Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Thread: Solution for no Milk?

  1. #1
    JeanineAlyse Guest

    Default Solution for no Milk?

    Just sharing a bit of fun with a wee story on my solution for having
    no milk on hand today....
    One of my younger Marines came into the office area here that was long
    ago designated as Miss Jeanine's Kitchen, to ask if there was
    possibility of my having milk to spare for his little bag of Fruit
    Loops breakfast cereal.
    No, no milk about, but just try this, as I handed him a single-serve
    container of Greek yogurt and told him to stir his ceral into it. He
    looked at me like I was crazy, but did politely leave my area with
    yogurt in hand. I few minutes later he came back in to ask if I had a
    spoon to eat with, which we are out of at the moment, but no problem,
    I handed him a fork. When his wrinkled brow indicated to me that he
    now thought I was perfectly nuts, I just said, "Son, it's yogurt with
    sweet crunchies, it ought to fork just fine. And what's left at the
    bottom of the cup will taste good straight off your finger!"
    Some time later as I walked through his area to pick up prints, the
    youngster commented that his "Loopy yogurt" really was good. God
    Bless them, how I do love and respect all my Marines!
    ....ProudPreparedPicky

  2. #2
    Polly Esther Guest

    Default Re: Solution for no Milk?

    "JeanineAlyse" <> wrote in>

    Just sharing a bit of fun with a wee story on my solution for having
    > no milk on hand today....
    > One of my younger Marines came into the office area here that was long
    > ago designated as Miss Jeanine's Kitchen, to ask if there was
    > possibility of my having milk to spare for his little bag of Fruit
    > Loops breakfast cereal.
    > No, no milk about, but just try this, as I handed him a single-serve
    > container of Greek yogurt and told him to stir his ceral into it. He
    > looked at me like I was crazy, but did politely leave my area with
    > yogurt in hand. I few minutes later he came back in to ask if I had a
    > spoon to eat with, which we are out of at the moment, but no problem,
    > I handed him a fork. When his wrinkled brow indicated to me that he
    > now thought I was perfectly nuts, I just said, "Son, it's yogurt with
    > sweet crunchies, it ought to fork just fine. And what's left at the
    > bottom of the cup will taste good straight off your finger!"
    > Some time later as I walked through his area to pick up prints, the
    > youngster commented that his "Loopy yogurt" really was good. God
    > Bless them, how I do love and respect all my Marines!
    > ...ProudPreparedPicky


    And God bless you, Jeanine, for taking care of our young Marines. I send
    pralines to our troops and make quilts for Wounded Warriors but getting to
    hand yogurt to a fellow needing something for his Fruit Loops sounds like
    lots more fun. Polly


  3. #3
    Dave Smith Guest

    Default Re: Solution for no Milk?

    On 26/07/2011 4:42 PM, JeanineAlyse wrote:

    > No, no milk about, but just try this, as I handed him a single-serve
    > container of Greek yogurt and told him to stir his ceral into it. He
    > looked at me like I was crazy, but did politely leave my area with
    > yogurt in hand. I few minutes later he came back in to ask if I had a
    > spoon to eat with, which we are out of at the moment, but no problem,
    > I handed him a fork. When his wrinkled brow indicated to me that he
    > now thought I was perfectly nuts, I just said, "Son, it's yogurt with
    > sweet crunchies,



    The only part that doesn't work for me is the Greek style yogurt. I
    would prefer a thinner style of yogurt, but that is what my wife uses.
    She never had much use for yogurt until about a year ago when she
    discovered the Greek style stuff. She also was not a cereal eater until
    about a month ago when she started having Shredded Wheat with fruit and
    Greek Style yogurt.









    it ought to fork just fine. And what's left at the
    > bottom of the cup will taste good straight off your finger!"
    > Some time later as I walked through his area to pick up prints, the
    > youngster commented that his "Loopy yogurt" really was good. God
    > Bless them, how I do love and respect all my Marines!
    > ...ProudPreparedPicky



  4. #4
    James Silverton Guest

    Default Re: Solution for no Milk?

