Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 46

Thread: Real food.

  1. #1
    Dimitri Guest

    Default Real food.

    Deli,

    Please watch till the end.....

    Enjoy

    http://vimeo.com/53381762


    Dimitri

  2. #2
    George Leppla Guest

    Default Re: Real food.

    On 11/29/2012 12:18 PM, Dimitri wrote:
    > Deli,
    >
    > Please watch till the end.....
    >
    > Enjoy
    >
    > http://vimeo.com/53381762



    Nice. I don't know how they missed Katz's Deli in NY.

    George L

  3. #3
    gtr Guest

    Default Re: Real food.

    On 2012-11-29 18:18:04 +0000, Dimitri said:

    > Deli,
    >
    > Please watch till the end.....
    >
    > Enjoy
    >
    > http://vimeo.com/53381762


    Plenty of good stuff. Thanks for that.


  4. #4
    gtr Guest

    Default Re: Real food.

    On 2012-11-29 19:00:04 +0000, George Leppla said:

    > On 11/29/2012 12:18 PM, Dimitri wrote:
    >> Deli,
    >>
    >> Please watch till the end.....
    >>
    >> Enjoy
    >>
    >> http://vimeo.com/53381762

    >
    > Nice. I don't know how they missed Katz's Deli in NY.


    I was delighted to find they had a couple from LA.

    Maybe the folks at Katz didn't want the aggravation. Also, this
    purports to be a "trailer" so maybe there will be something more
    substantial later on.

    While on the topic of mom and pop joints, "I Like Killing Flies" isn't
    to be missed.


  5. #5
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: Real food.

    On Thu, 29 Nov 2012 13:00:04 -0600, George Leppla
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On 11/29/2012 12:18 PM, Dimitri wrote:
    >> Deli,
    >>
    >> Please watch till the end.....
    >>
    >> Enjoy
    >>
    >> http://vimeo.com/53381762

    >
    >
    >Nice. I don't know how they missed Katz's Deli in NY.


    Easy, Katz's Deli is not kosher.

  6. #6
    George Leppla Guest

    Default Re: Real food.

    On 11/29/2012 3:19 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
    > On Thu, 29 Nov 2012 13:00:04 -0600, George Leppla
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> On 11/29/2012 12:18 PM, Dimitri wrote:
    >>> Deli,
    >>>
    >>> Please watch till the end.....
    >>>
    >>> Enjoy
    >>>
    >>> http://vimeo.com/53381762

    >>
    >>
    >> Nice. I don't know how they missed Katz's Deli in NY.

    >
    > Easy, Katz's Deli is not kosher.



    Neither are the Stage Deli, Canters, Langers and especially Kenny and
    Ziggies.

    And most of the others. True Kosher delis are few and far between.

    George L

  7. #7
    gtr Guest

    Default Re: Real food.

    On 2012-11-29 21:36:35 +0000, George Leppla said:

    >>> Nice. I don't know how they missed Katz's Deli in NY.

    >>
    >> Easy, Katz's Deli is not kosher.

    >
    > Neither are the Stage Deli, Canters, Langers and especially Kenny and Ziggies.


    There's Kosher, Non-Kosher and Especially Non-Kosher? Is there XTreme
    Non-Kosher or Severe Kosher as well.

    > And most of the others. True Kosher delis are few and far between.


    What are the markers for "true" in Kosher deli's?


  8. #8
    Goomba Guest

    Default Re: Real food.

    On 11/29/12 4:36 PM, George Leppla wrote:

    > Neither are the Stage Deli, Canters, Langers and especially Kenny and
    > Ziggies.
    >
    > And most of the others. True Kosher delis are few and far between.
    >
    > George L


    Stage Door Deli does one hellfa good breakfast!! The fresh squeezed
    orange juice was pure wonderful sunshine. The way they could move a line
    of customers through at 0730 in the morning was brilliant!

  9. #9
    gloria p Guest

    Default Re: Real food.

