Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35

Thread: Pecan pie gripes

  1. #1
    Christopher M. Guest

    Default Pecan pie gripes

    I don't know why people add chocolate to pecan pie. What's the point of
    eating a pecan pie that tastes like chocolate? Why not just eat chocolate?

    Today I had another piece of pecan pie that had cranberries. The cranberries
    make it more attractive, but that's about it. A waste of money.


    W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)



  2. #2
    ImStillMags Guest

    Default Re: Pecan pie gripes

    On Nov 14, 7:47*pm, "Christopher M." <nospam_flibb...@floo.com> wrote:
    > I don't know why people add chocolate to pecan pie. What's the point of
    > eating a pecan pie that tastes like chocolate? Why not just eat chocolate?
    >
    > Today I had another piece of pecan pie that had cranberries. The cranberries
    > make it more attractive, but that's about it. A waste of money.
    >
    > W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)


    There is one pecan and chocolate pie unlike any other.....it's a
    Kentucky Derby Pie....it is heaven in
    a pie crust.

    http://hizzoners.com/southern-comfor...ucky-derby-pie

  3. #3
    dsi1 Guest

    Default Re: Pecan pie gripes

    On 11/14/2011 5:50 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
    > On Nov 14, 7:47 pm, "Christopher M."<nospam_flibb...@floo.com> wrote:
    >> I don't know why people add chocolate to pecan pie. What's the point of
    >> eating a pecan pie that tastes like chocolate? Why not just eat chocolate?
    >>
    >> Today I had another piece of pecan pie that had cranberries. The cranberries
    >> make it more attractive, but that's about it. A waste of money.
    >>
    >> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

    >
    > There is one pecan and chocolate pie unlike any other.....it's a
    > Kentucky Derby Pie....it is heaven in
    > a pie crust.
    >
    > http://hizzoners.com/southern-comfor...ucky-derby-pie


    I have enough pecans for one more pie. I may just go for this. Go for
    broke. I'll have to leave out the bourbon and the Karo syrup. There's no
    booze in the house and I don't like the gooey results that comes with
    the addition of a large amount of corn syrup. I suppose I can add a
    dollop of syrup to suppress the sugar crystallization. Thanks!

  4. #4
    BillyZoom Guest

    Default Re: Pecan pie gripes

    On Nov 14, 11:14*pm, dsi1 <d...@usenet-news.net> wrote:
    > On 11/14/2011 5:50 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
    >
    > > On Nov 14, 7:47 pm, "Christopher M."<nospam_flibb...@floo.com> *wrote:
    > >> I don't know why people add chocolate to pecan pie. What's the point of
    > >> eating a pecan pie that tastes like chocolate? Why not just eat chocolate?

    >
    > >> Today I had another piece of pecan pie that had cranberries. The cranberries
    > >> make it more attractive, but that's about it. A waste of money.

    >
    > >> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

    >
    > > There is one pecan and chocolate pie unlike any other.....it's a
    > > Kentucky Derby Pie....it is heaven in
    > > a pie crust.

    >
    > >http://hizzoners.com/southern-comfor...s/68-kentucky-...

    >
    > I have enough pecans for one more pie. I may just go for this. Go for
    > broke. I'll have to leave out the bourbon and the Karo syrup. There's no
    > booze in the house and I don't like the gooey results that comes with
    > the addition of a large amount of corn syrup. I suppose I can add a
    > dollop of syrup to suppress the sugar crystallization. Thanks!


    No booze in the house? We do have these things we call "stores".
    Unless you're one of THOSE people.

  5. #5
    dsi1 Guest

    Default Re: Pecan pie gripes

    On 11/14/2011 6:21 PM, BillyZoom wrote:
    > On Nov 14, 11:14 pm, dsi1<d...@usenet-news.net> wrote:
    >> On 11/14/2011 5:50 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Nov 14, 7:47 pm, "Christopher M."<nospam_flibb...@floo.com> wrote:
    >>>> I don't know why people add chocolate to pecan pie. What's the point of
    >>>> eating a pecan pie that tastes like chocolate? Why not just eat chocolate?

    >>
    >>>> Today I had another piece of pecan pie that had cranberries. The cranberries
    >>>> make it more attractive, but that's about it. A waste of money.

