Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

Thread: Planning for Thanksgiving

  1. #1
    Cheryl Guest

    Default Planning for Thanksgiving

    Mom has made the menu for this year and I'm contributing the following:

    Not your mama's green bean casserole - Alton Brown
    http://tinyurl.com/y9jta44

    Mashed tators - she wanted to do creamy garlic mashed tators but I talked
    her out of it. That's one thing I like plain with turkey. Many of our
    family do, and I don't want this year to start something new.

    Stuffed celery - probably will use jarred pimento spread unless someone has
    a tasty recipe

    Mixed nuts


  2. #2
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Planning for Thanksgiving

    On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 18:23:53 -0500, "Cheryl" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Stuffed celery - probably will use jarred pimento spread unless someone has
    >a tasty recipe


    I know I have a recipe for this somewhere... can't find it though.

    Chop up dried cranberries and nuts, mix with some cream cheese and use
    that to stuff your celery sticks. OMG, it's sooo good!

    --
    I love cooking with wine.
    Sometimes I even put it in the food.

  3. #3
    Cheryl Guest

    Default Re: Planning for Thanksgiving


    "sf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 18:23:53 -0500, "Cheryl" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Stuffed celery - probably will use jarred pimento spread unless someone
    >>has
    >>a tasty recipe

    >
    > I know I have a recipe for this somewhere... can't find it though.
    >
    > Chop up dried cranberries and nuts, mix with some cream cheese and use
    > that to stuff your celery sticks. OMG, it's sooo good!


    That does sound good. Maybe I'll do a few different kinds of spreads.


  4. #4
    Christine Dabney Guest

    Default Re: Planning for Thanksgiving

    On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 19:26:24 -0500, "Cheryl" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >
    >"sf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]. .
    >> On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 18:23:53 -0500, "Cheryl" <[email protected]>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Stuffed celery - probably will use jarred pimento spread unless someone
    >>>has
    >>>a tasty recipe

    >>
    >> I know I have a recipe for this somewhere... can't find it though.
    >>
    >> Chop up dried cranberries and nuts, mix with some cream cheese and use
    >> that to stuff your celery sticks. OMG, it's sooo good!

    >
    >That does sound good. Maybe I'll do a few different kinds of spreads.


    Here is the Pimento Cheese recipe I use. It is from James Villas and
    his mother...


    * Exported from MasterCook *

    Pimiento Cheese

    Recipe By :James Villas

    1/2 pound extra sharp cheddar cheese -- grated
    1 4 ounce jar pimientos -- drained and finely chopped
    1/2 cup green olives (optional) -- finely chopped
    1/2 cup mayonnaise -- homemade or Hellmans
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    black pepper to taste
    Tabasco sauce to taste

    Add pimentos to grated cheese in mixing bowl, and optional olives. Mix
    well. Add the mayonnaise, lemon juice,Worcestershire sauce, pepper
    and Tabasco Sauce. Using a fork, stir and mash the mixture til blended
    and almost a chunky paste. Scrape the mixture into a crock and serve
    with crackers as a canape. Keeps up to a week in the fridge.

    Source:
    "My Mother's Southern Kitchen"


    Christine

    --
    http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com

  5. #5
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Planning for Thanksgiving

    On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 19:26:24 -0500, "Cheryl" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >
    >"sf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]. .
    >> On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 18:23:53 -0500, "Cheryl" <[email protected]>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Stuffed celery - probably will use jarred pimento spread unless someone
    >>>has
    >>>a tasty recipe

    >>
    >> I know I have a recipe for this somewhere... can't find it though.
    >>
    >> Chop up dried cranberries and nuts, mix with some cream cheese and use
    >> that to stuff your celery sticks. OMG, it's sooo good!

    >
    >That does sound good. Maybe I'll do a few different kinds of spreads.


    Here's what I do, but I make it in smaller amounts. I don't really
    measure. It's just eyeballed and approximate. My filling is mainly
    cranberry and nuts. The cream cheese just holds it together.