    On 11/29/2012 11:18 AM, Dimitri wrote:
    > Deli,
    >
    > Please watch till the end.....
    >
    > Enjoy
    >
    > http://vimeo.com/53381762
    >
    > Dimitri



    Loved it. I wish Margaret still read rfc.

    gloria p

  10. #10
    gloria p Guest

    Default Re: Real food.

    On 11/29/2012 5:05 PM, gtr wrote:
    > On 2012-11-29 21:36:35 +0000, George Leppla said:
    >
    >>>> Nice. I don't know how they missed Katz's Deli in NY.
    >>>
    >>> Easy, Katz's Deli is not kosher.

    >>
    >> Neither are the Stage Deli, Canters, Langers and especially Kenny and
    >> Ziggies.

    >
    > There's Kosher, Non-Kosher and Especially Non-Kosher? Is there XTreme
    > Non-Kosher or Severe Kosher as well.
    >
    >> And most of the others. True Kosher delis are few and far between.

    >
    > What are the markers for "true" in Kosher deli's?
    >



    Among other things: a
    All the food they sell is certified Kosher
    They don't sell ham or any other pork product.
    They don't sell shellfish of any kind.
    They have separate dairy and meat meals and never mix the two.

    gloria p

  11. #11
    Alan Holbrook Guest

    Default Re: Real food.

    "Dimitri" <[email protected]> wrote in news:k988sn$icb$[email protected]:

    > Deli,
    >
    > Please watch till the end.....
    >
    > Enjoy
    >
    > http://vimeo.com/53381762
    >
    >
    > Dimitri


    Well, time for a pilgrimage to Brookline (MA)...

    Anyone remember Hector's in NYC...?

  12. #12
    George Leppla Guest

    Default Re: Real food.

    On 11/29/2012 6:05 PM, gtr wrote:
    > On 2012-11-29 21:36:35 +0000, George Leppla said:
    >
    >>>> Nice. I don't know how they missed Katz's Deli in NY.
    >>>
    >>> Easy, Katz's Deli is not kosher.

    >>
    >> Neither are the Stage Deli, Canters, Langers and especially Kenny and Ziggies.

    >
    > There's Kosher, Non-Kosher and Especially Non-Kosher? Is there XTreme
    > Non-Kosher or Severe Kosher as well.



    Kosher... everything is Kosher according to Jewish rules.

    Non-Kosher... same type of food but made without kosher certification.

    Places like Kenny and Ziggies don't even bother to pretend. You will
    find sandwiches with meat and cheese, pork products, etc. Kenny and
    Ziggies sells ham and cheese sandwiches... Extremely Non-Kosher.

    > What are the markers for "true" in Kosher deli's?


    Sheldon could probably explain it much better than I, but here is a
    quick rundown on what makes something Kosher:
    http://www.koshercertification.org.uk/whatdoe.html

    George L

  13. #13
    gtr Guest

    Default Re: Real food.

    On 2012-11-30 03:22:06 +0000, gloria p said:

    > On 11/29/2012 5:05 PM, gtr wrote:
    >> On 2012-11-29 21:36:35 +0000, George Leppla said:
    >>
    >>>>> Nice. I don't know how they missed Katz's Deli in NY.
    >>>>
    >>>> Easy, Katz's Deli is not kosher.
    >>>
    >>> Neither are the Stage Deli, Canters, Langers and especially Kenny and
    >>> Ziggies.

    >>
    >> There's Kosher, Non-Kosher and Especially Non-Kosher? Is there XTreme
    >> Non-Kosher or Severe Kosher as well.
    >>
    >>> And most of the others. True Kosher delis are few and far between.

    >>
    >> What are the markers for "true" in Kosher deli's?

    >
    > Among other things: a
    > All the food they sell is certified Kosher
    > They don't sell ham or any other pork product.
    > They don't sell shellfish of any kind.
    > They have separate dairy and meat meals and never mix the two.


