Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: REQ: Duplicating GrillSmith Voodoo Shrimp Appetizer

  1. #1
    [email protected] Guest

    Default REQ: Duplicating GrillSmith Voodoo Shrimp Appetizer

    After having the Voodoo Shrimp Appetizer at GrillSmith recently I am looking
    to try making it at home...

    Where I am stumped is: "New Orleans style white barbecue sauce"

    I've never heard of any such thing (not that is the be all end on this...)
    and what I am getting is all related to Alabama which from the ingredients
    doesn't seem to be a match....

    Any one have any hints? ? ?

    Thanks!
    --
    news

  2. #2
    l, not -l Guest

    Default Re: REQ: Duplicating GrillSmith Voodoo Shrimp Appetizer


    On 22-Jun-2010, [email protected] wrote:

    > After having the Voodoo Shrimp Appetizer at GrillSmith recently I am
    > looking
    > to try making it at home...
    >
    > Where I am stumped is: "New Orleans style white barbecue sauce"
    >
    > I've never heard of any such thing (not that is the be all end on this...)
    > and what I am getting is all related to Alabama which from the ingredients
    > doesn't seem to be a match....
    >
    > Any one have any hints? ? ?
    >
    > Thanks!
    > --
    > news


    Look for recipes of Alabama white barbecue sauce; it is more an Alabama
    thing than NOLa. Or simply mix a cup of prepared horseradish sauce (the
    white stuff some folks use on roast beef, Woeber's being one popular brand),
    2 tsp. creole mustard (Zatarain's is very good), 2 tbl. vinegar (white wine
    is best), couple tsp. sugar (more if you use white vinegar, less if you use
    cider vinegar), minced garlic, salt and fresh ground pepper to taste. If
    the sauce is too thick for your taste or for the planned use, thin it with a
    bit of water to get the consistency you like.
    --
    Change Cujo to Juno in email address.

  3. #3
    sf Guest

    Default Re: REQ: Duplicating GrillSmith Voodoo Shrimp Appetizer

    On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 19:35:20 GMT, "l, not -l" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Look for recipes of Alabama white barbecue sauce; it is more an Alabama
    > thing than NOLa. Or simply mix a cup of prepared horseradish sauce (the
    > white stuff some folks use on roast beef, Woeber's being one popular brand),
    > 2 tsp. creole mustard (Zatarain's is very good), 2 tbl. vinegar (white wine
    > is best), couple tsp. sugar (more if you use white vinegar, less if you use
    > cider vinegar), minced garlic, salt and fresh ground pepper to taste. If
    > the sauce is too thick for your taste or for the planned use, thin it with a
    > bit of water to get the consistency you like.


    I've never heard of white barbecue sauce before. The first hit on
    google calls for mayonnaise.

    --
    Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

  4. #4
    l, not -l Guest

    Default Re: REQ: Duplicating GrillSmith Voodoo Shrimp Appetizer


    On 22-Jun-2010, sf <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 19:35:20 GMT, "l, not -l" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Look for recipes of Alabama white barbecue sauce; it is more an Alabama
    > > thing than NOLa. Or simply mix a cup of prepared horseradish sauce
    > > (the
    > > white stuff some folks use on roast beef, Woeber's being one popular
    > > brand),
    > > 2 tsp. creole mustard (Zatarain's is very good), 2 tbl. vinegar (white
    > > wine
    > > is best), couple tsp. sugar (more if you use white vinegar, less if you
    > > use
    > > cider vinegar), minced garlic, salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.
    > > If
    > > the sauce is too thick for your taste or for the planned use, thin it
    > > with a
    > > bit of water to get the consistency you like.

    >
    > I've never heard of white barbecue sauce before. The first hit on
    > google calls for mayonnaise.


    All will call for some form of mayo or Miracle Whip; the New Orleans
    variation is spicy hot, calling for horseradish and creole mustard. Since
    the Horseradish sauce I mentioned is simply mayo with horseradish added, it
    will do the job.
    --
    Change Cujo to Juno in email address.

  5. #5
    sf Guest

    Default Re: REQ: Duplicating GrillSmith Voodoo Shrimp Appetizer

    On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 21:10:46 GMT, "l, not -l" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > All will call for some form of mayo or Miracle Whip; the New Orleans
    > variation is spicy hot, calling for horseradish and creole mustard. Since
    > the Horseradish sauce I mentioned is simply mayo with horseradish added, it
    > will do the job.


    Oh, ok. I thought creamed horseradish was horseradish in sour cream
    and I just buy "prepared" horseradish which isn't adulterated like
    that.

