Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

Thread: Some of McDonald's 10 Best Restaurants

  1. #1
    Andy Guest

    Default Some of McDonald's 10 Best Restaurants

    Some of McDonald's 10 Best Restaurants

    Travel channel had a show on various McDonald restaurants around the world.

    The most interesting one was one with a "Diner" inside. You down in booths
    and a waiter hands you Denny's style menus with 120+ additional offerings
    aside from the typical burgers.

    When you were ready to order you picked up a "red phone" on your booth wall
    and press the big yellow button and send in your order and 5 minutes later,
    dinner was served. Real plates and silverware even!

    You could order a full turkey dinner, chicken fried steak dinner, Belgian
    waffles were some of the dishes they showed. The waiter at the table
    declared "Please, no tipping allowed."

    This was a newer model than the Diner they opened in 1990.

    I can't shake the thought of McDonalds trying to get out of the fast food
    biz! It didn't really look like a Diner of old, with the juke box selectors
    at each booth.

    The Times Square restaurant in NYC looked great. Modeled in a Broadway
    backstage motif, black walls, tables, narrow hallways, etc.

    One, somewhere near Orlando, FL, looked a lot like a Chuckie-Cheez with
    more space devoted to indoor playground, video games, etc. They even served
    pizza.

    The #1 McDonalds was in Rome, Italy. I forget the name of the sectioon of
    town but it was in the high rent/fashion district. An opulence of marble,
    archways, columns and fresco paintings. And the most expensive Big Mac in
    the world, so they said. Now I want to visit Italy more than ever.

    The McDonalds here in town looks pretty outdated by comparison. Run down is
    probably a better term for it.

    And I don't even eat McDonalds.

    Andy

  2. #2
    George Shirley Guest

    Default Re: Some of McDonald's 10 Best Restaurants

    Andy wrote:
    > Some of McDonald's 10 Best Restaurants
    >
    > Travel channel had a show on various McDonald restaurants around the world.
    >
    > The most interesting one was one with a "Diner" inside. You down in booths
    > and a waiter hands you Denny's style menus with 120+ additional offerings
    > aside from the typical burgers.
    >
    > When you were ready to order you picked up a "red phone" on your booth wall
    > and press the big yellow button and send in your order and 5 minutes later,
    > dinner was served. Real plates and silverware even!
    >
    > You could order a full turkey dinner, chicken fried steak dinner, Belgian
    > waffles were some of the dishes they showed. The waiter at the table
    > declared "Please, no tipping allowed."
    >
    > This was a newer model than the Diner they opened in 1990.
    >
    > I can't shake the thought of McDonalds trying to get out of the fast food
    > biz! It didn't really look like a Diner of old, with the juke box selectors
    > at each booth.
    >
    > The Times Square restaurant in NYC looked great. Modeled in a Broadway
    > backstage motif, black walls, tables, narrow hallways, etc.
    >
    > One, somewhere near Orlando, FL, looked a lot like a Chuckie-Cheez with
    > more space devoted to indoor playground, video games, etc. They even served
    > pizza.
    >
    > The #1 McDonalds was in Rome, Italy. I forget the name of the sectioon of
    > town but it was in the high rent/fashion district. An opulence of marble,
    > archways, columns and fresco paintings. And the most expensive Big Mac in
    > the world, so they said. Now I want to visit Italy more than ever.
    >
    > The McDonalds here in town looks pretty outdated by comparison. Run down is
    > probably a better term for it.
    >
    > And I don't even eat McDonalds.
    >
    > Andy

    The McDonalds franchisee here in our Parish has several of the stores.
    He offers free wireless computer service including two laptops bolted
    down to a table, free coffee to senior citizens plus a senior discount.
    Every store has a ROMEO group eating there every morning except Sundays
    because of his policies. He even gave all the ROMEO's their own coffee
    cups with, of course, McDonalds on them. Comes by once in awhile to talk
    to the folks too.