    1/2 - 3/4 C each of dried cranberries and toasted pecans or walnuts
    ground in your mini processor. Add the grated zest of one small
    orange. Mix thoroughly with one 8 oz package cream cheese. Stuff
    celery stalks and refrigerate until serving. Cut each stalk in thirds
    and arrange on a platter to serve.



    --
    I love cooking with wine.
    Sometimes I even put it in the food.

  6. #6
    Gregory Morrow Guest

    Default Re: Planning for Thanksgiving

    Cheryl wrote:

    > "sf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]..
    >> On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 18:23:53 -0500, "Cheryl" <[email protected]>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Stuffed celery - probably will use jarred pimento spread unless
    >>> someone has
    >>> a tasty recipe

    >>
    >> I know I have a recipe for this somewhere... can't find it though.
    >>
    >> Chop up dried cranberries and nuts, mix with some cream cheese and
    >> use that to stuff your celery sticks. OMG, it's sooo good!

    >
    > That does sound good. Maybe I'll do a few different kinds of spreads.


    And don't forget to *peel* that celery, Cheryl...

    :-)

    --
    Best
    Greg



  7. #7
    Omelet Guest

    Default Re: Planning for Thanksgiving

    In article <eUlLm.9835$[email protected]>,
    "Cheryl" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Mom has made the menu for this year and I'm contributing the following:
    >
    > Not your mama's green bean casserole - Alton Brown
    > http://tinyurl.com/y9jta44
    >
    > Mashed tators - she wanted to do creamy garlic mashed tators but I talked
    > her out of it. That's one thing I like plain with turkey. Many of our
    > family do, and I don't want this year to start something new.
    >
    > Stuffed celery - probably will use jarred pimento spread unless someone has
    > a tasty recipe
    >
    > Mixed nuts


    Sounds simple and good. :-)
    --
    Peace! Om

    "Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down."
    --Steve Rothstein

    Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
    [email protected]
    Subscribe: [email protected]

  8. #8
    Omelet Guest

    Default Re: Planning for Thanksgiving

    In article <[email protected]>,
    sf <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 18:23:53 -0500, "Cheryl" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Stuffed celery - probably will use jarred pimento spread unless someone has
    > >a tasty recipe

    >
    > I know I have a recipe for this somewhere... can't find it though.
    >
    > Chop up dried cranberries and nuts, mix with some cream cheese and use
    > that to stuff your celery sticks. OMG, it's sooo good!


    That does sound good! Looks like the pecans are going to be exceptional
    here this year. I may have to try that.
    --
    Peace! Om

    "Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down."
    --Steve Rothstein

    Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
    [email protected]
    Subscribe: [email protected]

  9. #9
    Cheryl Guest

    Default Re: Planning for Thanksgiving


    "Christine Dabney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    >
    > Here is the Pimento Cheese recipe I use. It is from James Villas and
    > his mother...
    >
    >
    > * Exported from MasterCook *
    >
    > Pimiento Cheese
    >
    > Recipe By :James Villas


    Cool! That's what I'm going to make along with sf's sweet savory one.


  10. #10
    Cheryl Guest

    Default Re: Planning for Thanksgiving


    "sf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..

    > Here's what I do, but I make it in smaller amounts.


    Thanks honey. I told my mom about this today when I visited and she
    practically drooled and said I should do all of the celery this way. LOL I
    want to try Chris D's pimento cheese too,


  11. #11
    Cheryl Guest

    Default Re: Planning for Thanksgiving


    "Gregory Morrow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news[email protected]..
    >> That does sound good. Maybe I'll do a few different kinds of spreads.

    >
    > And don't forget to *peel* that celery, Cheryl...


    Thanks. I was going to ask.


