Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 103

Thread: Ping Kent

  1. #1
    John Smythe Guest

    Default Ping Kent

    http://www.grillstuff.com/gas-grill-...FQLt7QodhFLiJA

    More "Flavorizer" bars than you ever thought existed.

    Buy some and try them out. No, don't just ask what people think about
    them, ACTUALLY TRY them this time.



  2. #2
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: Ping Kent

    On Tue, 9 Aug 2011 07:47:07 -0400, John Smythe wrote:

    > http://www.grillstuff.com/gas-grill-...FQLt7QodhFLiJA
    >
    > More "Flavorizer" bars than you ever thought existed.
    >
    > Buy some and try them out. No, don't just ask what people think about
    > them, ACTUALLY TRY them this time.


    But which ones taste the best?

    -sw

  3. #3
    Dave Bugg Guest

    Default Re: Ping Kent

    Sqwertz wrote:
    > On Tue, 9 Aug 2011 07:47:07 -0400, John Smythe wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.grillstuff.com/gas-grill-...FQLt7QodhFLiJA
    >>
    >> More "Flavorizer" bars than you ever thought existed.
    >>
    >> Buy some and try them out. No, don't just ask what people think
    >> about them, ACTUALLY TRY them this time.

    >
    > But which ones taste the best?


    And which metals work best? Does the thickness of the metal make a
    difference? Which types brine best? Does the flavorizers work equally well
    with beef,chicken, or pork? Which type do you prefer? How do I install a
    flavorizer bar? Should I put in only one, or should I put them all in?

    --
    Dave
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion,
    butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance
    accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders,
    give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new
    problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight
    efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."......
    Robert Heinlein



  4. #4
    Cheryl Guest

    Default Re: Ping Kent

    On 8/9/2011 7:47 AM, John Smythe wrote:
    > http://www.grillstuff.com/gas-grill-...FQLt7QodhFLiJA
    >
    > More "Flavorizer" bars than you ever thought existed.
    >
    > Buy some and try them out. No, don't just ask what people think about
    > them, ACTUALLY TRY them this time.
    >
    >


    What does a flavorizer bar do? I looked at the link, and while I don't
    have a weber grill, they look just like the heat disperser thingies in
    my Char-broil.

    --
    Cheryl
    Come carpe diem baby - Metallica

  5. #5
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Ping Kent

    On Tue, 09 Aug 2011 21:22:37 -0400, Cheryl <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > On 8/9/2011 7:47 AM, John Smythe wrote:
    > > http://www.grillstuff.com/gas-grill-...FQLt7QodhFLiJA
    > >
    > > More "Flavorizer" bars than you ever thought existed.
    > >
    > > Buy some and try them out. No, don't just ask what people think about
    > > them, ACTUALLY TRY them this time.
    > >
    > >

    >
    > What does a flavorizer bar do? I looked at the link, and while I don't
    > have a weber grill, they look just like the heat disperser thingies in
    > my Char-broil.


    I don't even know what kind of grill it's used for. When I think
    "Weber" I think of charcoal first, not gas.

    --

    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.

  6. #6
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: Ping Kent

    On Tue, 09 Aug 2011 21:22:37 -0400, Cheryl wrote:

    > On 8/9/2011 7:47 AM, John Smythe wrote:
    >> http://www.grillstuff.com/gas-grill-...FQLt7QodhFLiJA
    >>
    >> More "Flavorizer" bars than you ever thought existed.
    >>
    >> Buy some and try them out. No, don't just ask what people think about
    >> them, ACTUALLY TRY them this time.
    >>
    >>

    >
    > What does a flavorizer bar do? I looked at the link, and while I don't
    > have a weber grill, they look just like the heat disperser thingies in
    > my Char-broil.


    Taht's exactly what they are. But the marketing types decided to call
    them "flavorizers" since grease drips on them and burns and creates
    smoke. They should call them "Cancer Causing Carcinogen Bars"
    instead.

    "Truth in Marketing" is an oxymoron.

