Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Thread: Reefer question

  1. #1
    Steve B Guest

    Default Reefer question

    We are looking at the double wide refrigerators with the bottom freezers.

    I am leaning towards the 28 cu. ft. size. Seen a couple of nice ones in the
    $2,000 to $2,200 range.

    Anyone have one of these, and if so, would appreciate caveats and things you
    do and don't like about them. Mainly, we need a larger refrigerator for
    just the refrigerated items. The freezer would get used, too, but we have a
    freezer only in the garage, and a combo freezer/fridge.



  2. #2
    Omelet Guest

    Default Re: Reefer question

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Steve B" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > We are looking at the double wide refrigerators with the bottom freezers.
    >
    > I am leaning towards the 28 cu. ft. size. Seen a couple of nice ones in the
    > $2,000 to $2,200 range.
    >
    > Anyone have one of these, and if so, would appreciate caveats and things you
    > do and don't like about them. Mainly, we need a larger refrigerator for
    > just the refrigerated items. The freezer would get used, too, but we have a
    > freezer only in the garage, and a combo freezer/fridge.


    Seriously Steve, look at ebay for those used blood bank refrigerators.
    I got my 40 cubic ft. Hobart from the lab I work at for nothing. There
    are several on ebay at the moment and some of them are quite
    reasonable...

    Craigs list might have one local to you. Many labs across the country
    now sell outdated equipment on the internet as they upgrade.
    --
    Peace! Om

    Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
    *Only Irish *coffee provides in a single glass all four *essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar *and fat. --Alex Levine

  3. #3
    Damaeus Guest

    Default Re: Reefer question

    In news:rec.food.cooking, "Steve B" <[email protected]> posted
    on Sun, 11 Apr 2010 23:41:21 -0700 the following:

    > We are looking at the double wide refrigerators with the bottom
    > freezers.
    >
    > I am leaning towards the 28 cu. ft. size. Seen a couple of nice ones
    > in the $2,000 to $2,200 range.
    >
    > Anyone have one of these, and if so, would appreciate caveats and things
    > you do and don't like about them. Mainly, we need a larger refrigerator
    > for just the refrigerated items. The freezer would get used, too, but
    > we have a freezer only in the garage, and a combo freezer/fridge.


    First, how old are you? My friend's parents (aged 77 and 79) have one of
    those fridges with the freezer on the bottom, and to me, it's painful to
    see either one of them have to get down on their hands and knees just to
    get a glass of ice. Recently, the wife side of that couple fell down and
    hurt herself pretty badly, and my friend thinks she's going to need a
    walker for the rest of her life. She had trouble getting up and down
    before she got that fridge, and I never have been able to figure out why
    on Earth she wanted one like that in the first place. I would hate it.

    I haven't lain on a creeper yet to see how the ice machine is set up, but
    when I saw my friend's brother on his hands and knees digging for ice
    (since he can get down on the floor more easily than his parents), it
    appeared that the ice maker was attached to the top of the inside, and
    container for the ice was on a shelf.

    All that said, if you already have a fridge/freezer combo, then maybe it
    won't be any big deal to have a freezer on the bottom on your new one.
    We've got a small chest deep freezer on the back patio, a big chest deep
    freezer and a freezer/fridge (freezer on top) in the utility room, and a
    freezer/fridge (side-by-side) in the kitchen. Even with all that, I don't
    think I'd want a bottom-style freezer. I'd get rid of two fridges if we
    could get a matching set of those stainless steel units that is just a
    fridge on one, and just a self-defrosting freezer on the other. Then we'd
    still have the two chest freezers.

    Damaeus
    --
    "Marihuana influences Negroes to look at white people in the eye, step on
    white men's shadows and look at a white woman twice."
    -William Randolph Hearst

  4. #4
    Goomba Guest

    Default Re: Reefer question

    Damaeus wrote:

    > First, how old are you? My friend's parents (aged 77 and 79) have one of
    > those fridges with the freezer on the bottom, and to me, it's painful to
    > see either one of them have to get down on their hands and knees just to
    > get a glass of ice.


    huh? I don't have to do anything more strenuous than bend at the waist
    to get to my ice. The ice maker is at the top of the bottom freezer
    space. And it is still higher up than a fruit/veggie bin at the bottom
    of a top-freezer unit.

