Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Smoked Garlic Basil Beef Sausage (weekend project)

  1. #1
    Omelet Guest

    Default Smoked Garlic Basil Beef Sausage (weekend project)

    Made #21 of smoked beef garlic basil sausage. Same recipe as last time,
    but I tweaked it by seriously upping the basil and doubling the garlic.
    While it was good last time, it was not quite what I was after. I also
    smoked the entire batch this time.

    Picassa album link:

    <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet/SmokedSausage09202009#>

    Or:

    <http://tinyurl.com/mdnn3b>

    Recipe:

    Per 1 lb. of meat:

    1/4 tsp. sea salt
    1/4 tsp. white pepper
    1/4 tsp. dried rubbed or powdered sage
    1/4 tsp. powdered thyme
    1/2 tsp. powdered or whole celery seed
    1/8 tsp. allspice
    1 tsp. granulated garlic
    1/4 tsp. paprika
    1 Tbs. dried basil leaf

    Cube meat into 1" to 2" cubes and mix spices in well prior to grinding.
    Set the grinder up to stuff pork casings as the meat is ground.
    --
    Peace! Om

    "Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down."
    --Steve Rothstein

    [email protected]
    Subscribe: [email protected]

  2. #2
    zxcvbob Guest

    Default Re: Smoked Garlic Basil Beef Sausage (weekend project)

    Omelet wrote:
    > Made #21 of smoked beef garlic basil sausage. Same recipe as last time,
    > but I tweaked it by seriously upping the basil and doubling the garlic.
    > While it was good last time, it was not quite what I was after. I also
    > smoked the entire batch this time.
    >
    > Picassa album link:
    >
    > <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet/SmokedSausage09202009#>
    >
    > Or:
    >
    > <http://tinyurl.com/mdnn3b>
    >
    > Recipe:
    >
    > Per 1 lb. of meat:
    >
    > 1/4 tsp. sea salt
    > 1/4 tsp. white pepper
    > 1/4 tsp. dried rubbed or powdered sage
    > 1/4 tsp. powdered thyme
    > 1/2 tsp. powdered or whole celery seed
    > 1/8 tsp. allspice
    > 1 tsp. granulated garlic
    > 1/4 tsp. paprika
    > 1 Tbs. dried basil leaf
    >
    > Cube meat into 1" to 2" cubes and mix spices in well prior to grinding.
    > Set the grinder up to stuff pork casings as the meat is ground.



    Whoa. That's some serious garlic.

    Is 1/4 tsp enough salt to make the meat sticky (there's a technical word
    for that) so the sausage hold together?

    Most of my sausage making lately (as in several years, but I haven't
    made any this year yet) has been spiced primarily with mustard, black
    pepper, garlic, and nutmeg. The mustard and nutmeg replace the rubbed
    sage that I used to use. I'm still working on a bag of TenderQuick that
    I bought 10 years ago. When I finally use it up, I'll start mixing my
    own salt and Prague Powder cure.

    I have 3 pork butt roasts in the freezer that are destined for salami
    this winter... (don't dare make salami without curing salts)

    Bob

  3. #3
    Omelet Guest

    Default Re: Smoked Garlic Basil Beef Sausage (weekend project)

    In article <[email protected]>,
    zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Omelet wrote:
    > > Made #21 of smoked beef garlic basil sausage. Same recipe as last time,
    > > but I tweaked it by seriously upping the basil and doubling the garlic.
    > > While it was good last time, it was not quite what I was after. I also
    > > smoked the entire batch this time.
    > >
    > > Picassa album link:
    > >
    > > <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet/SmokedSausage09202009#>
    > >
    > > Or:
    > >
    > > <http://tinyurl.com/mdnn3b>
    > >
    > > Recipe:
    > >
    > > Per 1 lb. of meat:
    > >
    > > 1/4 tsp. sea salt
    > > 1/4 tsp. white pepper
    > > 1/4 tsp. dried rubbed or powdered sage
    > > 1/4 tsp. powdered thyme
    > > 1/2 tsp. powdered or whole celery seed
    > > 1/8 tsp. allspice
    > > 1 tsp. granulated garlic
    > > 1/4 tsp. paprika
    > > 1 Tbs. dried basil leaf
    > >
    > > Cube meat into 1" to 2" cubes and mix spices in well prior to grinding.
    > > Set the grinder up to stuff pork casings as the meat is ground.

    >
    >
    > Whoa. That's some serious garlic.