    -sw

  7. #7
    George Leppla Guest

    Default Re: Ping Kent

    On 8/10/2011 1:57 AM, Sqwertz wrote:

    >> What does a flavorizer bar do? I looked at the link, and while I don't
    >> have a weber grill, they look just like the heat disperser thingies in
    >> my Char-broil.

    >
    > Taht's exactly what they are. But the marketing types decided to call
    > them "flavorizers" since grease drips on them and burns and creates
    > smoke. They should call them "Cancer Causing Carcinogen Bars"
    > instead.



    I've got a gas Weber with these bars in it and I like it. I always
    thought that the old "volcanic" stone fillers ("lava rocks" or
    briquettes) they used in grills like this were breeding grounds for
    bacteria and unless you turned up the heat high after cooking to burn
    off any grease, they stood a good chance of becoming rancid.

    The "flavor bars" are much cleaner.

    OK... now you can all line up to tell me how a gas grill is so horrible.
    Tough. I like the convenience and the ability to control the heat
    without constantly fiddling around with a fire.

    George L

  8. #8
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: Ping Kent

    On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 01:57:00 -0500, Sqwertz <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 09 Aug 2011 21:22:37 -0400, Cheryl wrote:
    >
    >> On 8/9/2011 7:47 AM, John Smythe wrote:
    >>> http://www.grillstuff.com/gas-grill-...FQLt7QodhFLiJA
    >>>
    >>> More "Flavorizer" bars than you ever thought existed.
    >>>
    >>> Buy some and try them out. No, don't just ask what people think about
    >>> them, ACTUALLY TRY them this time.
    >>>
    >>>

    >>
    >> What does a flavorizer bar do? I looked at the link, and while I don't
    >> have a weber grill, they look just like the heat disperser thingies in
    >> my Char-broil.

    >
    >Taht's exactly what they are. But the marketing types decided to call
    >them "flavorizers" since grease drips on them and burns and creates
    >smoke. They should call them "Cancer Causing Carcinogen Bars"
    >instead.
    >
    >"Truth in Marketing" is an oxymoron.


    Truth is sqwertz is a moroon.

    Flavorizer bars is just Weber terminology for what they include to
    accomplish the same effect of lava rocks... any smoker/roaster/frypan
    produces the same carcinogen.... it's much more healthful to consume
    only braised/stirfried meats.

  9. #9
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: Ping Kent

    On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 07:51:22 -0500, George Leppla
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On 8/10/2011 1:57 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
    >
    >>> What does a flavorizer bar do? I looked at the link, and while I don't
    >>> have a weber grill, they look just like the heat disperser thingies in
    >>> my Char-broil.

    >>
    >> Taht's exactly what they are. But the marketing types decided to call
    >> them "flavorizers" since grease drips on them and burns and creates
    >> smoke. They should call them "Cancer Causing Carcinogen Bars"
    >> instead.

    >
    >
    >I've got a gas Weber with these bars in it and I like it. I always
    >thought that the old "volcanic" stone fillers ("lava rocks" or
    >briquettes) they used in grills like this were breeding grounds for
    >bacteria and unless you turned up the heat high after cooking to burn
    >off any grease, they stood a good chance of becoming rancid.
    >
    >The "flavor bars" are much cleaner.


    Not really... every grill accumulates grease and soot over it's entire
    interior, especially the cooking grates... all grills should be
    cleaned regularly but not because of bacteria, normal cooking temps
    sterilize better than an autoclave.




  10. #10
    Lou Decruss Guest

    Default Re: Ping Kent

    On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 07:51:22 -0500, George Leppla
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On 8/10/2011 1:57 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
    >
    >>> What does a flavorizer bar do? I looked at the link, and while I don't
    >>> have a weber grill, they look just like the heat disperser thingies in
    >>> my Char-broil.

    >>
    >> Taht's exactly what they are. But the marketing types decided to call
    >> them "flavorizers" since grease drips on them and burns and creates
    >> smoke. They should call them "Cancer Causing Carcinogen Bars"
    >> instead.

