Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40

Thread: Re: OT: Amazon Prime Shipping Trial

  1. #1
    Nancy2 Guest

    Default Re: OT: Amazon Prime Shipping Trial

    On Sep 22, 1:00*pm, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:
    > Apparently you can sign up for the trial more than once. *This gives
    > you free 2-day shipping on your orders for a month for $0. *I last
    > used it April 22nd, 2010 (and canceled it May 20th, 2010 otherwise
    > they bill you $80). *And I was able to sign up again for a new free
    > trial today. *Good for another 30 days of free 2-day shipping.
    > Nothing in the fine print said I couldn't sign up for the free trial
    > twice (I guess they're hoping I forgot to cancel).
    >
    > ObFood: Cheez Waffies and Brisket-Green Chile sandwich for lunch
    > today. *I brought back 10 bags of Wise Cheez Waffies from Pittsburgh.
    > I'll probably order some more from Amazon while I still have free
    > 2-day shipping.
    >
    > http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/9043/...etandhatch.jpg
    >
    > -sw


    Isn't Amazon Prime a credit card? If so, you're killing your credit
    rating....any inquiry by a new issuer will cost points.

    N.

  2. #2
    notbob Guest

    Default Re: OT: Amazon Prime Shipping Trial

    On 2011-09-22, Nancy2 <[email protected]> wrote:

    > rating....any inquiry by a new issuer will cost points.


    Why?

    nb

  3. #3
    Christine Dabney Guest

    Default Re: OT: Amazon Prime Shipping Trial

    On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 12:54:36 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Isn't Amazon Prime a credit card? If so, you're killing your credit
    >rating....any inquiry by a new issuer will cost points.
    >
    >N.


    No, it isn't a credit card. It is a service that allows one to get
    free 2 day shipping, or next day shipping for $3.99. It is fee based,
    as Steve said..about $79 for a year. You pay once a year.
    It pays for itself pretty quickly if you are really impatient like me,
    and who orders frequently from Amazon. I think it is worth it.

    I discovered this the hard way, when I let it lapse earlier in the
    year, and got something shipped from them. I paid up the wazoo in
    shipping charges, cause I wanted it in my usual 2 day window. Even
    having a more standard shipping time, cost me.

    OB Food: I am getting ready to place a fairly large order with them
    for cookbooks. A ton of new cookbooks are hitting the shelves this
    month and the next...and I want a lot of them. Plus one or two older
    ones: I just got Plenty by Ottolenghi, and I want his earlier cookbook
    now. He is an amazing cook, who is doing some lovely things with
    vegetables these days, even though he is not vegetarian.

    Christine
    --
    http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com

  4. #4
    sf Guest

    Default Re: OT: Amazon Prime Shipping Trial

    On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 13:25:12 -0700, Christine Dabney
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 12:54:36 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Isn't Amazon Prime a credit card? If so, you're killing your credit
    > >rating....any inquiry by a new issuer will cost points.
    > >
    > >N.

    >
    > No, it isn't a credit card. It is a service that allows one to get
    > free 2 day shipping, or next day shipping for $3.99. It is fee based,
    > as Steve said..about $79 for a year. You pay once a year.
    > It pays for itself pretty quickly if you are really impatient like me,
    > and who orders frequently from Amazon. I think it is worth it.


    That's how I got my silicone crumpet rings. I asked my son to order
    them for me because he has that free shipping from Amazon thing.

    --
    I love cooking with wine.
    Sometimes I even put it in the food.

  5. #5
    Dan Abel Guest

    Default Re: OT: Amazon Prime Shipping Trial

    In article <6orivyvp6zbp$.[email protected]>,
    Sqwertz <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 12:54:36 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2 wrote:
    >
    > > On Sep 22, 1:00*pm, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:
    > >> Apparently you can sign up for the trial more than once. *This gives
    > >> you free 2-day shipping on your orders for a month for $0.


    > >> http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/9043/...etandhatch.jpg

    > >
    > > Isn't Amazon Prime a credit card?

    >
    > Uh, no. It's not. It exactly what I said it was. How would get a
    > free 30-day trial on a credit card?


    It does in fact seem to be exactly what you said it was. How odd.

    :-)

    There are so many weird deals associated with credit cards that I
    wouldn't be surprised at nearly anything. I, too, assumed that it was a
    credit card deal. They are offering some kind of credit card deal, but
    I don't know what it is.

    > > If so, you're killing your credit
    > > rating....any inquiry by a new issuer will cost points.

    >
    > That sounds like fiction to me.


    To many credit inquiries looks bad on your credit report.

    --
    Dan Abel
    Petaluma, California USA
    [email protected]

  6. #6
    pure kona Guest

    Default Re: OT: Amazon Prime Shipping Trial

    On 22 Sep 2011 19:57:09 GMT, notbob <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On 2011-09-22, Nancy2 <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> rating....any inquiry by a new issuer will cost points.