    That's a Kosher deli. My quesion was, what's the difference between a
    "true" Kosher deli and a Kosher deli.



  14. #14
    gtr Guest

    Default Re: Real food.

    On 2012-11-30 13:00:42 +0000, George Leppla said:

    > On 11/29/2012 6:05 PM, gtr wrote:
    >> On 2012-11-29 21:36:35 +0000, George Leppla said:
    >>
    >>>>> Nice. I don't know how they missed Katz's Deli in NY.
    >>>>
    >>>> Easy, Katz's Deli is not kosher.
    >>>
    >>> Neither are the Stage Deli, Canters, Langers and especially Kenny and Ziggies.

    >>
    >> There's Kosher, Non-Kosher and Especially Non-Kosher? Is there XTreme
    >> Non-Kosher or Severe Kosher as well.

    >
    >
    > Kosher... everything is Kosher according to Jewish rules.
    >
    > Non-Kosher... same type of food but made without kosher certification.
    >
    > Places like Kenny and Ziggies don't even bother to pretend. You will
    > find sandwiches with meat and cheese, pork products, etc. Kenny and
    > Ziggies sells ham and cheese sandwiches... Extremely Non-Kosher.
    >
    >> What are the markers for "true" in Kosher deli's?

    >
    > Sheldon could probably explain it much better than I, but here is a
    > quick rundown on what makes something Kosher:
    > http://www.koshercertification.org.uk/whatdoe.html


    Okay. Just wanted to clarify there is a Kosher deli and there is
    non-Kosher deli's and the extremely, partially, "true" and all the
    others are just riffs and a binary thing: Is or is not.


  15. #15
    George Leppla Guest

    Default Re: Real food.

    On 11/30/2012 9:36 AM, gtr wrote:

    > Okay. Just wanted to clarify there is a Kosher deli and there is
    > non-Kosher deli's and the extremely, partially, "true" and all the
    > others are just riffs and a binary thing: Is or is not.



    Must be tough having to have everything spelled out in black and white.
    I can't imagine having reading comprehension that is so rigid and
    precise that you can't infer or understand shades of gray... or being so
    uptight that you need to have casual variations explained for you.

    George L

  16. #16
    gtr Guest

    Default Re: Real food.

    On 2012-11-30 15:51:05 +0000, George Leppla said:

    > On 11/30/2012 9:36 AM, gtr wrote:
    >
    >> Okay. Just wanted to clarify there is a Kosher deli and there is
    >> non-Kosher deli's and the extremely, partially, "true" and all the
    >> others are just riffs and a binary thing: Is or is not.

    >
    > Must be tough having to have everything spelled out in black and white.


    Must be difficult to have questions become a personal affront.

    Black and white isn't "tough", it's just an attempt to get valid
    information. "Gray" in this context is called "vague", and so is the
    phrase "True Kosher" when compared to "regular Kosher", so provides
    nothing.

    > I can't imagine having reading comprehension that is so rigid and
    > precise that you can't infer or understand shades of gray...


    "Imagination" doesn't help when you're asking for specific information.
    There are no shades of gray in "Kosher". It is or it is not. Like
    vegetarian. It is vegetarian or not. "peanut free" or not. On the
    other hand "reduced sodium" or "low fat" is a matter of gradation.
    Judaism itself comes in various types, so it might make sense that
    Kosher would come in various types to relate to Ashkenazi v. Sephardic
    for example. Since I can't verify (aka "black and white") I'll
    concluding that Kosher is universal to all.

    > ...or being so uptight that you need to have casual variations
    > explained for you.


    Your personal insults are noted, though not your rationale. Duly disregarded.

    I'm concluding there is no "casual variation". It is either Kosher or
    it isn't. A tiny bit of cheese on your hamburger doesn't make it a
    "little less Kosher". It makes it treif.

    Some are more observant that others; some friends have accepted one
    thing (crab for instance) but not others (pork). But I'm concluding
    that those that now eat shellfish don't consider it it "Kosher" while
    those that eat neither consider that "true Kosher".