  5. #5
    gloria.p Guest

    Default Re: Reefer question

    Steve B wrote:
    > We are looking at the double wide refrigerators with the bottom freezers.
    >
    > I am leaning towards the 28 cu. ft. size. Seen a couple of nice ones in the
    > $2,000 to $2,200 range.
    >
    > Anyone have one of these, and if so, would appreciate caveats and things you
    > do and don't like about them. Mainly, we need a larger refrigerator for
    > just the refrigerated items. The freezer would get used, too, but we have a
    > freezer only in the garage, and a combo freezer/fridge.
    >
    >



    I have had one since November. The refrigerator seems much
    less spacious than my old 20cu ft. top freezer model, probably
    because the freezer is larger and much of the fridge storage
    is in the door bins. I really love having the freezer on the
    bottom, however.

    gloria p

  6. #6
    Melba's Jammin' Guest

    Default Re: Reefer question - longish

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Steve B" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > We are looking at the double wide refrigerators with the bottom freezers.
    >
    > I am leaning towards the 28 cu. ft. size. Seen a couple of nice ones in the
    > $2,000 to $2,200 range.
    >
    > Anyone have one of these, and if so, would appreciate caveats and things you
    > do and don't like about them. Mainly, we need a larger refrigerator for
    > just the refrigerated items. The freezer would get used, too, but we have a
    > freezer only in the garage, and a combo freezer/fridge.



    I have an Amana, 22cf. I will love it until the day they put me in it
    for storage.

    When my old Kenmore did its death dance some years ago, I sashayed over
    to Warners-Stellian to select its replacement -- all I wanted was
    essentially what I'd had. I got the same total cf, BUT, in the time
    between the dying one and the new one, the industry standard changed on
    the ratio of chiller space to freezer space. I wasn't paying attention.
    When I chose the new one, a Whirlpool, two door, freezer on top, I had
    the most fleeting thought through my head that the bottom of the freezer
    section door was lower that on the dying one. FLEETING thought I paid
    no attention to. When I got the sucker home and started transferring
    contents from one to 'tother, I had a hard time getting everything into
    the fridge. W T F ??? Total cf was the same. . . . The new model,
    while having the same total cf had more freezer space and less chiller
    space that its predecessor. In the years between the old and the new,
    the amount of freezer space in supermarkets increased DRAMATICALLY
    people had a lot more stuff in their freezers besides vegetables and ice
    cream.

    I bitched about that unit for three years. My friend The Late Widow
    Geraldine had bought a bottom-freezer unit and I loved it. I wanted it.
    I got one. Gave the old one (all of 3 miserable years old) to a church
    organization.

    My freezer compartment is a pullout drawer with a sliding basket in part
    of it. It is VERY easy to access. I do not have an icemaker; I make
    ice cubes.

    NO WAY would I go back to a top freezer unit and am reminded of it every
    time I reach for something in the vegetable drawers, the lowest part of
    that fridge storage at low hip height. Accessing ANYthing in the
    freezer is very easy because I can pull the drawer way out, and it's a
    bend-at-the-waist to get at anything. If that were the chiller space in
    a conventional arrangement, I'd be on my knees trying to find something
    at the back of a shelf, it would be that low. I shudder at the very
    idea. Getting down isn't the problem; getting up is. :-/

    I'll never go back to a freezer-fridge combo with the freezer unit on
    top, and I've never been impressed by the side-by-side freezer/fridge
    configuration.

    HTH.


    --
    Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
    http://web.me.com/barbschaller
    Updated 4-11-2010

  7. #7
    Melba's Jammin' Guest

    Default Re: Reefer question

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Damaeus <[email protected]> wrote:
    > First, how old are you? My friend's parents (aged 77 and 79) have one of
    > those fridges with the freezer on the bottom, and to me, it's painful to
    > see either one of them have to get down on their hands and knees just to
    > get a glass of ice.
    > Damaeus


    ???? I'm having a hard time picturing this. My ice cubes (bottom
    freezer) are at knee level and I barely have to bend at the waist to get
    to them.

    --
    Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
    http://web.me.com/barbschaller
    Updated 4-11-2010

  8. #8
    Pete C. Guest

    Default Re: Reefer question - longish


    Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    >
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Steve B" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > We are looking at the double wide refrigerators with the bottom freezers.
    > >
    > > I am leaning towards the 28 cu. ft. size. Seen a couple of nice ones in the
    > > $2,000 to $2,200 range.
    > >
    > > Anyone have one of these, and if so, would appreciate caveats and things you
    > > do and don't like about them. Mainly, we need a larger refrigerator for
    > > just the refrigerated items. The freezer would get used, too, but we have a
    > > freezer only in the garage, and a combo freezer/fridge.

