Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Rock Fish

  1. #1
    ImStillMags Guest

    Default Rock Fish

    They had some good looking rock fish at the grocery today. Wild
    caught Pacific rock cod is actually what it is. I'm having a couple
    of friends over tonight for dinner and a movie, we are going to watch
    "Hugo".

    I'm going to lightly dredge the rock fish and saute it. I'll keep it
    warm in the oven while I
    make the sauce to go with it.

    I'm making crawfish mueniere to top the rock fish.

    I'm serving fresh asparagus and a cauliflower mash along side.

    We'll have a nice sauvignon blanc with the meal.

    I'll try to remember to take pictures and post them.

  2. #2
    Chemo the Clown Guest

    Default Re: Rock Fish

    On Mar 3, 1:57*pm, ImStillMags <sitara8...@gmail.com> wrote:
    > They had some good looking rock fish at the grocery today. *Wild
    > caught Pacific rock cod is actually what it is. * I'm having a couple
    > of friends over tonight for dinner and a movie, we are going to watch
    > "Hugo".
    >
    > I'm going to lightly dredge the rock fish and saute it. * I'll keep it
    > warm in the oven while I
    > make the sauce to go with it.
    >
    > I'm making crawfish mueniere to top the rock fish.
    >
    > I'm serving fresh asparagus and a cauliflower mash along side.
    >
    > We'll have a nice sauvignon blanc with the meal.
    >
    > I'll try to remember to take pictures and post them.


    I forgot...what time is dinner again?

  3. #3
    ImStillMags Guest

    Default Re: Rock Fish

    On Mar 3, 2:41*pm, Chemo the Clown <bhansen1...@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > On Mar 3, 1:57*pm, ImStillMags <sitara8...@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    > > They had some good looking rock fish at the grocery today. *Wild
    > > caught Pacific rock cod is actually what it is. * I'm having a couple
    > > of friends over tonight for dinner and a movie, we are going to watch
    > > "Hugo".

    >
    > > I'm going to lightly dredge the rock fish and saute it. * I'll keep it
    > > warm in the oven while I
    > > make the sauce to go with it.

    >
    > > I'm making crawfish mueniere to top the rock fish.

    >
    > > I'm serving fresh asparagus and a cauliflower mash along side.

    >
    > > We'll have a nice sauvignon blanc with the meal.

    >
    > > I'll try to remember to take pictures and post them.

    >
    > I forgot...what time is dinner again?


    About 7pm, Pacific time ;-)

  4. #4
    merryb Guest

    Default Re: Rock Fish

    On Mar 3, 1:57*pm, ImStillMags <sitara8...@gmail.com> wrote:
    > They had some good looking rock fish at the grocery today. *Wild
    > caught Pacific rock cod is actually what it is. * I'm having a couple
    > of friends over tonight for dinner and a movie, we are going to watch
    > "Hugo".
    >
    > I'm going to lightly dredge the rock fish and saute it. * I'll keep it
    > warm in the oven while I
    > make the sauce to go with it.
    >
    > I'm making crawfish mueniere to top the rock fish.
    >
    > I'm serving fresh asparagus and a cauliflower mash along side.
    >
    > We'll have a nice sauvignon blanc with the meal.
    >
    > I'll try to remember to take pictures and post them.


    That sounds great! I just saw that Hugo was on PPV, and had suggested
    to the husband that we watch it, but he's not thrilled about watching
    a "kid's" movie. I wish they'd show Bridesmaids as I'd love to see
    that again...

  5. #5
    spamtrap1888 Guest

    Default Re: Rock Fish

    On Mar 3, 1:57*pm, ImStillMags <sitara8...@gmail.com> wrote:
    > They had some good looking rock fish at the grocery today. *Wild
    > caught Pacific rock cod is actually what it is. * I'm having a couple
    > of friends over tonight for dinner and a movie, we are going to watch
    > "Hugo".
    >
    > I'm going to lightly dredge the rock fish and saute it. * I'll keep it
    > warm in the oven while I
    > make the sauce to go with it.
    >
    > I'm making crawfish mueniere to top the rock fish.
    >
    > I'm serving fresh asparagus and a cauliflower mash along side.
    >
    > We'll have a nice sauvignon blanc with the meal.
    >
    > I'll try to remember to take pictures and post them.


    Having fished a lot and eaten what I caught, I consider tock cod to be
    a rather coarse fish, not worthy of such delicate preparations.
    IMNSHO, it's better in spicier preparations like Snapper* Veracruzano
    or even fish curry.

    *Not because it's often called "red snapper."

    That would be a great way to treat a flatfish, like sanddabs or
    petrale sole, though.

  6. #6
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Rock Fish

    On Sat, 3 Mar 2012 18:00:10 -0800 (PST), merryb <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > That sounds great! I just saw that Hugo was on PPV, and had suggested
    > to the husband that we watch it, but he's not thrilled about watching
    > a "kid's" movie.


