Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: REC: Speaking of oatmeal - bread

  1. #1
    KenK Guest

    Default REC: Speaking of oatmeal - bread

    From _The Bread Machine Cookbook_ Vol. 1 by Donna German

    Water 1 1/3 C
    Margarine/butter 5 tbs (I use olive oil)
    Sugar 2 2/3 tbs
    Salt 2 tsp
    Oats 1 1/3 C (I use oatmeal)
    Bread flour 2 2/3 C
    Buttermilk powder 6 tbs (The brand I found is SACO)
    Yeast 2 1/2 tsp

    Use regular machine setting.

    This makes a very heavy, dense, rather small loaf but I enjoy it. I'm just
    finishing off a loaf today.

    Ken






    --
    "When you choose the lesser of two evils, always
    remember that it is still an evil." - Max Lerner







  2. #2
    isw Guest

    Default Re: REC: Speaking of oatmeal - bread

    In article <[email protected]>,
    KenK <[email protected]> wrote:

    > From _The Bread Machine Cookbook_ Vol. 1 by Donna German
    >
    > Water 1 1/3 C
    > Margarine/butter 5 tbs (I use olive oil)
    > Sugar 2 2/3 tbs
    > Salt 2 tsp
    > Oats 1 1/3 C (I use oatmeal)
    > Bread flour 2 2/3 C
    > Buttermilk powder 6 tbs (The brand I found is SACO)
    > Yeast 2 1/2 tsp
    >
    > Use regular machine setting.
    >
    > This makes a very heavy, dense, rather small loaf but I enjoy it. I'm just
    > finishing off a loaf today.


    Consider using molasses instead of sugar; I think it compliments the oat
    flavor nicely.

    Isaac

  3. #3
    Damsel in dis Dress Guest

    Default Re: REC: Speaking of oatmeal - bread

    On 22 Feb 2009 16:09:03 GMT, KenK <[email protected]> wrote:

    >From _The Bread Machine Cookbook_ Vol. 1 by Donna German
    >
    >Water 1 1/3 C
    >Margarine/butter 5 tbs (I use olive oil)
    >Sugar 2 2/3 tbs
    >Salt 2 tsp
    >Oats 1 1/3 C (I use oatmeal)
    >Bread flour 2 2/3 C
    >Buttermilk powder 6 tbs (The brand I found is SACO)
    >Yeast 2 1/2 tsp
    >
    >Use regular machine setting.
    >
    >This makes a very heavy, dense, rather small loaf but I enjoy it. I'm just
    >finishing off a loaf today.


    I gave my bread machine away, but this looks quite good. I have a
    KitchenAid. If I prepared the dough with the KA, what are people's
    best guesses for the size pan to use, the baking temperature, and the
    time?

    Gratefully,
    Carol

    --
    Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.

  4. #4
    Janet Bostwick Guest

    Default Re: REC: Speaking of oatmeal - bread

    Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
    > On 22 Feb 2009 16:09:03 GMT, KenK <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> From _The Bread Machine Cookbook_ Vol. 1 by Donna German
    >>
    >> Water 1 1/3 C
    >> Margarine/butter 5 tbs (I use olive oil)
    >> Sugar 2 2/3 tbs
    >> Salt 2 tsp
    >> Oats 1 1/3 C (I use oatmeal)
    >> Bread flour 2 2/3 C
    >> Buttermilk powder 6 tbs (The brand I found is SACO)
    >> Yeast 2 1/2 tsp
    >>
    >> Use regular machine setting.
    >>
    >> This makes a very heavy, dense, rather small loaf but I enjoy it.
    >> I'm just finishing off a loaf today.

    >
    > I gave my bread machine away, but this looks quite good. I have a
    > KitchenAid. If I prepared the dough with the KA, what are people's
    > best guesses for the size pan to use, the baking temperature, and the
    > time?
    >
    > Gratefully,
    > Carol

    (1) 4 1/2 X 8 1/2; 375F; 35-45 min.
    Janet



  5. #5
    Damsel in dis Dress Guest

    Default Re: REC: Speaking of oatmeal - bread

    On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 06:15:14 -0700, "Janet Bostwick"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
    >> On 22 Feb 2009 16:09:03 GMT, KenK <invalid@invalid.[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> From _The Bread Machine Cookbook_ Vol. 1 by Donna German
    >>>
    >>> Water 1 1/3 C
    >>> Margarine/butter 5 tbs (I use olive oil)
    >>> Sugar 2 2/3 tbs
    >>> Salt 2 tsp
    >>> Oats 1 1/3 C (I use oatmeal)
    >>> Bread flour 2 2/3 C
    >>> Buttermilk powder 6 tbs (The brand I found is SACO)
    >>> Yeast 2 1/2 tsp
    >>>
    >>> Use regular machine setting.
    >>>
    >>> This makes a very heavy, dense, rather small loaf but I enjoy it.
    >>> I'm just finishing off a loaf today.

    >>
    >> I gave my bread machine away, but this looks quite good. I have a
    >> KitchenAid. If I prepared the dough with the KA, what are people's
    >> best guesses for the size pan to use, the baking temperature, and the
    >> time?
    >>
    >> Gratefully,
    >> Carol

    >
    >(1) 4 1/2 X 8 1/2; 375F; 35-45 min.


    Thank you, Janet!

    Carol

    --
    Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.

  6. #6
    Janet Bostwick Guest

    Default Re: REC: Speaking of oatmeal - bread

    Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
    > On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 06:15:14 -0700, "Janet Bostwick"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
    >>> On 22 Feb 2009 16:09:03 GMT, KenK <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> From _The Bread Machine Cookbook_ Vol. 1 by Donna German
    >>>>
    >>>> Water 1 1/3 C
    >>>> Margarine/butter 5 tbs (I use olive oil)
    >>>> Sugar 2 2/3 tbs
    >>>> Salt 2 tsp
    >>>> Oats 1 1/3 C (I use oatmeal)
    >>>> Bread flour 2 2/3 C
    >>>> Buttermilk powder 6 tbs (The brand I found is SACO)
    >>>> Yeast 2 1/2 tsp
    >>>>
    >>>> Use regular machine setting.
    >>>>
    >>>> This makes a very heavy, dense, rather small loaf but I enjoy it.
    >>>> I'm just finishing off a loaf today.
    >>>
    >>> I gave my bread machine away, but this looks quite good. I have a
    >>> KitchenAid. If I prepared the dough with the KA, what are people's
    >>> best guesses for the size pan to use, the baking temperature, and
    >>> the time?
    >>>
    >>> Gratefully,
    >>> Carol

    >>
    >> (1) 4 1/2 X 8 1/2; 375F; 35-45 min.

    >
    > Thank you, Janet!
    >
    > Carol
    >

    A rough rule of thumb is that pan size will do a one pound loaf, so any
    bread machine recipe that produces a one pound loaf will work with that pan.
    350-375 is good for all enriched bread (bread that is more than flour,
    water, salt and yeast -- that is, it has butter or oil, milk and/or eggs).
    35-45 minutes is generally good for an enriched bread. The variable with
    baking time is due to how moist the dough is and how dense with add-ins like
    oatmeal. HTH Should have said all this in previous post but didn't have my
    first cuppa at that time. ;o}
    Janet



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32