    >
    > I have an Amana, 22cf. I will love it until the day they put me in it
    > for storage.
    >
    > When my old Kenmore did its death dance some years ago, I sashayed over
    > to Warners-Stellian to select its replacement -- all I wanted was
    > essentially what I'd had. I got the same total cf, BUT, in the time
    > between the dying one and the new one, the industry standard changed on
    > the ratio of chiller space to freezer space. I wasn't paying attention.
    > When I chose the new one, a Whirlpool, two door, freezer on top, I had
    > the most fleeting thought through my head that the bottom of the freezer
    > section door was lower that on the dying one. FLEETING thought I paid
    > no attention to. When I got the sucker home and started transferring
    > contents from one to 'tother, I had a hard time getting everything into
    > the fridge. W T F ??? Total cf was the same. . . . The new model,
    > while having the same total cf had more freezer space and less chiller
    > space that its predecessor. In the years between the old and the new,
    > the amount of freezer space in supermarkets increased DRAMATICALLY
    > people had a lot more stuff in their freezers besides vegetables and ice
    > cream.
    >
    > I bitched about that unit for three years. My friend The Late Widow
    > Geraldine had bought a bottom-freezer unit and I loved it. I wanted it.
    > I got one. Gave the old one (all of 3 miserable years old) to a church
    > organization.
    >
    > My freezer compartment is a pullout drawer with a sliding basket in part
    > of it. It is VERY easy to access. I do not have an icemaker; I make
    > ice cubes.
    >
    > NO WAY would I go back to a top freezer unit and am reminded of it every
    > time I reach for something in the vegetable drawers, the lowest part of
    > that fridge storage at low hip height. Accessing ANYthing in the
    > freezer is very easy because I can pull the drawer way out, and it's a
    > bend-at-the-waist to get at anything. If that were the chiller space in
    > a conventional arrangement, I'd be on my knees trying to find something
    > at the back of a shelf, it would be that low. I shudder at the very
    > idea. Getting down isn't the problem; getting up is. :-/
    >
    > I'll never go back to a freezer-fridge combo with the freezer unit on
    > top, and I've never been impressed by the side-by-side freezer/fridge
    > configuration.


    I generally prefer a side-by-side configuration if it's the only cold
    storage around. With the side-by-side, you can organize both the
    refrigerator and freezer sides in a top-down, most frequently used setup
    so everything you use frequently is at no-bend height. I also like and
    frequently use the in-door ice and water dispenser.

    The bottom drawer freezer models are decent enough, though they
    typically result in more stacking of items and more time spent shuffling
    through those stacks looking for what you want. I also prefer the single
    door models over the double door models as it seems that the double door
    models just make the door storage less useable and the half door you
    open is rarely the one you need to reach what you wanted on the regular
    shelves so you have to open the other as well.

    The mini pass-through doors that are available on some refrigerators are
    of limited value and probably not worth bothering with.

    If you have auxiliary cold storage in the garage or similar your
    organization can be different and thus the needs for the kitchen cold
    storage may vary.

    In all cases, the horrid top freezer models that require bending over
    nearly every time you access the refrigerator should be banned as
    ergonomic disasters.

  9. #9
    gloria.p Guest

    Default Re: Reefer question

    Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > Damaeus <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> First, how old are you? My friend's parents (aged 77 and 79) have one of
    >> those fridges with the freezer on the bottom, and to me, it's painful to
    >> see either one of them have to get down on their hands and knees just to
    >> get a glass of ice.
    >> Damaeus

    >
    > ???? I'm having a hard time picturing this. My ice cubes (bottom
    > freezer) are at knee level and I barely have to bend at the waist to get
    > to them.
    >



    I agree with Ms. Jammin'

    I am quite short and the slide-out drawer containing the icemaker
    bin in the lower freezer is just about knee level. No kneeling
    required.

    gloria p

  10. #10
    Janet Baraclough Guest

    Default Re: Reefer question

    The message <hq054c$d47$[email protected]>
    from "gloria.p" <[email protected]> contains these words:

    > Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    > > In article <[email protected]>,
    > > Damaeus <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >> First, how old are you? My friend's parents (aged 77 and 79) have one of
    > >> those fridges with the freezer on the bottom, and to me, it's painful to
    > >> see either one of them have to get down on their hands and knees just to
    > >> get a glass of ice.
    > >> Damaeus

    > >
    > > ???? I'm having a hard time picturing this. My ice cubes (bottom
    > > freezer) are at knee level and I barely have to bend at the waist to get
    > > to them.
    > >



    > I agree with Ms. Jammin'


    > I am quite short and the slide-out drawer containing the icemaker
    > bin in the lower freezer is just about knee level. No kneeling
    > required.


