Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: rec: Egyptian Tomato Soup

  1. #1
    hahabogus Guest

    Default rec: Egyptian Tomato Soup

    Egyptian Tomato Soup


    1 Tbsp. butter
    1 medium onion, finely chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 (4 oz.) jar diced pimientos
    1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes
    1 (14.5 oz.) can chicken broth
    1/2 tsp. chili powder
    1/4 tsp paprika
    Fresh limes
    Salt and fresh ground black pepper

    In a large pot, melt the butter. Add the onion and garlic, cook until soft. Add the pimientos and
    tomatoes, cover and cook gently for 10 minutes. Add the stock, chili powder and paprika and cook
    for an additional 5 minutes. Using an immersion blender (or transfer to a food processor or
    blender), puree until almost smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with fresh lime
    squeezed on top. Serves 2.


    http://worththewhisk.com/2009/06/17/...n-tomato-soup/
    --

    The beet goes on -Alan




  2. #2
    Jean B. Guest

    Default Re: rec: Egyptian Tomato Soup

    hahabogus wrote:
    > Egyptian Tomato Soup
    >
    >
    > 1 Tbsp. butter
    > 1 medium onion, finely chopped
    > 1 clove garlic, minced
    > 1 (4 oz.) jar diced pimientos
    > 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes
    > 1 (14.5 oz.) can chicken broth
    > 1/2 tsp. chili powder
    > 1/4 tsp paprika
    > Fresh limes
    > Salt and fresh ground black pepper
    >
    > In a large pot, melt the butter. Add the onion and garlic, cook until soft. Add the pimientos and
    > tomatoes, cover and cook gently for 10 minutes. Add the stock, chili powder and paprika and cook
    > for an additional 5 minutes. Using an immersion blender (or transfer to a food processor or
    > blender), puree until almost smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with fresh lime
    > squeezed on top. Serves 2.
    >
    >
    > http://worththewhisk.com/2009/06/17/...n-tomato-soup/


    Chili powder????? I wonder whether that should be chile powder of
    some sort, although the cumin would be right at home in Egypt.

    --
    Jean B.

  3. #3
    Peter Guest

    Default Re: rec: Egyptian Tomato Soup

    "Jean B." <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:


    >>
    >> http://worththewhisk.com/2009/06/17/...n-tomato-soup/

    >
    > Chili powder????? I wonder whether that should be chile powder of
    > some sort,



    There's a difference???


    Chilli=chili=chile


    --
    Peter Lucas
    Brisbane
    Australia

    Killfile all Google Groups posters.........

    http://improve-usenet.org/

    http://improve-usenet.org/filters_bg.html

  4. #4
    Robert Klute Guest

    Default Re: rec: Egyptian Tomato Soup

    On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 16:37:25 +0000 (UTC), Peter <[email protected]> wrote:

    >
    >Chilli=chili=chile


    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chile_powder

    Chile powder (or Chilli powder in the UK) is the ground, dried fruit of
    one or more varieties of chili pepper, most commonly red pepper or
    cayenne pepper, both of the species Capsicum Annuum. It is typically
    used as a spice to add heat or bite to dishes.

    Chile powder is often confused with chili powder, a spice mix containing
    ground chili peppers in addition to other ingredients, such as cumin.
    Chili powder is typically used to flavor the popular Southwest United
    States dish commonly known as chili. While the two are pronounced the
    same, they impart quite a different flavoring to food.

    Chile powder is also known as ground/powdered red pepper or sometimes by
    the specific variety of chili pepper used. Chile powder is also used in
    far eastern dishes.





  5. #5
    hahabogus Guest

    Default Re: rec: Egyptian Tomato Soup

    "Jean B." <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected] on Jul Thu 2009
    am

    > Chili powder????? I wonder whether that should be chile powder of
    > some sort, although the cumin would be right at home in Egypt.
    >


    I suspect the chilli powder is a replacement for some egyptian spice blend not readily availible
    outside Egypt.