    >>
    >>>> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

    >>
    >>> There is one pecan and chocolate pie unlike any other.....it's a
    >>> Kentucky Derby Pie....it is heaven in
    >>> a pie crust.

    >>
    >>> http://hizzoners.com/southern-comfor...s/68-kentucky-...

    >>
    >> I have enough pecans for one more pie. I may just go for this. Go for
    >> broke. I'll have to leave out the bourbon and the Karo syrup. There's no
    >> booze in the house and I don't like the gooey results that comes with
    >> the addition of a large amount of corn syrup. I suppose I can add a
    >> dollop of syrup to suppress the sugar crystallization. Thanks!

    >
    > No booze in the house? We do have these things we call "stores".
    > Unless you're one of THOSE people.


    Do you have a personal relationship with the Lord? (-:

    Oh Christ, looks like I am one of those peoples! Sorry about that!

  6. #6
    Christopher M. Guest

    Default Re: Pecan pie gripes

    ImStillMags wrote:
    > On Nov 14, 7:47 pm, "Christopher M." <nospam_flibb...@floo.com> wrote:
    >> I don't know why people add chocolate to pecan pie. What's the point
    >> of eating a pecan pie that tastes like chocolate? Why not just eat
    >> chocolate?
    >>
    >> Today I had another piece of pecan pie that had cranberries. The
    >> cranberries make it more attractive, but that's about it. A waste of
    >> money.
    >>
    >> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

    >
    > There is one pecan and chocolate pie unlike any other.....it's a
    > Kentucky Derby Pie....it is heaven in
    > a pie crust.
    >
    > http://hizzoners.com/southern-comfor...ucky-derby-pie


    Maybe I'll make that for Christmas. Thanks.


    W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)



  7. #7
    Cindy Fuller Guest

    Default Re: Pecan pie gripes

    In article <j9snd3$ti1$[email protected]>,
    "Christopher M." <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I don't know why people add chocolate to pecan pie. What's the point of
    > eating a pecan pie that tastes like chocolate? Why not just eat chocolate?
    >
    > Today I had another piece of pecan pie that had cranberries. The cranberries
    > make it more attractive, but that's about it. A waste of money.
    >
    >
    > W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)


    I enjoyed the cranberry-pecan pie I made several years ago. It was less
    cloying than straight pecan pie. Over the weekend I tried a pecan pie
    that used brown sugar rather than corn syrup as the sweetener. It
    wasn't bad.

    Cindy

    --
    C.J. Fuller

    Delete the obvious to email me

  8. #8
    Julie Bove Guest

    Default Re: Pecan pie gripes


    "Christopher M." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:j9snd3$ti1$[email protected]..
    >I don't know why people add chocolate to pecan pie. What's the point of
    >eating a pecan pie that tastes like chocolate? Why not just eat chocolate?
    >
    > Today I had another piece of pecan pie that had cranberries. The
    > cranberries make it more attractive, but that's about it. A waste of
    > money.


    I didn't know that chocolate was commonly added to pecan pie. In fact the
    only time I ever had it that way was when I made it that way. And I liked
    it.



  9. #9
    Polly Esther Guest

    Default Re: Pecan pie gripes


    "dsi1" >
    > Do you have a personal relationship with the Lord? (-:
    >
    > Oh Christ, looks like I am one of those peoples! Sorry about that!


    I have a personal relationship with the Lord. I don't think He particularly
    cares if you add bourbon to your pecan pie or shoe polish if you are so
    inclined. If we just might, just this once stay on subject without hateful
    snipes, I'd love to read anybody's special touches to a great pecan pie.
    Last feast, I got our pie to what I hoped was perfectly baked, turned
    the oven off and let it sort of cook for about 15 more minutes. That went
    really well.
    Isn't it just awful when you cut into a pecan pie and it sort of oozes -
    or - worse yet, has a gummy pastry? Polly


  10. #10
    [email protected] Guest

    Default Re: Pecan pie gripes

    On Nov 14, 10:50*pm, ImStillMags <sitara8...@gmail.com> wrote:
    > On Nov 14, 7:47*pm, "Christopher M." <nospam_flibb...@floo.com> wrote:
    >
    > > I don't know why people add chocolate to pecan pie. What's the point of
    > > eating a pecan pie that tastes like chocolate? Why not just eat chocolate?