    On 7/26/2011 5:17 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
    > On 26/07/2011 4:42 PM, JeanineAlyse wrote:
    >
    >> No, no milk about, but just try this, as I handed him a single-serve
    >> container of Greek yogurt and told him to stir his ceral into it. He
    >> looked at me like I was crazy, but did politely leave my area with
    >> yogurt in hand. I few minutes later he came back in to ask if I had a
    >> spoon to eat with, which we are out of at the moment, but no problem,
    >> I handed him a fork. When his wrinkled brow indicated to me that he
    >> now thought I was perfectly nuts, I just said, "Son, it's yogurt with
    >> sweet crunchies,

    >
    >
    > The only part that doesn't work for me is the Greek style yogurt. I
    > would prefer a thinner style of yogurt, but that is what my wife uses.
    > She never had much use for yogurt until about a year ago when she
    > discovered the Greek style stuff. She also was not a cereal eater until
    > about a month ago when she started having Shredded Wheat with fruit and
    > Greek Style yogurt.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > it ought to fork just fine. And what's left at the
    >> bottom of the cup will taste good straight off your finger!"
    >> Some time later as I walked through his area to pick up prints, the
    >> youngster commented that his "Loopy yogurt" really was good. God
    >> Bless them, how I do love and respect all my Marines!
    >> ...ProudPreparedPicky

    >

    A little while ago I was restricted to no solids for a few days. I found
    an acceptable breakfast was a half cup of All-Bran cereal, a container
    of ordinary yoghurt and a ripe banana blended until smooth. In my case I
    used non-fat yoghurt.

    --


    James Silverton, Potomac

    I'm *not* [email protected]

  5. #5
    George Leppla Guest

    Default Re: Solution for no Milk?

    On 7/26/2011 4:17 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
    > The only part that doesn't work for me is the Greek style yogurt. I
    > would prefer a thinner style of yogurt, but that is what my wife uses.
    > She never had much use for yogurt until about a year ago when she
    > discovered the Greek style stuff. She also was not a cereal eater until
    > about a month ago when she started having Shredded Wheat with fruit and
    > Greek Style yogurt.



    Becca loves the Greek style yogurt and with the high protein content, it
    is a good choice for us. But the thick consistency turns me off... so
    we keep both kinds in the house. Yogurt with sliced strawberries is a
    favorite summer treat for me.

    George L

  6. #6
    Janet Wilder Guest

    Default Re: Solution for no Milk?

    On 7/26/2011 4:17 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
    > On 26/07/2011 4:42 PM, JeanineAlyse wrote:
    >
    >> No, no milk about, but just try this, as I handed him a single-serve
    >> container of Greek yogurt and told him to stir his ceral into it. He
    >> looked at me like I was crazy, but did politely leave my area with
    >> yogurt in hand. I few minutes later he came back in to ask if I had a
    >> spoon to eat with, which we are out of at the moment, but no problem,
    >> I handed him a fork. When his wrinkled brow indicated to me that he
    >> now thought I was perfectly nuts, I just said, "Son, it's yogurt with
    >> sweet crunchies,

    >
    >
    > The only part that doesn't work for me is the Greek style yogurt. I
    > would prefer a thinner style of yogurt, but that is what my wife uses.
    > She never had much use for yogurt until about a year ago when she
    > discovered the Greek style stuff. She also was not a cereal eater until
    > about a month ago when she started having Shredded Wheat with fruit and
    > Greek Style yogurt.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > it ought to fork just fine. And what's left at the
    >> bottom of the cup will taste good straight off your finger!"
    >> Some time later as I walked through his area to pick up prints, the
    >> youngster commented that his "Loopy yogurt" really was good. God
    >> Bless them, how I do love and respect all my Marines!
    >> ...ProudPreparedPicky

    >


    I have also become a huge fan of Greek yogurt. My favorite is Fage brand
    0% fat. I eat it almost every day with diced fresh fruit like a peach or
    some mango, strawberries, blueberries or a combo of some or all. It's
    one of the few ways I can get extra calcium as I can't take supplements
    and milk disagrees with me.

    --
    Janet Wilder
    Way-the-heck-south Texas
    Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

  7. #7
    Jerry Avins Guest

    Default Re: Solution for no Milk?