    --

    The beet goes on -Alan




  6. #6
    Peter Guest

    Default Re: rec: Egyptian Tomato Soup

    Robert Klute <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 16:37:25 +0000 (UTC), Peter <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>
    >>Chilli=chili=chile

    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chile_powder
    >



    My head hurts!!



    --
    Peter Lucas
    Brisbane
    Australia

    Killfile all Google Groups posters.........

    http://improve-usenet.org/

    http://improve-usenet.org/filters_bg.html

  7. #7
    brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: rec: Egyptian Tomato Soup


    "Jean B." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > hahabogus wrote:
    >> Egyptian Tomato Soup
    >>
    >> 1 Tbsp. butter 1 medium onion, finely chopped 1 clove garlic,
    >> minced 1 (4 oz.) jar diced pimientos 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced
    >> tomatoes 1 (14.5 oz.) can chicken broth 1/2 tsp. chili powder
    >> 1/4 tsp paprika Fresh limes Salt and fresh ground black pepper
    >>
    >> In a large pot, melt the butter. Add the onion and garlic, cook until
    >> soft. Add the pimientos and tomatoes, cover and cook gently for 10
    >> minutes. Add the stock, chili powder and paprika and cook for an
    >> additional 5 minutes. Using an immersion blender (or transfer to a food
    >> processor or blender), puree until almost smooth. Season with salt and
    >> pepper to taste. Serve with fresh lime squeezed on top. Serves 2.
    >>
    >>
    >> http://worththewhisk.com/2009/06/17/...n-tomato-soup/

    >
    > Chili powder????? I wonder whether that should be chile powder of some
    > sort, although the cumin would be right at home in Egypt.
    >
    >

    Cumin is a necessary integrel part of chile/chili powder but a very tiny
    part. Chili powder is like 90% capsicum, purely Americas just like tomato.
    But I can't see what makes this or any tomato soup Egyptian. Limes are from
    China. Chicken is from India. I don't think there is much of anything
    edible native to Egypt,
    maybe just Jews... their foreskins. I think Campbell's makes "Egyptian
    Tomato Foreskin Soup". LOL




  8. #8
    Cindy Hamilton Guest

    Default Re: rec: Egyptian Tomato Soup

    On Jul 16, 1:08*pm, Peter <P...@brissie.aus> wrote:
    > Robert Klute <robert_kl...@hp.com> wrote innews:[email protected]:
    >
    > > On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 16:37:25 +0000 (UTC), Peter <P...@brissie.aus> wrote:

    >
    > >>Chilli=chili=chile

    >
    > >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chile_powder

    >
    > My head hurts!!


    Look at it this way. Chili powder (in the U.S. sense) should be
    called
    Chile con Carne Powder. But that wouldn't fit onto those little jars.

    Cindy Hamilton

  9. #9
    Pete C. Guest

    Default Re: rec: Egyptian Tomato Soup


    brooklyn1 wrote:
    >
    > "Jean B." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]..
    > > hahabogus wrote:
    > >> Egyptian Tomato Soup
    > >>
    > >> 1 Tbsp. butter 1 medium onion, finely chopped 1 clove garlic,
    > >> minced 1 (4 oz.) jar diced pimientos 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced
    > >> tomatoes 1 (14.5 oz.) can chicken broth 1/2 tsp. chili powder
    > >> 1/4 tsp paprika Fresh limes Salt and fresh ground black pepper
    > >>
    > >> In a large pot, melt the butter. Add the onion and garlic, cook until
    > >> soft. Add the pimientos and tomatoes, cover and cook gently for 10
    > >> minutes. Add the stock, chili powder and paprika and cook for an
    > >> additional 5 minutes. Using an immersion blender (or transfer to a food
    > >> processor or blender), puree until almost smooth. Season with salt and
    > >> pepper to taste. Serve with fresh lime squeezed on top. Serves 2.
    > >>
    > >>
    > >> http://worththewhisk.com/2009/06/17/...n-tomato-soup/

    > >
    > > Chili powder????? I wonder whether that should be chile powder of some
    > > sort, although the cumin would be right at home in Egypt.
    > >
    > >

    > Cumin is a necessary integrel part of chile/chili powder but a very tiny
    > part. Chili powder is like 90% capsicum, purely Americas just like tomato.
    > But I can't see what makes this or any tomato soup Egyptian. Limes are from
    > China. Chicken is from India. I don't think there is much of anything
    > edible native to Egypt,
    > maybe just Jews... their foreskins. I think Campbell's makes "Egyptian
    > Tomato Foreskin Soup". LOL


    Last I heard, the Jewish population of Egypt was around 70 persons,
    mostly elderly.

