Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: Shelf Life of Caramel Apples?

  1. #1
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Shelf Life of Caramel Apples?

    Somebody just gave me a couple individually-wrapped gourmet caramel
    apples from Mrs Prindable's:

    <http://www.mrsprindables.com/gifts/caramelapples.asp>

    Does the caramel hermetically seal the apple and prevent it from rotting?

    I had a bad run-in with a caramel apple when I was a kid and can't
    fathom ever eating one again. And since re-gifting is tacky, and I
    can't possibly bear to throw away good food, I need to know how long it
    will last before I can use rotten as an excuse to pitch it.

    If I put it next to my fruit cake, will they somehow draw life-force off
    of each other last even longer?

    -sw

  2. #2
    Lou Decruss Guest

    Default Re: Shelf Life of Caramel Apples?

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 08:54:01 -0500, Sqwertz <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Somebody just gave me a couple individually-wrapped gourmet caramel
    >apples from Mrs Prindable's:
    >
    ><http://www.mrsprindables.com/gifts/caramelapples.asp>
    >
    >Does the caramel hermetically seal the apple and prevent it from rotting?
    >
    >I had a bad run-in with a caramel apple when I was a kid and can't
    >fathom ever eating one again. And since re-gifting is tacky, and I
    >can't possibly bear to throw away good food, I need to know how long it
    >will last before I can use rotten as an excuse to pitch it.
    >
    >If I put it next to my fruit cake, will they somehow draw life-force off
    >of each other last even longer?
    >
    >-sw


    If you really refuse to eat them then give them away. Over 20 bucks
    for food art shouldn't be wasted. IIRC you had a tooth problem
    sometime back and that can be your excuse. If you refrigerate them
    they'll last a long time. What was your "bad run-in" with a caramel
    apple?

    Lou


  3. #3
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: Shelf Life of Caramel Apples?

    Lou Decruss wrote:

    > What was your "bad run-in" with a caramel apple?


    When I was 5, I dreamt that my whole family turned into caramel apples.
    They were chasing me around the house trying to turn me into a caramel
    apple, too! Needless to say, I didn't want to be a caramel apple. I
    still had my whole life in front of me.

    BTW: These are probably the Premier Economy versions of Mrs. Prindables.
    They probably come by the dozens VIA the QVC channel.
    Halloween-colored jimmies over caramel over apple. No nuts or gold leaf.

    -sw (hoping she doesn't read RFC...)

  4. #4
    Sheldon Guest

    Default Re: Shelf Life of Caramel Apples?

    On Oct 31, 9:54�am, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compst> wrote:
    > Somebody just gave me a couple individually-wrapped gourmet caramel
    > apples from Mrs Prindable's:
    >
    > <http://www.mrsprindables.com/gifts/caramelapples.asp>
    >
    > Does the caramel hermetically seal the apple and prevent it from rotting?
    >
    > I had a bad run-in with a caramel apple when I was a kid and can't
    > fathom ever eating one again. �And since re-gifting is tacky, andI
    > can't possibly bear to throw away good food, I need to know how long it
    > will last before I can use rotten as an excuse to pitch it.
    >
    > If I put it next to my fruit cake, will they somehow draw life-force off
    > of each other last even longer?
    >
    > -sw


    A candy coated apple will rot at least twice as quickly as an ordinary
    fresh apple... if it spent a week in transit since it was made it's
    probably already well into fermentation.... eat it rightaway or after
    you tire of admiring toss it in the compost heap. Apples emit
    ethylene gas, if it can't escape it will quickly rot the apple.


  5. #5
    news Guest

    Default Re: Shelf Life of Caramel Apples?


    "Sqwertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:gef2lq$lij$1@registered.motza[email protected]..
    > Somebody just gave me a couple individually-wrapped gourmet caramel apples
    > from Mrs Prindable's:
    >
    > <http://www.mrsprindables.com/gifts/caramelapples.asp>
    >
    > Does the caramel hermetically seal the apple and prevent it from rotting?