    On mine the fridge and freezer are the same size, fridge on top
    freezer below. The ice drawer is at the top of the freezer section; I
    don't even have to stoop.
    For anyone with a bad back. having the fridge above the freezer is
    wonderful; you can see and reach everything in it
    without bending at all.

    Janet

  11. #11
    Terry Pulliam Burd Guest

    Default Re: Reefer question - longish

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Steve B" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > We are looking at the double wide refrigerators with the bottom freezers.
    >
    > I am leaning towards the 28 cu. ft. size. Seen a couple of nice ones in the
    > $2,000 to $2,200 range.
    >
    > Anyone have one of these, and if so, would appreciate caveats and things you
    > do and don't like about them. Mainly, we need a larger refrigerator for
    > just the refrigerated items. The freezer would get used, too, but we have a
    > freezer only in the garage, and a combo freezer/fridge.


    I posted about our refrigerator research a couple of months ago. We
    wound up buying a Samsung French door 26 cu. foot refrigerator. It's
    been in exactly a month and we really, really like it. We decided
    against anything with an in-door ice and/or water dispenser b/c it
    takes up too much room on the inside door. The bottom freezer has a
    sliding tray for smaller items and a "pizza" door for those honkin'
    big frozen pizzas. The way the freezer is configured, you'd have to
    work at it to "lose" anything in there. The refrigerator has a
    refrigerator-width pullout drawer that I've been using for platters
    and jelly roll pan-sized items. It has LED lighting, which looks cool
    :-) We give it four thumbs up between us.

    Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

    --

    "If the soup had been as warm as the wine,
    if the wine had been as old as the turkey,
    and if the turkey had had a breast like the maid,
    it would have been a swell dinner." Duncan Hines


    To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"

  12. #12
    Terry Pulliam Burd Guest

    Default Re: Reefer question

    On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 15:59:35 -0600, "gloria.p" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    >> In article <[email protected]>,
    >> Damaeus <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>> First, how old are you? My friend's parents (aged 77 and 79) have one of
    >>> those fridges with the freezer on the bottom, and to me, it's painful to
    >>> see either one of them have to get down on their hands and knees just to
    >>> get a glass of ice.
    >>> Damaeus

    >>
    >> ???? I'm having a hard time picturing this. My ice cubes (bottom
    >> freezer) are at knee level and I barely have to bend at the waist to get
    >> to them.
    >>

    >
    >
    >I agree with Ms. Jammin'
    >
    >I am quite short and the slide-out drawer containing the icemaker
    >bin in the lower freezer is just about knee level. No kneeling
    >required.
    >

    And I agree with you both. My bottom freezer ice bin is knee high,
    too, and I'm 5'8". The only reason I'd have to get down on my hands
    and knees to get the ice is if I'd been putting that ice in way too
    many scotch and waters...

    Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

    --

    "If the soup had been as warm as the wine,
    if the wine had been as old as the turkey,
    and if the turkey had had a breast like the maid,
    it would have been a swell dinner." Duncan Hines


    To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"

  13. #13
    brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: Reefer question - longish

    On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 15:58:49 -0500, "Pete C." <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >
    >Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    >>
    >> In article <[email protected]>,
    >> "Steve B" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> > We are looking at the double wide refrigerators with the bottom freezers.
    >> >
    >> > I am leaning towards the 28 cu. ft. size. Seen a couple of nice ones in the
    >> > $2,000 to $2,200 range.
    >> >
    >> > Anyone have one of these, and if so, would appreciate caveats and things you
    >> > do and don't like about them. Mainly, we need a larger refrigerator for
    >> > just the refrigerated items. The freezer would get used, too, but we have a
    >> > freezer only in the garage, and a combo freezer/fridge.