    That was the general idea. <G>
    It really was not too much.
    I used 1/2 that much last time and after smoking, you could barely taste
    it. I really wanted the garlic and basil to dominate.

    >
    > Is 1/4 tsp enough salt to make the meat sticky (there's a technical word
    > for that) so the sausage hold together?


    I stuffed it into casings so it does not matter.
    >
    > Most of my sausage making lately (as in several years, but I haven't
    > made any this year yet) has been spiced primarily with mustard, black
    > pepper, garlic, and nutmeg. The mustard and nutmeg replace the rubbed
    > sage that I used to use. I'm still working on a bag of TenderQuick that
    > I bought 10 years ago. When I finally use it up, I'll start mixing my
    > own salt and Prague Powder cure.


    I'm not making cured sausage at this point. The excess will be frozen
    for later use. I've considered adding some mustard as I like it. What
    amount of mustard powder do you add per lb. please?

    I have a bunch of pork still in the freezer I plan to make sausage out
    of soon's I get time. I currently have more heart and pork loin brining
    so will smoke that this weekend.
    >
    > I have 3 pork butt roasts in the freezer that are destined for salami
    > this winter... (don't dare make salami without curing salts)
    >
    > Bob


    Ah yes! Different kind of project. :-)
    --
    Peace! Om

    "Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down."
    --Steve Rothstein

    [email protected]
    Subscribe: [email protected]

  4. #4
    zxcvbob Guest

    Default Re: Smoked Garlic Basil Beef Sausage (weekend project)

    Omelet wrote:
    >
    > I'm not making cured sausage at this point. The excess will be frozen
    > for later use. I've considered adding some mustard as I like it. What
    > amount of mustard powder do you add per lb. please?
    >



    Here's a typical recipe. I haven't got it down quite right yet; I think
    it needs a mixture of beef and pork. 2/3 fatty pork (coarse grind) and
    1/3 beef hearts (fine grind) would probably be good. You can substitute
    half as much nutmeg for the coriander for a little different taste:

    Notice that the sausage is not cooked, and it's eaten raw. That's why
    the pork for the next batch is in the deep freezer for at least a couple
    of months -- kills the trichinae (yes, I know commercial pork doesn't
    have that problem anymore.)

    Beef Salami

    10 pounds beef chuck or brisket [brisket only because I'm having trouble
    finding reasonably priced chuck]
    3.2 oz. (90 grams) Morton's TenderQuick
    1.2 oz. (35 grams) dextrose
    0.8 oz. (23 grams) black pepper, cracked
    0.5 oz. (14 grams) dry mustard powder
    0.6 oz. (17 grams) coriander
    0.3 oz. (8 grams) whole mustard seed
    1 tsp (3 grams) grams garlic powder or granules
    1 cup dry milk powder (optional)
    1/4 tsp lactic starter culture for meat [I'm using "LHP" starter]

    Cut up meat into small chunks like stew meat. Mix in the Tender Quick,
    dextrose, spices. (The dry milk powder or equivalent soy protein
    concentrate is important if using all brisket.) Chill until almost
    frozen. Dissolve the starter culture and pinch of dextrose in 1/4 cup
    warm water and set aside. Mix dry milk into the meat and grind with a
    3/16" plate. Sprinkle with starter culture mixture and mix thoroughly.
    Stuff into beef middles or extra large hog casings. Pack in pans and
    cover with plastic wrap; ferment at 90 to 100 F. overnight. Smoke, if
    desired, at temperature not greater than 80 F. Hang in cool damp place
    to dry to about 70% original weight. Do not dry too fast or moisture
    will be trapped in the middle and the sausage will rot.

    This sausage does not require refrigeration.

  5. #5
    John Kane Guest

    Default Re: Smoked Garlic Basil Beef Sausage (weekend project)

    On Sep 21, 1:01*am, Omelet <ompome...@gmail.com> wrote:
    > Made #21 of smoked beef garlic basil sausage. Same recipe as last time,


    I'll be right over.

