Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Thread: Pickle Relish

  1. #1
    Becca Guest

    Default Pickle Relish

    Sweet Relish is everywhere, but "pickle relish" does not seem to exist
    anywhere on my store shelves. The jars may look identical, but they
    removed the word "pickle" and replaced it with the word "sweet." The
    ingredients are pickles and cauliflower.


    Everybody and their dog was shopping today. It is the Friday before a
    holiday, plus everyone got their SS, SSI or whatever checks come out at
    the first of the month. Somebody remind me to stay home next time, but
    I needed coconut to make the pie.


    Becca

  2. #2
    George Shirley Guest

    Default Re: Pickle Relish

    Becca wrote:
    > Sweet Relish is everywhere, but "pickle relish" does not seem to exist
    > anywhere on my store shelves. The jars may look identical, but they
    > removed the word "pickle" and replaced it with the word "sweet." The
    > ingredients are pickles and cauliflower.
    >
    >
    > Everybody and their dog was shopping today. It is the Friday before a
    > holiday, plus everyone got their SS, SSI or whatever checks come out at
    > the first of the month. Somebody remind me to stay home next time, but
    > I needed coconut to make the pie.
    >
    >
    > Becca

    Make your own Becca. When we couldn't get pickle relish working foreign
    I would buy pickles of the type that would make a good relish and then
    grind them to make my own relish.

    Failing that it is easy to make and preserve your own relish, using a
    large pot, etc. Lots of recipes on the internet but I like the ones at
    the UGA website:

    http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/publication...d_products.pdf

    and there are many other safe recipes on the site:

    http://www.uga.edu/nchfp

  3. #3
    Becca Guest

    Default Re: Pickle Relish

    George Shirley wrote:
    > Make your own Becca. When we couldn't get pickle relish working
    > foreign I would buy pickles of the type that would make a good relish
    > and then grind them to make my own relish.
    >
    > Failing that it is easy to make and preserve your own relish, using a
    > large pot, etc. Lots of recipes on the internet but I like the ones at
    > the UGA website:
    >
    > http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/publication...d_products.pdf
    >
    > and there are many other safe recipes on the site:
    >
    > http://www.uga.edu/nchfp


    George, it would be nice if I could make my own. My cucumbers sure are
    looking pitiful this year, and my yellow squash are blooming, but they
    are not producing. Maybe the female blooms are not out, yet. I know you
    have male blossoms for a couple of weeks, then you get the female
    blossoms. My eggplant, jalapeno, bell pepper and tomatoes look great,
    so they are surviving well in this 102 & 103 degree heat. You should
    see the birds playing in the sprinkler.


    Becca

  4. #4
    John Kuthe Guest

    Default Re: Pickle Relish

    On Jul 3, 5:58*pm, Becca <be...@hal-pc.org> wrote:
    > Sweet Relish is everywhere, but "pickle relish" does not seem to exist
    > anywhere on my store shelves. *The jars may look identical, but they
    > removed the word "pickle" and replaced it with the word "sweet." * The
    > ingredients are pickles and cauliflower.
    >
    > Everybody and their dog was shopping today. *It is the Friday before a
    > holiday, plus everyone got their SS, SSI or whatever checks come out at
    > the first of the month. *Somebody remind me to stay home next time, but
    > I needed coconut to make the pie.
    >
    > Becca


    Go to an Asian food store. They have all sorts of pickles.

    John Kuthe...

  5. #5
    Janet Wilder Guest

    Default Re: Pickle Relish

    Becca,

    Have you tried getting the main ingredients yourself? Pickle relish,
    IIRC, is mostly dill pickle. Get a jar of dill pickle chips and dice
    them up or whir them around in the food processor. Depending on the
    recipe, you'll probably need some sweet onions and some spices.

    I used to make sweet pickle relish for DH until I found a brand that
    uses Splenda instead of sugar.
    --
    Janet Wilder
    Way-the-heck-south Texas
    Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

  6. #6
    Omelet Guest

    Default Re: Pickle Relish

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Becca <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Sweet Relish is everywhere, but "pickle relish" does not seem to exist
    > anywhere on my store shelves. The jars may look identical, but they
    > removed the word "pickle" and replaced it with the word "sweet." The
    > ingredients are pickles and cauliflower.


