Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 84

Thread: Question : Chili Verde, Green Chile with Pork

  1. #1
    Tommy Joe Guest

    Default Question : Chili Verde, Green Chile with Pork


    When I lived in L.A. I ate green chile pork burritos at many places,
    many times getting just the meat and sauce on a plate with rice and
    beans or veggies. I loved that stuff. There were hundreds of small
    places all over, and the dumpier they looked, the better the food
    (usually).

    I know the one down the street from where I lived simmered their
    pork in big pots during the night. I've seen them. I think they
    simmered it, then added it to the green chile sauce.

    My questions are as follows:

    Does anyone know a simple version of making green chile pork - you
    know, not too many ingredients?

    And number two, is there such a thing as a decent jarred green
    chile sauce, and if so, what would you recommend. I'd rather make it
    myself - stovetop is all I use - but if too many ingredients are
    needed for the sauce, or if it's too demanding in some way, then I'd
    like to know if there's a decent jarred version of the stuff anywhere.

    Thanks,

    TJ

  2. #2
    Bull Guest

    Default Re: Question : Chili Verde, Green Chile with Pork

    In article
    <[email protected]>,
    Tommy Joe <[email protected]> wrote:

    > When I lived in L.A. I ate green chile pork burritos at many places,
    > many times getting just the meat and sauce on a plate with rice and
    > beans or veggies. I loved that stuff. There were hundreds of small
    > places all over, and the dumpier they looked, the better the food
    > (usually).
    >
    > I know the one down the street from where I lived simmered their
    > pork in big pots during the night. I've seen them. I think they
    > simmered it, then added it to the green chile sauce.
    >
    > My questions are as follows:
    >
    > Does anyone know a simple version of making green chile pork - you
    > know, not too many ingredients?
    >
    > And number two, is there such a thing as a decent jarred green
    > chile sauce, and if so, what would you recommend. I'd rather make it
    > myself - stovetop is all I use - but if too many ingredients are
    > needed for the sauce, or if it's too demanding in some way, then I'd
    > like to know if there's a decent jarred version of the stuff anywhere.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > TJ


    Here's an easy one. Leave out what ever you don't have. Don't leave
    out the pork or peppers.


    http://www.happysimpleliving.com/201...reen-chile-wit
    h-this-easy-recipe/


    Herdez is a decent canned or jarred product.

    BULL

  3. #3
    ImStillMags Guest

    Default Re: Question : Chili Verde, Green Chile with Pork

    On Mar 18, 9:59*pm, Tommy Joe <j...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
    > * When I lived in L.A. I ate green chile pork burritos at many places,
    > many times getting just the meat and sauce on a plate with rice and
    > beans or veggies. *I loved that stuff. *There were hundreds of small
    > places all over, and the dumpier they looked, the better the food
    > (usually).
    >
    > * *I know the one down the street from where I lived simmered their
    > pork in big pots during the night. *I've seen them. *I think they
    > simmered it, then added it to the green chile sauce.
    >
    > * *My questions are as follows:
    >
    > * *Does anyone know a simple version of making green chile pork - you
    > know, not too many ingredients?
    >
    > * *And number two, is there such a thing as a decent jarred green
    > chile sauce, and if so, what would you recommend. *I'd rather make it
    > myself - stovetop is all I use - but if too many ingredients are
    > needed for the sauce, or if it's too demanding in some way, then I'd
    > like to know if there's a decent jarred version of the stuff anywhere.
    >
    > * * Thanks,
    >
    > * * TJ


    My customers loved this one. We served it often for a lunch
    special. An employee of mine named Mona was a former restaurant owner
    who lost her restaurant due to a landlord selling the building. She
    came to work for me and taught me everything I know about Mexican
    cooking. I have a few of her recipes on the site. This one is
    particularly good and very easy.

    http://hizzoners.com/recipes/meats/258-pork-chili-verde

  4. #4
    Tommy Joe Guest

    Default Re: Question : Chili Verde, Green Chile with Pork

    On Mar 19, 8:45*am, Bull <bul...@gluemail.net> wrote:


    > Here's an easy one. *Leave out what ever you don't have. *Don't leave
    > out the pork or peppers.
    >
    > http://www.happysimpleliving.com/201...wn-green-chile...
    > h-this-easy-recipe/
    >
    > Herdez is a decent canned or jarred product.
    >
    > BULL



    Thanks. In a rush now to get somewhere but will check it out
    later. Thanks for including the name of a jarred product as well. I
    might start with that.

