >A complete crock, as usual. Thank you, Shelley.


    A percolator flagrantly violates one of the cardinal rules of coffee:
    Never boil coffee!

    Now I know why all those ads back in the 1960's had housewives
    fretting about not being able to make a good cup of coffee! ;-)

    John Kuthe...

  19. #19
    merryb Guest

    Default Re: Some people like their coffee.

    On Apr 15, 5:25*am, Pandora <pan...@hotmail.it> wrote:
    > On 14 Apr, 22:24, James Silverton <jim.silver...@verizon.net> wrote:
    >
    > > A very recent ad from Williams-Sonoma:

    >
    > > Miele CM5100 Espresso Machine
    > > Sugg. Price: $2,649.00 Our Price: $1,999.95

    >
    > > Introducing the first fully automatic countertop espresso system from
    > > Miele, a Williams-Sonoma exclusive.

    >
    > > It doesn't make Espresso but my Sears Kenmore cost $20.

    >
    > > --
    > > Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

    >
    > > Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

    >
    > To make a good Italian coffe, like all italians do, you only need an
    > alluminium Moka. The secret? Don't wash it with dish soap, only water,
    > and you will obtain a very good italian coffe.
    > cheers
    > Pandora


    100% agree with you, Pandora. I have 2 Moka pots- one small and 1
    large. They are great to take camping also!

  20. #20
    BubbaBob Guest

    Default Re: Some people like their coffee.

    notbob <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On 2012-04-15, Ed Pawlowski <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> You are probably not interested in the La Marzocco then
    >> http://www.wholelattelove.com/espresso_machine.cfm
    >>
    >> I though the commercial units for $20k were expensive until I saw one
    >> for $25k

    >
    > Starbucks usta use only La Marzoccos, the Mercedes of espresso
    > machines, but the operator hadda know what (s)he was doing. Most *$
    > burger-flippin droids didn't. So, they sold off all those 1000s of
    > lovely SMs and bought "superautos", which is an espresso machine that
    > does it all, grinds, tamps, perks, delivers an espresso shot with the
    > press of a single button. No knowledge or skill on the operator's
    > part necessary. Those are what cost $20-25K and you gotta have a
    > certified technician in every few days to make sure that superauto is
    > tweaked to a capital T to deliver that perfect dopo. Otherwise they
    > get outta adjustment and will deliver up some seriously nasty dreck.
    >
    > nb
    >
    >


    How would anyone notice seriously nasty dreck at a Starbucks? Their whole
    business is based on seriously nasty dreck and $40 / gallon milk.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32