    I get "Dill Relish".

    Another way to get around that is to take the pickles that you like
    (dill or sour) and just mince them up. I personally don't care for
    sweet relish.

    >
    >
    > Everybody and their dog was shopping today. It is the Friday before a
    > holiday, plus everyone got their SS, SSI or whatever checks come out at
    > the first of the month. Somebody remind me to stay home next time, but
    > I needed coconut to make the pie.
    >
    >
    > Becca


    <lol> I did my shopping yesterday mostly, just hit it again about 07:00
    to get some mustard and more corn for my sister. I also bought her a
    Brisket as they were $.87 per lb. and she had told me the day before
    that they were too broke to get any special foods for the 4th. :-(

    She's invited me to come over tomorrow night to relax and watch
    fireworks from there apt. I'm planning on doing ribs tomorrow along
    with some deviled eggs, so I'll probably take some of those over with me.
    --
    Peace! Om

    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.
    It's about learning to dance in the rain.
    -- Anon.

    [email protected]
    Subscribe: [email protected]

  7. #7
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: Pickle Relish

    On Fri, 03 Jul 2009 17:58:05 -0500, Becca wrote:

    > Sweet Relish is everywhere, but "pickle relish" does not seem to exist
    > anywhere on my store shelves. The jars may look identical, but they
    > removed the word "pickle" and replaced it with the word "sweet." The
    > ingredients are pickles and cauliflower.


    Here's labelled Dill Relish. Vlassic makes one, Mt Olive is
    another, and then there's a store brand as well.

    You could always just buy regular pickles and chop them up.
    You're 95% of the way there.

    -sw

  8. #8
    Wayne Boatwright Guest

    Default Re: Pickle Relish

    On Fri 03 Jul 2009 03:58:05p, Becca told us...

    > Sweet Relish is everywhere, but "pickle relish" does not seem to exist
    > anywhere on my store shelves. The jars may look identical, but they
    > removed the word "pickle" and replaced it with the word "sweet." The
    > ingredients are pickles and cauliflower.
    >
    >
    > Everybody and their dog was shopping today. It is the Friday before a
    > holiday, plus everyone got their SS, SSI or whatever checks come out at
    > the first of the month. Somebody remind me to stay home next time, but
    > I needed coconut to make the pie.
    >
    >
    > Becca
    >


    The "Vlasic Sweet Relish" I have in the refrigerator contains only cucumber
    as the vegetable.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Vegetables are the food of the earth; fruit seems more the food of
    the heavens. ~Sepal Felicivant




  9. #9
    Jean B. Guest

    Default Re: Pickle Relish

    Omelet wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > Becca <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Sweet Relish is everywhere, but "pickle relish" does not seem to exist
    >> anywhere on my store shelves. The jars may look identical, but they
    >> removed the word "pickle" and replaced it with the word "sweet." The
    >> ingredients are pickles and cauliflower.

    >
    > I get "Dill Relish".
    >
    > Another way to get around that is to take the pickles that you like
    > (dill or sour) and just mince them up. I personally don't care for
    > sweet relish.
    >
    >>
    >> Everybody and their dog was shopping today. It is the Friday before a
    >> holiday, plus everyone got their SS, SSI or whatever checks come out at
    >> the first of the month. Somebody remind me to stay home next time, but
    >> I needed coconut to make the pie.
    >>
    >>
    >> Becca

    >
    > <lol> I did my shopping yesterday mostly, just hit it again about 07:00
    > to get some mustard and more corn for my sister. I also bought her a
    > Brisket as they were $.87 per lb. and she had told me the day before
    > that they were too broke to get any special foods for the 4th. :-(
    >
    > She's invited me to come over tomorrow night to relax and watch
    > fireworks from there apt. I'm planning on doing ribs tomorrow along
    > with some deviled eggs, so I'll probably take some of those over with me.


    Same here. I now can't find any dill relish that doesn't contain
    food coloring. If they want to make them more yellow, why don't
    they use turmeric?

    --
    Jean B.

