Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: scone recipe

  1. #1
    julieg Guest

    Default scone recipe

    What a great idea, I will leave recipes soon, I teach cookery at
    school and would love to share ideas.

  2. #2
    Nancy2 Guest

    Default Re: scone recipe

    On Mar 10, 1:36*pm, julieg <i...@juliegrey.com> wrote:
    > What a great idea, I will leave recipes soon, I teach cookery at
    > school and would love to share ideas.


    Do you have any recipes from Europe?

    N. (Acting obo the Cabal (TINC).)


  3. #3
    Mr. Bill Guest

    Default Re: scone recipe

    On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 12:22:11 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Do you have any recipes from Europe?


    I am quite sure that scones were European.


    Remember....YOU are someone special...
    just like everyone else

  4. #4
    Ophelia Guest

    Default Re: scone recipe

    Mr. Bill wrote:
    > On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 12:22:11 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Do you have any recipes from Europe?

    >
    > I am quite sure that scones were European.
    >
    >
    > Remember....YOU are someone special...
    > just like everyone else


    What a nice post



  5. #5
    Mr. Bill Guest

    Default Re: scone recipe

    On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 20:12:15 -0000, "Ophelia" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >What a nice post



    You are welcome!


    Scones - European measurements


    Yield: 20 servings

    1 lb. self rising flour (or all purpose w/1 tsp. baking powder

    1 tsp. salt

    4 oz. butter

    2 oz. castor sugar (4 oz. = cup

    pt. milk

    beaten egg to glaze

    Filling:
    strawberry or raspberry jam

    qt. double cream whipped


    450 degrees F oven 810 minute.

    Sift flour and salt into bowl. Rub in butter until mixture resembled
    fine bread crumbs. Add castor sugar and mix to a soft dough with milk.
    Turn on to a lightly floured table knead quickly, then roll out to
    inch thickness. Cut into 20 rounds with 2 inch cutter.



  6. #6
    sf Guest

    Default Re: scone recipe

    On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 18:27:38 -0400, Mr. Bill <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 20:12:15 -0000, "Ophelia" <[email protected]>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>What a nice post

    >
    >
    >You are welcome!
    >
    >
    >Scones - European measurements
    >
    >

    Nancy made an "in joke" for rfc old timers... but thanks for the
    recipe!


    --
    I never worry about diets. The only carrots that
    interest me are the number of carats in a diamond.

    Mae West

  7. #7
    Mr. Bill Guest

    Default Re: scone recipe

    On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 22:23:02 -0700, sf <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Nancy made an "in joke" for rfc old timers... but thanks for the
    >recipe!


    Didn't mean to invade the private circle of old timers. Excuse my
    intrusion.



  8. #8
    jmcquown Guest

    Default Re: scone recipe

    "Mr. Bill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 22:23:02 -0700, sf <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Nancy made an "in joke" for rfc old timers... but thanks for the
    >>recipe!

    >
    > Didn't mean to invade the private circle of old timers. Excuse my
    > intrusion.
    >
    >


    Not an intrusion, simply an old reference. rfc used to be flooded with
    requests for "recipes from Europe" by students whose misguided instructor
    was (for whatever reason) trying to teach them about Usenet and newsgroups.
    The reply TINC (there is no Cabal) is a reference that allegedly many of the
    "regulars" controlled the ng. This is not, nor has it ever been, a
    moderated newsgroup. There are a few of us who have been on rfc for a
    decade or more, but TINC

    Jill


  9. #9
    George Guest

    Default Re: scone recipe

    jmcquown wrote:
    > "Mr. Bill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]..
    >> On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 22:23:02 -0700, sf <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Nancy made an "in joke" for rfc old timers... but thanks for the
    >>> recipe!

