Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: The simple things in life?

  1. #1
    Andy Guest

    Default The simple things in life?

    The simple things in life?

    Cheeseburgers
    Mashed potatoes
    Caramelized onions

    Ahhh, the simple things in life.

    You?

    Andy

  2. #2
    A Moose in Love Guest

    Default Re: The simple things in life?

    On Jan 24, 10:56*am, Andy <a...@b.c> wrote:
    > The simple things in life?
    >
    > Cheeseburgers
    > Mashed potatoes
    > Caramelized onions
    >
    > Ahhh, the simple things in life.
    >
    > You?
    >
    > Andy


    Hungarian goulash with small lil' dumplings. But I'll take a
    cheeseburger any day as well.

  3. #3
    Andy Guest

    Default Re: The simple things in life?

    A Moose in Love <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Jan 24, 10:56*am, Andy <a...@b.c> wrote:
    >> The simple things in life?
    >>
    >> Cheeseburgers
    >> Mashed potatoes
    >> Caramelized onions
    >>
    >> Ahhh, the simple things in life.
    >>
    >> You?
    >>
    >> Andy

    >
    > Hungarian goulash with small lil' dumplings. But I'll take a
    > cheeseburger any day as well.



    A Moose in Love,

    I haven't had goulash in practically forever.

    I have the funniest feeling, from the long threads here on rfc about
    goulaush, that I've been missing out!

    Best,

    Andy

  4. #4
    sf Guest

    Default Re: The simple things in life?

    On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 07:58:00 -0800 (PST), A Moose in Love
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > Hungarian goulash with small lil' dumplings.


    You have my attention. Now, do you have any recipes to post for
    those?

    --

    Tell congress not to censor the web. Add your voice here.
    https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/

  5. #5
    A Moose in Love Guest

    Default Re: The simple things in life?

    On Jan 24, 11:59*am, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:
    > On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 07:58:00 -0800 (PST), A Moose in Love
    >
    > <parkstreetboo...@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Hungarian goulash with small lil' dumplings.

    >
    > You have my attention. *Now, do you have any recipes to post for
    > those?


    lil' dumplings:
    I think they are spelled nockeldi.
    it is just a basic spaetzle recipe. i also like to eat them with
    chili on top.
    they'll work with any euro type stew.

    2 cups flour
    2 eggs
    2 Tblsp. butter
    water to suit, about 3/4 cup
    salt and pepper to taste

    mix it all up.

    i rip the lil' dumplings off the main mix, but other people use a
    tsp. they should be about the size of a teaspoon. they don't need
    much time to cook. a few minutes. try one after a few minutes and
    see how you like it's doneness.

    >
    > --
    >
    > Tell congress not to censor the web. *Add your voice here.https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/



  6. #6
    Michael Kuettner Guest

    Default Re: The simple things in life?



    "A Moose in Love" schrieb :


    > lil' dumplings:
    > I think they are spelled nockeldi.


    Then it's some USAn concoction.
    The original is called Nockerl or Nocken.

    > it is just a basic spaetzle recipe.


    No.

    > i also like to eat them with
    > chili on top.
    > they'll work with any euro type stew.


    Not really.

    > 2 cups flour
    > 2 eggs
    > 2 Tblsp. butter
    > water to suit, about 3/4 cup
    > salt and pepper to taste


    > mix it all up.


    Just call them "flour dumplings". Neither Spätzle nor Nockerl
    are made that way.

    Cheers,

    Michael Kuettner


  7. #7
    Andy Guest

    Default Re: The simple things in life?

    "Michael Kuettner" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >
    >
    > "A Moose in Love" schrieb :
    >
    >
    >> lil' dumplings:
    >> I think they are spelled nockeldi.

    >
    > Then it's some USAn concoction.
    > The original is called Nockerl or Nocken.
    >
    >> it is just a basic spaetzle recipe.

    >
    > No.
    >
    >> i also like to eat them with
    >> chili on top.
    >> they'll work with any euro type stew.

    >
    > Not really.
    >
    >> 2 cups flour
    >> 2 eggs
    >> 2 Tblsp. butter
    >> water to suit, about 3/4 cup
    >> salt and pepper to taste

    >
    >> mix it all up.