  10. #10
    Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig Guest

    Default Re: Pickle Relish


    >
    > The "Vlasic Sweet Relish" I have in the refrigerator contains only cucumber
    > as the vegetable.
    >
    > --
    > * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Wayne Boatwright * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
    > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > * *Vegetables are the food of the earth; fruit seems more the food of*
    > * * * * * * * * * * the heavens. *~Sepal Felicivant* * * * * * * * * *


    Same for Claussen and Gedney - with a little bit of sweet red bell
    pepper. I miss "sweet mixed pickles" - cukes, cauliflower, carrots,
    peppers and pearl onions. I used to add yellow mustard and doctor em
    up to make "sweet mustard pickles". Wonderful with "New England Boiled
    Dinner" - corned beef & cabbage.

    Can't find those sweet mixed pickles anywhere around here - even in
    our Bosnian store which has pickled EVERYTHING! I even tried
    substituting "giardinera" and mustard. Do not do this. :-P
    Lynn in Fargo

  11. #11
    Omelet Guest

    Default Re: Pickle Relish

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Jean B." <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Same here. I now can't find any dill relish that doesn't contain
    > food coloring. If they want to make them more yellow, why don't
    > they use turmeric?


    Because they are fidiots? <g>
    --
    Peace! Om

    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.
    It's about learning to dance in the rain.
    -- Anon.

    [email protected]
    Subscribe: [email protected]

  12. #12
    Nancy2 Guest

    Default Re: Pickle Relish

    On Jul 3, 5:58 pm, Becca <be...@hal-pc.org> wrote:
    > Sweet Relish is everywhere, but "pickle relish" does not seem to exist
    > anywhere on my store shelves. The jars may look identical, but they
    > removed the word "pickle" and replaced it with the word "sweet." The
    > ingredients are pickles and cauliflower.
    >
    > Everybody and their dog was shopping today. It is the Friday before a
    > holiday, plus everyone got their SS, SSI or whatever checks come out at
    > the first of the month. Somebody remind me to stay home next time, but
    > I needed coconut to make the pie.
    >
    > Becca


    My store has sweet pickle relish and dill relish. Your area must be
    having whopping numbers of picnics.... ;-)

    N.

  13. #13
    Becca Guest

    Default Re: Pickle Relish

    Janet Wilder wrote:
    > Becca,
    >
    > Have you tried getting the main ingredients yourself? Pickle relish,
    > IIRC, is mostly dill pickle. Get a jar of dill pickle chips and dice
    > them up or whir them around in the food processor. Depending on the
    > recipe, you'll probably need some sweet onions and some spices.
    >
    > I used to make sweet pickle relish for DH until I found a brand that
    > uses Splenda instead of sugar.


    Janet, I found Mt. Olive sugar-free relish, but the store was sold out.
    I like their sugar free bread & butter pickles, so I bought those.


    Becca

  14. #14
    Becca Guest

    Default Re: Pickle Relish

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    > On Fri 03 Jul 2009 03:58:05p, Becca told us...
    >
    >
    >> Sweet Relish is everywhere, but "pickle relish" does not seem to exist
    >> anywhere on my store shelves. The jars may look identical, but they
    >> removed the word "pickle" and replaced it with the word "sweet." The
    >> ingredients are pickles and cauliflower.
    >>
    >>
    >> Everybody and their dog was shopping today. It is the Friday before a
    >> holiday, plus everyone got their SS, SSI or whatever checks come out at
    >> the first of the month. Somebody remind me to stay home next time, but
    >> I needed coconut to make the pie.
    >>
    >>
    >> Becca
    >>
    >>

    >
    > The "Vlasic Sweet Relish" I have in the refrigerator contains only cucumber
    > as the vegetable.



    Doh! I never thought to look in the refrigerated section for pickle
    relish, thanks for mentioning that, Wayne.


    Becca

  15. #15
    Janet Wilder Guest

    Default Re: Pickle Relish

    Becca wrote:
    > Janet Wilder wrote:
    >> Becca,
    >>
    >> Have you tried getting the main ingredients yourself? Pickle relish,
    >> IIRC, is mostly dill pickle. Get a jar of dill pickle chips and dice
    >> them up or whir them around in the food processor. Depending on the
    >> recipe, you'll probably need some sweet onions and some spices.
    >>
    >> I used to make sweet pickle relish for DH until I found a brand that
    >> uses Splenda instead of sugar.