    TJ

  5. #5
    Tommy Joe Guest

    Default Re: Question : Chili Verde, Green Chile with Pork

    On Mar 19, 10:25*am, ImStillMags <sitara8...@gmail.com> wrote:


    > My customers loved this one. * We served it often for a lunch
    > special. *An employee of mine named Mona was a former restaurant owner
    > who lost her restaurant due to *a landlord selling the building. * She
    > came to work for me and taught me everything I know about Mexican
    > cooking. * I have a few of her recipes on the site. * This one is
    > particularly good and very easy.
    >
    > http://hizzoners.com/recipes/meats/258-pork-chili-verde



    Thank you too. What's funny is, I lived in L.A. for 23 years and
    ate at all sorts of mexican and thai restaurants, mostly in Hollywood
    and east Hollywood, and believe it or not one of my favorites spots
    was a Los Burritos on Hollywood Blvd. It's a chain, but they're not
    all the same. I ate at plenty of good places, but that one had the
    green chile pork burritos I loved most. The guy who owned it was an
    arab, maybe that's why. I'm part arab too. Anyway, it seems funny
    that of all the great hole in the wall mexican joints in L.A. I'd pick
    a chain like Los Burritos as my favorite. But it was not my exact
    favorite, just for the green chile pork. Thanks for your help, I will
    check out the link later as I'm about to head out the door.

    Thanks,
    TJ

  6. #6
    Chemo the Clown Guest

    Default Re: Question : Chili Verde, Green Chile with Pork

    On Mar 19, 2:20*pm, Tommy Joe <j...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
    > On Mar 19, 10:25*am, ImStillMags <sitara8...@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > > My customers loved this one. * We served it often for a lunch
    > > special. *An employee of mine named Mona was a former restaurant owner
    > > who lost her restaurant due to *a landlord selling the building. * She
    > > came to work for me and taught me everything I know about Mexican
    > > cooking. * I have a few of her recipes on the site. * This one is
    > > particularly good and very easy.

    >
    > >http://hizzoners.com/recipes/meats/258-pork-chili-verde

    >
    > * *Thank you too. *What's funny is, I lived in L.A. for 23 years and
    > ate at all sorts of mexican and thai restaurants, mostly in Hollywood
    > and east Hollywood, and believe it or not one of my favorites spots
    > was a Los Burritos on Hollywood Blvd. *It's a chain, but they're not
    > all the same. *I ate at plenty of good places, but that one had the
    > green chile pork burritos I loved most. *The guy who owned it was an
    > arab, maybe that's why. *I'm part arab too. *Anyway, it seems funny
    > that of all the great hole in the wall mexican joints in L.A. I'd pick
    > a chain like Los Burritos as my favorite. *But it was not my exact
    > favorite, just for the green chile pork. *Thanks for your help, I will
    > check out the link later as I'm about to head out the door.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > TJ


    An arab burrito...who'd thunk it?

  7. #7
    Zz Yzx Guest

    Default Re: Question : Chili Verde, Green Chile with Pork

    > Does anyone know a simple version of making green chile pork - you
    >know, not too many ingredients?
    >
    > And number two, is there such a thing as a decent jarred green
    >chile sauce, and if so, what would you recommend. I'd rather make it
    >myself - stovetop is all I use - but if too many ingredients are
    >needed for the sauce, or if it's too demanding in some way, then I'd
    >like to know if there's a decent jarred version of the stuff anywhere.


    No tomatillos?

  8. #8
    dsi1 Guest

    Default Re: Question : Chili Verde, Green Chile with Pork

    On 3/18/2012 6:59 PM, Tommy Joe wrote:
    >
    > When I lived in L.A. I ate green chile pork burritos at many places,
    > many times getting just the meat and sauce on a plate with rice and
    > beans or veggies. I loved that stuff. There were hundreds of small
    > places all over, and the dumpier they looked, the better the food
    > (usually).
    >
    > I know the one down the street from where I lived simmered their
    > pork in big pots during the night. I've seen them. I think they
    > simmered it, then added it to the green chile sauce.
    >
    > My questions are as follows:
    >
    > Does anyone know a simple version of making green chile pork - you
    > know, not too many ingredients?
    >
    > And number two, is there such a thing as a decent jarred green
    > chile sauce, and if so, what would you recommend. I'd rather make it
    > myself - stovetop is all I use - but if too many ingredients are
    > needed for the sauce, or if it's too demanding in some way, then I'd
    > like to know if there's a decent jarred version of the stuff anywhere.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > TJ


    I would just put a pork butt in a covered pan in a 250 to 300 degree
    oven and leave it there for 4 to 5 or more hours. Heavily salt and
    pepper your butt and add some green chiles and a cup or so of chicken
    stock. Maybe some cumin if you like. When it's done just mash it into
    the juices and start filling your burritos. You'll think you're in
    Mexico or LA!

  9. #9
    Tommy Joe Guest

    Default Re: Question : Chili Verde, Green Chile with Pork

    On Mar 19, 8:45*am, Bull <bul...@gluemail.net> wrote:



    > Here's an easy one. *Leave out what ever you don't have. *Don't leave
    > out the pork or peppers.
    >
    > http://www.happysimpleliving.com/201...wn-green-chile...
    > h-this-easy-recipe/



    Simple enough for me, I might even forgo the pepper roasting
    process. I'm lazy and have a dirty oven. Sounds good. Copied and
    pasted into my recipe files. Thanks.

    TJ


  10. #10
    Tommy Joe Guest

    Default Re: Question : Chili Verde, Green Chile with Pork

    On Mar 19, 10:25*am, ImStillMags <sitara8...@gmail.com> wrote:


    > My customers loved this one. * We served it often for a lunch
    > special. *An employee of mine named Mona was a former restaurant owner
    > who lost her restaurant due to *a landlord selling the building. * She
    > came to work for me and taught me everything I know about Mexican
    > cooking. * I have a few of her recipes on the site. * This one is
    > particularly good and very easy.
    >
    > http://hizzoners.com/recipes/meats/258-pork-chili-verde



    Thank you too. Checked out the recipe and it looks simple and
    easy and good. I always thought chili verde was made with tomatillos,
    but that shows you what I don't know. I made a roast of pork last
    night in plain water, didn't even brown it first. Not saying it's
    great, but making things all at once is not always necessary even if
    people think it is. I make a lot of foods that way, very assembly-
    line - micro a tater, steam some cabbage, broil some meat, put it in
    the fridge till whenever, then sling it all together with whatever you
    choose. I used a little water and lemon with fresh minced garlic and
    olive oil over those ingredients, plus added a few florets of brocoli
    and even a sliced mushroom to the mix before stirring. Then I put it
    in the microwave for 4 minutes. The already cooked foods did not
    overcook, but the uncooked shrooms and brocoli did, giving the look
    and taste of something whose ingredients had been cooked together.
    Anyway, thanks for the recipe - I like the simpleness of it - and the
    same goes for BULL.

    TJ

  11. #11
    Tommy Joe Guest

    Default Re: Question : Chili Verde, Green Chile with Pork

    On Mar 19, 8:03*pm, Zz Yzx <zzyz...@hotmail.com> wrote:



    > *No tomatillos?




    Now I'm getting confused again, and that's no good. I thought
    chile verde was made with tomatillos. Not that I care, the recipes
    Bull and I'mstillmags looked nice and simple and good tasting. But
    yes, I always thought the same as you about the tomatillos.

    TJ

  12. #12
    Tommy Joe Guest

    Default Re: Question : Chili Verde, Green Chile with Pork

    On Mar 19, 8:13*pm, dsi1 <d...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote:

    > I would just put a pork butt in a covered pan in a 250 to 300 degree
    > oven and leave it there for 4 to 5 or more hours. Heavily salt and
    > pepper your butt and add some green chiles and a cup or so of chicken
    > stock. Maybe some cumin if you like. When it's done just mash it into
    > the juices and start filling your burritos. You'll think you're in
    > Mexico or LA!



    Thanks for your response as well. I have to admit though that I
    have a dirty old oven and I'm not about to clean it, and keeping it on
    for 5 straight hours might burn down the building if I don't die from
    smoke inhalation first. No oven cooking for me. Thanks for your
    response however.

    TJ

  13. #13
    Christine Dabney Guest

    Default Re: Question : Chili Verde, Green Chile with Pork

    On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 21:59:42 -0700 (PDT), Tommy Joe
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I always thought chili verde was made with tomatillos,
    >but that shows you what I don't know.


    In New Mexico, tomatillos are not used in green chile...just the
    chiles. They are the star of the show..

    Christine
    --
    http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com

  14. #14
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Question : Chili Verde, Green Chile with Pork

    On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 07:25:49 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > An employee of mine named Mona was a former restaurant owner
    > who lost her restaurant due to a landlord selling the building. She
    > came to work for me and taught me everything I know about Mexican
    > cooking. I have a few of her recipes on the site. This one is
    > particularly good and very easy.
    >
    > http://hizzoners.com/recipes/meats/258-pork-chili-verde


    Oh, thanks - that *is* easy! I've been on a pork shoulder roll lately
    and this is another way I can cook it. I was thinking about a Cuban
    style roast this week, but maybe I'll switch it to verde.

    --
    Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

  15. #15
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Question : Chili Verde, Green Chile with Pork

    On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 14:13:18 -1000, dsi1
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I would just put a pork butt in a covered pan in a 250 to 300 degree
    > oven and leave it there for 4 to 5 or more hours. Heavily salt and
    > pepper your butt and add some green chiles and a cup or so of chicken
    > stock. Maybe some cumin if you like. When it's done just mash it into
    > the juices and start filling your burritos. You'll think you're in
    > Mexico or LA!