    >
    >
    >I've got a gas Weber with these bars in it and I like it. I always
    >thought that the old "volcanic" stone fillers ("lava rocks" or
    >briquettes) they used in grills like this were breeding grounds for
    >bacteria and unless you turned up the heat high after cooking to burn
    >off any grease, they stood a good chance of becoming rancid.
    >
    >The "flavor bars" are much cleaner.
    >
    >OK... now you can all line up to tell me how a gas grill is so horrible.
    > Tough. I like the convenience and the ability to control the heat
    >without constantly fiddling around with a fire.


    Na. I have a nice big gas grill, two Weber kettles, and a good sized
    smoker. All have their uses.

    Lou

  11. #11
    George Leppla Guest

    Default Re: Ping Kent

    On 8/10/2011 8:48 AM, Lou Decruss wrote:
    >> >The "flavor bars" are much cleaner.
    >> >
    >> >OK... now you can all line up to tell me how a gas grill is so horrible.
    >> > Tough. I like the convenience and the ability to control the heat
    >> >without constantly fiddling around with a fire.

    > Na. I have a nice big gas grill, two Weber kettles, and a good sized
    > smoker. All have their uses.


    This past spring, I bought a Bradley Smoker.

    <Purists should stop reading now so your brains don't explode>

    It is electric and has feed that automatically feed hockey-puck sized
    discs of hardwoods onto a heating element that produces the smoke. Here
    is what it looks like:
    http://tinyurl.com/3upufsa

    Since it can hold 30 +/- pounds of meat at a time, I've only used it
    twice but I've done briskets, pork butts, pork chops, chickens and
    sausage. We fill it up, let it run and then portion and freeze the
    meat. I am really pleased with the results.

    George L

  12. #12
    Lou Decruss Guest

    Default Re: Ping Kent

    On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 09:02:19 -0500, George Leppla
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On 8/10/2011 8:48 AM, Lou Decruss wrote:
    >>> >The "flavor bars" are much cleaner.
    >>> >
    >>> >OK... now you can all line up to tell me how a gas grill is so horrible.
    >>> > Tough. I like the convenience and the ability to control the heat
    >>> >without constantly fiddling around with a fire.

    >> Na. I have a nice big gas grill, two Weber kettles, and a good sized
    >> smoker. All have their uses.

    >
    >This past spring, I bought a Bradley Smoker.
    >
    ><Purists should stop reading now so your brains don't explode>
    >
    >It is electric and has feed that automatically feed hockey-puck sized
    >discs of hardwoods onto a heating element that produces the smoke. Here
    >is what it looks like:
    >http://tinyurl.com/3upufsa
    >
    >Since it can hold 30 +/- pounds of meat at a time, I've only used it
    >twice but I've done briskets, pork butts, pork chops, chickens and
    >sausage. We fill it up, let it run and then portion and freeze the
    >meat. I am really pleased with the results.


    As long as you're happy that's all that matters. I use my gas grill
    for steaks and burgers. They cook so fast there's little benefit from
    doing it over wood or lump. I do know how to smoke the purist way but
    I don't get all religious about it.

    Lou

  13. #13
    ImStillMags Guest

    Default Re: Ping Kent

    On Aug 10, 5:51*am, George Leppla <geo...@cruisemaster.com> wrote:
    >
    > I've got a gas Weber with these bars in it and I like it. I always
    > thought that the old "volcanic" stone *fillers ("lava rocks" or
    > briquettes) *they used in grills like this were breeding grounds for
    > bacteria and unless you turned up the heat high after cooking to burn
    > off any grease, they stood a good chance of becoming rancid.


    I have an Aussie with the 'lava rocks'. I've had it for about 8 years
    not and they don't even make this model any more. Too bad for
    everyone else because I love them. I always turn my grill up on high
    for a few minutes after cooking to burn off any residue on the rocks
    and the cast iron grates. I like my gas grill because it heats up
    very quickly and you don't have to go start charcoal and wait for it
    if you are not making a large amount of anythig.