    >
    > Janet, I found Mt. Olive sugar-free relish, but the store was sold out.
    > I like their sugar free bread & butter pickles, so I bought those.
    >
    > Becca


    Becca,

    Mt. Olive is the brand is I use. We had hot dogs for dinner last night
    and I put some of that relish on mine. I don't have to watch my sugar
    consumption, but I prefer Splenda to HFCS. Probably the lesser of the
    two evils <g>

    --
    Janet Wilder
    Way-the-heck-south Texas
    Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

  16. #16
    brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: Pickle Relish


    "Janet Wilder" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:004cc727$0$15351$[email protected]..
    > Becca wrote:
    >> Janet Wilder wrote:
    >>> Becca,
    >>>
    >>> Have you tried getting the main ingredients yourself? Pickle relish,
    >>> IIRC, is mostly dill pickle. Get a jar of dill pickle chips and dice
    >>> them up or whir them around in the food processor. Depending on the
    >>> recipe, you'll probably need some sweet onions and some spices.
    >>>
    >>> I used to make sweet pickle relish for DH until I found a brand that
    >>> uses Splenda instead of sugar.

    >>
    >> Janet, I found Mt. Olive sugar-free relish, but the store was sold out.
    >> I like their sugar free bread & butter pickles, so I bought those.
    >>
    >> Becca

    >
    > Becca,
    >
    > Mt. Olive is the brand is I use. We had hot dogs for dinner last night and
    > I put some of that relish on mine. I don't have to watch my sugar
    > consumption, but I prefer Splenda to HFCS. Probably the lesser of the two
    > evils <g>
    >
    >

    Pickled doesn't automatically mean cucumbers, far from it... anything can be
    pickled... from pigs knuckles, to watermelon rinds, to eggs. Most pickle
    relish does indeed contain cauliflower because cukes on their own are too
    wet. I love pickled olives, they're good with gin and vermouth... I don't
    want any cukes in my 2ni.



  17. #17
    cybercat Guest

    Default Re: Pickle Relish


    "Janet Wilder" <[email protected]> wrote
    > Mt. Olive is the brand is I use.


    Yay!~ Support local NC growers!



  18. #18
    Melba's Jammin' Guest

    Default Re: Pickle Relish

    In article <PZQ4m.2819$[email protected]>,
    "brooklyn1" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > wet. I love pickled olives, they're good with gin and vermouth... I don't
    > want any cukes in my 2ni.


    True, true, but I wouldn't mind a pickle spear in a Bloody Mary. That'd
    be good.
    --
    -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
    http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
    -Philo of Alexandria

  19. #19
    Wayne Boatwright Guest

    Default Re: Pickle Relish

    On Tue 07 Jul 2009 02:38:54p, Becca told us...

    > Wayne Boatwright wrote:


    >> The "Vlasic Sweet Relish" I have in the refrigerator contains only
    >> cucumber as the vegetable.

    >
    >
    > Doh! I never thought to look in the refrigerated section for pickle
    > relish, thanks for mentioning that, Wayne.
    >
    >
    > Becca


    Actually, Becca, I wasn't referring to the pickle relish in the refrigerated
    section, although I think it's excellent. It doesn't have a long shelf life
    in the frige. I was referring to Vlasic's Sweet Relish in the regular
    pickles and condiments aisle. What I buy only contains cucumbers.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Chili represents your three stages of matter: solid, liquid, and
    eventually gas. ~Roseanne, "Don't Make Me Over," May 1992, spoken
    by character Dan Conner




  20. #20
    brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: Pickle Relish


    "Melba's Jammin'" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > In article <PZQ4m.2819$[email protected]>,
    > "brooklyn1" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> wet. I love pickled olives, they're good with gin and vermouth... I
    >> don't
    >> want any cukes in my 2ni.

    >
    > True, true, but I wouldn't mind a pickle spear in a Bloody Mary. That'd
    > be good.
    >

    Yes, a crunchy spear of half sour would be better than the usual celery
    stick. I don't care much for the typical jarred pickle relish. But I do
    like hot dog relish (mix of mustard and pickle relish) on a tube steak. And
    anything pickled on a burger is an abomination... I suppose pickles came
    into use to mask the wretch n' stench of mystery meat boogers.





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32