    >
    >Why?
    >
    >nb


    I have read that numerous times too. Nancy is correct of course. Look
    up any article on how to protect your credit and that will be there.

    aloha,
    Cea

  7. #7
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: OT: Amazon Prime Shipping Trial

    On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 13:25:12 -0700, Christine Dabney
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 12:54:36 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Isn't Amazon Prime a credit card? If so, you're killing your credit
    >>rating....any inquiry by a new issuer will cost points.
    >>
    >>N.

    >
    >No, it isn't a credit card. It is a service that allows one to get
    >free 2 day shipping, or next day shipping for $3.99. It is fee based,
    >as Steve said..about $79 for a year. You pay once a year.
    >It pays for itself pretty quickly if you are really impatient like me,
    >and who orders frequently from Amazon. I think it is worth it.
    >
    >I discovered this the hard way, when I let it lapse earlier in the
    >year, and got something shipped from them. I paid up the wazoo in
    >shipping charges, cause I wanted it in my usual 2 day window. Even
    >having a more standard shipping time, cost me.


    I order from Amazon often and use the free shipping mode and still
    almost always receive my orders within 2-3 days. And I can't remember
    any item that it really mattered how long it took to receive... in
    fact most times I forget all about it and all of a sudden there's a
    carton at my side door that I've no idea what it is until I open it. I
    can't remember anything I've ordered mail order that I had to have
    right away, even prescription drug refills arrive long before I use up
    all the last order. When its an item I really need right away I drive
    to a store and do cash and carry... but that's very rare.

  8. #8
    Christine Dabney Guest

    Default Re: OT: Amazon Prime Shipping Trial

    On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 19:38:22 -0400, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

    >I order from Amazon often and use the free shipping mode and still
    >almost always receive my orders within 2-3 days. And I can't remember
    >any item that it really mattered how long it took to receive... in
    >fact most times I forget all about it and all of a sudden there's a
    >carton at my side door that I've no idea what it is until I open it. I
    >can't remember anything I've ordered mail order that I had to have
    >right away, even prescription drug refills arrive long before I use up
    >all the last order. When its an item I really need right away I drive
    >to a store and do cash and carry... but that's very rare.


    Well, good for you.
    I am impatient, and I like knowing for sure that my stuff will arrive
    in a certain time frame. When I have ordered without that guarentee,
    it usually takes a week or so to get to my address. You must be
    lucky to get stuff so fast. Not everyone is that lucky with regular
    shipping.

    Christine
    --
    http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com

  9. #9
    Dan Abel Guest

    Default Re: OT: Amazon Prime Shipping Trial

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Sqwertz <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 16:03:25 -0700, Dan Abel wrote:
    >
    > > In article <6orivyvp6zbp$.[email protected]>,
    > > Sqwertz <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >> On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 12:54:36 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2 wrote:
    > >>

    > >
    > >>> If so, you're killing your credit
    > >>> rating....any inquiry by a new issuer will cost points.
    > >>
    > >> That sounds like fiction to me.

    > >
    > > To many credit inquiries looks bad on your credit report.

    >
    > But how is that specific to an Amazon credit card?


    It's not:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Credit_...ited_States%29

    "10%: Recent searches for credit--Credit inquiries, which occur when
    consumers are seeking new credit, can hurt scores. Individuals shopping
    for a mortgage or auto loan over a short period will likely not
    experience a decrease in their scores as a result of these types of
    inquiries, however.[9] While all credit inquiries are recorded and
    displayed on credit reports for a period of time, credit inquiries that
    were made by the owner (self-check), by an employer (for employee
    verification) or by companies initiating pre-screened offers of credit
    or insurance do not have any impact on a credit score."

    --
    Dan Abel
    Petaluma, California USA
    [email protected]

  10. #10
    Jim Elbrecht Guest

    Default Re: OT: Amazon Prime Shipping Trial

    Nancy2 <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Sep 22, 1:00*pm, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:
    >> Apparently you can sign up for the trial more than once. *This gives
    >> you free 2-day shipping on your orders for a month for $0. *I last
    >> used it April 22nd, 2010 (and canceled it May 20th, 2010 otherwise


    -snip-
    >
    >Isn't Amazon Prime a credit card? If so, you're killing your credit
    >rating....any inquiry by a new issuer will cost points.


    Prime isn't a CC-- but to the point of new cards costing points. . .
    They might cost a couple points,initially, but they can benefit you in
    the long run. The days of 'don't have more than one CC' are over, if
    you have some self control.

    Now the more important number is what percentage of available credit
    you actually use. I probably have a dozen credit cards- maybe
    2. But my CC debt is paid off every month. I keep the cards for
    convenience and their rewards.