    >
    > > Today I had another piece of pecan pie that had cranberries. The cranberries
    > > make it more attractive, but that's about it. A waste of money.

    >
    > > W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

    >
    > There is one pecan and chocolate pie unlike any other.....it's a
    > Kentucky Derby Pie....it is heaven in
    > a pie crust.
    >
    > http://hizzoners.com/southern-comfor...s/68-kentucky-...


    Derby pie is made with walnuts, not pecans.

  11. #11
    dsi1 Guest

    Default Re: Pecan pie gripes

    On 11/14/2011 7:20 PM, Polly Esther wrote:
    >
    > "dsi1" >
    >> Do you have a personal relationship with the Lord? (-:
    >>
    >> Oh Christ, looks like I am one of those peoples! Sorry about that!

    >
    > I have a personal relationship with the Lord. I don't think He
    > particularly cares if you add bourbon to your pecan pie or shoe polish
    > if you are so inclined. If we just might, just this once stay on subject
    > without hateful snipes, I'd love to read anybody's special touches to a
    > great pecan pie.
    > Last feast, I got our pie to what I hoped was perfectly baked, turned
    > the oven off and let it sort of cook for about 15 more minutes. That
    > went really well.
    > Isn't it just awful when you cut into a pecan pie and it sort of oozes -
    > or - worse yet, has a gummy pastry? Polly


    One word - bacon.

    My suggestion is that you ditch the corn syrup and find a recipe without
    the goo. Fer instance:

    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/pecan-pie-v/detail.aspx

  12. #12
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Pecan pie gripes

    On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 22:47:07 -0500, "Christopher M."
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I don't know why people add chocolate to pecan pie. What's the point of
    > eating a pecan pie that tastes like chocolate? Why not just eat chocolate?
    >

    Chocolate, why do that? Try adding a tablespoon or so of Kahlua...
    that is awesome.

    > Today I had another piece of pecan pie that had cranberries. The cranberries
    > make it more attractive, but that's about it. A waste of money.
    >


    Sounds disgusting.

    --
    All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

  13. #13
    ImStillMags Guest

    Default Re: Pecan pie gripes

    On Nov 14, 8:14*pm, dsi1 <d...@usenet-news.net> wrote:
    > On 11/14/2011 5:50 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
    >
    > > On Nov 14, 7:47 pm, "Christopher M."<nospam_flibb...@floo.com> *wrote:
    > >> I don't know why people add chocolate to pecan pie. What's the point of
    > >> eating a pecan pie that tastes like chocolate? Why not just eat chocolate?

    >
    > >> Today I had another piece of pecan pie that had cranberries. The cranberries
    > >> make it more attractive, but that's about it. A waste of money.

    >
    > >> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

    >
    > > There is one pecan and chocolate pie unlike any other.....it's a
    > > Kentucky Derby Pie....it is heaven in
    > > a pie crust.

    >
    > >http://hizzoners.com/southern-comfor...s/68-kentucky-...

    >
    > I have enough pecans for one more pie. I may just go for this. Go for
    > broke. I'll have to leave out the bourbon and the Karo syrup. There's no
    > booze in the house and I don't like the gooey results that comes with
    > the addition of a large amount of corn syrup. I suppose I can add a
    > dollop of syrup to suppress the sugar crystallization. Thanks!


    If you leave out the booze and the Karo it is no longer KY derby
    pie. You will have an ordinary chocolate pie with pecans in it.
    This particular pie is NOT gooey with the syrup.


  14. #14
    ImStillMags Guest

    Default Re: Pecan pie gripes

    On Nov 14, 9:29*pm, "djs0...@aol.com" <djs0...@aol.com> wrote:
    > On Nov 14, 10:50*pm, ImStillMags <sitara8...@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > > On Nov 14, 7:47*pm, "Christopher M." <nospam_flibb...@floo.com> wrote:

    >
    > > > I don't know why people add chocolate to pecan pie. What's the point of
    > > > eating a pecan pie that tastes like chocolate? Why not just eat chocolate?

    >
    > > > Today I had another piece of pecan pie that had cranberries. The cranberries
    > > > make it more attractive, but that's about it. A waste of money.