    >>
    >> Didn't mean to invade the private circle of old timers. Excuse my
    >> intrusion.
    >>
    >>

    >
    > Not an intrusion, simply an old reference. rfc used to be flooded with
    > requests for "recipes from Europe" by students whose misguided
    > instructor was (for whatever reason) trying to teach them about Usenet
    > and newsgroups. The reply TINC (there is no Cabal) is a reference that
    > allegedly many of the "regulars" controlled the ng. This is not, nor
    > has it ever been, a moderated newsgroup. There are a few of us who have
    > been on rfc for a decade or more, but TINC
    >
    > Jill


    Thanks for explaining the "TINC" thing... I was wondering what the heck
    it stood for...

  10. #10
    Mr. Bill Guest

    Default Re: scone recipe

    On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 09:23:51 -0400, "jmcquown" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >is a reference that allegedly many of the
    >"regulars" controlled the ng. This is not, nor has it ever been, a
    >moderated newsgroup


    No..it isn't moderated...but the "old timers" don't have a problem
    running anyone off if they don't agree with a new fresh idea or
    member. The "be-little-ers club" is in full force.

    I know you have been around for a long time...actually, I remember
    when you were dating Ray! What ever happened to Ray?


    Remember....YOU are someone special...
    just like everyone else

  11. #11
    Joseph Littleshoes Guest

    Default Re: scone recipe



    > On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 09:23:51 -0400, "jmcquown" wrote:
    >
    >
    >>is a reference that allegedly many of the
    >>"regulars" controlled the ng. This is not, nor has it ever been, a
    >>moderated newsgroup

    >
    >
    > No..it isn't moderated...but the "old timers" don't have a problem
    > running anyone off if they don't agree with a new fresh idea or
    > member. The "be-little-ers club" is in full force.


    However, that only effects the timid & weak. IMO RFC's reputation is a
    situation analogous to the dog whose bark is worse than it's bite. In
    this case RFC's reputations for being difficult is vastly overrated.
    And as a group, consequently, more interesting than its 'reputation'
    would lead one to think.

    Of course, perversity that i am, it finally got to me, and i subscribed
    to RFC. And began to read & interact with the group i had been "warned"
    about "in another group."

    At least xenophobia & national chauvinism is as ridiculous here as it is
    prevalent in those more regional cooking groups and way less likely to
    be used in any even remotely meaningful way here, in what is an
    international group.

    None of which stops rude people from being rude. And the existence of
    such open, moderated public forums can even be said to encourage the
    worst in some people, 'pour le outre.'

    The sheer size of this groups contribute to its own moderation, its too
    big for any one person or clique to control with autocratic absolutism.
    --
    Joseph Littleshoes


  12. #12
    jmcquown Guest

    Default Re: scone recipe

    "Mr. Bill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 09:23:51 -0400, "jmcquown" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>is a reference that allegedly many of the
    >>"regulars" controlled the ng. This is not, nor has it ever been, a
    >>moderated newsgroup

    >
    > No..it isn't moderated...but the "old timers" don't have a problem
    > running anyone off if they don't agree with a new fresh idea or
    > member. The "be-little-ers club" is in full force.
    >

    I don't see that old timers run people off unless they're spammers or
    trolls. The cross-posters who want to drag other ngs into this one for now
    reason, maybe. Maybe your take on things is different. <shrugs>

    > I know you have been around for a long time...actually, I remember
    > when you were dating Ray! What ever happened to Ray?
    >

    I broke our engagement. I'm afraid Ray may have been a casualty of
    Hurricane Katrina. He was always running off to "help" when there were
    hurricanes in the gulf. Everyone talks about New Orleans but the town where
    his remaining family (cousins) lived, Bay St. Louis, MS, was wiped off the
    map. I think he was there at the time.

    > Remember....YOU are someone special...
    > just like everyone else


    Everyone is special. Everyone has good points and bad points. Good times
    and bad times.