    >>
    >> I have an Amana, 22cf. I will love it until the day they put me in it
    >> for storage.
    >>
    >> When my old Kenmore did its death dance some years ago, I sashayed over
    >> to Warners-Stellian to select its replacement -- all I wanted was
    >> essentially what I'd had. I got the same total cf, BUT, in the time
    >> between the dying one and the new one, the industry standard changed on
    >> the ratio of chiller space to freezer space. I wasn't paying attention.
    >> When I chose the new one, a Whirlpool, two door, freezer on top, I had
    >> the most fleeting thought through my head that the bottom of the freezer
    >> section door was lower that on the dying one. FLEETING thought I paid
    >> no attention to. When I got the sucker home and started transferring
    >> contents from one to 'tother, I had a hard time getting everything into
    >> the fridge. W T F ??? Total cf was the same. . . . The new model,
    >> while having the same total cf had more freezer space and less chiller
    >> space that its predecessor. In the years between the old and the new,
    >> the amount of freezer space in supermarkets increased DRAMATICALLY
    >> people had a lot more stuff in their freezers besides vegetables and ice
    >> cream.
    >>
    >> I bitched about that unit for three years. My friend The Late Widow
    >> Geraldine had bought a bottom-freezer unit and I loved it. I wanted it.
    >> I got one. Gave the old one (all of 3 miserable years old) to a church
    >> organization.
    >>
    >> My freezer compartment is a pullout drawer with a sliding basket in part
    >> of it. It is VERY easy to access. I do not have an icemaker; I make
    >> ice cubes.
    >>
    >> NO WAY would I go back to a top freezer unit and am reminded of it every
    >> time I reach for something in the vegetable drawers, the lowest part of
    >> that fridge storage at low hip height. Accessing ANYthing in the
    >> freezer is very easy because I can pull the drawer way out, and it's a
    >> bend-at-the-waist to get at anything. If that were the chiller space in
    >> a conventional arrangement, I'd be on my knees trying to find something
    >> at the back of a shelf, it would be that low. I shudder at the very
    >> idea. Getting down isn't the problem; getting up is. :-/
    >>
    >> I'll never go back to a freezer-fridge combo with the freezer unit on
    >> top, and I've never been impressed by the side-by-side freezer/fridge
    >> configuration.

    >
    >I generally prefer a side-by-side configuration if it's the only cold
    >storage around. With the side-by-side, you can organize both the
    >refrigerator and freezer sides in a top-down, most frequently used setup
    >so everything you use frequently is at no-bend height. I also like and
    >frequently use the in-door ice and water dispenser.
    >
    >The bottom drawer freezer models are decent enough, though they
    >typically result in more stacking of items and more time spent shuffling
    >through those stacks looking for what you want. I also prefer the single
    >door models over the double door models as it seems that the double door
    >models just make the door storage less useable and the half door you
    >open is rarely the one you need to reach what you wanted on the regular
    >shelves so you have to open the other as well.
    >
    >The mini pass-through doors that are available on some refrigerators are
    >of limited value and probably not worth bothering with.
    >
    >If you have auxiliary cold storage in the garage or similar your
    >organization can be different and thus the needs for the kitchen cold
    >storage may vary.
    >
    >In all cases, the horrid top freezer models that require bending over
    >nearly every time you access the refrigerator should be banned as
    >ergonomic disasters.


    In my kitchen I have a 22 cf GE Profile top freezer. In my basement
    I have a 17 cf no frills whirlpool top freezer. I don't find myself
    reaching into the bottom veggie bins all that often, often just once a
    day to grab a few deer carrots. I prefer having the two units rather
    than one huge fridge... I don't like having all my eggs in one basket
    so to speak... in case one goes on the fritz I still have the other...
    plus the two smaller units consume less energy that those monster 40
    cf units.... for a few months during cold weather I even unplug the
    basement fridge. Oh, and the fridge in the basement is up on cement
    blocks just in case of a flooded basement (has happened once), so no
    bending to access the veggie bins. I much rather have the two
    smaller units than one huge unit. My mother who was barely 5' loved
    her bottom freezer, the rest of us were 6', we hated it. Bottom
    veggie bins are no problem at all, if I'm going to build a salad or a
    soup where I'll be needing everything I simply pull out the entire
    bins and put them on the counter. I find it much easier to find stuff
    in my top freezer than to be dumpster diving a bottom freezer... I'm
    into my freezer far more than I'm into the veggie bins. I absolutely
    detest side by sides, they are much too narrow... I'd not use one were
    it free.