  10. #10
    Jean B. Guest

    Default Re: rec: Egyptian Tomato Soup

    Peter wrote:
    > "Jean B." <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >
    >
    >>> http://worththewhisk.com/2009/06/17/...n-tomato-soup/

    >> Chili powder????? I wonder whether that should be chile powder of
    >> some sort,

    >
    >
    > There's a difference???
    >
    >
    > Chilli=chili=chile
    >
    >

    Here we tend to differentiate. We generally don't use "chilli".
    Chili powder is the mixture of seasonings used to make the dish
    called chili [con carne, etc.]. Chile refers to the peppers.

    --
    Jean B.

  11. #11
    Jean B. Guest

    Default Re: rec: Egyptian Tomato Soup

    Robert Klute wrote:
    > On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 16:37:25 +0000 (UTC), Peter <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Chilli=chili=chile

    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chile_powder
    >
    > Chile powder (or Chilli powder in the UK) is the ground, dried fruit of
    > one or more varieties of chili pepper, most commonly red pepper or
    > cayenne pepper, both of the species Capsicum Annuum. It is typically
    > used as a spice to add heat or bite to dishes.
    >
    > Chile powder is often confused with chili powder, a spice mix containing
    > ground chili peppers in addition to other ingredients, such as cumin.
    > Chili powder is typically used to flavor the popular Southwest United
    > States dish commonly known as chili. While the two are pronounced the
    > same, they impart quite a different flavoring to food.
    >
    > Chile powder is also known as ground/powdered red pepper or sometimes by
    > the specific variety of chili pepper used. Chile powder is also used in
    > far eastern dishes.
    >

    A much more detailed answer. I should read by thread.

    --
    Jean B.

  12. #12
    Jean B. Guest

    Default Re: rec: Egyptian Tomato Soup

    hahabogus wrote:
    > "Jean B." <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected] on Jul Thu 2009
    > am
    >
    >> Chili powder????? I wonder whether that should be chile powder of
    >> some sort, although the cumin would be right at home in Egypt.
    >>

    >
    > I suspect the chilli powder is a replacement for some egyptian spice blend not readily availible
    > outside Egypt.
    >


    Hmmm. I wonder what that might be. You are probably right.

    --
    Jean B.

  13. #13
    Mr. Bill Guest

    Default Re: rec: Egyptian Tomato Soup

    On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 15:28:38 GMT, hahabogus <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > Egyptian Tomato Soup


    I can get the ingredients at the neighborhood market.....what makes it
    Egyptian?


  14. #14
    Peter Guest

    Default Re: rec: Egyptian Tomato Soup

    Cindy Hamilton <[email protected]> wrote in news:cbe79aec-9085-
    [email protected]:

    > On Jul 16, 1:08*pm, Peter <P...@brissie.aus> wrote:
    >> Robert Klute <robert_kl...@hp.com> wrote

    innews:hgmu55963ia1pfdc9q7u7fnki
    > [email protected]:
    >>
    >> > On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 16:37:25 +0000 (UTC), Peter <P...@brissie.aus>

    wrot
    > e:
    >>
    >> >>Chilli=chili=chile

    >>
    >> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chile_powder

    >>
    >> My head hurts!!

    >
    > Look at it this way. Chili powder (in the U.S. sense) should be
    > called
    > Chile con Carne Powder.



    Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!! I see said the blind man.

    It's only a watered down additive.