    My credit rating is excellent. We always qualify for the lowest rates
    on car & mortgage loans.

    Amazon *does* have branded CC's. I have 2 different accounts that I
    opened when Amazon offered to give me $100 for opening an account.
    Both give me a 2% reward on Amazon and 1% everyplace else. Not much--
    but it beats cash.

    Jim

  11. #11
    Bryan Guest

    Default Re: OT: Amazon Prime Shipping Trial

    On Thursday, September 22, 2011 3:45:39 PM UTC-5, sf wrote:
    > On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 13:25:12 -0700, Christine Dabney
    > <arti...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
    >
    > > On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 12:54:36 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
    > > <ellor...@gmail.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > >Isn't Amazon Prime a credit card? If so, you're killing your credit
    > > >rating....any inquiry by a new issuer will cost points.
    > > >
    > > >N.

    > >
    > > No, it isn't a credit card. It is a service that allows one to get
    > > free 2 day shipping, or next day shipping for $3.99. It is fee based,
    > > as Steve said..about $79 for a year. You pay once a year.
    > > It pays for itself pretty quickly if you are really impatient like me,
    > > and who orders frequently from Amazon. I think it is worth it.

    >
    > That's how I got my silicone crumpet rings. I asked my son to order
    > them for me because he has that free shipping from Amazon thing.
    >

    Speaking of crumpets, Johm Kuthe came over today and I made dinner. We'd been talking about grilling brats, and that's what he was expecting, but my wife and I had already planned on tacos. We had 3 avocados that were perfectly ripe. We picked a bunch of cherry tomatoes from the community garden plot for pico de gallo. The meal was perfect except I thought I over lemoned the guac. My wife and John liked it that way. I made seasoned ground beef, beans, freshly shredded extra sharp cheddar, slivered red romaine.

    Sheldon's windows will get steamed up when he reads this because in his fantasy world, he imagines John and I having sex. Oh and as far as the crumpets--and there, there is a tangential gay connection. John has never heard of David Sedaris, and I played Santaland Diaries for him off of YouTube. He didn't find us as funny as I do.

    --Bryan

  12. #12
    Bob Terwilliger Guest

    Default Re: OT: Amazon Prime Shipping Trial

    sf wrote:

    >>> Isn't Amazon Prime a credit card? If so, you're killing your credit
    >>> rating....any inquiry by a new issuer will cost points.

    >>
    >> No, it isn't a credit card. It is a service that allows one to get
    >> free 2 day shipping, or next day shipping for $3.99. It is fee based,
    >> as Steve said..about $79 for a year. You pay once a year.
    >> It pays for itself pretty quickly if you are really impatient like me,
    >> and who orders frequently from Amazon. I think it is worth it.

    >
    > That's how I got my silicone crumpet rings. I asked my son to order
    > them for me because he has that free shipping from Amazon thing.


    You have SILICONE CRUMPET RINGS?

    Is there a twelve-step program for kitchen-gadget hoarders?

    Bob



  13. #13
    Bob Terwilliger Guest

    Default Re: OT: Amazon Prime Shipping Trial

    Christine wrote:

    >> I order from Amazon often and use the free shipping mode and still
    >> almost always receive my orders within 2-3 days. And I can't remember
    >> any item that it really mattered how long it took to receive... in
    >> fact most times I forget all about it and all of a sudden there's a
    >> carton at my side door that I've no idea what it is until I open it. I
    >> can't remember anything I've ordered mail order that I had to have
    >> right away, even prescription drug refills arrive long before I use up
    >> all the last order. When its an item I really need right away I drive
    >> to a store and do cash and carry... but that's very rare.

    >
    > Well, good for you.
    > I am impatient, and I like knowing for sure that my stuff will arrive
    > in a certain time frame. When I have ordered without that guarentee,
    > it usually takes a week or so to get to my address. You must be
    > lucky to get stuff so fast. Not everyone is that lucky with regular
    > shipping.


    Your order *will* arrive in a certain timeframe, even with the "Super Saver"
    shipping. It's just a LONGER timeframe.

    Think back before the days of Amazon, when you had to wait FOUR TO SIX WEEKS
    for delivery. It wasn't all that long ago. Now you're complaining about
    having to wait ONE week? Did Amazon turn you into a princess?

    Bob



  14. #14
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: OT: Amazon Prime Shipping Trial

    On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 17:01:50 -0700, Christine Dabney
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 19:38:22 -0400, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
    >
    >>I order from Amazon often and use the free shipping mode and still
    >>almost always receive my orders within 2-3 days. And I can't remember
    >>any item that it really mattered how long it took to receive... in
    >>fact most times I forget all about it and all of a sudden there's a
    >>carton at my side door that I've no idea what it is until I open it. I
    >>can't remember anything I've ordered mail order that I had to have
    >>right away, even prescription drug refills arrive long before I use up
    >>all the last order. When its an item I really need right away I drive
    >>to a store and do cash and carry... but that's very rare.