    Nothing as fancy as what you mentioned but everyone appreciates being
    treated nicely and known by name.

  3. #3
    Zeppo Guest

    Default Re: Some of McDonald's 10 Best Restaurants

    >
    > The #1 McDonalds was in Rome, Italy. I forget the name of the sectioon of
    > town but it was in the high rent/fashion district. An opulence of marble,
    > archways, columns and fresco paintings. And the most expensive Big Mac in
    > the world, so they said. Now I want to visit Italy more than ever.
    >
    > The McDonalds here in town looks pretty outdated by comparison. Run down
    > is
    > probably a better term for it.
    >
    > And I don't even eat McDonalds.
    >
    > Andy


    We stopped at the McDonald's near the Parthenon to use the bathroom when in
    Rome last October. Pretty snazzy building and one of the few public places
    in Rome where toilets had seats (I hate squatting over the rim of the
    bowl!).

    No way we were going to eat there when we were surrounded by some of the
    best food in the world.

    Jon



  4. #4
    Andy Guest

    Default Re: Some of McDonald's 10 Best Restaurants

    Zeppo said...

    >>
    >> The #1 McDonalds was in Rome, Italy. I forget the name of the sectioon
    >> of town but it was in the high rent/fashion district. An opulence of
    >> marble, archways, columns and fresco paintings. And the most expensive
    >> Big Mac in the world, so they said. Now I want to visit Italy more than
    >> ever.
    >>
    >> The McDonalds here in town looks pretty outdated by comparison. Run
    >> down is
    >> probably a better term for it.
    >>
    >> And I don't even eat McDonalds.
    >>
    >> Andy

    >
    > We stopped at the McDonald's near the Parthenon to use the bathroom when
    > in Rome last October. Pretty snazzy building and one of the few public
    > places in Rome where toilets had seats (I hate squatting over the rim of
    > the bowl!).
    >
    > No way we were going to eat there when we were surrounded by some of the
    > best food in the world.
    >
    > Jon



    Jon,

    Agreed.

    I'd love to visit Italy. Spend a month traveling to all the different
    regions, tasting each. If I only spoke Italian! (

    Best,

    Andy



  5. #5
    notbob Guest

    Default Re: Some of McDonald's 10 Best Restaurants

    On 2008-07-10, Andy <q> wrote:

    > Some of McDonald's ... Restaurants



    Oxymoron

  6. #6
    Lou Decruss Guest

    Default Re: Some of McDonald's 10 Best Restaurants

    On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 15:52:21 GMT, notbob <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On 2008-07-10, Andy <q> wrote:
    >
    >> Some of McDonald's ... Restaurants

    >
    >
    >Oxymoron


    LOL.. "Stores" is a better term for them.

    Lou


  7. #7
    notbob Guest

    Default Re: Some of McDonald's 10 Best Restaurants

    On 2008-07-10, Lou Decruss <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 15:52:21 GMT, notbob <[email protected]> wrote:


    >>Oxymoron

    >
    > LOL.. "Stores" is a better term for them.


    I prefer "troughs".

    nb

  8. #8
    John Kane Guest

    Default Re: Some of McDonald's 10 Best Restaurants

    On Jul 10, 10:11*am, "Zeppo" <zepp...@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > > The #1 McDonalds was in Rome, Italy. I forget the name of the sectioon of
    > > town but it was in the high rent/fashion district. An opulence of marble,
    > > archways, columns and fresco paintings. And the most expensive Big Mac in
    > > the world, so they said. Now I want to visit Italy more than ever.

    >
    > > The McDonalds here in town looks pretty outdated by comparison. Run down
    > > is
    > > probably a better term for it.

    >
    > > And I don't even eat McDonalds.

    >
    > > Andy

    >
    > We stopped at the McDonald's near the Parthenon to use the bathroom when in
    > Rome last October. Pretty snazzy building and one of the few public places
    > in Rome where toilets had seats (I hate squatting over the rim of the
    > bowl!).