    > But that wouldn't fit onto those little jars.
    >



    LOL!!! They could always shorten it to CCCP.... but then all the Russian
    ex-pats would snap it up ;-)


    --
    Peter Lucas
    Brisbane
    Australia

    Killfile all Google Groups posters.........

    http://improve-usenet.org/

    http://improve-usenet.org/filters_bg.html

  15. #15
    Peter Guest

    Default Re: rec: Egyptian Tomato Soup

    "Jean B." <[email protected]> wrote in news:7c9d7eF26pn9gU1
    @mid.individual.net:

    > Peter wrote:
    >> "Jean B." <[email protected]> wrote in
    >> news:[email protected]:
    >>
    >>
    >>>> http://worththewhisk.com/2009/06/17/...n-tomato-soup/
    >>> Chili powder????? I wonder whether that should be chile powder of
    >>> some sort,

    >>
    >>
    >> There's a difference???
    >>
    >>
    >> Chilli=chili=chile
    >>
    >>

    > Here we tend to differentiate. We generally don't use "chilli".
    > Chili powder is the mixture of seasonings used to make the dish
    > called chili [con carne, etc.]. Chile refers to the peppers.
    >



    Thanks Jean.


    Over here, if you put chilli/chili powder in something, you want it to
    *burn* :-)

    And that's why we call our 'peppers' capsicums :-)


    Oh, and in 'chili' dishes such as CCC, we use straight chilli powder, and
    add the other seasoning seperately.

    --
    Peter Lucas
    Brisbane
    Australia

    Killfile all Google Groups posters.........

    http://improve-usenet.org/

    http://improve-usenet.org/filters_bg.html

  16. #16
    Cindy Hamilton Guest

    Default Re: rec: Egyptian Tomato Soup

    On Jul 16, 8:09*pm, Peter <P...@brissie.aus> wrote:
    > Cindy Hamilton <angelicapagane...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:cbe79aec-9085-
    > 41c7-9a65-0349a8211...@32g2000yqj.googlegroups.com:
    >
    > > On Jul 16, 1:08*pm, Peter <P...@brissie.aus> wrote:
    > >> Robert Klute <robert_kl...@hp.com> wrote

    >
    > innews:hgmu55963ia1pfdc9q7u7fnki
    >
    > > qdi78u...@4ax.com:

    >
    > >> > On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 16:37:25 +0000 (UTC), Peter <P...@brissie.aus>

    > wrot
    > > e:

    >
    > >> >>Chilli=chili=chile

    >
    > >> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chile_powder

    >
    > >> My head hurts!!

    >
    > > Look at it this way. *Chili powder (in the U.S. sense) should be
    > > called
    > > Chile con Carne Powder. *

    >
    > Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!! I see said the blind man.
    >
    > It's only a watered down additive.


    Some of it's pretty hot. If you like the way it tastes, then
    there's nothing wrong with using it, I feel.

    I use it myself for a recipe of my mother-in-law's, for what I call
    "Braised Brisket in Barbecue Flavor", since it is not barbecue
    by any sane definition of the word.

    When we make CCC, we put in individual spices. However, there's a
    certain
    style of CCC that I call "diner chili" for which prepared chili powder
    is
    essential. "Diner chili" is what you might expect to find in modest
    Midwestern or Eastern eating establishments anytime in the last
    half-century. More of a mildly spicy, meaty soup. Usually served
    with oyster crackers (small, hexagonal saltines).

    > > But that wouldn't fit onto those little jars.

    >
    > LOL!!! They could always shorten it to CCCP.... but then all the Russian
    > ex-pats would snap it up ;-)


    And wouldn't they be surprised!

    Cindy

  17. #17
    Patti Londre Guest

    Default Re: rec: Egyptian Tomato Soup

    -- Hi Everyone, I wrote that recipe on my blog http://www.WorthTheWhisk.com..
    Here are answers to your questions.

    "What Makes It Egyptian?" -- we vacationed in Egypt a few months ago.
    The tomato soup there was quite different than what we have here in
    California. I tried my hand at reconstructing it using common
    ingredients here in the US. You can pretty much get any spice in
    Egypt, gigantic barrels of every imaginable flavor and color.
    Unfortunately, the signage was all in Egyptian and I don't bring
    spices back from vacation, never sure if I can get past the customs
    dogs anyway. I just guessed at the flavors and ended up with a very
    close replica.