    On Jul 27, 9:28*am, Janet Wilder <kelliepoo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > On 7/26/2011 4:17 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > > On 26/07/2011 4:42 PM, JeanineAlyse wrote:

    >
    > >> No, no milk about, but just try this, as I handed him a single-serve
    > >> container of Greek yogurt and told him to stir his ceral into it. He
    > >> looked at me like I was crazy, but did politely leave my area with
    > >> yogurt in hand. I few minutes later he came back in to ask if I had a
    > >> spoon to eat with, which we are out of at the moment, but no problem,
    > >> I handed him a fork. When his wrinkled brow indicated to me that he
    > >> now thought I was perfectly nuts, I just said, "Son, it's yogurt with
    > >> sweet crunchies,

    >
    > > The only part that doesn't work for me is the Greek style yogurt. I
    > > would prefer a thinner style of yogurt, but that is what my wife uses.
    > > She never had much use for yogurt until about a year ago when she
    > > discovered the Greek style stuff. She also was not a cereal eater until
    > > about a month ago when she started having Shredded Wheat with fruit and
    > > Greek Style yogurt.

    >
    > > it ought to fork just fine. And what's left at the
    > >> bottom of the cup will taste good straight off your finger!"
    > >> Some time later as I walked through his area to pick up prints, the
    > >> youngster commented that his "Loopy yogurt" really was good. God
    > >> Bless them, how I do love and respect all my Marines!
    > >> ...ProudPreparedPicky

    >
    > I have also become a huge fan of Greek yogurt. My favorite is Fage brand
    > 0% fat. I eat it almost every day with diced fresh fruit like a peach or
    > some mango, strawberries, blueberries or a combo of some or all. It's
    > one of the few ways I can get extra calcium as I can't take supplements
    > and milk disagrees with me.


    My problem with yogurt is that the plain full-fat kind doesn't come in
    anything smaller than quarts. I don't finish a quart before it goes
    bad, and to make my own, I need milk, which also comes in quarts.
    Reduced-fat yogurt gives me the runs, same as whole milk. And to think
    I was allergic to cream as a child! I end up eating more sour cream
    than yogurt.

    Jerry
    --
    Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can
    get.

  8. #8
    Nancy Young Guest

    Default Re: Solution for no Milk?

    On 7/27/2011 9:28 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:

    > I have also become a huge fan of Greek yogurt. My favorite is Fage brand
    > 0% fat. I eat it almost every day with diced fresh fruit like a peach or
    > some mango, strawberries, blueberries or a combo of some or all. It's
    > one of the few ways I can get extra calcium as I can't take supplements
    > and milk disagrees with me.


    Ditto on all counts (this time of the year it's nectarines), though
    I prefer the texture of the Chiobani. Still, I buy Kirkland from
    Costco, it's quite similar to Fage in its thick consistency.

    I buy sliced almonds online and put a bunch in my yogurt with
    whatever else. I like that crunch.

    nancy



  9. #9
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Solution for no Milk?

    On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 09:53:13 -0400, Nancy Young <email@replyto> wrote:

    > Still, I buy Kirkland from
    > Costco, it's quite similar to Fage in its thick consistency.


    I haven't tried any brand other than Fage. I don't eat much yogurt,
    and I can afford it so there's no reason. I've looked at the Trader
    Joe's brand, but I've seen so many complaints here about anything that
    isn't Fage - I haven't bothered.

    --

    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.

  10. #10
    Goomba Guest

    Default Re: Solution for no Milk?

    JeanineAlyse wrote:
    > Just sharing a bit of fun with a wee story on my solution for having
    > no milk on hand today....
    > One of my younger Marines came into the office area here that was long
    > ago designated as Miss Jeanine's Kitchen, to ask if there was
    > possibility of my having milk to spare for his little bag of Fruit
    > Loops breakfast cereal.
    > No, no milk about, but just try this, as I handed him a single-serve
    > container of Greek yogurt and told him to stir his ceral into it. He
    > looked at me like I was crazy, but did politely leave my area with
    > yogurt in hand. I few minutes later he came back in to ask if I had a
    > spoon to eat with, which we are out of at the moment, but no problem,
    > I handed him a fork. When his wrinkled brow indicated to me that he
    > now thought I was perfectly nuts, I just said, "Son, it's yogurt with
    > sweet crunchies, it ought to fork just fine. And what's left at the
    > bottom of the cup will taste good straight off your finger!"
    > Some time later as I walked through his area to pick up prints, the
    > youngster commented that his "Loopy yogurt" really was good. God
    > Bless them, how I do love and respect all my Marines!
    > ...ProudPreparedPicky


    I hate to say it but that story alarms me. Have the standard for Marines
    gone down?

