Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Re: FOOD RECALL: Lobster liver contaminated with potentially fatallevels of toxins

  1. #1
    James Guest

    Default Re: FOOD RECALL: Lobster liver contaminated with potentially fatallevels of toxins

    On Jul 29, 10:27*am, balanc...@yahoo.com wrote:
    > http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5j...qObnQD9273AL84
    >
    > FDA warns against eating lobster liver
    >
    > 17 hours ago
    >
    > WASHINGTON (AP) The government warned consumers Monday not to eat
    > the soft, green substance found in the body cavity of lobsters, saying
    > it may be contaminated with a toxin.
    >
    > It's still OK to eat the white lobster meat found in the claws and
    > tails of the undersea delicacy, but the green stuff that most diners
    > already avoid should definitely be discarded this year, said the Food
    > and Drug Administration. Known also as tomalley, the substance acts as
    > the liver and pancreas of the lobster.
    >
    > A red tide or algae bloom ranging from Northern New England to
    > Canada this year has contaminated fishing grounds with high levels of
    > toxins that cause paralytic shellfish poisoning. The federal warning
    > follows similar advisories from public health authorities in Maine,
    > Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Canada.
    >
    > The warning applies to American lobster, also known as Maine lobster,
    > which is harvested in Atlantic waters from Canada to South Carolina.
    >
    > Cooking does not eliminate the toxins, but studies have shown that
    > even when high levels are present in the tomalley, lobster meat is
    > usually not affected, the FDA said.
    >
    > Symptoms of paralytic shell fish poisoning usually appear within two
    > hours of exposure. They include tingling and numbness of the mouth,
    > face or neck, muscle weakness, headache and nausea. Anyone who suffers
    > such symptoms should see a doctor, the FDA said. In rare cases, people
    > who consume a large amount of toxin can suffer respiratory failure and
    > death.


    Eating lobster without eating the tomalley is like kissing your sister.

  2. #2
    Al Bundy Guest

    Default Re: FOOD RECALL: Lobster liver contaminated with potentially fatallevels of toxins

    On Jul 29, 1:09 pm, James <j0069b...@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > On Jul 29, 10:27 am, balanc...@yahoo.com wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > >http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5j...qObnQD9273AL84

    >
    > > FDA warns against eating lobster liver

    >
    > > 17 hours ago

    >
    > > WASHINGTON (AP) The government warned consumers Monday not to eat
    > > the soft, green substance found in the body cavity of lobsters, saying
    > > it may be contaminated with a toxin.

    >
    > > It's still OK to eat the white lobster meat found in the claws and
    > > tails of the undersea delicacy, but the green stuff that most diners
    > > already avoid should definitely be discarded this year, said the Food
    > > and Drug Administration. Known also as tomalley, the substance acts as
    > > the liver and pancreas of the lobster.

    >
    > > A red tide or algae bloom ranging from Northern New England to
    > > Canada this year has contaminated fishing grounds with high levels of
    > > toxins that cause paralytic shellfish poisoning. The federal warning
    > > follows similar advisories from public health authorities in Maine,
    > > Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Canada.

    >
    > > The warning applies to American lobster, also known as Maine lobster,
    > > which is harvested in Atlantic waters from Canada to South Carolina.

    >
    > > Cooking does not eliminate the toxins, but studies have shown that
    > > even when high levels are present in the tomalley, lobster meat is
    > > usually not affected, the FDA said.

    >
    > > Symptoms of paralytic shell fish poisoning usually appear within two
    > > hours of exposure. They include tingling and numbness of the mouth,
    > > face or neck, muscle weakness, headache and nausea. Anyone who suffers
    > > such symptoms should see a doctor, the FDA said. In rare cases, people
    > > who consume a large amount of toxin can suffer respiratory failure and
    > > death.

    >
    > Eating lobster without eating the tomalley is like kissing your sister.


    So what you are saying is you're going to get a disease either way?

  3. #3
    [email protected] Guest

    Default Re: FOOD RECALL: Lobster liver contaminated with potentially fatallevels of toxins

    just don't eat the tomalley. Eating the lobster meat is fine.

    <a href=http://www.lobsterhelp.com>lobster recipes</a>

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32