    >
    > > > W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

    >
    > > There is one pecan and chocolate pie unlike any other.....it's a
    > > Kentucky Derby Pie....it is heaven in
    > > a pie crust.

    >
    > >http://hizzoners.com/southern-comfor...s/68-kentucky-...

    >
    > Derby pie is made with walnuts, not pecans.


    Um....no. Real Derby pie is made with pecans. Ask anyone in
    Louisville KY.


  15. #15
    Janet Wilder Guest

    Default Re: Pecan pie gripes

    On 11/14/2011 11:31 PM, dsi1 wrote:
    > On 11/14/2011 7:20 PM, Polly Esther wrote:
    >>
    >> "dsi1" >
    >>> Do you have a personal relationship with the Lord? (-:
    >>>
    >>> Oh Christ, looks like I am one of those peoples! Sorry about that!

    >>
    >> I have a personal relationship with the Lord. I don't think He
    >> particularly cares if you add bourbon to your pecan pie or shoe polish
    >> if you are so inclined. If we just might, just this once stay on subject
    >> without hateful snipes, I'd love to read anybody's special touches to a
    >> great pecan pie.
    >> Last feast, I got our pie to what I hoped was perfectly baked, turned
    >> the oven off and let it sort of cook for about 15 more minutes. That
    >> went really well.
    >> Isn't it just awful when you cut into a pecan pie and it sort of oozes -
    >> or - worse yet, has a gummy pastry? Polly

    >
    > One word - bacon.
    >
    > My suggestion is that you ditch the corn syrup and find a recipe without
    > the goo. Fer instance:
    >
    > http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/pecan-pie-v/detail.aspx


    This is awesome! I am going to try it with Splenda white and Splenda
    brown (which has some real sugar in it) I'm wondering if it would hold
    up on a crust made of almond meal and butter? No sense saving carbs on
    the filling when the crust is so carb-laden.

    --
    Janet Wilder
    Way-the-heck-south Texas
    Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

  16. #16
    Boron Elgar Guest

    Default Re: Pecan pie gripes

    On Tue, 15 Nov 2011 06:45:34 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Nov 14, 9:29*pm, "djs0...@aol.com" <djs0...@aol.com> wrote:
    >> On Nov 14, 10:50*pm, ImStillMags <sitara8...@gmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> > On Nov 14, 7:47*pm, "Christopher M." <nospam_flibb...@floo.com> wrote:

    >>
    >> > > I don't know why people add chocolate to pecan pie. What's the point of
    >> > > eating a pecan pie that tastes like chocolate? Why not just eat chocolate?

    >>
    >> > > Today I had another piece of pecan pie that had cranberries. The cranberries
    >> > > make it more attractive, but that's about it. A waste of money.

    >>
    >> > > W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

    >>
    >> > There is one pecan and chocolate pie unlike any other.....it's a
    >> > Kentucky Derby Pie....it is heaven in
    >> > a pie crust.

    >>
    >> >http://hizzoners.com/southern-comfor...s/68-kentucky-...

    >>
    >> Derby pie is made with walnuts, not pecans.

    >
    >Um....no. Real Derby pie is made with pecans. Ask anyone in
    >Louisville KY.



    Last year, the NYT printed this recipe: for Rye Pecan Pie. It was an
    incredible presentation.

    http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/201...01117-pie.html

    November 16, 2010
    NYT


    Time: 2 hours, plus chilling

    FOR THE CRUST:

    2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

    1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt

    1 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar

    1/2 pound cold unsalted butter, cut into dice

    1/2 cup ice water, more as needed

    About 5 cups dried beans (for baking)

    FOR THE FILLING:

    5 eggs

    1 1/4 cups light brown sugar

    6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

    1/3 cup molasses, dark or unsulfured

    1/3 cup light corn syrup

    2 teaspoons vanilla extract

    1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

    3 tablespoons rye or bourbon, not more than 90 proof

    2 cups finely chopped pecans

    2 1/2 cups pecan halves

    Whipped cream, for serving.