    "Chili Powder" -- common ingredient here in the Southwest US.
    Sometimes called Hot Mexican Style. The Ingredient list is Chili
    Pepper, Spices, Salt, Garlic Powder. It actually isn't "hot." It's
    just a flavor blend we use often.

    When you make the soup, the LIMES are part of what makes it Egyptian,
    too.

    Bon Appetit
    Patti
    Los Angeles, California, USA


    On Jul 16, 4:09*pm, Mr. Bill <bb0...@gmail.com> wrote:
    > On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 15:28:38 GMT, hahabogus <do...@have1.invalid>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > *Egyptian Tomato Soup

    >
    > I can get the ingredients at the neighborhood market.....what makes it
    > Egyptian? *



  18. #18
    Jean B. Guest

    Default Re: rec: Egyptian Tomato Soup

    Patti Londre wrote:
    > -- Hi Everyone, I wrote that recipe on my blog http://www.WorthTheWhisk.com.
    > Here are answers to your questions.
    >
    > "What Makes It Egyptian?" -- we vacationed in Egypt a few months ago.
    > The tomato soup there was quite different than what we have here in
    > California. I tried my hand at reconstructing it using common
    > ingredients here in the US. You can pretty much get any spice in
    > Egypt, gigantic barrels of every imaginable flavor and color.
    > Unfortunately, the signage was all in Egyptian and I don't bring
    > spices back from vacation, never sure if I can get past the customs
    > dogs anyway. I just guessed at the flavors and ended up with a very
    > close replica.
    >
    > "Chili Powder" -- common ingredient here in the Southwest US.
    > Sometimes called Hot Mexican Style. The Ingredient list is Chili
    > Pepper, Spices, Salt, Garlic Powder. It actually isn't "hot." It's
    > just a flavor blend we use often.
    >
    > When you make the soup, the LIMES are part of what makes it Egyptian,
    > too.
    >
    > Bon Appetit
    > Patti
    > Los Angeles, California, USA
    >
    >
    > On Jul 16, 4:09 pm, Mr. Bill <bb0...@gmail.com> wrote:
    >> On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 15:28:38 GMT, hahabogus <do...@have1.invalid>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Egyptian Tomato Soup

    >> I can get the ingredients at the neighborhood market.....what makes it
    >> Egyptian?

    >

    That's informative. Thanks.

    --
    Jean B.

  19. #19
    Robert Klute Guest

    Default Re: rec: Egyptian Tomato Soup

    On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 00:13:31 +0000 (UTC), Peter <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Jean B." <[email protected]> wrote in news:7c9d7eF26pn9gU1
    >@mid.individual.net:
    >
    >> Peter wrote:
    >>> "Jean B." <[email protected]> wrote in
    >>> news:[email protected]:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>> http://worththewhisk.com/2009/06/17/...n-tomato-soup/
    >>>> Chili powder????? I wonder whether that should be chile powder of
    >>>> some sort,
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> There's a difference???
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Chilli=chili=chile
    >>>
    >>>

    >> Here we tend to differentiate. We generally don't use "chilli".
    >> Chili powder is the mixture of seasonings used to make the dish
    >> called chili [con carne, etc.]. Chile refers to the peppers.
    >>

    >
    >
    >Thanks Jean.
    >
    >
    >Over here, if you put chilli/chili powder in something, you want it to
    >*burn* :-)
    >
    >And that's why we call our 'peppers' capsicums :-)


    In India, at least the parts I have visited, capsicum is synonymous with
    bell peppers.


  20. #20
    brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: rec: Egyptian Tomato Soup

    "Patti Londre" <[email protected]> wrote:
    When you make the soup, the LIMES are part of what makes it Egyptian,
    too.

    How's that... limes originated in India.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lime_(fruit)

    Adding lime to food in no way makes it Egyptian... limes are used in all
    ethnic cousines.








Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32