  12. #12
    Becca Guest

    Default Re: Planning for Thanksgiving

    sf wrote:
    > I know I have a recipe for this somewhere... can't find it though.
    >
    > Chop up dried cranberries and nuts, mix with some cream cheese and use
    > that to stuff your celery sticks. OMG, it's sooo good!


    You mentioned this last year, I tried it and it was a winner. Thanks, much.


    Becca

  13. #13
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Planning for Thanksgiving

    On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 08:57:51 -0600, Becca <[email protected]> wrote:

    >sf wrote:
    >> I know I have a recipe for this somewhere... can't find it though.
    >>
    >> Chop up dried cranberries and nuts, mix with some cream cheese and use
    >> that to stuff your celery sticks. OMG, it's sooo good!

    >
    >You mentioned this last year, I tried it and it was a winner. Thanks, much.
    >
    >

    Glad you liked it! Do you have the recipe? I never did find it. If
    you have it somewhere, would you please send it to me? Thanks!
    >Becca



    --
    I love cooking with wine.
    Sometimes I even put it in the food.

  14. #14
    Becca Guest

    Default Re: Planning for Thanksgiving

    sf wrote:
    > On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 08:57:51 -0600, Becca <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >
    >> sf wrote:
    >>
    >>> I know I have a recipe for this somewhere... can't find it though.
    >>>
    >>> Chop up dried cranberries and nuts, mix with some cream cheese and use
    >>> that to stuff your celery sticks. OMG, it's sooo good!
    >>>

    >> You mentioned this last year, I tried it and it was a winner. Thanks, much.
    >>
    >>
    >>

    > Glad you liked it! Do you have the recipe? I never did find it. If
    > you have it somewhere, would you please send it to me? Thanks!


    From what I recall, I used 8 oz cream cheese, 6 oz dried cranberries
    and I used 1 cup of chopped pecans. Maybe that will jog your memory. It
    was wonderful, and addictive.


    Becca


  15. #15
    Ravenlynne Guest

    Default Re: Planning for Thanksgiving

    Cheryl wrote:

    > Mom has made the menu for this year and I'm contributing the
    > following:
    >
    > Not your mama's green bean casserole - Alton Brown
    > http://tinyurl.com/y9jta44
    >
    > Mashed tators - she wanted to do creamy garlic mashed tators but I
    > talked her out of it. That's one thing I like plain with turkey.
    > Many of our family do, and I don't want this year to start something
    > new.
    >
    > Stuffed celery - probably will use jarred pimento spread unless
    > someone has a tasty recipe
    >
    > Mixed nuts


    I hate that I can't do the whole spread this year. Plans with friend
    fell through (they're driving up to Kaiserslautern Germany to pick up
    their new mini) so I suppose I"ll do my best to cook...movers are
    packing us this week and taking everything friday so I'll be down to
    what I borrow from Fleet and Family Services and foil pans :-|

    --


  16. #16
    whirled peas Guest

    Default Re: Planning for Thanksgiving

    Becca wrote:
    > sf wrote:
    >> On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 08:57:51 -0600, Becca <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>> sf wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> I know I have a recipe for this somewhere... can't find it though.
    >>>>
    >>>> Chop up dried cranberries and nuts, mix with some cream cheese and use
    >>>> that to stuff your celery sticks. OMG, it's sooo good!
    >>>>
    >>> You mentioned this last year, I tried it and it was a winner.
    >>> Thanks, much.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>

    >> Glad you liked it! Do you have the recipe? I never did find it. If
    >> you have it somewhere, would you please send it to me? Thanks!


    From the Google Groups archives:

    On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 19:03:39 -0800, sf wrote:
    > Pecan Cranberry Spread


    > 1/2 C cream cheese, softened
    > 1/4 C chopped pecans
    > 1/4 C of dried cranberries
    > 1/8 C orange juice concentrate


    > Using an electric mixer, beat at medium speed and cream the cream
    > cheese until soft and fluffy. Transfer to a small bowl, add remaining
    > ingredients and stir to combine. Cover with plastic wrap and
    > refrigerate until flavors blend, at least 30 minutes.


