Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Slowing banana ripening?

  1. #1
    Ken Guest

    Default Slowing banana ripening?

    Any tricks to slow down banana ripening? I bought a bunch of yellows
    (that's all they had, no green ones) last Saturday and by Tuesday the
    skins were covered with big brown splotches. I usually try to buy mostly
    green bananas and they last for five or six days.

    Any tips?

    TIA

    Ken


    --
    "When you choose the lesser of two evils, always
    remember that it is still an evil." - Max Lerner







  2. #2
    Goomba38 Guest

    Default Re: Slowing banana ripening?

    Ken wrote:
    > Any tricks to slow down banana ripening? I bought a bunch of yellows
    > (that's all they had, no green ones) last Saturday and by Tuesday the
    > skins were covered with big brown splotches. I usually try to buy mostly
    > green bananas and they last for five or six days.


    It might be too late for this batch but you can put them in the
    refrigerator as they get to the point where you like them. It will
    darken the skin but the fruit remains fairly unaffected, albeit cold to
    eat out of hand.

  3. #3
    Sheldon Guest

    Default Re: Slowing banana ripening?

    Ken <inva...@invalid.com> wrote:
    > Any tricks to slow down banana ripening? I bought a bunch of yellows
    > (that's all they had, no green ones) last Saturday and by Tuesday the
    > skins were covered with big brown splotches. I usually try to buy mostly
    > green bananas and they last for five or six days.
    >
    > Any tips?


    Freeze them. Peel and roll each in a sheet of waxpaper, twist the
    ends like a giant hard candy and place in freezer. Eat frozen,
    they're delicious, like banana ice cream. You can also coat with
    chocolate and nuts before freezing. I really enjoy watching women
    mouth frozen bananas.



  4. #4
    James Silverton Guest

    Default Re: Slowing banana ripening?

    Goomba38 wrote on Tue, 25 Mar 2008 17:37:11 -0400:

    G> Ken wrote:
    ??>> Any tricks to slow down banana ripening? I bought a bunch
    ??>> of yellows (that's all they had, no green ones) last
    ??>> Saturday and by Tuesday the skins were covered with big
    ??>> brown splotches. I usually try to buy mostly green bananas
    ??>> and they last for five or six days.

    G> It might be too late for this batch but you can put them in
    G> the refrigerator as they get to the point where you like
    G> them. It will darken the skin but the fruit remains fairly
    G> unaffected, albeit cold to eat out of hand.

    I does work and I have to do it since my preference in a
    naturally ripened banana is one with just a hint of green in the
    skin. When I was member of a household of 4, it was easy since
    tastes ranged from mine to my son's who liked them good and
    brown!

    James Silverton
    Potomac, Maryland

    E-mail, with obvious alterations:
    not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not


  5. #5
    Cindy Hamilton Guest

    Default Re: Slowing banana ripening?

    On Mar 25, 5:37*pm, Goomba38 <Goomb...@comcast.net> wrote:
    > Ken wrote:
    > > Any tricks to slow down banana ripening? I bought a bunch of yellows
    > > (that's all they had, no green ones) last Saturday and by Tuesday the
    > > skins were covered with big brown splotches. I usually try to buy mostly
    > > green bananas and they last for five or six days.

    >
    > It might be too late for this batch but you can put them in the
    > refrigerator as they get to the point where you like them. It will
    > darken the skin but the fruit remains fairly unaffected, albeit cold to
    > eat out of hand.


    I do that, and 20 seconds in the microwave makes the banana nearly
    room temperature. Of course, I typically only slice them up onto my
    cereal.

    Cindy Hamilton

  6. #6
    Paul M. Cook Guest

    Default Re: Slowing banana ripening?


    "Goomba38" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > Ken wrote:
    >> Any tricks to slow down banana ripening? I bought a bunch of yellows
    >> (that's all they had, no green ones) last Saturday and by Tuesday the
    >> skins were covered with big brown splotches. I usually try to buy mostly
    >> green bananas and they last for five or six days.

    >
    > It might be too late for this batch but you can put them in the
    > refrigerator as they get to the point where you like them. It will darken
    > the skin but the fruit remains fairly unaffected, albeit cold to eat out
    > of hand.


