Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: REC: Spicy Split Pea Soup

  1. #1
    Damsel in dis Dress Guest

    Default REC: Spicy Split Pea Soup

    For those experiencing winter:

    * Exported from MasterCook *

    Spicy Split Pea Soup

    Recipe By :Carol Peterson
    Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Beans/Legumes Soups

    Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 tablespoons olive oil -- or more if needed
    1/2 pound pepperoni -- 1/2" cubes
    5 medium carrots -- sliced 1/4" thick
    1 medium onion -- chopped fine
    1 clove garlic -- smashed and chopped
    16 ounces split peas
    5 cups water
    1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
    1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
    1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
    1 bay leaf

    Heat olive oil at medium temperature in a small fying pan. Add
    pepperoni to the olive oil, frying until browned; remove to large
    saucepan. Add onions and garlic to the remaining oil. satué until
    onions become translucent, then add to the saucepan.

    Place dry split peas into the saucepan, along with the water. Add
    carrots, then stir in the herbs and spices.

    Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to low. Cook, covered, for 45
    minutes, or until peas just begin to break down. Add more water, if
    necessary. Remove bay leaf.


    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    NOTES : Many thanks to Sandy Dykes for inspiring the spice selection
    for this recipe.

    --
    Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.

  2. #2
    Lin Guest

    Default Re: REC: Spicy Split Pea Soup

    Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

    > Spicy Split Pea Soup


    This is our pea soup recipe! Bob had me make it (with well deserved
    attributes to you!!!!) and I won't make it any differently. Your use of
    pepperoni truly makes the soup.

    Dams, you rock ...

    --Lin

  3. #3
    Damsel in dis Dress Guest

    Default Re: REC: Spicy Split Pea Soup

    On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 21:54:54 -0800, Lin <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
    >
    >> Spicy Split Pea Soup

    >
    >This is our pea soup recipe! Bob had me make it (with well deserved
    >attributes to you!!!!) and I won't make it any differently. Your use of
    >pepperoni truly makes the soup.


    The pepperoni was Crash's inspiration.

    >Dams, you rock ...


    Thankee! There was a long thread about split pea soup several years
    ago. All about how I hated the stuff, but WANTED to like it. The
    spices and chunkiness are what turned me around. I'm so glad you
    enjoy it, too!

    Carol

    --
    Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.

  4. #4
    Lou Decruss Guest

    Default Re: REC: Spicy Split Pea Soup

    On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 21:28:53 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >For those experiencing winter:
    >
    > * Exported from MasterCook *
    >
    > Spicy Split Pea Soup


    Thanks for posting this. I saved it and I'll try it when I use a gift
    certificate from a butcher that carries Boars Head pepperoni. I've
    been making a list of things I want to get from that place when I use
    up some of what's in the freezer. I just put 50 pounds of meat in
    there so it will be awhile. I'll probably use more spices but I do
    like the idea.

    Thanks again for posting.

    Lou

  5. #5
    Damsel in dis Dress Guest

    Default Re: REC: Spicy Split Pea Soup

    On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 09:27:32 -0600, Lou Decruss
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 21:28:53 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>For those experiencing winter:
    >>
    >> * Exported from MasterCook *
    >>
    >> Spicy Split Pea Soup

    >
    >Thanks for posting this. I saved it and I'll try it when I use a gift
    >certificate from a butcher that carries Boars Head pepperoni. I've
    >been making a list of things I want to get from that place when I use
    >up some of what's in the freezer. I just put 50 pounds of meat in
    >there so it will be awhile. I'll probably use more spices but I do
    >like the idea.
    >
    >Thanks again for posting.


    You're very welcome. I hope you love it as much as we do!

    Carol

    --
    Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.

  6. #6
    Lin Guest

    Default Re: REC: Spicy Split Pea Soup

    Lou Decruss wrote:

    > Thanks for posting this. I saved it and I'll try it when I use a gift
    > certificate from a butcher that carries Boars Head pepperoni.


    FYI: I've made this recipe with Hormel's Turkey Pepperoni before and it
    was outstanding. I was rather surprised that it tasted as good as the
    "real" stuff, and next to no fat added.

    I wouldn't turn down a bowl of it with the Boars Head though. ;-)

    --Lin

  7. #7
    Lou Decruss Guest

    Default Re: REC: Spicy Split Pea Soup

    On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 09:33:32 -0800, Lin <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Lou Decruss wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks for posting this. I saved it and I'll try it when I use a gift
    >> certificate from a butcher that carries Boars Head pepperoni.

    >
    >FYI: I've made this recipe with Hormel's Turkey Pepperoni before and it
    >was outstanding. I was rather surprised that it tasted as good as the
    >"real" stuff, and next to no fat added.


    I'm not a fan of anything turkey but thanks for the tip.

    >I wouldn't turn down a bowl of it with the Boars Head though. ;-)


    Boars Head pepperoni in the only one of their products I find worth
    the extra money. I love the stuff. When I used cheaper stuff on
    pizza I nuked it to get some of the fat out. With BH I don't need to
    do that. It's about double the price of the other stuff but worth the
    money. IMO

    Lou

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32