    > 1 tsp. granulated garlic


    What is 'granulated' garlic? I don't think I've heard the term before

    John Kane Kingston ON Canada

  6. #6
    zxcvbob Guest

    Default Re: Smoked Garlic Basil Beef Sausage (weekend project)

    John Kane wrote:
    > On Sep 21, 1:01 am, Omelet <ompome...@gmail.com> wrote:
    >> Made #21 of smoked beef garlic basil sausage. Same recipe as last time,

    >
    > I'll be right over.
    >
    >> 1 tsp. granulated garlic

    >
    > What is 'granulated' garlic? I don't think I've heard the term before
    >
    > John Kane Kingston ON Canada



    It's like garlic powder, but not ground as fine. HTH

    Bob

  7. #7
    John Kane Guest

    Default Re: Smoked Garlic Basil Beef Sausage (weekend project)

    On Sep 22, 5:07*pm, zxcvbob <zxcv...@charter.net> wrote:
    > John Kane wrote:
    > > On Sep 21, 1:01 am, Omelet <ompome...@gmail.com> wrote:
    > >> Made #21 of smoked beef garlic basil sausage. Same recipe as last time,

    >
    > > I'll be right over.

    >
    > >> 1 tsp. granulated garlic

    >
    > > What is 'granulated' garlic? *I don't think I've heard the term before

    >
    > > John Kane Kingston ON Canada

    >
    > It's like garlic powder, but not ground as fine. *HTH
    >
    > Bob


    Ah, I may have seen it a long time ago. Thanks

    John Kane Kingston ON Canada

  8. #8
    Omelet Guest

    Default Re: Smoked Garlic Basil Beef Sausage (weekend project)

    In article
    <[email protected]>,
    John Kane <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Sep 21, 1:01*am, Omelet <ompome...@gmail.com> wrote:
    > > Made #21 of smoked beef garlic basil sausage. Same recipe as last time,

    >
    > I'll be right over.
    >
    > > 1 tsp. granulated garlic

    >
    > What is 'granulated' garlic? I don't think I've heard the term before
    >
    > John Kane Kingston ON Canada


    A much less fine garlic powder. Garlic powder is like dust. This is more
    the consistency of salt.
    --
    Peace! Om

    "Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down."
    --Steve Rothstein

    [email protected]
    Subscribe: [email protected]

  9. #9
    Omelet Guest

    Default Re: Smoked Garlic Basil Beef Sausage (weekend project)

    In article <[email protected]>,
    zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Here's a typical recipe. I haven't got it down quite right yet; I think
    > it needs a mixture of beef and pork. 2/3 fatty pork (coarse grind) and
    > 1/3 beef hearts (fine grind) would probably be good. You can substitute
    > half as much nutmeg for the coriander for a little different taste:
    >
    > Notice that the sausage is not cooked, and it's eaten raw. That's why
    > the pork for the next batch is in the deep freezer for at least a couple
    > of months -- kills the trichinae (yes, I know commercial pork doesn't
    > have that problem anymore.)
    >
    > Beef Salami
    >
    > 10 pounds beef chuck or brisket [brisket only because I'm having trouble
    > finding reasonably priced chuck]
    > 3.2 oz. (90 grams) Morton's TenderQuick
    > 1.2 oz. (35 grams) dextrose
    > 0.8 oz. (23 grams) black pepper, cracked
    > 0.5 oz. (14 grams) dry mustard powder
    > 0.6 oz. (17 grams) coriander
    > 0.3 oz. (8 grams) whole mustard seed
    > 1 tsp (3 grams) grams garlic powder or granules
    > 1 cup dry milk powder (optional)
    > 1/4 tsp lactic starter culture for meat [I'm using "LHP" starter]
    >
    > Cut up meat into small chunks like stew meat. Mix in the Tender Quick,
    > dextrose, spices. (The dry milk powder or equivalent soy protein
    > concentrate is important if using all brisket.) Chill until almost
    > frozen. Dissolve the starter culture and pinch of dextrose in 1/4 cup
    > warm water and set aside. Mix dry milk into the meat and grind with a
    > 3/16" plate. Sprinkle with starter culture mixture and mix thoroughly.
    > Stuff into beef middles or extra large hog casings. Pack in pans and
    > cover with plastic wrap; ferment at 90 to 100 F. overnight. Smoke, if
    > desired, at temperature not greater than 80 F. Hang in cool damp place
    > to dry to about 70% original weight. Do not dry too fast or moisture
    > will be trapped in the middle and the sausage will rot.
    >
    > This sausage does not require refrigeration.


    Thanks, I've saved this.
    I do want to eventually play with cured and dried smoked sausage, but
    I'm not quite set up for it yet...
    --
    Peace! Om

    "Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down."
    --Steve Rothstein

    [email protected]
    Subscribe: [email protected]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32