    >
    > Just call them "flour dumplings". Neither Spätzle nor Nockerl
    > are made that way.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Michael Kuettner



    To all pasta I add a small amount of turmeric to golden it up from it's
    typical pasty yellow. Such a small amount doesn't affect flavor.

    Joy of Cooking's spaetzle recipe includes a small amount of double acting
    baking powder. Haven't tried that. Must puff them up a little.

    Andy

  8. #8
    sf Guest

    Default Re: The simple things in life?

    On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 13:50:17 -0800 (PST), A Moose in Love
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > lil' dumplings:
    > I think they are spelled nockeldi.
    > it is just a basic spaetzle recipe. i also like to eat them with
    > chili on top.
    > they'll work with any euro type stew.
    >
    > 2 cups flour
    > 2 eggs
    > 2 Tblsp. butter
    > water to suit, about 3/4 cup
    > salt and pepper to taste
    >
    > mix it all up.
    >
    > i rip the lil' dumplings off the main mix, but other people use a
    > tsp. they should be about the size of a teaspoon. they don't need
    > much time to cook. a few minutes. try one after a few minutes and
    > see how you like it's doneness.


    Thanks so much! Snipped and saved. I made nockeldi once a few months
    ago, but it was more of a batter. I didn't realize it was supposed to
    be more doughlike. I didn't have a spaetzle press/maker (whatever
    they're called)
    http://norecipes.com/wp-content/uplo...2-500x3341.jpg,
    so I used my ricer which made a mess because the batter came out the
    sides too - but it was still delicious. Next time, I'll put foil
    around the sides so the batter just comes out the holes in the bottom
    or maybe I'll try one of your methods.

    Here's the recipe I used

    Nockeldi (Hungarian noodles)
    http://norecipes.com/blog/2009/02/10...ken-paprikash/

    1 C flour
    2 large eggs
    2-4 Tbs plain yogurt


    To make the nockeldi, put the flour in a bowl and add the eggs, one at
    a time mixing to combine. Add the yogurt 1 tablespoon at a time until
    the dough is very wet and soft (about the texture of soft mochi), but
    not runny. Let the dough rest while the chicken cooks.

    (Obviously, I had no idea what mochi was supposed to be like)

    I'd love to find one of these (locally) someday
    http://www.asimplehomecook.com/wp-co...g-spaetzle.jpg

    --

    Tell congress not to censor the web. Add your voice here.
    https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/

  9. #9
    A Moose in Love Guest

    Default Re: The simple things in life?

    On Jan 24, 5:31*pm, "Michael Kuettner" <Michael.Kuett...@gmx.at>
    wrote:
    > "A Moose in Love" *schrieb :
    >
    > > lil' dumplings:
    > > I think they are spelled nockeldi.

    >
    > Then it's some USAn concoction.
    > The original is called Nockerl or Nocken.
    >
    > > it is just a basic spaetzle recipe.

    >
    > No.
    >
    > > i also like to eat them with
    > > chili on top.
    > > they'll work with any euro type stew.

    >
    > Not really.
    >
    > > 2 cups flour
    > > 2 eggs
    > > 2 Tblsp. butter
    > > water to suit, about 3/4 cup
    > > salt and pepper to taste
    > > mix it all up.

    >
    > Just call them "flour dumplings". Neither Spätzle nor Nockerl
    > are made that way.
    >


    oh ok. so enlighten me.


    > Cheers,
    >
    > Michael Kuettner



  10. #10
    Julie Bove Guest

    Default Re: The simple things in life?

    Andy wrote:
    > The simple things in life?
    >
    > Cheeseburgers
    > Mashed potatoes
    > Caramelized onions
    >
    > Ahhh, the simple things in life.
    >
    > You?
    >
    > Andy


    I used to like cheeseburgers. But I got kind of burned out on burgers and
    these days if I do have them I prefer no bun, no cheese, just a lot of
    onions (raw or cooked), tomato and lettuce on top.

    I do love mashed potatoes and onions pretty much any way you fix them.

    Can't do without my popcorn.