    Jill


  13. #13
    Miche Guest

    Default Re: scone recipe

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Mr. Bill <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 20:12:15 -0000, "Ophelia" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >What a nice post

    >
    >
    > You are welcome!
    >
    >
    > Scones - European measurements
    >
    >
    > Yield: 20 servings
    >
    > 1 lb. self rising flour (or all purpose w/1 tsp. baking powder
    >
    > 1 tsp. salt
    >
    > 4 oz. butter
    >
    > 2 oz. castor sugar (4 oz. = cup
    >
    > pt. milk
    >
    > beaten egg to glaze
    >
    > Filling:
    > strawberry or raspberry jam
    >
    > qt. double cream whipped
    >
    >
    > 450 degrees F oven 810 minute.
    >
    > Sift flour and salt into bowl. Rub in butter until mixture resembled
    > fine bread crumbs. Add castor sugar and mix to a soft dough with milk.
    > Turn on to a lightly floured table knead quickly, then roll out to
    > inch thickness. Cut into 20 rounds with 2 inch cutter.


    That's not a lot of baking powder. I tend to use 1 teaspoon per cup of
    plain flour if subsitituting for self-raising.

    Miche

    --
    Electricians do it in three phases

  14. #14
    Robert Klute Guest

    Default Re: scone recipe

    On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 11:36:00 -0700 (PDT), julieg <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >What a great idea, I will leave recipes soon, I teach cookery at
    >school and would love to share ideas.


    Here is a recipe from the Fairmont. It has been published many times.


    36 oz flour (2lb, 4oz)
    9 oz sugar
    9 oz butter (hard)
    2 oz baking powder
    6 oz raisins
    6 eggs
    16 oz whipping cream
    1/8 tsp salt

    Crumb flour, butter, sugar, baking powder & salt
    Add 5 eggs plus 1 egg white (save yolk for wash) slowly
    Add raisins
    Add cream and mix into smooth dough
    Roll out to 1/2-in thickness
    Cut into desired size and shape (should make ~ 35)
    Egg wash with reserved yolk
    Bake at 350 deg for 25-30 minutes

    Serve with clotted cream and jam.

  15. #15
    Miche Guest

    Default Re: scone recipe

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Robert Klute <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 11:36:00 -0700 (PDT), julieg <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >What a great idea, I will leave recipes soon, I teach cookery at
    > >school and would love to share ideas.

    >
    > Here is a recipe from the Fairmont. It has been published many times.
    >
    >
    > 36 oz flour (2lb, 4oz)
    > 9 oz sugar
    > 9 oz butter (hard)
    > 2 oz baking powder
    > 6 oz raisins
    > 6 eggs
    > 16 oz whipping cream
    > 1/8 tsp salt
    >
    > Crumb flour, butter, sugar, baking powder & salt
    > Add 5 eggs plus 1 egg white (save yolk for wash) slowly
    > Add raisins
    > Add cream and mix into smooth dough
    > Roll out to 1/2-in thickness
    > Cut into desired size and shape (should make ~ 35)
    > Egg wash with reserved yolk
    > Bake at 350 deg for 25-30 minutes
    >
    > Serve with clotted cream and jam.


    Huh. Eggs in scones. Who'd have thought it.

    Miche

    --
    Electricians do it in three phases

  16. #16
    Robert Klute Guest

    Default Re: scone recipe

    On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 12:46:12 +1300, Miche <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>,
    > Robert Klute <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 11:36:00 -0700 (PDT), julieg <[email protected]>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >What a great idea, I will leave recipes soon, I teach cookery at
    >> >school and would love to share ideas.

    >>
    >> Here is a recipe from the Fairmont. It has been published many times.
    >>
    >>
    >> 36 oz flour (2lb, 4oz)
    >> 9 oz sugar
    >> 9 oz butter (hard)
    >> 2 oz baking powder
    >> 6 oz raisins
    >> 6 eggs
    >> 16 oz whipping cream
    >> 1/8 tsp salt
    >>
    >> Crumb flour, butter, sugar, baking powder & salt
    >> Add 5 eggs plus 1 egg white (save yolk for wash) slowly
    >> Add raisins
    >> Add cream and mix into smooth dough
    >> Roll out to 1/2-in thickness
    >> Cut into desired size and shape (should make ~ 35)
    >> Egg wash with reserved yolk
    >> Bake at 350 deg for 25-30 minutes
    >>
    >> Serve with clotted cream and jam.

