Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Saturday Smoking

  1. #1
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Saturday Smoking

    Beef short ribs are the probably the best cut of beef to smoke.
    These were just salt and peppered, and taken to about 185 (temps
    vary due to thickness of each rib). I didn't pre-order these, so I
    got the 3 inch ribs rather than whole ribs.

    http://i41.tinypic.com/dmwmxd.jpg

    The loins have been brined as per previous post.

    [2 pieces cured with salt, sugar, garlic, potassium phosphate and
    prague #1. The other should be a really spicy cajunish type
    concoction - hot paprika, thyme, hot pepper, garlic and onion
    puree/juice, sugar, #1. Smoking over pecan.]

    The two where I used sodium and potassium phosphates in the brine
    turned out very juicy, without being rubbery at all - a common side
    affect of using to much phosphate. I used 1 tsp per half gallon of
    brine. They look dry in the sliced picture, but they're very moist.

    The cajun-brined loin, which was the largest piece of all, was
    unphosphated and slightly dry. It was also hotter when I took it
    out of the smoker even though they spent the same amount of time on
    the smoker. Apparently the phosphates affect temp as well, probably
    because of water retention within the meat. I expect the cajun-loin
    to even out and improve as it rests. I've only tasted an end-piece.

    http://i43.tinypic.com/33nhget.jpg (pork loins)'

    The cajun loin was 172 when I took it off (oops), the two Canadians
    were 162-164. You can see that I needed to brine just a few more
    hours by the grey spot int he middle of the sliced loin. But I'm an
    impatient SOB. Sosume.

    http://i39.tinypic.com/wt9f80.jpg

    All in all, a good smoke. And I have another one scheduled for
    tomorrow. Spares, thymus, and sausage. Right now it's time to chow
    down on some short ribs and brussels sprouts and a gift of Remy
    Martin VSOP Cognac.

    -sw

  2. #2
    Christine Dabney Guest

    Default Re: Saturday Smoking

    On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 19:08:15 -0500, Sqwertz <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Beef short ribs are the probably the best cut of beef to smoke.
    >These were just salt and peppered, and taken to about 185 (temps
    >vary due to thickness of each rib). I didn't pre-order these, so I
    >got the 3 inch ribs rather than whole ribs.
    >
    >http://i41.tinypic.com/dmwmxd.jpg


    Nice to know. I have some beef short ribs in the freezer and have been
    trying to figure what to do with them. It's a bit late in the season
    to braise/stew/etc...

    Smoking them sounds like a great idea.....
    Thanks for the idea Steve, even though it wasn't intentional.

    Christine
    --
    http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com

  3. #3
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: Saturday Smoking

    Christine Dabney <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Smoking [short ribs] sounds like a great idea.....
    > Thanks for the idea Steve, even though it wasn't intentional.


    All my food-related posts are supposed to be food for thought.
    Despite much of the BS floating around here, I often have seeds
    planted in my mind from others posts. And I hope to return the
    same. I'm glad you something useful :-)

    -sw

  4. #4
    blake murphy Guest

    Default Re: Saturday Smoking

    On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 20:31:45 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

    > Christine Dabney <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Smoking [short ribs] sounds like a great idea.....
    >> Thanks for the idea Steve, even though it wasn't intentional.

    >
    > All my food-related posts are supposed to be food for thought.
    > Despite much of the BS floating around here, I often have seeds
    > planted in my mind from others posts. And I hope to return the
    > same. I'm glad you something useful :-)
    >
    > -sw


    it all looked pretty good.

    your pal,
    blake

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32