    Must have my beans. Any kind will do. Cold, hot, straight out of the can.

    And Diet Coke with Lime.

    I could live off of these things alone. Ah but the carbs! The carbs!



  11. #11
    Andy Guest

    Default Re: The simple things in life?

    "Julie Bove" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Can't do without my popcorn.



    Julie,

    Back in the 1980s we went to the mo vies and I was eating handfuls of
    popcorn and bit an uncooked kernel. Chipping a tooth.. Instant pain and to
    add insult to injury, I swallowed the chip of tooth! Dentist capped my
    tooth. I didn't touch popcorn for about 10 years, when at the movies, I
    hesitantly got a bucket of popcorn. Guess what? I chipped another tooth!!!

    Now I buy bagged already popped popcorn. Herr's brand. I've never found an
    unpopped kernel. I certainly don't chomp it like I used to.

    Best,

    Andy

  12. #12
    Michael Kuettner Guest

    Default Re: The simple things in life?



    "A Moose in Love" schrieb :
    <snip>

    > oh ok. so enlighten me.


    Nockerl (base recipe)

    300 g flour
    60 g molten butter
    2 eggs
    app. 1/8 l milk
    salt

    Mix flour, butter, eggs and salt and add as much
    milk as it takes to make a smooth and not too firm dough.
    Work the dough as little as possible and cook immediately.
    Use a Spaetzlehobel, a little spoon or anything to either
    form Nockerl or Spaetzle.
    Boil in salted water.

    Cheers,

    Michael Kuettner

  13. #13
    Chemo the Clown Guest

    Default Re: The simple things in life?

    On Jan 24, 5:13*pm, Andy <a...@b.c> wrote:
    > "Julie Bove" <julieb...@frontier.com> wrote:
    > > Can't do without my popcorn.

    >
    > Julie,
    >
    > Back in the 1980s we went to the mo vies and I was eating handfuls of
    > popcorn and bit an uncooked kernel. Chipping a tooth.. Instant pain and to
    > add insult to injury, I swallowed the chip of tooth! *Dentist capped my
    > tooth. I didn't touch popcorn for about 10 years, when at the movies, I
    > hesitantly got a bucket of popcorn. Guess what? I chipped another tooth!!!
    >
    > Now I buy bagged already popped popcorn. Herr's brand. I've never found an
    > unpopped kernel. I certainly don't chomp it like I used to.
    >
    > Best,
    >
    > Andy


    I'm pretty sure the chipped tooth got pooped out a long time ago.

  14. #14
    Tommy Joe Guest

    Default Re: The simple things in life?

    On Jan 24, 7:39*pm, "Julie Bove" <julieb...@frontier.com> wrote:

    > I used to like cheeseburgers. *But I got kind of burned out on burgers and
    > these days if I do have them I prefer no bun, no cheese, just a lot of
    > onions (raw or cooked), tomato and lettuce on top.
    >
    > I do love mashed potatoes and onions pretty much any way you fix them.
    >
    > Can't do without my popcorn.
    >
    > Must have my beans. *Any kind will do. *Cold, hot, straight out of the can.
    >
    > And Diet Coke with Lime.
    >
    > I could live off of these things alone. *Ah but the carbs! *The carbs!



    I don't know the history of putting food between bread for eating,
    but I have almost all my life preferred a hamburger steak over an
    ordinary hamburger smothered in a bun. I suspect the hamburger and
    other sandwich type foods came along as a means of dealing with the
    rush-rush of modern life - eating on the run. I can't see how anyone
    can take a hamburger over a hamburger steak on a platter with veggies
    and potatoes, mashed or otherwise. Really not an unhealthy meal at
    all. Crusty and brown on the outside, pink all the way through.
    Having said that, I suppose some foods are meant almost exclusively
    for sandwiches, like the chopped meat they use for Philly steak
    sandwiches. I imagine that would not be as good on a platter, but is
    great in a good roll that melts in the mouth. And the worse sandwich
    of all is what I call a bread sandwich - a fillet of fish about a 16th
    of an inch thick covered in batter and then stuck between two pieces
    of bread. Poverty food at a wealthy price.

    TJ

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32