    >
    >Huh. Eggs in scones. Who'd have thought it.



    I have an alternate recipe from the Fairmont in San Jose that doesn't
    include eggs.

    1 lb all-purpose flour
    1 lb bread flour
    8 oz sugar
    10 oz butter
    1 1/2 oz baking powder
    11 oz milk
    6 oz raisins or currants

    cream butter and sugar in mixer
    add flours and baking powder
    slowly add milk until dough comes together
    mix in raisins/currants
    roll out dough to 3/4" thickness, shape in to 2" rounds
    bake at 375 for 20 minutes.

  17. #17
    Miche Guest

    Default Re: scone recipe

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Robert Klute <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 12:46:12 +1300, Miche <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >In article <[email protected]>,
    > > Robert Klute <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >> On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 11:36:00 -0700 (PDT), julieg <[email protected]>
    > >> wrote:
    > >>
    > >> >What a great idea, I will leave recipes soon, I teach cookery at
    > >> >school and would love to share ideas.
    > >>
    > >> Here is a recipe from the Fairmont. It has been published many times.
    > >>
    > >>
    > >> 36 oz flour (2lb, 4oz)
    > >> 9 oz sugar
    > >> 9 oz butter (hard)
    > >> 2 oz baking powder
    > >> 6 oz raisins
    > >> 6 eggs
    > >> 16 oz whipping cream
    > >> 1/8 tsp salt
    > >>
    > >> Crumb flour, butter, sugar, baking powder & salt
    > >> Add 5 eggs plus 1 egg white (save yolk for wash) slowly
    > >> Add raisins
    > >> Add cream and mix into smooth dough
    > >> Roll out to 1/2-in thickness
    > >> Cut into desired size and shape (should make ~ 35)
    > >> Egg wash with reserved yolk
    > >> Bake at 350 deg for 25-30 minutes
    > >>
    > >> Serve with clotted cream and jam.

    > >
    > >Huh. Eggs in scones. Who'd have thought it.

    >
    >
    > I have an alternate recipe from the Fairmont in San Jose that doesn't
    > include eggs.
    >
    > 1 lb all-purpose flour
    > 1 lb bread flour
    > 8 oz sugar
    > 10 oz butter
    > 1 1/2 oz baking powder
    > 11 oz milk
    > 6 oz raisins or currants
    >
    > cream butter and sugar in mixer
    > add flours and baking powder
    > slowly add milk until dough comes together
    > mix in raisins/currants
    > roll out dough to 3/4" thickness, shape in to 2" rounds
    > bake at 375 for 20 minutes.


    Yeah, that sounds more like what I know as a scone. Not sure about the
    bread flour, though -- too much protein makes for a tough scone.

    Miche

    --
    Electricians do it in three phases

  18. #18
    Robert Klute Guest

    Default Re: scone recipe

    On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 16:13:07 +1300, Miche <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>,
    > Robert Klute <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 12:46:12 +1300, Miche <[email protected]>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >In article <[email protected]>,
    >> > Robert Klute <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> >
    >> >> On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 11:36:00 -0700 (PDT), julieg <[email protected]>
    >> >> wrote:
    >> >>
    >> >> >What a great idea, I will leave recipes soon, I teach cookery at
    >> >> >school and would love to share ideas.
    >> >>
    >> >> Here is a recipe from the Fairmont. It has been published many times.
    >> >>
    >> >>
    >> >> 36 oz flour (2lb, 4oz)
    >> >> 9 oz sugar
    >> >> 9 oz butter (hard)
    >> >> 2 oz baking powder
    >> >> 6 oz raisins
    >> >> 6 eggs
    >> >> 16 oz whipping cream
    >> >> 1/8 tsp salt
    >> >>
    >> >> Crumb flour, butter, sugar, baking powder & salt
    >> >> Add 5 eggs plus 1 egg white (save yolk for wash) slowly
    >> >> Add raisins
    >> >> Add cream and mix into smooth dough
    >> >> Roll out to 1/2-in thickness
    >> >> Cut into desired size and shape (should make ~ 35)
    >> >> Egg wash with reserved yolk
    >> >> Bake at 350 deg for 25-30 minutes
    >> >>
    >> >> Serve with clotted cream and jam.
    >> >
    >> >Huh. Eggs in scones. Who'd have thought it.