    I once read a someone's description of shopping in London UK and she
    mentioned how nice it was that there were any number of convenient
    clean public restrooms scattered around London these days and you
    could even get takaway meals.

    John Kane Kingston ON Canada

  9. #9
    Andy Guest

    Default Re: Some of McDonald's 10 Best Restaurants

    John Kane said...

    > On Jul 10, 10:11*am, "Zeppo" <zepp...@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >> > The #1 McDonalds was in Rome, Italy. I forget the name of the sectioon

    > of
    >> > town but it was in the high rent/fashion district. An opulence of

    marbl
    > e,
    >> > archways, columns and fresco paintings. And the most expensive Big Mac

    > in
    >> > the world, so they said. Now I want to visit Italy more than ever.

    >>
    >> > The McDonalds here in town looks pretty outdated by comparison. Run

    dow
    > n
    >> > is
    >> > probably a better term for it.

    >>
    >> > And I don't even eat McDonalds.

    >>
    >> > Andy

    >>
    >> We stopped at the McDonald's near the Parthenon to use the bathroom when

    > in
    >> Rome last October. Pretty snazzy building and one of the few public

    place
    > s
    >> in Rome where toilets had seats (I hate squatting over the rim of the
    >> bowl!).

    >
    > I once read a someone's description of shopping in London UK and she
    > mentioned how nice it was that there were any number of convenient
    > clean public restrooms scattered around London these days and you
    > could even get takaway meals.
    >
    > John Kane Kingston ON Canada



    You guys never shat in the woods? Some Boy Scouts you two!!!

    Andy

  10. #10
    Lou Decruss Guest

    Default Re: Some of McDonald's 10 Best Restaurants

    On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 16:17:15 GMT, notbob <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On 2008-07-10, Lou Decruss <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 15:52:21 GMT, notbob <[email protected]> wrote:

    >
    >>>Oxymoron

    >>
    >> LOL.. "Stores" is a better term for them.

    >
    >I prefer "troughs".


    The only time I go there is to use the trough in the little tiled
    room.

    Lou

  11. #11
    Zeppo Guest

    Default Re: Some of McDonald's 10 Best Restaurants

    >> No way we were going to eat there when we were surrounded by some of the
    >> best food in the world.
    >>
    >> Jon

    >
    >
    > Jon,
    >
    > Agreed.
    >
    > I'd love to visit Italy. Spend a month traveling to all the different
    > regions, tasting each. If I only spoke Italian! (
    >
    > Best,
    >
    > Andy


    We had 2 weeks, which was great. But to really see all the different regions
    at anything other than a dead run, you'd need a year. There is just so much
    art, history, architecture, vistas, food, and wine to experience its
    overwhelming.

    I can't wait to get back.

    Jon



  12. #12
    Stan Horwitz Guest

    Default Re: Some of McDonald's 10 Best Restaurants

    In article <[email protected]>, Andy <q> wrote:

    > Zeppo said...
    >
    > >>
    > >> The #1 McDonalds was in Rome, Italy. I forget the name of the sectioon
    > >> of town but it was in the high rent/fashion district. An opulence of
    > >> marble, archways, columns and fresco paintings. And the most expensive
    > >> Big Mac in the world, so they said. Now I want to visit Italy more than
    > >> ever.
    > >>
    > >> The McDonalds here in town looks pretty outdated by comparison. Run
    > >> down is
    > >> probably a better term for it.
    > >>
    > >> And I don't even eat McDonalds.
    > >>
    > >> Andy

    > >
    > > We stopped at the McDonald's near the Parthenon to use the bathroom when
    > > in Rome last October. Pretty snazzy building and one of the few public
    > > places in Rome where toilets had seats (I hate squatting over the rim of
    > > the bowl!).
    > >
    > > No way we were going to eat there when we were surrounded by some of the
    > > best food in the world.
    > >
    > > Jon