    Shelf life of a caramel apple is 30 days.



  6. #6
    Sheldon Guest

    Default Re: Shelf Life of Caramel Apples?

    On Oct 31, 11:39�am, "news" <n...@news.org> wrote:
    > "Sqwertz" <swe...@cluemail.compst> wrote in message
    >
    > news:gef2lq$lij$[email protected]..
    >
    > > Somebody just gave me a couple individually-wrapped gourmet caramel apples
    > > from Mrs Prindable's:

    >
    > > <http://www.mrsprindables.com/gifts/caramelapples.asp>

    >
    > > Does the caramel hermetically seal the apple and prevent it from rotting?

    >
    > Shelf life of a caramel apple is 30 days.


    You have a reference?


  7. #7
    Sheldon Guest

    Default Re: Shelf Life of Caramel Apples?

    On Oct 31, 11:51�am, Sheldon <PENMAR...@aol.com> wrote:
    > On Oct 31, 11:39 am, "news" <n...@news.org> wrote:
    >
    > > "Sqwertz" <swe...@cluemail.compst> wrote in message

    >
    > >news:gef2lq$lij$[email protected]..

    >
    > > > Somebody just gave me a couple individually-wrapped gourmet caramel apples
    > > > from Mrs Prindable's:

    >
    > > > <http://www.mrsprindables.com/gifts/caramelapples.asp>

    >
    > > > Does the caramel hermetically seal the apple and prevent it from rotting?

    >
    > > Shelf life of a caramel apple is 30 days.

    >
    > You have a reference?


    I do.

    http://www.mrsprindables.com/faq/


  8. #8
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: Shelf Life of Caramel Apples?

    Sheldon wrote:

    > Apples emit
    > ethylene gas, if it can't escape it will quickly rot the apple.


    This explains why you've lived so long. If you couldn't have vented all
    your gas here in RFC, then you'd have turned to sludge long ago.

    But in all fairness, your explanation is probably correct. There's
    always a first for everything (including my admitting Sheldon may be right).

    -sw

  9. #9
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: Shelf Life of Caramel Apples?

    Sheldon wrote:
    > On Oct 31, 11:51�am, Sheldon <PENMAR...@aol.com> wrote:
    >> On Oct 31, 11:39 am, "news" <n...@news.org> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Shelf life of a caramel apple is 30 days.

    >>
    >> You have a reference?

    >
    > I do.
    >
    > http://www.mrsprindables.com/faq/


    That says 14 days if refrigerated.

    I'll find a drunk homeless person to give it to on the way home. Plenty
    of those in downtown Austin.

    -sw

  10. #10
    Janet Guest

    Default Re: Shelf Life of Caramel Apples?

    Sqwertz wrote:
    > Somebody just gave me a couple individually-wrapped gourmet caramel
    > apples from Mrs Prindable's:
    >
    > <http://www.mrsprindables.com/gifts/caramelapples.asp>
    >
    > Does the caramel hermetically seal the apple and prevent it from
    > rotting?
    > I had a bad run-in with a caramel apple when I was a kid and can't
    > fathom ever eating one again. And since re-gifting is tacky, and I
    > can't possibly bear to throw away good food, I need to know how long
    > it will last before I can use rotten as an excuse to pitch it.
    >
    > If I put it next to my fruit cake, will they somehow draw life-force
    > off of each other last even longer?
    >
    > -sw


    According to the FAQ on the website you supplied, two weeks if
    refridgerated.

    I'd say less.



  11. #11
    news Guest

    Default Re: Shelf Life of Caramel Apples?


    "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    On Oct 31, 11:39?am, "news" <n...@news.org> wrote:
    > "Sqwertz" <swe...@cluemail.compst> wrote in message
    >
    > news:gef2lq$lij$[email protected]..
    >
    > > Somebody just gave me a couple individually-wrapped gourmet caramel
    > > apples
    > > from Mrs Prindable's:

    >
    > > <http://www.mrsprindables.com/gifts/caramelapples.asp>

    >
    > > Does the caramel hermetically seal the apple and prevent it from
    > > rotting?

