Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Passover Matza Lasagna?

  1. #1
    Andy Guest

    Default Passover Matza Lasagna?

    Passover Matza Lasagna?

    Is that OK?

    Great success story!

    Andy

  2. #2
    Andy Guest

    Default Re: Passover Matza Lasagna?

    I made some sort of hoomespun matza lasagna.

    It was another one of my "Dreaming Up Disaster" efforts.

    What the heck. I ate it!!!

    How was I supposed to know?????

    Andy

  3. #3
    Zeppo Guest

    Default Re: Passover Matza Lasagna?


    "Andy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]..
    > I made some sort of hoomespun matza lasagna.
    >
    > It was another one of my "Dreaming Up Disaster" efforts.
    >
    > What the heck. I ate it!!!
    >
    > How was I supposed to know?????
    >
    > Andy


    I remember making one several years ago from an on-line recipe that was
    pretty bad.

    I've found that most things that you use matzo for to emulate other foods
    are pretty disappointing, the worst being the packaged mixes. Did you ever
    try the 'Passover bagel' mixes? Just awful.

    With the thousands of foods available to us, it shouldn't be that hard to
    get through 8 days without bread and pasta.

    Jon



  4. #4
    Andy Guest

    Default Re: Passover Matza Lasagna?

    "Zeppo" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >
    > "Andy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]..
    >> I made some sort of hoomespun matza lasagna.
    >>
    >> It was another one of my "Dreaming Up Disaster" efforts.
    >>
    >> What the heck. I ate it!!!
    >>
    >> How was I supposed to know?????
    >>
    >> Andy

    >
    > I remember making one several years ago from an on-line recipe that
    > was pretty bad.
    >
    > I've found that most things that you use matzo for to emulate other
    > foods are pretty disappointing, the worst being the packaged mixes.
    > Did you ever try the 'Passover bagel' mixes? Just awful.
    >
    > With the thousands of foods available to us, it shouldn't be that hard
    > to get through 8 days without bread and pasta.
    >
    > Jon



    That reminds me of an old girlfriend. Tried her best to try making flan.
    I've had flan. You've had flan. We've all had flan. She called me into
    the kitchen for a taste. It looked nothing like flan. It was more like
    scrambled eggs. I took a taste and spit it out. She couldn't stop
    laughing. I cried "if you knew it sucked why did you make me try it??" I
    was surprised she didn't faint from laughter!!!

    Andy


  5. #5
    brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: Passover Matza Lasagna?

    "Zeppo" wrote:
    >"Andy" <[email protected]> wrote
    >> I made some sort of hoomespun matza lasagna.
    >> It was another one of my "Dreaming Up Disaster" efforts.
    >> What the heck. I ate it!!!
    >> How was I supposed to know?????

    >
    >I remember making one several years ago from an on-line recipe that was
    >pretty bad.
    >
    >I've found that most things that you use matzo for to emulate other foods
    >are pretty disappointing, the worst being the packaged mixes. Did you ever
    >try the 'Passover bagel' mixes? Just awful.


    Something labeled "Passover Bagel Mix" was never intended for purchase
    by observant Jews, it's something observant Jews sell to goyim for an
    outrageous price.... goyim thinking (goys can't really think) that
    since bagels are Jewish then Passover bagels must be the best bagels.

    >With the thousands of foods available to us, it shouldn't be that hard to
    >get through 8 days without bread and pasta.


    Why no pasta for Passover... observant Jews eat more pasta during
    Passover than any other time of the year. You obviously can't cook a
    lick and you know nothing about Judaism... maybe you should move to
    South Afrika.

    http://www.manischewitz.com/products/index.php






  6. #6
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Passover Matza Lasagna?