    Update: I threw the cranberries and toasted pecans in the food
    processor and made them a coarse grind. Combined the mixture with 8
    oz of softened cream cheese, more like 1/4 C of concentrate and
    stuffed celery with it. DEVINE! I'm doing it for the next holiday
    party I need to bring something to.

  17. #17
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Planning for Thanksgiving


    Thanks, WP!


    ==============

    On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 09:37:00 -0800, whirled peas <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > From the Google Groups archives:
    >
    >On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 19:03:39 -0800, sf wrote:
    > > Pecan Cranberry Spread

    >
    > > 1/2 C cream cheese, softened
    > > 1/4 C chopped pecans
    > > 1/4 C of dried cranberries
    > > 1/8 C orange juice concentrate

    >
    > > Using an electric mixer, beat at medium speed and cream the cream
    > > cheese until soft and fluffy. Transfer to a small bowl, add remaining
    > > ingredients and stir to combine. Cover with plastic wrap and
    > > refrigerate until flavors blend, at least 30 minutes.

    >
    >Update: I threw the cranberries and toasted pecans in the food
    >processor and made them a coarse grind. Combined the mixture with 8
    >oz of softened cream cheese, more like 1/4 C of concentrate and
    >stuffed celery with it. DEVINE! I'm doing it for the next holiday
    >party I need to bring something to.



    --
    I love cooking with wine.
    Sometimes I even put it in the food.

  18. #18
    whirled peas Guest

    Default Re: Planning for Thanksgiving

    sf wrote:
    > Thanks, WP!
    >
    >
    > ==============
    >
    > On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 09:37:00 -0800, whirled peas <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> From the Google Groups archives:
    >>
    >> On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 19:03:39 -0800, sf wrote:
    >>> Pecan Cranberry Spread


    Glad to help. I know how annoying it is to misplace things.

  19. #19
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Planning for Thanksgiving

    On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 10:46:32 -0800, whirled peas <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >sf wrote:
    >> Thanks, WP!
    >>
    >>
    >> ==============
    >>
    >> On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 09:37:00 -0800, whirled peas <[email protected]>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> From the Google Groups archives:
    >>>
    >>> On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 19:03:39 -0800, sf wrote:
    >>>> Pecan Cranberry Spread

    >
    >Glad to help. I know how annoying it is to misplace things.


    I didn't realize I posted that way back in 2005 - which was two dead
    hard drives ago. I finally got smart, thanks to sky constantly
    prodding me, and bought an external drive. Now that my current
    (tower) HD is not working, I haven't lost many if any recipes. I
    think I actually did a back up a couple of days before.

    So thanks again and thanks for your update too!

    --
    I love cooking with wine.
    Sometimes I even put it in the food.

  20. #20
    Becca Guest

    Default Re: Planning for Thanksgiving

    whirled peas wrote:
    > From the Google Groups archives:
    >
    > On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 19:03:39 -0800, sf wrote:
    > > Pecan Cranberry Spread

    >
    > > 1/2 C cream cheese, softened
    > > 1/4 C chopped pecans
    > > 1/4 C of dried cranberries
    > > 1/8 C orange juice concentrate

    >
    > > Using an electric mixer, beat at medium speed and cream the cream
    > > cheese until soft and fluffy. Transfer to a small bowl, add remaining
    > > ingredients and stir to combine. Cover with plastic wrap and
    > > refrigerate until flavors blend, at least 30 minutes.

    >
    > Update: I threw the cranberries and toasted pecans in the food
    > processor and made them a coarse grind. Combined the mixture with 8
    > oz of softened cream cheese, more like 1/4 C of concentrate and
    > stuffed celery with it. DEVINE! I'm doing it for the next holiday
    > party I need to bring something to.


    Thanks! I forgot all about the orange juice concentrate.


    Becca

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32