    >
    >
    > Jon,
    >
    > Agreed.
    >
    > I'd love to visit Italy. Spend a month traveling to all the different
    > regions, tasting each. If I only spoke Italian! (


    I visited Italy for three weeks a few years ago. Its an amazing country.
    I never went into that huge McDonalds in Rome, but I am sure I shot some
    photos of the exterior. The large McDonalds in Rome wasn't what caught
    my eye, McDonalds wise. It was the McDonalds in Rome's main train
    terminal where you could order breakfast and lunch 24x7. The McDonalds
    around the corner from the hotel where I stayed in Florence also offered
    breakfast and lunch any time, not just during certain hours. One day, I
    couldn't resist, so for breakfast, I went over there and I ordered a
    cheeseburger and fries.

    There's also a huge McDonalds in Orlando right near Universal Studios
    that has a huge menu, including fresh made waffles a la mode. I ordered
    a meatball sandwich there for lunch one day. It was served on a real
    glass plate with real silverware and that was one of the best meatball
    sandwiches I ever ate.

  13. #13
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Some of McDonald's 10 Best Restaurants

    On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 23:48:59 -0400, Stan Horwitz <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >The large McDonalds in Rome wasn't what caught
    >my eye, McDonalds wise. It was the McDonalds in Rome's main train
    >terminal where you could order breakfast and lunch 24x7. The McDonalds
    >around the corner from the hotel where I stayed in Florence also offered
    >breakfast and lunch any time, not just during certain hours. One day, I
    >couldn't resist, so for breakfast, I went over there and I ordered a
    >cheeseburger and fries.


    Whoa! You mean they don't separate breakfast and lunch by certain
    hours like they do here? Whatta concept! Sounds like Denny's.


    --
    I never worry about diets. The only carrots that interest me are the number of carats in a diamond.

    Mae West

  14. #14
    Zeppo Guest

    Default Re: Some of McDonald's 10 Best Restaurants

    >> I'd love to visit Italy. Spend a month traveling to all the different
    >> regions, tasting each. If I only spoke Italian! (

    >
    > I visited Italy for three weeks a few years ago. Its an amazing country.
    > I never went into that huge McDonalds in Rome, but I am sure I shot some
    > photos of the exterior. The large McDonalds in Rome wasn't what caught
    > my eye, McDonalds wise. It was the McDonalds in Rome's main train
    > terminal where you could order breakfast and lunch 24x7. The McDonalds
    > around the corner from the hotel where I stayed in Florence also offered
    > breakfast and lunch any time, not just during certain hours. One day, I
    > couldn't resist, so for breakfast, I went over there and I ordered a
    > cheeseburger and fries.
    >
    > There's also a huge McDonalds in Orlando right near Universal Studios
    > that has a huge menu, including fresh made waffles a la mode. I ordered
    > a meatball sandwich there for lunch one day. It was served on a real
    > glass plate with real silverware and that was one of the best meatball
    > sandwiches I ever ate.


    Hmmm. I'll be in Orlando for a few days in October, I might have to check
    that out. The waffles thing sounds like it's right up my alley.

    Jon



  15. #15
    Vilco Guest

    Default Re: Some of McDonald's 10 Best Restaurants

    sf wrote:

    >> One day, I couldn't resist, so for breakfast, I went
    >> over there and I ordered a cheeseburger and fries.


    > Whoa! You mean they don't separate breakfast and lunch by certain
    > hours like they do here? Whatta concept! Sounds like Denny's.


    It's usual here in Italy for McD's, and other fast food chains, to keep up
    the same menu day long. And I agree with Stan: it's nice to have a
    cheeseburger at 9 AM
    --
    Vilco
    Mai guardare Trailer park Boys senza
    qualcosa da bere a portata di mano



  16. #16
    Wayne Boatwright Guest

    Default Re: Some of McDonald's 10 Best Restaurants

    On Fri 11 Jul 2008 06:27:59a, Vilco told us...