    >
    >Well, good for you.
    >I am impatient, and I like knowing for sure that my stuff will arrive
    >in a certain time frame. When I have ordered without that guarentee,
    >it usually takes a week or so to get to my address. You must be
    >lucky to get stuff so fast. Not everyone is that lucky with regular
    >shipping.


    Well poor you. You must be very unlucky that carriers purposely delay
    your stuff. I can't imagine what anyone buys mail order that they
    need yesterday... do you buy Metamusil from Amazon? LOL

  15. #15
    sf Guest

    Default Re: OT: Amazon Prime Shipping Trial

    On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 18:46:29 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
    <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote:

    > You have SILICONE CRUMPET RINGS?


    Well, that's the British translation. What it says in American is
    Pancake and Egg Rings. http://oi52.tinypic.com/314dtv8.jpg
    >
    > Is there a twelve-step program for kitchen-gadget hoarders?


    It was a momentary slip up, your honor. I'll try not to do it again.

    --
    I love cooking with wine.
    Sometimes I even put it in the food.

  16. #16
    Christine Dabney Guest

    Default Re: OT: Amazon Prime Shipping Trial

    On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 18:47:39 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
    <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote:

    >Think back before the days of Amazon, when you had to wait FOUR TO SIX WEEKS
    >for delivery. It wasn't all that long ago. Now you're complaining about
    >having to wait ONE week? Did Amazon turn you into a princess?


    Yes.

    Christine
    --
    http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com

  17. #17
    Christine Dabney Guest

    Default Re: OT: Amazon Prime Shipping Trial

    On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 18:47:39 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
    <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote:

    >Think back before the days of Amazon, when you had to wait FOUR TO SIX WEEKS
    >for delivery. It wasn't all that long ago. Now you're complaining about
    >having to wait ONE week? Did Amazon turn you into a princess?
    >
    >Bob


    If you read what I said before, I did say I was very impatient. And
    yes, I am obnoxious when I have to wait for something. I want it NOW,
    and like yesterday. I never had to wait 4-6 weeks, cause I have
    expedited shipping. Cause of my impatience. And I am not apologizing
    for it. I am impatient...deal with it.

    Christine
    --
    http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com

  18. #18
    Cheryl Guest

    Default Re: OT: Amazon Prime Shipping Trial

    On 9/22/2011 3:54 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
    > On Sep 22, 1:00 pm, Sqwertz<swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:
    >> Apparently you can sign up for the trial more than once. This gives
    >> you free 2-day shipping on your orders for a month for $0. I last
    >> used it April 22nd, 2010 (and canceled it May 20th, 2010 otherwise
    >> they bill you $80). And I was able to sign up again for a new free
    >> trial today. Good for another 30 days of free 2-day shipping.
    >> Nothing in the fine print said I couldn't sign up for the free trial
    >> twice (I guess they're hoping I forgot to cancel).
    >>
    >> ObFood: Cheez Waffies and Brisket-Green Chile sandwich for lunch
    >> today. I brought back 10 bags of Wise Cheez Waffies from Pittsburgh.
    >> I'll probably order some more from Amazon while I still have free
    >> 2-day shipping.
    >>
    >> http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/9043/...etandhatch.jpg
    >>
    >> -sw

    >
    > Isn't Amazon Prime a credit card? If so, you're killing your credit
    > rating....any inquiry by a new issuer will cost points.
    >
    > N.


    Not necessarily. I signed up for the amazon credit card for prime
    membership and when I just refinanced my mortgage I just had to write a
    note about why they did a credit check. It didn't do anything to my
    credit rating.


  19. #19
    Cheryl Guest

    Default Re: OT: Amazon Prime Shipping Trial

    On 9/22/2011 9:47 PM, Bob Terwilliger wrote:
    > Think back before the days of Amazon, when you had to wait FOUR TO SIX WEEKS
    > for delivery. It wasn't all that long ago. Now you're complaining about
    > having to wait ONE week? Did Amazon turn you into a princess?


    I was just recently remembering the old mail order system and having to
    wait that long. I do get antsy now having to wait a week.


  20. #20
    Bob Terwilliger Guest

    Default Re: OT: Amazon Prime Shipping Trial

    Christine wrote:

    > If you read what I said before, I did say I was very impatient. And
    > yes, I am obnoxious when I have to wait for something. I want it NOW,
    > and like yesterday. I never had to wait 4-6 weeks, cause I have
    > expedited shipping. Cause of my impatience. And I am not apologizing
    > for it. I am impatient...deal with it.


    Well, it's your money. But consider how many more cookbooks you could have
    if you'd never expedited their shipping.

    Bob



Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32