  14. #14
    Cheryl Guest

    Default Re: Ping Kent

    On 8/10/2011 2:52 PM, ImStillMags wrote:

    > On Aug 10, 5:51 am, George Leppla<geo...@cruisemaster.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> I've got a gas Weber with these bars in it and I like it. I always
    >> thought that the old "volcanic" stone fillers ("lava rocks" or
    >> briquettes) they used in grills like this were breeding grounds for
    >> bacteria and unless you turned up the heat high after cooking to burn
    >> off any grease, they stood a good chance of becoming rancid.

    >
    > I have an Aussie with the 'lava rocks'. I've had it for about 8 years
    > not and they don't even make this model any more. Too bad for
    > everyone else because I love them. I always turn my grill up on high
    > for a few minutes after cooking to burn off any residue on the rocks
    > and the cast iron grates. I like my gas grill because it heats up
    > very quickly and you don't have to go start charcoal and wait for it
    > if you are not making a large amount of anythig.
    >


    And you don't have to think about where to get rid of the ash. I
    remember well charcoal grills and wouldn't mind having one for some
    things, but I like the convenience of a gas grill. Especially when you
    have companies that will deliver and swap your empty tank for cheap.

    --
    Cheryl
    Come carpe diem baby - Metallica

  15. #15
    Lou Decruss Guest

    Default Re: Ping Kent

    On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 17:40:59 -0400, Cheryl <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >On 8/10/2011 2:52 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
    >
    >> On Aug 10, 5:51 am, George Leppla<geo...@cruisemaster.com> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I've got a gas Weber with these bars in it and I like it. I always
    >>> thought that the old "volcanic" stone fillers ("lava rocks" or
    >>> briquettes) they used in grills like this were breeding grounds for
    >>> bacteria and unless you turned up the heat high after cooking to burn
    >>> off any grease, they stood a good chance of becoming rancid.

    >>
    >> I have an Aussie with the 'lava rocks'. I've had it for about 8 years
    >> not and they don't even make this model any more. Too bad for
    >> everyone else because I love them. I always turn my grill up on high
    >> for a few minutes after cooking to burn off any residue on the rocks
    >> and the cast iron grates. I like my gas grill because it heats up
    >> very quickly and you don't have to go start charcoal and wait for it
    >> if you are not making a large amount of anythig.
    >>

    >
    >And you don't have to think about where to get rid of the ash. I
    >remember well charcoal grills and wouldn't mind having one for some
    >things, but I like the convenience of a gas grill. Especially when you
    >have companies that will deliver and swap your empty tank for cheap.


    How much is cheap? There's no companies around here that will come
    for a little tank like that.

    Lou

  16. #16
    ImStillMags Guest

    Default Re: Ping Kent

    On Aug 10, 6:03*pm, Lou Decruss <LouDecr...@biteme.com> wrote:

    > How much is cheap? *There's no companies around here that will come
    > for a little tank like that.



    yeah...really, I just throw mine in the trunk and go down to the gas
    station that has a propane refill.
    Very cheap and easy too.


  17. #17
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: Ping Kent

    On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 20:03:01 -0500, Lou Decruss
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 17:40:59 -0400, Cheryl <[email protected]>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On 8/10/2011 2:52 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Aug 10, 5:51 am, George Leppla<geo...@cruisemaster.com> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>> I've got a gas Weber with these bars in it and I like it. I always
    >>>> thought that the old "volcanic" stone fillers ("lava rocks" or
    >>>> briquettes) they used in grills like this were breeding grounds for
    >>>> bacteria and unless you turned up the heat high after cooking to burn
    >>>> off any grease, they stood a good chance of becoming rancid.
    >>>
    >>> I have an Aussie with the 'lava rocks'. I've had it for about 8 years
    >>> not and they don't even make this model any more. Too bad for
    >>> everyone else because I love them. I always turn my grill up on high
    >>> for a few minutes after cooking to burn off any residue on the rocks
    >>> and the cast iron grates. I like my gas grill because it heats up
    >>> very quickly and you don't have to go start charcoal and wait for it
    >>> if you are not making a large amount of anythig.
    >>>

    >>
    >>And you don't have to think about where to get rid of the ash. I
    >>remember well charcoal grills and wouldn't mind having one for some
    >>things, but I like the convenience of a gas grill. Especially when you
    >>have companies that will deliver and swap your empty tank for cheap.