  14. #14
    Steve B Guest

    Default Re: Reefer question


    "Goomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > Damaeus wrote:
    >
    >> First, how old are you? My friend's parents (aged 77 and 79) have one of
    >> those fridges with the freezer on the bottom, and to me, it's painful to
    >> see either one of them have to get down on their hands and knees just to
    >> get a glass of ice.

    >
    > huh? I don't have to do anything more strenuous than bend at the waist to
    > get to my ice. The ice maker is at the top of the bottom freezer space.
    > And it is still higher up than a fruit/veggie bin at the bottom of a
    > top-freezer unit.


    Might not be a consideration for everyone, Goomba. I broke my back nearly
    two years ago. Crushed one vertebra so I'm officially .5 inches shorter.
    Locations may be a big consideration, and I had never thought of that
    before.

    Steve



  15. #15
    Steve B Guest

    Default Re: Reefer question


    "Terry Pulliam Burd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news[email protected]..
    > On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 15:59:35 -0600, "gloria.p" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    >>> In article <[email protected]>,
    >>> Damaeus <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>>> First, how old are you? My friend's parents (aged 77 and 79) have one
    >>>> of
    >>>> those fridges with the freezer on the bottom, and to me, it's painful
    >>>> to
    >>>> see either one of them have to get down on their hands and knees just
    >>>> to
    >>>> get a glass of ice.
    >>>> Damaeus
    >>>
    >>> ???? I'm having a hard time picturing this. My ice cubes (bottom
    >>> freezer) are at knee level and I barely have to bend at the waist to get
    >>> to them.
    >>>

    >>
    >>
    >>I agree with Ms. Jammin'
    >>
    >>I am quite short and the slide-out drawer containing the icemaker
    >>bin in the lower freezer is just about knee level. No kneeling
    >>required.
    >>

    > And I agree with you both. My bottom freezer ice bin is knee high,
    > too, and I'm 5'8". The only reason I'd have to get down on my hands
    > and knees to get the ice is if I'd been putting that ice in way too
    > many scotch and waters...
    >
    > Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd


    Try a single malt. ;-)



  16. #16
    Damaeus Guest

    Default Re: Reefer question

    In news:rec.food.cooking, Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]>
    posted on Mon, 12 Apr 2010 14:28:40 -0500 the following:

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > Damaeus <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > First, how old are you? My friend's parents (aged 77 and 79) have one of
    > > those fridges with the freezer on the bottom, and to me, it's painful to
    > > see either one of them have to get down on their hands and knees just to
    > > get a glass of ice.
    > > Damaeus

    >
    > ???? I'm having a hard time picturing this. My ice cubes (bottom
    > freezer) are at knee level and I barely have to bend at the waist to get
    > to them.


    Just make sure nobody's around sweeping the floor when you're getting ice
    out of the freezer. It's bound to collect more dust being that low.

    Damaeus
    --
    "Marihuana influences Negroes to look at white people in the eye, step on
    white men's shadows and look at a white woman twice."
    -William Randolph Hearst

  17. #17
    brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: Reefer question

    On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 15:59:35 -0600, "gloria.p" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    >> In article <[email protected]>,
    >> Damaeus <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>> First, how old are you? My friend's parents (aged 77 and 79) have one of
    >>> those fridges with the freezer on the bottom, and to me, it's painful to
    >>> see either one of them have to get down on their hands and knees just to
    >>> get a glass of ice.
    >>> Damaeus

    >>
    >> ???? I'm having a hard time picturing this. My ice cubes (bottom
    >> freezer) are at knee level and I barely have to bend at the waist to get
    >> to them.
    >>

    >
    >
    >I agree with Ms. Jammin'
    >
    >I am quite short and the slide-out drawer containing the icemaker
    >bin in the lower freezer is just about knee level. No kneeling
    >required.


    That's only because of your short stature and only for the items at
    the very top of the bottom freezer... but you still need to stoop for
    retrieving items from the bottom of the freezer, and need to
    constantly remove and replace items, or as most do let the items at
    the bottom become forgotten. I lived with a bottom freezer for years,
    they are an awful storage design, like storing all your food in a
    dumpster... they quickly become as slovenly as a kid's toy chest.
    There is good reason why less than 5% opt for bottom freezers and why
    most manufacturers no longer offer bottom freezers... and most
    appliance stores don't even keep any in stock, they need to be special
    ordered.