    > sf wrote:
    >
    >>> One day, I couldn't resist, so for breakfast, I went over there and I
    >>> ordered a cheeseburger and fries.

    >
    >> Whoa! You mean they don't separate breakfast and lunch by certain
    >> hours like they do here? Whatta concept! Sounds like Denny's.

    >
    > It's usual here in Italy for McD's, and other fast food chains, to keep
    > up the same menu day long. And I agree with Stan: it's nice to have a
    > cheeseburger at 9 AM


    None of the chains (AZ, US) seem to do that here except for Denny's. A
    couple of very casual local restaurants we frequent offer anything on the
    menu throughout their open hours. David likes french fries with his
    breakfast instead of hash browns or home fries.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright
    -------------------------------------------
    Friday, 07(VII)/11(XI)/08(MMVIII)
    -------------------------------------------
    -------------------------------------------
    Useless Invention: Condoms for misogynists.
    -------------------------------------------





  17. #17
    Goomba Guest

    Default Re: Some of McDonald's 10 Best Restaurants

    Vilco wrote:

    > It's usual here in Italy for McD's, and other fast food chains, to keep up
    > the same menu day long. And I agree with Stan: it's nice to have a
    > cheeseburger at 9 AM


    When I get off work after a horrible long 13 hour night shift, and am
    starving... I don't want traditional breakfast foods. I want a big
    burger with fries! I can get one at 8 in the morning at Huddle House or
    Waffle House type places.
    There is also a Greek restaurant nearby that groups of us have been
    known to hit at 8 AM for pizza and pitchers of beer at that hour and
    share some laughs about work. Good "team building" meals those!

  18. #18
    Andy Guest

    Default Re: Some of McDonald's 10 Best Restaurants

    said...

    > On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 23:48:59 -0400, Stan Horwitz <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>The large McDonalds in Rome wasn't what caught
    >>my eye, McDonalds wise. It was the McDonalds in Rome's main train
    >>terminal where you could order breakfast and lunch 24x7. The McDonalds
    >>around the corner from the hotel where I stayed in Florence also offered
    >>breakfast and lunch any time, not just during certain hours. One day, I
    >>couldn't resist, so for breakfast, I went over there and I ordered a
    >>cheeseburger and fries.

    >
    > Whoa! You mean they don't separate breakfast and lunch by certain
    > hours like they do here? Whatta concept! Sounds like Denny's.



    Yeah,

    Same in Holland!

    Andy

  19. #19
    Jean B. Guest

    Default Re: Some of McDonald's 10 Best Restaurants

    [snip]
    >> Zeppo said...
    >>> We stopped at the McDonald's near the Parthenon to use the bathroom when
    >>> in Rome last October. Pretty snazzy building and one of the few public
    >>> places in Rome where toilets had seats (I hate squatting over the rim of
    >>> the bowl!).
    >>>
    >>> No way we were going to eat there when we were surrounded by some of the
    >>> best food in the world.
    >>>
    >>> Jon

    >>

    >[snip]


    Gee, wasn't that a rather LONG trip to get to the bathroom?... I
    think if I needed to use the bathroom when in Rome, I would find
    one closer than Athens....

    --
    Jean B.

  20. #20
    Vilco Guest

    Default Re: Some of McDonald's 10 Best Restaurants

    Andy wrote:

    >> Whoa! You mean they don't separate breakfast and lunch by certain
    >> hours like they do here? Whatta concept! Sounds like Denny's.


    > Yeah,
    > Same in Holland!


    "You know what they put on fries there in Holland? Mayo! Loads of f***in'
    mayo!"
    LOL
    --
    Vilco
    Mai guardare Trailer park Boys senza
    qualcosa da bere a portata di mano



Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32