Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Re: grits

  1. #1
    sf Guest

    Default Re: grits


  2. #2
    Janet Guest

    Default Re: grits

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
    says...
    >
    > On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 07:33:19 -0500, [email protected] (Tony O) wrote:
    >
    > > what are grits i aim not from the south is grits for poor people
    > >

    >
    > Eat corn grits and call it polenta if you want to feel superior.


    Don't tell him, but poor-people food is often so tasty, very rich
    people buy it in restaurants.. or tell their chef to make it.

    Janet UK

  3. #3
    Gary Guest

    Default Re: grits

    Janet wrote:
    >
    > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
    > says...
    > >
    > > On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 07:33:19 -0500, [email protected] (Tony O) wrote:
    > >
    > > > what are grits i aim not from the south is grits for poor people
    > > >

    > >
    > > Eat corn grits and call it polenta if you want to feel superior.

    >
    > Don't tell him, but poor-people food is often so tasty, very rich
    > people buy it in restaurants.. or tell their chef to make it.
    >
    > Janet UK


    +1

  4. #4
    l not -l Guest

    Default Re: grits


    On 26-Jan-2013, sf <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 07:33:19 -0500, [email protected] (Tony O) wrote:
    >
    > > what are grits i aim not from the south is grits for poor people
    > >

    >
    > Eat corn grits and call it polenta if you want to feel superior.

    Don't forget to double the price if you call it polenta.
    --

    Change Cujo to Juno in email address.

  5. #5
    jmcquown Guest

    Default Re: grits

    On 1/26/2013 9:38 AM, l not -l wrote:
    > On 26-Jan-2013, sf <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 07:33:19 -0500, [email protected] (Tony O) wrote:
    >>
    >>> what are grits i aim not from the south is grits for poor people
    >>>

    >>
    >> Eat corn grits and call it polenta if you want to feel superior.

    > Don't forget to double the price if you call it polenta.
    >

    All grits are made from corn. Please let's not start *that* debate again!

    Jill

  6. #6
    Ed Pawlowski Guest

    Default Re: grits

    On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 14:38:29 GMT, "l not -l" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >
    >On 26-Jan-2013, sf <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 07:33:19 -0500, [email protected] (Tony O) wrote:
    >>
    >> > what are grits i aim not from the south is grits for poor people
    >> >

    >>
    >> Eat corn grits and call it polenta if you want to feel superior.

    >Don't forget to double the price if you call it polenta.


    Used to be polenta was much different.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polenta

    As it is known today, polenta derives from earlier forms of grain mush
    (known as puls or pulmentum in Latin or more commonly as gruel or
    porridge), commonly eaten since Roman times. Before the introduction
    of corn from the New World in the 16th century, polenta was made with
    such starchy ingredients as farro, chestnut flour, millet, spelt, or
    chickpeas.[3]

  7. #7
    sf Guest

    Default Re: grits

    On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 12:08:43 -0500, jmcquown <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > On 1/26/2013 9:38 AM, l not -l wrote:
    > > On 26-Jan-2013, sf <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >> On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 07:33:19 -0500, [email protected] (Tony O) wrote:
    > >>
    > >>> what are grits i aim not from the south is grits for poor people
    > >>>
    > >>
    > >> Eat corn grits and call it polenta if you want to feel superior.

    > > Don't forget to double the price if you call it polenta.
    > >

    > All grits are made from corn. Please let's not start *that* debate again!
    >

    I don't eat grits. I eat polenta... in fact I made some last night.
    In any case, I was covering my derriere and being specific. Missed
    (or don't remember) the controversy you're referring to partially
    because I hate hominy - so no there's reason to read about it and I
    probably killed the thread.

    --
    Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

  8. #8
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: grits

    sf <[email protected]> wrote:

    >
    >I don't eat grits. I eat polenta.
    >I was covering my derriere and being specific.


    Specifically, to cover your derriere this loaded with polenta:
    http://chriswcoakley.files.wordpress...rete-truck.jpg

  9. #9
    jmcquown Guest

    Default Re: grits

    On 1/26/2013 12:37 PM, sf wrote:
    > On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 12:08:43 -0500, jmcquown <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On 1/26/2013 9:38 AM, l not -l wrote:
    >>> On 26-Jan-2013, sf <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 07:33:19 -0500, [email protected] (Tony O) wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> what are grits i aim not from the south is grits for poor people
    >>>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> Eat corn grits and call it polenta if you want to feel superior.
    >>> Don't forget to double the price if you call it polenta.
    >>>

    >> All grits are made from corn. Please let's not start *that* debate again!
    >>

    > I don't eat grits. I eat polenta... in fact I made some last night.
    > In any case, I was covering my derriere and being specific. Missed
    > (or don't remember) the controversy you're referring to partially
    > because I hate hominy - so no there's reason to read about it and I
    > probably killed the thread.
    >

    I wasn't even thinking about the most recent hominy thread. That grits
    discussion happened years ago.

    Polenta is very much like finely ground grits. When you get right down
    to it it's basically cornmeal mush. Masa harina. And there are many
    nice things you can do with it.

    The grits I make are slightly more coursely ground and aren't white grits.

    Jill

  10. #10
    sf Guest

    Default Re: grits

    On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 19:35:49 -0500, jmcquown <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > On 1/26/2013 12:37 PM, sf wrote:
    > > On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 12:08:43 -0500, jmcquown <[email protected]>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >

    > I wasn't even thinking about the most recent hominy thread. That grits
    > discussion happened years ago.
    >
    > Polenta is very much like finely ground grits. When you get right down
    > to it it's basically cornmeal mush. Masa harina. And there are many
    > nice things you can do with it.


    I thought we've established that it's *not* masa harina, but yes - you
    can call it mush and there are lots of things you can do with it. I
    ate it as part of my breakfast this morning.
    >
    > The grits I make are slightly more coursely ground and aren't white grits.
    >

    Polenta is supposed to be medium grind cornmeal, but you couldn't
    prove it by me because it looks fine to me... and it's yellow.


    --
    Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32