    1. Make the crust: In a mixer fitted with paddle attachment, combine
    flour, salt and white sugar at low speed. Add butter and mix until
    pea-size lumps form. Raise the speed to medium-low and add 1/2 cup ice
    water in a slow, steady stream, mixing just until dough holds
    together. To test, pinch a small amount of dough. If it is crumbly,
    add more ice water, one tablespoon at a time. Shape dough into a ball
    and wrap it loosely in plastic, then roll it into a disk. Refrigerate
    at least one hour, or up to 3 days, before rolling. (Dough can be
    frozen for up to a month.)

    2. Open a 10-inch springform pan, flip the bottom over so the outside
    surface faces in, then close. This will make removing the pie easier
    when it is done, by preventing the dough from sinking into the panís
    crease. On a lightly floured surface, roll chilled dough into a circle
    16 inches in diameter. Lift it and let it settle into pan, fitting the
    dough down into the edges. Press the sides firmly against pan and
    pinch around the top rim. Trim dough with kitchen scissors so it hangs
    over the rim by one inch, reserving excess. Refrigerate in pan until
    very cold and firm, at least 45 minutes.

    3. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Prick bottom of dough with a fork. Lay a
    piece of parchment or wax paper in pan, then a piece of aluminum foil.
    Fill foil lining with dried beans to top of pan. Bake 15 to 25
    minutes, until the sides of the crust have set and turned a light
    golden brown. Remove from oven and lift out the beans, foil and
    parchment. Patch any holes with reserved dough, pressing firmly. Bake
    10 to 15 minutes more, until golden brown. Let cool at least 30
    minutes before filling.

    4. Fill the pie: Heat oven to 325 degrees. In a bowl, whisk together
    the eggs, brown sugar, melted butter, molasses, corn syrup, vanilla,
    salt and rye or bourbon. Place baked pie shell, still in the pan, on a
    sheet pan. Gently pour in the filling. Sprinkle chopped pecans evenly
    over surface. Working from outside in, arrange pecan halves in
    concentric circles, without overlapping, until entire surface is
    covered. (Use only as many as needed.)

    5. Bake 50 to 60 minutes, just until filling is firm and a wooden
    skewer comes out clean when inserted into center. (Do not worry if the
    overhanging crust becomes very dark brown.) Let cool completely. Use a
    serrated knife to saw off all overhanging pie crust. Carefully remove
    outer ring of pan. Slice with a large, very sharp knife and serve with
    whipped cream.

    Yield: About 12 servings.


  17. #17
    Nancy2 Guest

    Default Re: Pecan pie gripes

    On Nov 14, 10:21*pm, BillyZoom <medav...@gmail.com> wrote:
    > On Nov 14, 11:14*pm, dsi1 <d...@usenet-news.net> wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > > On 11/14/2011 5:50 PM, ImStillMags wrote:

    >
    > > > On Nov 14, 7:47 pm, "Christopher M."<nospam_flibb...@floo.com> *wrote:
    > > >> I don't know why people add chocolate to pecan pie. What's the pointof
    > > >> eating a pecan pie that tastes like chocolate? Why not just eat chocolate?

    >
    > > >> Today I had another piece of pecan pie that had cranberries. The cranberries
    > > >> make it more attractive, but that's about it. A waste of money.

    >
    > > >> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

    >
    > > > There is one pecan and chocolate pie unlike any other.....it's a
    > > > Kentucky Derby Pie....it is heaven in
    > > > a pie crust.

    >
    > > >http://hizzoners.com/southern-comfor...s/68-kentucky-....

    >
    > > I have enough pecans for one more pie. I may just go for this. Go for
    > > broke. I'll have to leave out the bourbon and the Karo syrup. There's no
    > > booze in the house and I don't like the gooey results that comes with
    > > the addition of a large amount of corn syrup. I suppose I can add a
    > > dollop of syrup to suppress the sugar crystallization. Thanks!

    >
    > No booze in the house? We do have these things we call "stores".
    > Unless you're one of THOSE people.- Hide quoted text -
    >
    > - Show quoted text -


    I usually don't have exotic kinds of booze in the house - not that
    bourbon is exotic - but when I need some kind of brandy or liqueur, I
    get those little "sample" bottles at the liquor store. That way,
    there isn't a big bottle hanging around getting old....

    N.