    I want to see Hugo! We were going to take GS to see it a couple of
    weeks ago, but I was sick so hubby took him. Now we have to Netflix
    it and who knows how long that will take since it has won some awards.

    --
    Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

  7. #7
    atec77 Guest

    Default Re: Rock Fish

    On 4/03/2012 5:37 PM, sf wrote:
    > On Sat, 3 Mar 2012 18:00:10 -0800 (PST), merryb<[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> That sounds great! I just saw that Hugo was on PPV, and had suggested
    >> to the husband that we watch it, but he's not thrilled about watching
    >> a "kid's" movie.

    >
    > I want to see Hugo! We were going to take GS to see it a couple of
    > weeks ago, but I was sick so hubby took him. Now we have to Netflix
    > it and who knows how long that will take since it has won some awards.
    >

    Go watch "War Horse"

    it will make you teary for sure

    --









    X-No-Archive: Yes


  8. #8
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Rock Fish

    On Sat, 3 Mar 2012 19:31:00 -0800 (PST), spamtrap1888
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Having fished a lot and eaten what I caught, I consider tock cod to be
    > a rather coarse fish, not worthy of such delicate preparations.
    > IMNSHO, it's better in spicier preparations like Snapper* Veracruzano
    > or even fish curry.


    Rock cod is a generic term for many fish (you should know that), so
    your rock cod could be far different from hers. My favorite is the
    yellow one and it's flesh is far from "coarse". I usually use white
    wine and lemon when I cook fish, but veracruz would be fantastic for
    that rock cod. I want to eat at your house the next time you catch
    one and prepare it that way.
    >
    > *Not because it's often called "red snapper."
    >
    > That would be a great way to treat a flatfish, like sanddabs or
    > petrale sole, though.


    Only if it's barely coated in flour, sautéed quickly and served with a
    butter sauce.


    --
    Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

  9. #9
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Rock Fish

    On Sun, 04 Mar 2012 17:43:39 +1000, atec77 <"atec77 "@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    > On 4/03/2012 5:37 PM, sf wrote:
    > > On Sat, 3 Mar 2012 18:00:10 -0800 (PST), merryb<[email protected]>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >> That sounds great! I just saw that Hugo was on PPV, and had suggested
    > >> to the husband that we watch it, but he's not thrilled about watching
    > >> a "kid's" movie.

    > >
    > > I want to see Hugo! We were going to take GS to see it a couple of
    > > weeks ago, but I was sick so hubby took him. Now we have to Netflix
    > > it and who knows how long that will take since it has won some awards.
    > >

    > Go watch "War Horse"
    >

    Saw that one at the movies. It was good, but the advertising hype
    ruined it for me because I expected more.

    > it will make you teary for sure


    No tears here.

    --
    Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

  10. #10
    Cheryl Guest

    Default Re: Rock Fish

    On 3/4/2012 2:47 AM, sf wrote:

    > Rock cod is a generic term for many fish (you should know that), so
    > your rock cod could be far different from hers.


    Here in MD rockfish is striped bass. The MD state fish.
    http://www.msa.md.gov/msa/mdmanual/0...bols/fish.html


  11. #11
    ImStillMags Guest

    Default Re: Rock Fish

    On Mar 3, 6:00*pm, merryb <msg...@juno.com> wrote:

    >
    > That sounds great! I just saw that Hugo was on PPV, and had suggested
    > to the husband that we watch it, but he's not thrilled about watching
    > a "kid's" movie. I wish they'd show Bridesmaids as I'd love to see
    > that again...



    Well.....I forgot to take pictures, we were talking and having a good
    time while I put the finishing touches on the meal. But it was really
    really good. I sprinkled the rock fish on one side with Tony
    Chacheries and on the other side with Paul Prudhommes seafood magic,
    lightly coated it with flour and sauteed it off in a combo of olive
    oil and butter.
    I let it sit in a 200 oven while I made the crawfish muniere sauce.

    The combination was heavenly. The fish was tender and very flavorful
    and the crawfish muniere just put it over the top.

    We ate too much and drank too much wine and completely enjoyed Hugo.

    BTW Hugo is NOT a kids movie. It's quite magical and richly
    deserved it's awards.

    It's not what you would expect from Scorsese. Kudo's to him.





  12. #12
    merryb Guest

    Default Re: Rock Fish

    On Mar 3, 11:43*pm, atec77 <"atec77 "@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > On 4/03/2012 5:37 PM, sf wrote:> On Sat, 3 Mar 2012 18:00:10 -0800 (PST),merryb<msg...@juno.com>
    > > wrote:

    >
    > >> That sounds great! I just saw that Hugo was on PPV, and had suggested
    > >> to the husband that we watch it, but he's not thrilled about watching
    > >> a "kid's" movie.