    >
    > Shelf life of a caramel apple is 30 days.


    >You have a reference?

    http://shakechocolate.com/caramelapples.aspx



  12. #12
    Sheldon Guest

    Default Re: Shelf Life of Caramel Apples?

    On Oct 31, 1:21�pm, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compst> wrote:
    > Sheldon wrote:
    > > On Oct 31, 11:51 am, Sheldon <PENMAR...@aol.com> wrote:
    > >> On Oct 31, 11:39 am, "news" <n...@news.org> wrote:

    >
    > >>> Shelf life of a caramel apple is 30 days.

    >
    > >> You have a reference?

    >
    > > I do.

    >
    > >http://www.mrsprindables.com/faq/

    >
    > That says 14 days if refrigerated.


    Yes, I posted it, I read it... actually says smore than that... 14
    days is sort of an outside limit, says to consume as soon as possible

    > I'll find a drunk homeless person to give it to on the way home. �Plenty
    > of those in downtown Austin.


    And here I figured that's why you have it. LOL


  13. #13
    Sheldon Guest

    Default Re: Shelf Life of Caramel Apples?

    On Oct 31, 1:33*pm, "Janet" <boxh...@maine.rr.com> wrote:
    > Sqwertz wrote:
    > > Somebody just gave me a couple individually-wrapped gourmet caramel
    > > apples from Mrs Prindable's:

    >
    > > <http://www.mrsprindables.com/gifts/caramelapples.asp>

    >
    > > Does the caramel hermetically seal the apple and prevent it from
    > > rotting?
    > > I had a bad run-in with a caramel apple when I was a kid and can't
    > > fathom ever eating one again. *And since re-gifting is tacky, and I
    > > can't possibly bear to throw away good food, I need to know how long
    > > it will last before I can use rotten as an excuse to pitch it.

    >
    > > If I put it next to my fruit cake, will they somehow draw life-force
    > > off of each other last even longer?

    >
    > > -sw

    >
    > According to the FAQ on the website you supplied, two weeks if
    > refridgerated.
    >
    > I'd say less,


    Right... actually the FAQ says to eat as soon as possible after
    receiving, as in immediately...

    "Q How long will my caramel apple gifts stay fresh?

    A Our apple gifts are best enjoyed soon after receipt. If you're
    unable to enjoy it immediately, place your apple gift in the
    refrigerator. Typically, if refrigerated, apple gifts will remain
    fresh for two weeks. Remember Mother Nature is not perfect. So dont
    wait too long!"


  14. #14
    Lou Decruss Guest

    Default Re: Shelf Life of Caramel Apples?

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 10:22:00 -0500, Sqwertz <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Lou Decruss wrote:
    >
    >> What was your "bad run-in" with a caramel apple?

    >
    >When I was 5, I dreamt that my whole family turned into caramel apples.
    > They were chasing me around the house trying to turn me into a caramel
    >apple, too! Needless to say, I didn't want to be a caramel apple. I
    >still had my whole life in front of me.


    Eat those apples and nothing else until they're gone. You'll feel
    better about your troubled past and you'll sleep better. All your
    fears will be gone.

    Or let them turn rotten and continue living in fear. It's up to you
    Steve.

    >BTW: These are probably the Premier Economy versions of Mrs. Prindables.
    > They probably come by the dozens VIA the QVC channel.
    >Halloween-colored jimmies over caramel over apple. No nuts or gold leaf.


    I think the economy version is affytapple. You'll see a button to
    take you to Prindables from their site.

    http://www.affytapple.com/

    Lou

  15. #15
    Gregory Morrow Guest

    Default Re: Shelf Life of Caramel Apples?


    Sheldon wrote:

    On Oct 31, 1:21?pm, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compst> wrote:
    > Sheldon wrote:
    > > On Oct 31, 11:51 am, Sheldon <PENMAR...@aol.com> wrote:
    > >> On Oct 31, 11:39 am, "news" <n...@news.org> wrote:

    >
    > >>> Shelf life of a caramel apple is 30 days.