  18. #18
    Janet Bostwick Guest

    Default Re: Pecan pie gripes

    On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 22:47:07 -0500, "Christopher M."
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I don't know why people add chocolate to pecan pie. What's the point of
    >eating a pecan pie that tastes like chocolate? Why not just eat chocolate?
    >
    >Today I had another piece of pecan pie that had cranberries. The cranberries
    >make it more attractive, but that's about it. A waste of money.
    >
    >
    >W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)
    >

    I'm with you. Some things are meant to be what they are. Don't mess
    up the family expectations for Thanksgiving dinner with a
    non-traditional pecan pie. It would be better to have a regular
    cherry pie or peach pie or even cake.
    Janet US

  19. #19
    dsi1 Guest

    Default Re: Pecan pie gripes

    On Nov 15, 5:48*am, Janet Wilder <kelliepoo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > On 11/14/2011 11:31 PM, dsi1 wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > > On 11/14/2011 7:20 PM, Polly Esther wrote:

    >
    > >> "dsi1" >
    > >>> Do you have a personal relationship with the Lord? (-:

    >
    > >>> Oh Christ, looks like I am one of those peoples! Sorry about that!

    >
    > >> I have a personal relationship with the Lord. I don't think He
    > >> particularly cares if you add bourbon to your pecan pie or shoe polish
    > >> if you are so inclined. If we just might, just this once stay on subject
    > >> without hateful snipes, I'd love to read anybody's special touches to a
    > >> great pecan pie.
    > >> Last feast, I got our pie to what I hoped was perfectly baked, turned
    > >> the oven off and let it sort of cook for about 15 more minutes. That
    > >> went really well.
    > >> Isn't it just awful when you cut into a pecan pie and it sort of oozes-
    > >> or - worse yet, has a gummy pastry? Polly

    >
    > > One word - bacon.

    >
    > > My suggestion is that you ditch the corn syrup and find a recipe without
    > > the goo. Fer instance:

    >
    > >http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/pecan-pie-v/detail.aspx

    >
    > This is awesome! *I am going to try it with Splenda white and Splenda
    > brown (which has some real sugar in it) *I'm wondering if it would hold
    > up on a crust made of almond meal and butter? *No sense saving carbs on
    > the filling when the crust is so carb-laden.
    >
    > --
    > Janet Wilder
    > Way-the-heck-south Texas
    > Spelling doesn't count. *Cooking does.


    Interesting idea. I think you could make a pie from Splenda but you'd
    have to bulk the filling up somehow. Adding another egg is what I'd do
    for a start. That's just what I'd try. Splenda brown sugar blend is an
    interesting product. Good luck!

  20. #20
    dsi1 Guest

    Default Re: Pecan pie gripes

    On Nov 15, 4:44*am, ImStillMags <sitara8...@gmail.com> wrote:
    > On Nov 14, 8:14*pm, dsi1 <d...@usenet-news.net> wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > > On 11/14/2011 5:50 PM, ImStillMags wrote:

    >
    > > > On Nov 14, 7:47 pm, "Christopher M."<nospam_flibb...@floo.com> *wrote:
    > > >> I don't know why people add chocolate to pecan pie. What's the pointof
    > > >> eating a pecan pie that tastes like chocolate? Why not just eat chocolate?

    >
    > > >> Today I had another piece of pecan pie that had cranberries. The cranberries
    > > >> make it more attractive, but that's about it. A waste of money.

    >
    > > >> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

    >
    > > > There is one pecan and chocolate pie unlike any other.....it's a
    > > > Kentucky Derby Pie....it is heaven in
    > > > a pie crust.

    >
    > > >http://hizzoners.com/southern-comfor...s/68-kentucky-....

    >
    > > I have enough pecans for one more pie. I may just go for this. Go for
    > > broke. I'll have to leave out the bourbon and the Karo syrup. There's no
    > > booze in the house and I don't like the gooey results that comes with
    > > the addition of a large amount of corn syrup. I suppose I can add a
    > > dollop of syrup to suppress the sugar crystallization. Thanks!

    >
    > If you leave out the booze and the Karo it is no longer KY derby
    > pie. * You will have an ordinary chocolate pie with pecans in it.
    > This particular pie is NOT gooey with the syrup.


    This is why I never use the name of cities or states for food. Too
    limiting. Pecan pie with chocolate chips seems a good, generic
    description. You're not committing yourself to any ingredient, except
    pecans and chips. Other than that, the sky's wide open.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32