    --
    Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

  6. #6
    l, not -l Guest

    Default Re: REQ: Duplicating GrillSmith Voodoo Shrimp Appetizer


    On 22-Jun-2010, sf <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 21:10:46 GMT, "l, not -l" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > All will call for some form of mayo or Miracle Whip; the New Orleans
    > > variation is spicy hot, calling for horseradish and creole mustard.
    > > Since
    > > the Horseradish sauce I mentioned is simply mayo with horseradish added,
    > > it
    > > will do the job.

    >
    > Oh, ok. I thought creamed horseradish was horseradish in sour cream
    > and I just buy "prepared" horseradish which isn't adulterated like
    > that.


    You're right, creamed horseradish is as you thought. But, there is
    "horseradish sauce" (not creamed) that is mayo based. Some might be
    familiar with mayo-based horseradish sauce from Arby's Horsey Sauce; but,
    others may have seen Heinz, Kraft or Woeber's on their grocer's shelf.
    --
    Change Cujo to Juno in email address.

  7. #7
    sf Guest

    Default Re: REQ: Duplicating GrillSmith Voodoo Shrimp Appetizer

    On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 22:16:15 GMT, "l, not -l" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > You're right, creamed horseradish is as you thought. But, there is
    > "horseradish sauce" (not creamed) that is mayo based. Some might be
    > familiar with mayo-based horseradish sauce from Arby's Horsey Sauce; but,
    > others may have seen Heinz, Kraft or Woeber's on their grocer's shelf.


    OK, thanks. I don't eat at Arby's and have never bought/thought about
    the other bottled items you mentioned. I just buy Morehouse "prepared
    horseradish" and keep it way too long because I'm the only person who
    uses it.
    http://d3hqdt8j93rgvn.cloudfront.net...1b2bcc0ac8.jpg

    --
    Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

  8. #8
    blake murphy Guest

    Default Re: REQ: Duplicating GrillSmith Voodoo Shrimp Appetizer

    On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 22:16:15 GMT, l, not -l wrote:

    > On 22-Jun-2010, sf <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 21:10:46 GMT, "l, not -l" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> All will call for some form of mayo or Miracle Whip; the New Orleans
    >>> variation is spicy hot, calling for horseradish and creole mustard.
    >>> Since
    >>> the Horseradish sauce I mentioned is simply mayo with horseradish added,
    >>> it
    >>> will do the job.

    >>
    >> Oh, ok. I thought creamed horseradish was horseradish in sour cream
    >> and I just buy "prepared" horseradish which isn't adulterated like
    >> that.

    >
    > You're right, creamed horseradish is as you thought. But, there is
    > "horseradish sauce" (not creamed) that is mayo based. Some might be
    > familiar with mayo-based horseradish sauce from Arby's Horsey Sauce; but,
    > others may have seen Heinz, Kraft or Woeber's on their grocer's shelf.


    inglehoffer also makes one that is pretty peppy:

    <http://www.amazon.com/Inglehoffer-Horseradish-Think-Creamy-3-75-Ounce/dp/B0019ZE1D2>

    your pal,
    blake

  9. #9
    sf Guest

    Default Re: REQ: Duplicating GrillSmith Voodoo Shrimp Appetizer

    On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 13:27:11 -0400, blake murphy
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > inglehoffer also makes one that is pretty peppy:
    >
    > <http://www.amazon.com/Inglehoffer-Horseradish-Think-Creamy-3-75-Ounce/dp/B0019ZE1D2>


    Why buy sauce when you can buy the real thing?

    --
    Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

  10. #10
    [email protected] Guest

    Default Re: REQ: Duplicating GrillSmith Voodoo Shrimp Appetizer

    l, not -l wrote:

    > Look for recipes of Alabama white barbecue sauce; it is more an Alabama
    > thing than NOLa.


    Solves one problem...

    > > Or simply mix a cup of prepared horseradish sauce (the


    Will give it a whirl....to see what happens... I've actually go some of the
    mentioned Inglehoffer horseradish in the fridge already....

    I may have to go back to have tasting session...they

    Seems like a good excuse to buy shrimp at the store now...

    Thanks.

    --
    news

  11. #11
    blake murphy Guest

    Default Re: REQ: Duplicating GrillSmith Voodoo Shrimp Appetizer

    On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 12:00:56 -0700, sf wrote:

    > On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 13:27:11 -0400, blake murphy
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> inglehoffer also makes one that is pretty peppy:
    >>
    >> <http://www.amazon.com/Inglehoffer-Horseradish-Think-Creamy-3-75-Ounce/dp/B0019ZE1D2>

    >
    > Why buy sauce when you can buy the real thing?


    well, grated horseradish, though more versatile, doesn't keep all that
    well.

    your pal,
    blake

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32