    >
    > >> You have a reference?

    >
    > > I do.

    >
    > >http://www.mrsprindables.com/faq/

    >
    > That says 14 days if refrigerated.


    Yes, I posted it, I read it... actually says smore than that... 14
    days is sort of an outside limit, says to consume as soon as possible

    > I'll find a drunk homeless person to give it to on the way home. ?Plenty
    > of those in downtown Austin.


    And here I figured that's why you have it. LOL
    -------------------

    GM replies:

    And here we declare Sheldon *already* the winner of *this* week's "Squirtz -
    Sheldon contretemps"...heck, it's too early for that Friday cocktail even
    yet but this'll put me in a GREAT mood for that "first pour", lol. Steve
    you are hereby B-E-A-T-E-N ...

    ;-P


    --
    Best
    Greg




  16. #16
    Lou Decruss Guest

    Default Re: Shelf Life of Caramel Apples?

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 12:18:57 -0500, Sqwertz <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Sheldon wrote:
    >
    >> Apples emit
    >> ethylene gas, if it can't escape it will quickly rot the apple.

    >
    >This explains why you've lived so long. If you couldn't have vented all
    >your gas here in RFC, then you'd have turned to sludge long ago.
    >
    >But in all fairness, your explanation is probably correct. There's
    >always a first for everything (including my admitting Sheldon may be right).


    He might be so just eat them. They look pretty darn good.

    Lou

  17. #17
    Lou Decruss Guest

    Default Re: Shelf Life of Caramel Apples?

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 13:45:37 -0600, "Gregory Morrow"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >GM replies:
    >
    >And here we declare Sheldon *already* the winner of *this* week's "Squirtz -
    >Sheldon contretemps"...heck, it's too early for that Friday cocktail even
    >yet but this'll put me in a GREAT mood for that "first pour", lol. Steve
    >you are hereby B-E-A-T-E-N ...


    It didn't seem like there was a competition to me.

    Lou

  18. #18
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: Shelf Life of Caramel Apples?

    Lou Decruss wrote:

    > I think the economy version is affytapple. You'll see a button to
    > take you to Prindables from their site.
    >
    > http://www.affytapple.com/


    Yep - Here's mine. Last apple on the page:

    http://www.affytapple.com/fundraising/product.asp

    $.62/each! Hrmpf!

    -sw

  19. #19
    Mark Thorson Guest

    Default Re: Shelf Life of Caramel Apples?

    Sqwertz wrote:
    >
    > I'll find a drunk homeless person to give it to on the way home. Plenty
    > of those in downtown Austin.


    Give it to that chick in the dirndl who hangs out
    with those seven runts.

  20. #20
    Sheldon Guest

    Default Re: Shelf Life of Caramel Apples?

    Lou Decruss wrote:
    > "Gregory Morrow"
    >
    > >And here we declare Sheldon *already* the winner of *this* week's "Squirtz -
    > >Sheldon contretemps"...heck, it's too early for that Friday cocktail even
    > >yet but this'll put me in a GREAT mood for that "first pour", lol. �Steve
    > >you are hereby B-E-A-T-E-N ...

    >
    > It didn't seem like there was a competition to me.


    Well, it wasn't a competion, sqwertz never had a chance.

    Everything sqwertz posts is in his pea brain a competition, but he
    *always' loses... in fact he want's to lose... had he wanted to win
    he'd have looked at the FAQ at the web site he posted and realized he
    never should have started this thread because the information he
    wanted was right there, even a retard would have realized what he
    wanted to know was in the FAQ and not made a biger ass of themself by
    starting this thread. If sqwertz just sat in his widdle hovel of a
    basement apt and STFU he'd be way ahead... Sqwertx is too dumb to
    realize his culinary knowledge is only at the caliber of the lowest
    lurker.


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32