    I consulted an expert on this, Chiquita Banana. This was her response:

    "I'm Chiquita banana and I've come to say - Bananas have to ripen in a
    certain way- When they are fleck'd with brown and have a golden hue -
    Bananas taste the best and are best for you - You can put them in a salad -
    You can put them in a pie-aye - Any way you want to eat them - It's
    impossible to beat them - But, bananas like the climate of the very, very
    tropical equator - So you should never put bananas in the refrigerator."

    There ya go.

    Paul



  7. #7
    James Silverton Guest

    Default Re: Slowing banana ripening?

    Paul wrote on Wed, 26 Mar 2008 18:45:18 GMT:


    PMC> "Goomba38" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    PMC> news:[email protected]..
    ??>> Ken wrote:
    ??>>> Any tricks to slow down banana ripening? I bought a bunch
    ??>>> of yellows (that's all they had, no green ones) last
    ??>>> Saturday and by Tuesday the skins were covered with big
    ??>>> brown splotches. I usually try to buy mostly green
    ??>>> bananas and they last for five or six days.
    ??>>
    ??>> It might be too late for this batch but you can put them
    ??>> in the refrigerator as they get to the point where you
    ??>> like them. It will darken the skin but the fruit remains
    ??>> fairly unaffected, albeit cold to eat out of hand.

    PMC> I consulted an expert on this, Chiquita Banana. This was
    PMC> her response:


    PMC> "I'm Chiquita banana and I've come to say - Bananas have
    PMC> to ripen in a certain way- When they are fleck'd with
    PMC> brown and have a golden hue - Bananas taste the best and
    PMC> are best for you - You can put them in a salad - You can
    PMC> put them in a pie-aye - Any way you want to eat them -
    PMC> It's impossible to beat them - But, bananas like the
    PMC> climate of the very, very tropical equator - So you should
    PMC> never put bananas in the refrigerator."

    My wife used to sing that jingle to annoy me!

    James Silverton
    Potomac, Maryland

    E-mail, with obvious alterations:
    not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not


  8. #8
    Cindy Hamilton Guest

    Default Re: Slowing banana ripening?

    On Mar 26, 2:45*pm, "Paul M. Cook" <pmc...@gte.net> wrote:
    > "Goomba38" <Goomb...@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >
    > news:[email protected]..
    >
    > > Ken wrote:
    > >> Any tricks to slow down banana ripening? I bought a bunch of yellows
    > >> (that's all they had, no green ones) last Saturday and by Tuesday the
    > >> skins were covered with big brown splotches. I usually try to buy mostly
    > >> green bananas and they last for five or six days.

    >
    > > It might be too late for this batch but you can put them in the
    > > refrigerator as they get to the point where you like them. It will darken
    > > the skin but the fruit remains fairly unaffected, albeit cold to eat out
    > > of hand.

    >
    > I consulted an expert on this, Chiquita Banana. *This was her response:
    >
    > "I'm Chiquita banana and I've come to say - Bananas have to ripen in a
    > certain way- When they are fleck'd with brown and have a golden hue -
    > Bananas taste the best and are best for you - You can put them in a salad -
    > You can put them in a pie-aye - Any way you want to eat them - It's
    > impossible to beat them - But, bananas like the climate of the very, very
    > tropical equator - So you should never put bananas in the refrigerator."


    I like bananas only at a certain stage of ripeness. Once they're past
    that,
    they go in the garbage. Refrigerating them is the best compromise
    I've
    found.

    Cindy Hamilton

  9. #9
    Default User Guest

    Default Re: Slowing banana ripening?

    Cindy Hamilton wrote:


    > I like bananas only at a certain stage of ripeness. Once they're past
    > that, they go in the garbage. Refrigerating them is the best
    > compromise I've found.


    Garbage! Unborn loaves of banana bread cried out, then were silent.




    Brian

    --
    If televison's a babysitter, the Internet is a drunk librarian who
    won't shut up.
    -- Dorothy Gambrell (http://catandgirl.com)

  10. #10
    Paul M. Cook Guest

    Default Re: Slowing banana ripening?


    "Cindy Hamilton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    On Mar 26, 2:45 pm, "Paul M. Cook" <pmc...@gte.net> wrote:
    > "Goomba38" <Goomb...@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >
    > news:[email protected]..
    >
    > > Ken wrote:
    > >> Any tricks to slow down banana ripening? I bought a bunch of yellows
    > >> (that's all they had, no green ones) last Saturday and by Tuesday the
    > >> skins were covered with big brown splotches. I usually try to buy
    > >> mostly
    > >> green bananas and they last for five or six days.

