Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Ricotta Salata

  1. #1
    sf Guest

    Default Ricotta Salata


    I bought some today. Does anyone have a favorite way to use it?
    TIA

    Looking at the internet, this recipe sounded good to me. I may try it
    if I can find watermelon with flavor this time of year.

    Cucumber, Asian Pear, and Watermelon Salad with Ricotta Salata

    2 cups (1-inch) cubed peeled seedless cucumber
    2 cups (1-inch) cubed seedless watermelon
    2 cups halved red grapes
    3/4 cup peeled, cubed Asian pear (about 1 pear)
    1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
    1 tablespoon honey
    1 1/2 teaspoons grated lime rind
    2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
    1/3 cup (3 ounces) crumbled ricotta salata cheese (or feta)

    1. Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Combine sour cream,
    honey, grated rind, juice, and pepper in a small bowl, stirring with a
    whisk. Pour sour cream mixture over fruit mixture; toss well to coat.
    Sprinkle with cheese.


    Yield: 8 servings
    (serving size: about 1 cup salad and 2 teaspoons cheese)

    CALORIES 118 (34% from fat); FAT 4.4g (sat 2.8g,mono 0.5g,poly 0.1g);
    IRON 0.4mg; CHOLESTEROL 17mg; CALCIUM 91mg; CARBOHYDRATE 18.5g; SODIUM
    130mg; PROTEIN 3.1g; FIBER 2.1g

    Cooking Light, AUGUST 2008



    --
    I love cooking with wine.
    Sometimes I even put it in the food.

  2. #2
    Kris Guest

    Default Re: Ricotta Salata

    On Jun 12, 1:20*am, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:
    > I bought some today. *Does anyone have a favorite way to use it?
    > TIA
    >
    > Looking at the internet, this recipe sounded good to me. *I may try it
    > if I can find watermelon with flavor this time of year.
    >
    > Cucumber, Asian Pear, and Watermelon Salad with Ricotta Salata
    >
    > 2 cups (1-inch) cubed peeled seedless cucumber
    > 2 cups (1-inch) cubed seedless watermelon
    > 2 cups halved red grapes
    > 3/4 cup peeled, cubed Asian pear (about 1 pear)
    > 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
    > 1 tablespoon honey
    > 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lime rind
    > 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    > 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
    > 1/3 cup (3 ounces) crumbled ricotta salata cheese (or feta)
    >
    > 1. Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl. *Combine sour cream,
    > honey, grated rind, juice, and pepper in a small bowl, stirring with a
    > whisk. *Pour sour cream mixture over fruit mixture; toss well to coat.
    > Sprinkle with cheese.
    >
    > Yield: *8 servings
    > (serving size: about 1 cup salad and 2 teaspoons cheese)
    >
    > CALORIES 118 (34% from fat); FAT 4.4g (sat 2.8g,mono 0.5g,poly 0.1g);
    > IRON 0.4mg; CHOLESTEROL 17mg; CALCIUM 91mg; CARBOHYDRATE 18.5g; SODIUM
    > 130mg; PROTEIN 3.1g; FIBER 2.1g
    >
    > Cooking Light, AUGUST 2008
    >
    > --
    > I love cooking with wine.
    > Sometimes I even put it in the food.


    I've seen it used for salads, or pasta. Here's a recipe I've
    earmarked to try, but haven't yet:

    Orecchiette with Greens, Garbanzo Beans and Ricotta Salata
    Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis
    Prep Time: 6 min Inactive Prep Time: hr min Cook Time: 20 min Level:
    Easy Serves:
    4 to 6 servings Ingredients
    1 pound orecchiette or other short pasta
    1/2 cup olive oil
    2 garlic cloves, crushed
    12 ounces Swiss chard or mustard greens, stemmed
    12 ounces baby spinach leaves
    1 (15-ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
    2 cups small cherry or grape tomatoes
    8 ounces ricotta salata cheese, crumbled
    2 teaspoons lemon zest
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    Directions
    Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the
    pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring
    occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and reserve about 1 cup of
    the pasta water.

    In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat the oil. Add the garlic
    and cook until fragrant and lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Using a
    slotted spoon, remove the garlic and discard. Add the Swiss chard and
    cook until wilted. In batches, add the spinach and cook until wilted.
    Add the beans and tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes. Turn off the heat.
    Add the pasta, 1/2 of the cheese, and lemon zest. Toss well and thin
    out the sauce with a little pasta water, if needed.

    Transfer to a large serving bowl and season with salt and pepper.
    Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and serve.

    Good luck with whatever you make,
    Kris


  3. #3
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Ricotta Salata

    On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 09:02:16 -0700 (PDT), Kris <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I've seen it used for salads, or pasta. Here's a recipe I've
    >earmarked to try, but haven't yet:
    >
    >Orecchiette with Greens, Garbanzo Beans and Ricotta Salata
    >Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis


    Thanks for the memory jog, Kris! I think I watched that show and it
    looked like something I'd try too.

    --
    I love cooking with wine.
    Sometimes I even put it in the food.

  4. #4
    Kris Guest

    Default Re: Ricotta Salata

    On Jun 12, 2:42*pm, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:
    > On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 09:02:16 -0700 (PDT), Kris <shanno...@hotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I've seen it used for salads, or pasta. *Here's a recipe I've
    > >earmarked to try, but haven't yet:

    >
    > >Orecchiette with Greens, Garbanzo Beans and Ricotta Salata
    > >Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis

    >
    > Thanks for the memory jog, Kris! *I think I watched that show and it
    > looked like something I'd try too.
    >
    > --
    > I love cooking with wine.
    > Sometimes I even put it in the food.


    My pleasure.

    It's rare that a Giada recipe DOESN'T tempt me.

    Kris

  5. #5
    Default User Guest

    Default Re: Ricotta Salata

    Kris wrote:

    > On Jun 12, 2:42*pm, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:
    > > On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 09:02:16 -0700 (PDT), Kris
    > > <shanno...@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > > I've seen it used for salads, or pasta. *Here's a recipe I've
    > > > earmarked to try, but haven't yet:

    > >
    > > > Orecchiette with Greens, Garbanzo Beans and Ricotta Salata
    > > > Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis

    > >
    > > Thanks for the memory jog, Kris! *I think I watched that show and it
    > > looked like something I'd try too.
    > >
    > > --
    > > I love cooking with wine.
    > > Sometimes I even put it in the food.

    >
    > My pleasure.
    >
    > It's rare that a Giada recipe DOESN'T tempt me.


    <http://www.tvgasm.com/archives/food_network/001570.php>




    Brian

    --
    Day 130 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32