  11. #11
    JeanineAlyse Guest

    Default Re: Solution for no Milk?

    On Jul 27, 9:25*am, Goomba <Goomb...@comcast.net> wrote:
    > I hate to say it but that story alarms me. Have the standard for Marines
    > gone down?- Hide quoted text -

    Have the standard for...gone down? Has you ever had a youngster
    appetite for sweet cereal, while also being of heart for others while
    an alarmist?
    ....PickySpits

  12. #12
    Goomba Guest

    Default Re: Solution for no Milk?

    JeanineAlyse wrote:
    > On Jul 27, 9:25 am, Goomba <Goomb...@comcast.net> wrote:
    >> I hate to say it but that story alarms me. Have the standard for Marines
    >> gone down?- Hide quoted text -

    > Have the standard for...gone down? Has you ever had a youngster
    > appetite for sweet cereal, while also being of heart for others while
    > an alarmist?
    > ...PickySpits


    I'm not sure what the above means, but Marines are renowned for their
    ability to "overcome, adapt, improvise" right? Any Marine who was
    befuddled by having to use a fork when their was no spoon available is,
    IMO, worrisome. Thick yogurt mixed with fruit loops shouldn't have been
    any problem to eat.

    I find wooden tongue blades (tongue depressors) very handy eating
    utensils when in a pinch.

  13. #13
    Wayne Boatwright Guest

    Default Re: Solution for no Milk?

    On Wed 27 Jul 2011 12:33:34p, Goomba told us...

    > JeanineAlyse wrote:
    >> On Jul 27, 9:25 am, Goomba <Goomb...@comcast.net> wrote:
    >>> I hate to say it but that story alarms me. Have the standard for
    >>> Marines gone down?- Hide quoted text -

    >> Have the standard for...gone down? Has you ever had a youngster
    >> appetite for sweet cereal, while also being of heart for others
    >> while an alarmist?
    >> ...PickySpits

    >
    > I'm not sure what the above means, but Marines are renowned for
    > their ability to "overcome, adapt, improvise" right? Any Marine
    > who was befuddled by having to use a fork when their was no spoon
    > available is, IMO, worrisome. Thick yogurt mixed with fruit loops
    > shouldn't have been any problem to eat.
    >
    > I find wooden tongue blades (tongue depressors) very handy eating
    > utensils when in a pinch.
    >


    Tw for chopsticks? :-)

    --

    ~~ If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it. ~~

    ~~ A mind is a terrible thing to lose. ~~

    ************************************************** ********

    Wayne Boatwright


  14. #14
    Dave Smith Guest

    Default Re: Solution for no Milk?

    On 26/07/2011 5:39 PM, James Silverton wrote:

    >>

    > A little while ago I was restricted to no solids for a few days. I found
    > an acceptable breakfast was a half cup of All-Bran cereal, a container
    > of ordinary yoghurt and a ripe banana blended until smooth. In my case I
    > used non-fat yoghurt.
    >



    Back in November when I was subjected to emergency heart surgery the
    last thing that I was thinking about in ICU was food. My first meal was
    semi solids. I had been eating yogurt occasionally for years. I could
    never handle it straight, but it was nice with fruit or a little bit of
    honey. I never liked the commercial fruit stuff..... until then. They
    gave me some Sillouette <sp> low fat artificially sweetened yogurt
    with bits of fruit in it. It really hit the spot for me.

    I have been eating yogurt almost every day since. I am supposed to have
    a serving of dairy with every meal now. I don't like milk and I am
    lactose intolerant, so yogurt is the way to go for me. I usually get the
    low fat, sugar free vanilla and put fruit in it. Occasionally I have the
    low fat plain with fruit.

    A few years ago when I was in sweeten I was eating cereal with kefir on
    it. The kefir over there is quite tasty.