    >
    >How much is cheap? There's no companies around here that will come
    >for a little tank like that.


    Size is relative. There are plenty of bottled gas companies that
    routinely swap 100 pound propane cylinders. My propane cylinder is
    500 gallons (heats my house, fuels my kitchen stove, and fuels my
    outdoor grill), the company comes with a bulk truck and refills it
    routinely. I don't know of any company around here that will come to
    ones house to swap 20 pound cylinders. However 20 pound cylinders
    seem to be sold just about everywhere nowadays; I've recently noticed
    a swap station pop up at two local gas stations, the local tractor
    dealer, the local hardware, and just a couple days ago a Blue Rhino
    thingie appeared at the local stupidmarket.
    http://www.bluerhino.com/BRWEB/

  18. #18
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: Ping Kent

    On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 18:45:35 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags wrote:

    > On Aug 10, 6:03*pm, Lou Decruss <LouDecr...@biteme.com> wrote:
    >
    >> How much is cheap? *There's no companies around here that will come
    >> for a little tank like that.

    >
    > yeah...really, I just throw mine in the trunk and go down to the gas
    > station that has a propane refill.
    > Very cheap and easy too.


    here the places just do an exchange. Our grocery store has their own
    refill/exchange program taht they refill themselves and give you 2
    extra gallons. And it's cheaper than Blue Rhino (which is 2 gallons
    less).

    -sw

  19. #19
    Kent Guest

    Default Re: Ping Kent


    "Lou Decruss" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 09:02:19 -0500, George Leppla
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>On 8/10/2011 8:48 AM, Lou Decruss wrote:
    >>>> >The "flavor bars" are much cleaner.
    >>>> >
    >>>> >OK... now you can all line up to tell me how a gas grill is so
    >>>> >horrible.
    >>>> > Tough. I like the convenience and the ability to control the
    >>>> > heat
    >>>> >without constantly fiddling around with a fire.
    >>> Na. I have a nice big gas grill, two Weber kettles, and a good sized
    >>> smoker. All have their uses.

    >>
    >>This past spring, I bought a Bradley Smoker.
    >>
    >><Purists should stop reading now so your brains don't explode>
    >>
    >>It is electric and has feed that automatically feed hockey-puck sized
    >>discs of hardwoods onto a heating element that produces the smoke. Here
    >>is what it looks like:
    >>http://tinyurl.com/3upufsa
    >>
    >>Since it can hold 30 +/- pounds of meat at a time, I've only used it
    >>twice but I've done briskets, pork butts, pork chops, chickens and
    >>sausage. We fill it up, let it run and then portion and freeze the
    >>meat. I am really pleased with the results.

    >
    > As long as you're happy that's all that matters. I use my gas grill
    > for steaks and burgers. They cook so fast there's little benefit from
    > doing it over wood or lump. I do know how to smoke the purist way but
    > I don't get all religious about it.
    >
    > Lou
    >
    >

    The propane gas grill does not get hot enough to sear a steak.

    Kent




  20. #20
    George Leppla Guest

    Default Re: Ping Kent

    On 8/11/2011 1:50 AM, Kent wrote:
    >> > As long as you're happy that's all that matters. I use my gas grill
    >> > for steaks and burgers. They cook so fast there's little benefit from
    >> > doing it over wood or lump. I do know how to smoke the purist way but
    >> > I don't get all religious about it.
    >> >
    >> > Lou
    >> >
    >> >

    > The propane gas grill does not get hot enough to sear a steak.


    Mine has a thermometer in the hood that goes to 600 degrees then there
    is room past that..... I am assuming the temperature on the grill itself
    is somewhat higher. I preheat the grill until the thermometer is pegged
    and that is enough heat to sear a steak.

    A local steakhouse says they sear steaks at 1800 degrees.... I'm
    thinking that is more hype than substance.

    George L

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32