    >
    > > It might be too late for this batch but you can put them in the
    > > refrigerator as they get to the point where you like them. It will
    > > darken
    > > the skin but the fruit remains fairly unaffected, albeit cold to eat out
    > > of hand.

    >
    > I consulted an expert on this, Chiquita Banana. This was her response:
    >
    > "I'm Chiquita banana and I've come to say - Bananas have to ripen in a
    > certain way- When they are fleck'd with brown and have a golden hue -
    > Bananas taste the best and are best for you - You can put them in a
    > salad -
    > You can put them in a pie-aye - Any way you want to eat them - It's
    > impossible to beat them - But, bananas like the climate of the very, very
    > tropical equator - So you should never put bananas in the refrigerator."


    I like bananas only at a certain stage of ripeness. Once they're past
    that,
    they go in the garbage. Refrigerating them is the best compromise
    I've
    found.


    Have you ever heard of banana bread? Banana muffins? Seems so wasteful to
    toss them when they need to be all mushy to worin in said pastries.

    Paul



  11. #11
    jmcquown Guest

    Default Re: Slowing banana ripening?

    Default User wrote:
    > Cindy Hamilton wrote:
    >
    >
    >> I like bananas only at a certain stage of ripeness. Once they're
    >> past that, they go in the garbage. Refrigerating them is the best
    >> compromise I've found.

    >
    > Garbage! Unborn loaves of banana bread cried out, then were silent.
    >
    > Brian
    >

    Ahhh, so very true! Banana bread cries out for overripe bananas... or is it
    the other way around?

    Jill


  12. #12
    KW Guest

    Default Re: Slowing banana ripening?


    "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected] ..
    > Default User wrote:
    >> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>> I like bananas only at a certain stage of ripeness. Once they're
    >>> past that, they go in the garbage. Refrigerating them is the best
    >>> compromise I've found.

    >>
    >> Garbage! Unborn loaves of banana bread cried out, then were silent.
    >>
    >> Brian
    >>

    > Ahhh, so very true! Banana bread cries out for overripe bananas... or is
    > it the other way around?
    >
    > Jill


    So does Chunky Monkey Ice Cream!

    KW



  13. #13
    Cindy Hamilton Guest

    Default Re: Slowing banana ripening?

    On Mar 26, 6:12*pm, "Default User" <defaultuse...@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > Cindy Hamilton wrote:
    > > I like bananas only at a certain stage of ripeness. *Once they're past
    > > that, they go in the garbage. *Refrigerating them is the best
    > > compromise I've found.

    >
    > Garbage! Unborn loaves of banana bread cried out, then were silent.


    Ohhh, I don't think two morbidly obese people need banana bread or
    any of those other treats you can make with overripe bananas.

    Using the refrigerator for banana storage is banana-bread birth
    control.

    Cindy Hamilton

  14. #14
    blake murphy Guest

    Default Re: Slowing banana ripening?

    On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 18:45:18 GMT, "Paul M. Cook" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >
    >"Goomba38" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]..
    >> Ken wrote:
    >>> Any tricks to slow down banana ripening? I bought a bunch of yellows
    >>> (that's all they had, no green ones) last Saturday and by Tuesday the
    >>> skins were covered with big brown splotches. I usually try to buy mostly
    >>> green bananas and they last for five or six days.

    >>
    >> It might be too late for this batch but you can put them in the
    >> refrigerator as they get to the point where you like them. It will darken
    >> the skin but the fruit remains fairly unaffected, albeit cold to eat out
    >> of hand.

    >
    >I consulted an expert on this, Chiquita Banana. This was her response:
    >
    >"I'm Chiquita banana and I've come to say - Bananas have to ripen in a
    >certain way- When they are fleck'd with brown and have a golden hue -
    >Bananas taste the best and are best for you - You can put them in a salad -
    >You can put them in a pie-aye - Any way you want to eat them - It's
    >impossible to beat them - But, bananas like the climate of the very, very
    >tropical equator - So you should never put bananas in the refrigerator."
    >
    >There ya go.
    >
    >Paul
    >


    i hear chiquita banana was really a white lady from yonkers.

    your pal,
    blake

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32