  15. #15
    Miche Guest

    Default Re: Solution for no Milk?

    In article <4e301283$0$9671$c3e8da3$[email protected] m>,
    Janet Wilder <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I have also become a huge fan of Greek yogurt. My favorite is Fage brand
    > 0% fat. I eat it almost every day with diced fresh fruit like a peach or
    > some mango, strawberries, blueberries or a combo of some or all. It's
    > one of the few ways I can get extra calcium as I can't take supplements
    > and milk disagrees with me.


    More beans in your diet will help. They've got tons of calcium in them.

    Miche

    --
    Electricians do it in three phases

  16. #16
    Dave Smith Guest

    Default Re: Solution for no Milk?

    On 27/07/2011 9:28 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:

    >>

    >
    > I have also become a huge fan of Greek yogurt. My favorite is Fage brand
    > 0% fat. I eat it almost every day with diced fresh fruit like a peach or
    > some mango, strawberries, blueberries or a combo of some or all. It's
    > one of the few ways I can get extra calcium as I can't take supplements
    > and milk disagrees with me.
    >


    You should try kefir.... fermented milk. The bacteria and yeasts that
    turn milk into kefir are supposed to eat all the lactose. I am lactose
    intolerant and stopped drinking milk years ago because it disagreed with
    me so much. I have no problems at all with kefir.

  17. #17
    Melba's Jammin' Guest

    Default Re: Solution for no Milk?

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Goomba <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I hate to say it but that story alarms me. Have the standard for Marines
    > gone down?


    Why are you alarmed? Because the kid was unsure about stirring dry
    cereal into a cup of yogurt? Because he didn't have a spoon on him?
    C'mon, tell!! LOL!
    --
    Barb,
    http://web.me.com/barbschaller July 19, 2011 - Pickled Boiled Dirt Chunks

  18. #18
    gloria.p Guest

    Default Re: Solution for no Milk?

    On 7/27/2011 7:28 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:

    >>
    >>> No, no milk about, but just try this, as I handed him a single-serve
    >>> container of Greek yogurt and told him to stir his ceral into it. He
    >>> looked at me like I was crazy, but did politely leave my area with
    >>> yogurt in hand.




    Every breakfast smorgasbord in Scandinavia has two or three big pitchers
    of thin-textured yogurt, plain and flavored, for use on cold cereal.
    It's not half bad.

    gloria p

  19. #19
    Janet Wilder Guest

    Default Re: Solution for no Milk?

    On 7/27/2011 3:24 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
    > On 27/07/2011 9:28 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
    >
    >>>

    >>
    >> I have also become a huge fan of Greek yogurt. My favorite is Fage brand
    >> 0% fat. I eat it almost every day with diced fresh fruit like a peach or
    >> some mango, strawberries, blueberries or a combo of some or all. It's
    >> one of the few ways I can get extra calcium as I can't take supplements
    >> and milk disagrees with me.
    >>

    >
    > You should try kefir.... fermented milk. The bacteria and yeasts that
    > turn milk into kefir are supposed to eat all the lactose. I am lactose
    > intolerant and stopped drinking milk years ago because it disagreed with
    > me so much. I have no problems at all with kefir.


    I have tried it and I just don't like it. I think I like the Fage so
    much because it's so like sour cream and I was raised on fruit and sour
    cream as were most of the progeny of Russian grandparents. <g>

    --
    Janet Wilder
    Way-the-heck-south Texas
    Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

  20. #20
    Cindy Hamilton Guest

    Default Re: Solution for no Milk?

    On Jul 27, 9:45*am, Jerry Avins <j...@ieee.org> wrote:

    > My problem with yogurt is that the plain full-fat kind doesn't come in
    > anything smaller than quarts. I don't finish a quart before it goes
    > bad, and to make my own, I need milk, which also comes in quarts.


    Most Greek-style yogurts (I buy Fage) come in sizes down to one
    cup. IIRC I can also get Dannon plain in the "new" 6-oz size. It
    must
    be your grocery store.

    Milk also comes in pints. Every convenience store has it. Even my
    regular grocery store has milk in pints.

    Sorry about wherever it is that you shop.

    Cindy Hamilton

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32