    On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 07:57:10 -0500, Andy <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Passover Matza Lasagna?
    >
    > Is that OK?
    >
    > Great success story!
    >

    I saw a recipe for matzo-granola on Martha Stewart today. There was
    a side note on Jewish dietary practice that explained why the recipe
    calls for margarine and not butter.
    http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/matzo-granola


    --
    Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

  7. #7
    James Silverton Guest

    Default Re: Passover Matza Lasagna?

    sf wrote on Mon, 29 Mar 2010 14:43:09 -0700:

    >> Passover Matza Lasagna?
    >>
    >> Is that OK?
    >>
    >> Great success story!
    >>

    > I saw a recipe for matzo-granola on Martha Stewart today.
    > There was a side note on Jewish dietary practice that
    > explained why the recipe calls for margarine and not butter.
    > http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/matzo-granola


    Forget the rabbinical rules, why did Jews go to a new batch of yeast at
    Passover? The sourdough doesn't get dangerous does it, unlike shellfish
    in the Palestine summer and I won't discuss the eating habits of pigs.

    --

    James Silverton
    Potomac, Maryland

    Email, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not


  8. #8
    Andy Guest

    Default Re: Passover Matza Lasagna?

    "James Silverton" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > sf wrote on Mon, 29 Mar 2010 14:43:09 -0700:
    >
    >>> Passover Matza Lasagna?
    >>>
    >>> Is that OK?
    >>>
    >>> Great success story!
    >>>

    >> I saw a recipe for matzo-granola on Martha Stewart today.
    >> There was a side note on Jewish dietary practice that
    >> explained why the recipe calls for margarine and not butter.
    >> http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/matzo-granola

    >
    > Forget the rabbinical rules, why did Jews go to a new batch of yeast at
    > Passover? The sourdough doesn't get dangerous does it, unlike shellfish
    > in the Palestine summer and I won't discuss the eating habits of pigs.



    Rabbi and Priest walking together down a crowded city street.

    Priest: "Rabbi, have you ever had ham?" Rabbi answers "Why yes, yes I
    have! It was very good!"

    A few blocks later the Rabbi asks "Priest, have you ever had sex?" Priest
    answers "Why yes, yes I have. It was great!"

    Rabbi asks "Better than ham??"

    ))

    Andy
    I've got Irish jokes!!

  9. #9
    Ostap S. B. M. Bender Jr. Guest

    Default Re: Passover Matza Lasagna?

    On Mar 29, 11:04*am, brooklyn1 <gravesen...@verizon.net> wrote:
    > "Zeppo" wrote:
    > >"Andy" <a...@b.c> wrote
    > >> I made some sort of hoomespun matza lasagna.
    > >> It was another one of my "Dreaming Up Disaster" efforts.
    > >> What the heck. I ate it!!!
    > >> How was I supposed to know?????

    >
    > >I remember making one several years ago from an on-line recipe that was
    > >pretty bad.

    >
    > >I've found that most things that you use matzo for to emulate other foods
    > >are pretty disappointing, the worst being the packaged mixes. Did you ever
    > >try the 'Passover bagel' mixes? Just awful.

    >
    > Something labeled "Passover Bagel Mix" was never intended for purchase
    > by observant Jews, it's something observant Jews sell to goyim for an
    > outrageous price.... goyim thinking (goys can't really think) that
    > since bagels are Jewish then Passover bagels must be the best bagels.
    >
    > >With the thousands of foods available to us, it shouldn't be that hard to
    > >get through 8 days without bread and pasta.

    >
    > Why no pasta for Passover... observant Jews eat more pasta during
    > Passover than any other time of the year. *You obviously can't cook a
    > lick and you know nothing about Judaism... maybe you should move to
    > South Afrika.


    Of course, non-ignorant Jews know that South Africa has had a large
    Jewish community:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History...n_South_Africa

  10. #10
    Ranée at Arabian Knits Guest

    Default Re: Passover Matza Lasagna?

    In article <hor7f4$pfo$[email protected]>,
    "James Silverton" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Forget the rabbinical rules, why did Jews go to a new batch of yeast at
    > Passover? The sourdough doesn't get dangerous does it, unlike shellfish
    > in the Palestine summer and I won't discuss the eating habits of pigs.


    i'll let an actual Jew give the real reason, but I'm assuming it is
    because they are supposed to clean out all yeast and other leaven, so
    they don't have it any more.

    Regards,
    Ranee @ Arabian Knits

    "She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." Prov 31:13

    http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

  11. #11
    Arri London Guest

    Default Re: Passover Matza Lasagna?



    Andy wrote:
    >
    > Passover Matza Lasagna?
    >
    > Is that OK?
    >
    > Great success story!
    >
    > