Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

Thread: The price you sometimes have to pay!

  1. #1
    Andy Guest

    Default The price you sometimes have to pay!

    The price you sometimes have to pay!

    $1.69/lb seedless green grapes. Was I g(raped)?

    $1.00/ea. Hass avocados.

    I know I overpaid for the avos!!!

    You?

    Andy

  2. #2
    Ed Pawlowski Guest

    Default Re: The price you sometimes have to pay!


    "Andy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:Xns9DF[email protected]..
    > The price you sometimes have to pay!
    >
    > $1.69/lb seedless green grapes. Was I g(raped)?
    >
    > $1.00/ea. Hass avocados.
    >
    > I know I overpaid for the avos!!!
    >
    > You?
    >
    > Andy


    Average price on grapes is about what you paid. On sale, they run 99 Once
    a year (harvest time) they have a big grape sale with maybe 6 or 8 varieties
    to choose from. I like the black grapes

    Sounds about normal for the avocado here too.


  3. #3
    Andy Guest

    Default Re: The price you sometimes have to pay!

    "Ed Pawlowski" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >
    > "Andy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]..
    >> The price you sometimes have to pay!
    >>
    >> $1.69/lb seedless green grapes. Was I g(raped)?
    >>
    >> $1.00/ea. Hass avocados.
    >>
    >> I know I overpaid for the avos!!!
    >>
    >> You?
    >>
    >> Andy

    >
    > Average price on grapes is about what you paid. On sale, they run 99
    > Once a year (harvest time) they have a big grape sale with maybe 6 or
    > 8 varieties to choose from. I like the black grapes
    >
    > Sounds about normal for the avocado here too.



    Ed,

    I forgot I was paying for grapes by the pound. I never checked, assuming
    it was by the "bunch."

    We had an avocado tree in our back yard. We'd lasso a branch and shake
    them down, risking life and limb in the process! Sis was the smart
    one to stand out of range and then collect them up and dance them into
    the house.

    Best,

    Andy

  4. #4
    Stu Guest

    Default Re: The price you sometimes have to pay!

    On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 08:02:15 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >
    >"Andy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]..
    >> The price you sometimes have to pay!
    >>
    >> $1.69/lb seedless green grapes. Was I g(raped)?
    >>
    >> $1.00/ea. Hass avocados.
    >>
    >> I know I overpaid for the avos!!!
    >>
    >> You?
    >>
    >> Andy


    >
    >Sounds about normal for the avocado here too.


    Bought a box of 12 at costco yesterday for $4.99, that's $0.42 each

  5. #5
    Andy Guest

    Default Re: The price you sometimes have to pay!

    Stu <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Bought a box of 12 at costco yesterday for $4.99, that's $0.42 each



    Stu,

    WOW!

    Hass avos???

    What a bargain!!!

    I predict plenty of guacamole in your near future! They're all gonna
    ripen at the same time. That's an awful lot of avos.

    I await my invitation.

    Best,

    Andy

  6. #6
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: The price you sometimes have to pay!

    On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 05:54:38 -0500, Andy <[email protected]> wrote:

    >The price you sometimes have to pay!
    >
    >$1.69/lb seedless green grapes. Was I g(raped)?


    Grapes are seasonal, that's about the price for this time of year
    because those are likely imports from Chile/Peru or there abouts.

    >$1.00/ea. Hass avocados.


    Avocados are seasonal too, in that different US grown varieties are
    available all year but if you want Hass off its season you will pay
    more for imports.

    >I know I overpaid for the avos!!!
    >
    >You?


    Canned goods, ridiculous prices.. friggin' canned soup is priced
    beyond belief. When a small can of SpaghettiOs costs more than $2
    something is wrong. And tiny cans of v ienna sausage costs like
    fillet mignon.

    The price of cat litter is sinful, up to 53/lb now... I go through
    about 50 pounds a week... that's more than $25/week.... thats more
    than my TP bill for the entire year. And don't get me started on the
    price of cat food... it's cheaper to feed cats porterhouse steak.

    With people food my biggest bitch is the felonious price for cold
    cuts... I can buy fresh ham for $1.19/lb but decent deli ham is
    running over $7/lb... even crappy canned ham is priced like it's
    imported from Fort Knox. At least SPAM is still reasonably priced...
    on par with tunafish.

    Everything is expensive... picked up two heads of garlic last week and
    put them right back when I noticed the sign said $4.99/lb... I'll make
    do with granulated. Stupid onions are $2.49/2lb bag, and they smelled
    woofy... the price of all produce is outrageous... pretty soon the
    people earning less than $250,000 won't be able to feed their
    families... OBOMINOMICS!

    The price of PCs and all other electroncs is falling like a rock,
    thank the Chinese.



  7. #7
    Kalmia Guest

    Default Re: The price you sometimes have to pay!

    On Sep 26, 10:51*am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

    > The price of cat litter is sinful, up to 53/lb now... I go through
    > about 50 pounds a week... that's more than $25/week....


    Have you tried that 40 lb. bag from Petsmart or that other pet chain?

    It comes in a clear plastic bag. Def. no frills.

  8. #8
    Wayne Boatwright Guest

    Default Re: The price you sometimes have to pay!

    On Sun 26 Sep 2010 05:02:15a, Ed Pawlowski told us...

    > Average price on grapes is about what you paid. On sale, they run
    > 99 Once a year (harvest time) they have a big grape sale with
    > maybe 6 or 8 varieties to choose from. I like the black grapes


    I like just about any variety of grape, but I especially like the black
    grapes, too. Apart from eating out of hand or in fruit salads, I
    sometimes bake a pie or kuchen with them.

    > Sounds about normal for the avocado here too.


    During the long hot season here in AZ, avocados generally run 50 to 69
    cents each. Otherwise, they are usually 99 cents.

    --

    ~~ If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it. ~~

    ~~ A mind is a terrible thing to lose. ~~

    ************************************************** ********

    Wayne Boatwright


  9. #9
    Andy Guest

    Default Re: The price you sometimes have to pay!

    Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

    >>$1.69/lb seedless green grapes. Was I g(raped)?

    >
    > Grapes are seasonal, that's about the price for this time of year
    > because those are likely imports from Chile/Peru or there abouts.



    The grapes were grown and packaged in Delano, California.

    The Hass avos are a product of Mexico. I don't know why we don't get
    California avos here in PA. It's probably closer, as the crow flies.

    Andy

  10. #10
    Kalmia Guest

    Default Re: The price you sometimes have to pay!

    picked up two heads of garlic last week and
    > put them right back when I noticed the sign said $4.99/lb...



    I just paid 3.29/lb. this morning. I should be leaping for joy, I
    guess.

  11. #11
    Paul M. Cook Guest

    Default Re: The price you sometimes have to pay!


    "Andy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]..
    > The price you sometimes have to pay!
    >
    > $1.69/lb seedless green grapes. Was I g(raped)?


    Depends, was there a bunch of them?

    > $1.00/ea. Hass avocados.


    That's cheap in SoCal and we grow them here.

    > I know I overpaid for the avos!!!


    They're 1.99 at my local store.

    > You?


    6 bucks for ordinary mozarella cheese when cheddar is 4. Like there's any
    difference?

    Paul



  12. #12
    Andy Guest

    Default Re: The price you sometimes have to pay!

    "Paul M. Cook" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >
    > "Andy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]..
    >> The price you sometimes have to pay!
    >>
    >> $1.69/lb seedless green grapes. Was I g(raped)?

    >
    > Depends, was there a bunch of them?


    Paul,

    There were two tables full. My bunch was 2.8 pounds. But they watered
    them, to slow ripening? I dunno, but it added some weight.


    >> $1.00/ea. Hass avocados.

    >
    > That's cheap in SoCal and we grow them here.
    >
    >> I know I overpaid for the avos!!!

    >
    > They're 1.99 at my local store.


    At the ACME, not the produce market, they've a long standing practice of
    placing the mini avos in the large bin. Rot & rob I call 'em.


    > 6 bucks for ordinary mozzarella cheese when cheddar is 4. Like

    there's
    > any difference?
    >
    > Paul



    That's the biz rate price?

    Yikes!!! I'm not up on cheese pricing too often.

    Best,

    Andy

  13. #13
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: The price you sometimes have to pay!

    On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 08:18:31 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Sep 26, 10:51*am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
    >
    >> The price of cat litter is sinful, up to 53/lb now... I go through
    >> about 50 pounds a week... that's more than $25/week....

    >
    >Have you tried that 40 lb. bag from Petsmart or that other pet chain?
    >
    >It comes in a clear plastic bag. Def. no frills.


    The cheap stuff is dusty and doesn't clump well if at all. Cheap
    dusty litter actually costs more, by causing sick cats and expensive
    vet bills. I buy Arm & Hammer Double Duty... it's not so easy to
    stock up as the stores are always selling out so when I see it I buy
    like a dozen boxes.... but they always have a glut of the cheap stuff.

  14. #14
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: The price you sometimes have to pay!

    On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 12:30:45 -0500, Andy <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
    >
    >>>$1.69/lb seedless green grapes. Was I g(raped)?

    >>
    >> Grapes are seasonal, that's about the price for this time of year
    >> because those are likely imports from Chile/Peru or there abouts.

    >
    >
    >The grapes were grown and packaged in Delano, California.


    There are many varietals of black grapes, price varies.

    >The Hass avos are a product of Mexico. I don't know why we don't get
    >California avos here in PA. It's probably closer, as the crow flies.


    Growing season varies by location... sometimes you'll get Florida
    avocados.

  15. #15
    Andy Guest

    Default Re: The price you sometimes have to pay!

    Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

    > On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 12:30:45 -0500, Andy <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
    >>
    >>>>$1.69/lb seedless green grapes. Was I g(raped)?
    >>>
    >>> Grapes are seasonal, that's about the price for this time of year
    >>> because those are likely imports from Chile/Peru or there abouts.

    >>
    >>
    >>The grapes were grown and packaged in Delano, California.

    >
    > There are many varietals of black grapes, price varies.
    >
    >>The Hass avos are a product of Mexico. I don't know why we don't get
    >>California avos here in PA. It's probably closer, as the crow flies.

    >
    > Growing season varies by location... sometimes you'll get Florida
    > avocados.



    The Florida smooth skinned avos we had were not Hass and extremely
    watery disgusting!!!

    Once and never again!

    Be Florida's guest! Who cares? I don't!

    Andy

  16. #16
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: The price you sometimes have to pay!

    On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 08:29:44 -0500, Andy <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Stu <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Bought a box of 12 at costco yesterday for $4.99, that's $0.42 each

    >
    >
    >Stu,
    >
    >WOW!
    >
    >Hass avos???
    >
    >What a bargain!!!
    >
    >I predict plenty of guacamole in your near future! They're all gonna
    >ripen at the same time. That's an awful lot of avos.
    >
    >I await my invitation.


    I don't buy bulk produce at the big box stores anymore... it's cheap
    for a reason, its quality is lacking... often it's picked too soon and
    will never ripen, it'll rot first. A couple of months ago I bought a
    five pound container of kiwifruit for $5 at Sam's Club, they were like
    stones and about half rotted. Even if good quality I'd have to give
    half away as I'd tire of eating them.... to me kiwifruit are more a
    novelty and I don't want to eat them more often than like one day a
    year because those seeds in my teeth are a bitch... besides, peeling
    kiwifruit is more work than they're worth... by the third one I don't
    want anymore.

    I'm not crazy about avocado either doesn't have much flavor of it's
    own and too caloric with fat to be more than a condiment... avocado is
    the cream cheese of produce, one schmear of avo is enough.

  17. #17
    Andy Guest

    Default Re: The price you sometimes have to pay!

    Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

    > On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 08:29:44 -0500, Andy <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Stu <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Bought a box of 12 at costco yesterday for $4.99, that's $0.42 each

    >>
    >>
    >>Stu,
    >>
    >>WOW!
    >>
    >>Hass avos???
    >>
    >>What a bargain!!!
    >>
    >>I predict plenty of guacamole in your near future! They're all gonna
    >>ripen at the same time. That's an awful lot of avos.
    >>
    >>I await my invitation.

    >
    > I don't buy bulk produce at the big box stores anymore... it's cheap
    > for a reason, its quality is lacking... often it's picked too soon and
    > will never ripen, it'll rot first. A couple of months ago I bought a
    > five pound container of kiwifruit for $5 at Sam's Club, they were like
    > stones and about half rotted. Even if good quality I'd have to give
    > half away as I'd tire of eating them.... to me kiwifruit are more a
    > novelty and I don't want to eat them more often than like one day a
    > year because those seeds in my teeth are a bitch... besides, peeling
    > kiwifruit is more work than they're worth... by the third one I don't
    > want anymore.
    >
    > I'm not crazy about avocado either doesn't have much flavor of it's
    > own and too caloric with fat to be more than a condiment... avocado is
    > the cream cheese of produce, one schmear of avo is enough.



    Bulk purchase is a careful art but a six-pack of kiwi fruit doesn't
    warrant your typical PITA judgment.

    Andy

    --
    Everything you do is a complete waste of time. Fact of Life #1.
    --Andy

  18. #18
    Mr. Bill Guest

    Default Re: The price you sometimes have to pay!

    On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 17:10:43 -0500, Andy <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> Growing season varies by location... sometimes you'll get Florida
    >> avocados.


    >The Florida smooth skinned avos we had were not Hass and extremely
    >watery disgusting!!!


    Those smooth skinned avocados "appear" to be bigger than the Hass but
    the pit is huge also. I prefer the Hass over the Florida
    avocado......but when I lived there, we had our own tree and used them
    all the time since they were "free". Now in Tennessee, I will
    only buy Hass. They are better.

    Join me....a little fun, some ramblings and good recipes

    http://whstoneman.blogspot.com

  19. #19
    atec77 Guest

    Default Re: The price you sometimes have to pay!

    On 27/09/2010 8:18 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
    > On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 08:29:44 -0500, Andy<[email protected]> wrote:
    >


    >
    >
    > I don't buy bulk produce at the big box stores anymore... it's cheap
    > for a reason, its quality is lacking... often it's picked too soon and
    > will never ripen, it'll rot first. A couple of months ago I bought a
    > five pound container of kiwifruit for $5 at Sam's Club, they were like
    > stones and about half rotted. Even if good quality I'd have to give
    > half away as I'd tire of eating them.... to me kiwifruit are more a
    > novelty and I don't want to eat them more often than like one day a
    > year because those seeds in my teeth are a bitch... besides, peeling
    > kiwifruit is more work than they're worth... by the third one I don't
    > want anymore.
    >
    > I'm not crazy about avocado either doesn't have much flavor of it's
    > own and too caloric with fat to be more than a condiment... avocado is
    > the cream cheese of produce, one schmear of avo is enough.


    Eating Kiwi is simple , if ripe a simple roll between the hands softens
    a little then either break or cut through and squeeze out with the fruit
    to the lips of onto a plate >done

    --
    X-No-Archive: Yes


  20. #20
    Ed Pawlowski Guest

    Default Re: The price you sometimes have to pay!


    "Paul M. Cook" <[email protected]> wrote .
    > 6 bucks for ordinary mozarella cheese when cheddar is 4. Like there's any
    > difference?


    I must be missing something. Surely, you can tell the difference.


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32