    >
    > > I want to see Hugo! *We were going to take GS to see it a couple of
    > > weeks ago, but I was sick so hubby took him. *Now we have to Netflix
    > > it and who knows how long that will take since it has won some awards.

    >
    > Go watch "War Horse"
    >
    > * it will make you teary for sure
    >
    > --
    >
    > X-No-Archive: Yes


    OK! Saw "The Descendants" about 2 months ago, and "The Artist" about 2
    weeks ago. Both excellent movies...

  13. #13
    ImStillMags Guest

    Default Re: Rock Fish

    On Mar 4, 11:01*am, Cheryl <jlhsha...@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > On 3/4/2012 2:47 AM, sf wrote:
    >
    > > Rock cod is a generic term for many fish (you should know that), so
    > > your rock cod could be far different from hers.

    >
    > Here in MD rockfish is striped bass. *The MD state fish.http://www.msa.md.gov/msa/mdmanual/0...bols/fish.html


    Here, I found a picture of the type of cod...it's a red cod....very
    similar to what is called redfish. The flesh
    is very similar to what I ate in New Orleans that was termed red
    snapper.

    http://www.mexfish.com/sqnt/sqnt/sqntimg/gene.jpg

  14. #14
    Cheryl Guest

    Default Re: Rock Fish

    On 3/4/2012 2:34 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
    > On Mar 4, 11:01 am, Cheryl<jlhsha...@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >> On 3/4/2012 2:47 AM, sf wrote:
    >>
    >>> Rock cod is a generic term for many fish (you should know that), so
    >>> your rock cod could be far different from hers.

    >>
    >> Here in MD rockfish is striped bass. The MD state fish.http://www.msa.md.gov/msa/mdmanual/0...bols/fish.html

    >
    > Here, I found a picture of the type of cod...it's a red cod....very
    > similar to what is called redfish. The flesh
    > is very similar to what I ate in New Orleans that was termed red
    > snapper.
    >
    > http://www.mexfish.com/sqnt/sqnt/sqntimg/gene.jpg


    My, what big eyes he has!

  15. #15
    Ophelia Guest

    Default Re: Rock Fish


    "Cheryl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:4f53fd50$0$28636$[email protected] .com...
    > On 3/4/2012 2:34 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
    >> On Mar 4, 11:01 am, Cheryl<jlhsha...@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>> On 3/4/2012 2:47 AM, sf wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Rock cod is a generic term for many fish (you should know that), so
    >>>> your rock cod could be far different from hers.
    >>>
    >>> Here in MD rockfish is striped bass. The MD state
    >>> fish.http://www.msa.md.gov/msa/mdmanual/0...bols/fish.html

    >>
    >> Here, I found a picture of the type of cod...it's a red cod....very
    >> similar to what is called redfish. The flesh
    >> is very similar to what I ate in New Orleans that was termed red
    >> snapper.
    >>
    >> http://www.mexfish.com/sqnt/sqnt/sqntimg/gene.jpg

    >
    > My, what big eyes he has!


    lol years ago, in UK we had fish called Rock Salmon. It was actually
    shark) I only knowlingly ate shark when I lived in Malta and it was very
    good))


    --
    http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/


  16. #16
    spamtrap1888 Guest

    Default Re: Rock Fish

    On Mar 3, 11:47*pm, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:
    > On Sat, 3 Mar 2012 19:31:00 -0800 (PST), spamtrap1888
    >
    > <spamtrap1...@gmail.com> wrote:
    > > Having fished a lot and eaten what I caught, I consider tock cod to be
    > > a rather coarse fish, not worthy of such delicate preparations.
    > > IMNSHO, it's better in spicier preparations like Snapper* Veracruzano
    > > or even fish curry.

    >
    > Rock cod is a generic term for many fish (you should know that), so
    > your rock cod could be far different from hers. *My favorite is the
    > yellow one and it's flesh is far from "coarse". *I usually use white
    > wine and lemon when I cook fish, but veracruz would be fantastic for
    > that rock cod. *I want to eat at your house the next time you catch
    > one and prepare it that way. *


    I can't picture a yellow rock cod unless you mean one of the
    overfished ones:

    http://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.as...16&inline=true

    Those must be returned if you catch one.

  17. #17
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Rock Fish

    On Sun, 4 Mar 2012 16:12:37 -0800 (PST), spamtrap1888
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Mar 3, 11:47*pm, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:
    > > On Sat, 3 Mar 2012 19:31:00 -0800 (PST), spamtrap1888
    > >
    > >
    > > Rock cod is a generic term for many fish (you should know that), so
    > > your rock cod could be far different from hers. *My favorite is the
    > > yellow one and it's flesh is far from "coarse". *I usually use white
    > > wine and lemon when I cook fish, but veracruz would be fantastic for
    > > that rock cod. *I want to eat at your house the next time you catch
    > > one and prepare it that way. *

    >
    > I can't picture a yellow rock cod unless you mean one of the
    > overfished ones:
    >
    > http://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.as...16&inline=true
    >
    > Those must be returned if you catch one.