  18. #18
    Goomba Guest

    Default Re: Reefer question

    brooklyn1 wrote:

    > That's only because of your short stature and only for the items at
    > the very top of the bottom freezer... but you still need to stoop for
    > retrieving items from the bottom of the freezer, and need to
    > constantly remove and replace items, or as most do let the items at
    > the bottom become forgotten. I lived with a bottom freezer for years,
    > they are an awful storage design, like storing all your food in a
    > dumpster... they quickly become as slovenly as a kid's toy chest.
    > There is good reason why less than 5% opt for bottom freezers and why
    > most manufacturers no longer offer bottom freezers... and most
    > appliance stores don't even keep any in stock, they need to be special
    > ordered.


    Sheldon, I'm tall. I have yet to have any problem finding something in
    my bottom freezer.

    All the shelves pulled out. All the little jars are my spices, which I
    keep in the top two shelves
    http://i43.tinypic.com/2hq42na.jpg

    The middle compartment, still above knee level-
    http://i43.tinypic.com/dyu0i1.jpg

    The very bottom compartment- easily viewed items for selection and only
    requires a mild bend at the waist to grab.
    http://i42.tinypic.com/fucs4h.jpg

  19. #19
    Melba's Jammin' Guest

    Default Re: Reefer question

    In article <[email protected]>,
    brooklyn1 <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 15:59:35 -0600, "gloria.p" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    > >> In article <[email protected]>,
    > >> Damaeus <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >>> First, how old are you? My friend's parents (aged 77 and 79) have one of
    > >>> those fridges with the freezer on the bottom, and to me, it's painful to
    > >>> see either one of them have to get down on their hands and knees just to
    > >>> get a glass of ice.
    > >>> Damaeus
    > >>
    > >> ???? I'm having a hard time picturing this. My ice cubes (bottom
    > >> freezer) are at knee level and I barely have to bend at the waist to get
    > >> to them.
    > >>

    > >
    > >
    > >I agree with Ms. Jammin'
    > >
    > >I am quite short and the slide-out drawer containing the icemaker
    > >bin in the lower freezer is just about knee level. No kneeling
    > >required.

    >
    > That's only because of your short stature and only for the items at
    > the very top of the bottom freezer... but you still need to stoop for
    > retrieving items from the bottom of the freezer, and need to
    > constantly remove and replace items, or as most do let the items at
    > the bottom become forgotten. I lived with a bottom freezer for years,
    > they are an awful storage design, like storing all your food in a
    > dumpster... they quickly become as slovenly as a kid's toy chest.
    > There is good reason why less than 5% opt for bottom freezers and why
    > most manufacturers no longer offer bottom freezers... and most
    > appliance stores don't even keep any in stock, they need to be special
    > ordered.


    Fail! Sheldon, you are so full of crap on this!! LOL!! How brown
    are your eyes? <g> I just got off the phone with a sales guy for the
    biggest appliance store (specialists, not a big box store) in the area
    (7 stores in MN) and he said that bottom freezers are the fastest
    growing segment of refrigeration, that all the big mfgrs make them
    (Whirlpool has 7 brands they make), that Subzero, Viking, Bosch, and
    Miele offer them, and Frigidaire is about to come out with them, late to
    the party. He's got more bottom freezer units on his show floor than
    top freezers. And he said WAY more than 5% of their fridge sales are
    bottom freezer models. You goof!

    --
    Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
    http://web.me.com/barbschaller
    Updated 4-11-2010

  20. #20
    Melba's Jammin' Guest

    Default Re: Reefer question

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Damaeus <[email protected]> wrote:

    > In news:rec.food.cooking, Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]>
    > posted on Mon, 12 Apr 2010 14:28:40 -0500 the following:
    >
    > > In article <[email protected]>,
    > > Damaeus <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > > First, how old are you? My friend's parents (aged 77 and 79) have one of
    > > > those fridges with the freezer on the bottom, and to me, it's painful to
    > > > see either one of them have to get down on their hands and knees just to
    > > > get a glass of ice.
    > > > Damaeus

    > >
    > > ???? I'm having a hard time picturing this. My ice cubes (bottom
    > > freezer) are at knee level and I barely have to bend at the waist to get
    > > to them.

    >
    > Just make sure nobody's around sweeping the floor when you're getting ice
    > out of the freezer. It's bound to collect more dust being that low.
    >
    > Damaeus


    No problem with that. I do the sweeping and not when I'm getting ice
    from the freezer. "-0) I can do more than one thing at a time, but not
    those two things. :-)

    --
    Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
    http://web.me.com/barbschaller
    Updated 4-11-2010

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32