    >>
    >>
    >> I have an alternate recipe from the Fairmont in San Jose that doesn't
    >> include eggs.
    >>
    >> 1 lb all-purpose flour
    >> 1 lb bread flour
    >> 8 oz sugar
    >> 10 oz butter
    >> 1 1/2 oz baking powder
    >> 11 oz milk
    >> 6 oz raisins or currants
    >>
    >> cream butter and sugar in mixer
    >> add flours and baking powder
    >> slowly add milk until dough comes together
    >> mix in raisins/currants
    >> roll out dough to 3/4" thickness, shape in to 2" rounds
    >> bake at 375 for 20 minutes.

    >
    >Yeah, that sounds more like what I know as a scone. Not sure about the
    >bread flour, though -- too much protein makes for a tough scone.
    >
    >Miche



    I don't write them, I just accumulate them. But, you're right, I would
    have done 1/2 AP, 1/2 cake flour.

  19. #19
    Becca Guest

    Default Re: scone recipe

    Miche wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > Robert Klute <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >
    >> On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 12:46:12 +1300, Miche <[email protected]>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>> In article <[email protected]>,
    >>> Robert Klute <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>> On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 11:36:00 -0700 (PDT), julieg <[email protected]>
    >>>> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>> What a great idea, I will leave recipes soon, I teach cookery at
    >>>>> school and would love to share ideas.
    >>>>>
    >>>> Here is a recipe from the Fairmont. It has been published many times.
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> 36 oz flour (2lb, 4oz)
    >>>> 9 oz sugar
    >>>> 9 oz butter (hard)
    >>>> 2 oz baking powder
    >>>> 6 oz raisins
    >>>> 6 eggs
    >>>> 16 oz whipping cream
    >>>> 1/8 tsp salt
    >>>>
    >>>> Crumb flour, butter, sugar, baking powder & salt
    >>>> Add 5 eggs plus 1 egg white (save yolk for wash) slowly
    >>>> Add raisins
    >>>> Add cream and mix into smooth dough
    >>>> Roll out to 1/2-in thickness
    >>>> Cut into desired size and shape (should make ~ 35)
    >>>> Egg wash with reserved yolk
    >>>> Bake at 350 deg for 25-30 minutes
    >>>>
    >>>> Serve with clotted cream and jam.
    >>>>
    >>> Huh. Eggs in scones. Who'd have thought it.
    >>>

    >> I have an alternate recipe from the Fairmont in San Jose that doesn't
    >> include eggs.
    >>
    >> 1 lb all-purpose flour
    >> 1 lb bread flour
    >> 8 oz sugar
    >> 10 oz butter
    >> 1 1/2 oz baking powder
    >> 11 oz milk
    >> 6 oz raisins or currants
    >>
    >> cream butter and sugar in mixer
    >> add flours and baking powder
    >> slowly add milk until dough comes together
    >> mix in raisins/currants
    >> roll out dough to 3/4" thickness, shape in to 2" rounds
    >> bake at 375 for 20 minutes.
    >>

    >
    > Yeah, that sounds more like what I know as a scone. Not sure about the
    > bread flour, though -- too much protein makes for a tough scone.
    >
    > Miche



    Thanks for posting these scone recipes. I am going to experiment with a
    gluten free mix and we will see how it turns out.


    Becca

  20. #20
    sf Guest

    Default Re: scone recipe

    On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 19:22:50 -0500, Becca <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >Thanks for posting these scone recipes. I am going to experiment with a
    >gluten free mix and we will see how it turns out.
    >

    I hope people post more scone *and mustard* recipes... they are my
    favorites.


    --
    I never worry about diets. The only carrots that
    interest me are the number of carats in a diamond.

    Mae West

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32