    That link was broken for me, so I couldn't see what the fish looks
    like. I think I found what it was called "yellow-eyed rockfish. It
    was a rosy yellow with a definite blush tinge around the edges. Very
    pretty to look at.

    --
    Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

  18. #18
    spamtrap1888 Guest

    Default Re: Rock Fish

    On Mar 4, 4:32*pm, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:
    > On Sun, 4 Mar 2012 16:12:37 -0800 (PST), spamtrap1888
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > <spamtrap1...@gmail.com> wrote:
    > > On Mar 3, 11:47*pm, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:
    > > > On Sat, 3 Mar 2012 19:31:00 -0800 (PST), spamtrap1888

    >
    > > > Rock cod is a generic term for many fish (you should know that), so
    > > > your rock cod could be far different from hers. *My favorite is the
    > > > yellow one and it's flesh is far from "coarse". *I usually use white
    > > > wine and lemon when I cook fish, but veracruz would be fantastic for
    > > > that rock cod. *I want to eat at your house the next time you catch
    > > > one and prepare it that way. *

    >
    > > I can't picture a yellow rock cod unless you mean one of the
    > > overfished ones:

    >
    > >http://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.as...16&inline=true

    >
    > > Those must be returned if you catch one.

    >
    > That link was broken for me, so I couldn't see what the fish looks
    > like. *I think I found what it was called "yellow-eyed rockfish. *It
    > was a rosy yellow with a definite blush tinge around the edges. *Very
    > pretty to look at.
    >


    Yelloweye rockfish may not be retained in California, due to
    overfishing. Call Cal Fish&Game; turn your purveyor in.

  19. #19
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Rock Fish

    On Sun, 4 Mar 2012 17:40:09 -0800 (PST), spamtrap1888
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Mar 4, 4:32*pm, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:
    > > On Sun, 4 Mar 2012 16:12:37 -0800 (PST), spamtrap1888
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > <spamtrap1...@gmail.com> wrote:
    > > > On Mar 3, 11:47*pm, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:
    > > > > On Sat, 3 Mar 2012 19:31:00 -0800 (PST), spamtrap1888

    > >
    > > > > Rock cod is a generic term for many fish (you should know that), so
    > > > > your rock cod could be far different from hers. *My favorite is the
    > > > > yellow one and it's flesh is far from "coarse". *I usually use white
    > > > > wine and lemon when I cook fish, but veracruz would be fantastic for
    > > > > that rock cod. *I want to eat at your house the next time you catch
    > > > > one and prepare it that way. *

    > >
    > > > I can't picture a yellow rock cod unless you mean one of the
    > > > overfished ones:

    > >
    > > >http://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.as...16&inline=true

    > >
    > > > Those must be returned if you catch one.

    > >
    > > That link was broken for me, so I couldn't see what the fish looks
    > > like. *I think I found what it was called "yellow-eyed rockfish. *It
    > > was a rosy yellow with a definite blush tinge around the edges. *Very
    > > pretty to look at.
    > >

    >
    > Yelloweye rockfish may not be retained in California, due to
    > overfishing. Call Cal Fish&Game; turn your purveyor in.


    That wasn't a purveyor and it was years ago anyway. No wonder it was
    over fished, it's delicious.

    --
    Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

  20. #20
    Leonard Blaisdell Guest

    Default Re: Rock Fish

    In article <[email protected]>,
    sf <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Rock cod is a generic term for many fish (you should know that), so
    > your rock cod could be far different from hers. My favorite is the
    > yellow one and it's flesh is far from "coarse". I usually use white
    > wine and lemon when I cook fish, but veracruz would be fantastic for
    > that rock cod. I want to eat at your house the next time you catch
    > one and prepare it that way.


    When I was a kid, my dad and I did quite a bit of fishing on charter
    boats out of Bodega Bay. We caught what were called red snapper, gray
    snapper, China Cod and Lingcod mostly. What they were were red rockfish,
    gray rockfish, China Cod [rockfish of a different color] and Lingcod
    which had a completely different body shape. Lingcod were rare.
    What I remember most about our trips were the women who filleted the
    fish after we hit the dock. They could fillet a big rockfish perfectly
    in less than twenty seconds. I'm a decent filleter but nothing like
    them. I never saw a man do that job. Oh... and don't slip and fall on a
    gunny sack full of rockfish. That's like sitting on a cholla cactus.
    I've done both.

    leo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32