    Well.That's enough of that. If there is any more authoritative info
    that doesn't intersect my personal failings I'm still interested in
    hearing it.


  17. #17
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: Real food.

    On Thu, 29 Nov 2012 20:22:06 -0700, gloria p <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >On 11/29/2012 5:05 PM, gtr wrote:
    >> On 2012-11-29 21:36:35 +0000, George Leppla said:
    >>
    >>>>> Nice. I don't know how they missed Katz's Deli in NY.
    >>>>
    >>>> Easy, Katz's Deli is not kosher.
    >>>
    >>> Neither are the Stage Deli, Canters, Langers and especially Kenny and
    >>> Ziggies.

    >>
    >> There's Kosher, Non-Kosher and Especially Non-Kosher? Is there XTreme
    >> Non-Kosher or Severe Kosher as well.
    >>
    >>> And most of the others. True Kosher delis are few and far between.

    >>
    >> What are the markers for "true" in Kosher deli's?
    >>

    >
    >
    >Among other things: a
    >All the food they sell is certified Kosher
    >They don't sell ham or any other pork product.
    >They don't sell shellfish of any kind.
    >They have separate dairy and meat meals and never mix the two.


    A kosher deli serves no dairy, there is no dairy on the premises.

  18. #18
    George M. Middius Guest

    Default Re: Real food.

    gtr wrote:

    > Black and white isn't "tough", it's just an attempt to get valid
    > information. "Gray" in this context is called "vague", and so is the
    > phrase "True Kosher" when compared to "regular Kosher", so provides
    > nothing.


    Speaking of vagaries, did anybody ever figure out what "legitimate
    rape"is?


  19. #19
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: Real food.

    On Fri, 30 Nov 2012 07:35:04 -0800, gtr <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On 2012-11-30 03:22:06 +0000, gloria p said:
    >
    >> On 11/29/2012 5:05 PM, gtr wrote:
    >>> On 2012-11-29 21:36:35 +0000, George Leppla said:
    >>>
    >>>>>> Nice. I don't know how they missed Katz's Deli in NY.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Easy, Katz's Deli is not kosher.
    >>>>
    >>>> Neither are the Stage Deli, Canters, Langers and especially Kenny and
    >>>> Ziggies.
    >>>
    >>> There's Kosher, Non-Kosher and Especially Non-Kosher? Is there XTreme
    >>> Non-Kosher or Severe Kosher as well.
    >>>
    >>>> And most of the others. True Kosher delis are few and far between.
    >>>
    >>> What are the markers for "true" in Kosher deli's?

    >>
    >> Among other things: a
    >> All the food they sell is certified Kosher
    >> They don't sell ham or any other pork product.
    >> They don't sell shellfish of any kind.
    >> They have separate dairy and meat meals and never mix the two.

    >
    >That's a Kosher deli. My quesion was, what's the difference between a
    >"true" Kosher deli and a Kosher deli.


    There is no "true" kosher deli, it's either kosher or it's not. The
    delis that are mentioned here are not kosher, they are kosher style,
    ie. they sell the same kinds of foods but they are not kosher foods,
    they use non kosher ingredients nor are they prepared according to
    kosher law, in other words their kitchens are not kosher.

  20. #20
    [email protected] Guest

    Default Re: Real food.

    On Friday, November 30, 2012 3:49:39 PM UTC-5, George M. Middius wrote:
    > gtr wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    > > Black and white isn't "tough", it's just an attempt to get valid

    >
    > > information. "Gray" in this context is called "vague", and so is the

    >
    > > phrase "True Kosher" when compared to "regular Kosher", so provides

    >
    > > nothing.

    >
    >
    >
    > Speaking of vagaries, did anybody ever figure out what "legitimate
    >
    > rape"is?


    If it involves a broom stick and your ass, not only is it legitimate, it's justified.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32