    I cooked it that way last Friday! I salted it, but didn't consider
    the salting "heavy". When the pork came out of the oven, I pulled it
    into chunks and then browned them in a skillet. We ate our carnitas
    with all the fixings in soft corn tortilla "shells".

    --
    Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

  16. #16
    dsi1 Guest

    Default Re: Question : Chili Verde, Green Chile with Pork

    On 3/19/2012 7:03 PM, Tommy Joe wrote:
    > On Mar 19, 8:13 pm, dsi1<d...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >> I would just put a pork butt in a covered pan in a 250 to 300 degree
    >> oven and leave it there for 4 to 5 or more hours. Heavily salt and
    >> pepper your butt and add some green chiles and a cup or so of chicken
    >> stock. Maybe some cumin if you like. When it's done just mash it into
    >> the juices and start filling your burritos. You'll think you're in
    >> Mexico or LA!

    >
    >
    > Thanks for your response as well. I have to admit though that I
    > have a dirty old oven and I'm not about to clean it, and keeping it on
    > for 5 straight hours might burn down the building if I don't die from
    > smoke inhalation first. No oven cooking for me. Thanks for your
    > response however.
    >
    > TJ


    Now that's one dirty oven!

  17. #17
    vinabiz Guest

    Default Re: Question : Chili Verde, Green Chile with Pork


    Zz Yzx;1725209 Wrote:
    > Does anyone know a simple version of making green chile pork - you-
    > know, not too many ingredients?
    >
    > And number two, is there such a thing as a decent jarred green
    > chile sauce, and if so, what would you recommend. I'd rather make it
    > myself - stovetop is all I use - but if too many ingredients are
    > needed for the sauce, or if it's too demanding in some way, then I'd
    > like to know if there's a decent jarred version of the stuff anywhere.-
    >
    > No tomatillos?


    thank friends, i am very interested in this topic. Delicious recipes.




    --
    vinabiz

  18. #18
    dsi1 Guest

    Default Re: Question : Chili Verde, Green Chile with Pork

    On 3/19/2012 8:45 PM, sf wrote:
    > On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 14:13:18 -1000, dsi1
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> I would just put a pork butt in a covered pan in a 250 to 300 degree
    >> oven and leave it there for 4 to 5 or more hours. Heavily salt and
    >> pepper your butt and add some green chiles and a cup or so of chicken
    >> stock. Maybe some cumin if you like. When it's done just mash it into
    >> the juices and start filling your burritos. You'll think you're in
    >> Mexico or LA!

    >
    > I cooked it that way last Friday! I salted it, but didn't consider
    > the salting "heavy". When the pork came out of the oven, I pulled it
    > into chunks and then browned them in a skillet. We ate our carnitas
    > with all the fixings in soft corn tortilla "shells".
    >


    Cooking a pork butt this way is too easy. You spend about 10 minutes on
    the thing and set it in the oven - no need to preheat the oven. You
    don't need to use a dutch oven - a regular covered pan works fine. You
    can also use plain water or apple juice instead of chicken stock. I like
    the idea of frying the cooked pork.

  19. #19
    Janet Bostwick Guest

    Default Re: Question : Chili Verde, Green Chile with Pork

    On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 21:59:33 -0700 (PDT), Tommy Joe
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >
    > When I lived in L.A. I ate green chile pork burritos at many places,
    >many times getting just the meat and sauce on a plate with rice and
    >beans or veggies. I loved that stuff. There were hundreds of small
    >places all over, and the dumpier they looked, the better the food
    >(usually).
    >
    > I know the one down the street from where I lived simmered their
    >pork in big pots during the night. I've seen them. I think they
    >simmered it, then added it to the green chile sauce.
    >
    > My questions are as follows:
    >
    > Does anyone know a simple version of making green chile pork - you
    >know, not too many ingredients?
    >
    > And number two, is there such a thing as a decent jarred green
    >chile sauce, and if so, what would you recommend. I'd rather make it
    >myself - stovetop is all I use - but if too many ingredients are
    >needed for the sauce, or if it's too demanding in some way, then I'd
    >like to know if there's a decent jarred version of the stuff anywhere.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > TJ


    You need to have tomatillos in the recipe in order to get anywhere
    close to the taste that you remember. Without them it is just pork
    chili. I've never used them so I can't vouch for them, but you can
    buy canned tomatillos.
    Janet US

  20. #20
    Janet Bostwick Guest

    Default Re: Question : Chili Verde, Green Chile with Pork

    On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 23:50:26 -0600, Christine Dabney
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 21:59:42 -0700 (PDT), Tommy Joe
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>I always thought chili verde was made with tomatillos,
    >>but that shows you what I don't know.

    >
    >In New Mexico, tomatillos are not used in green chile...just the
    >chiles. They are the star of the show..
    >
    >Christine


    I didn't know that, I thought tomatillos were necessary. thanks
    Janet US

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32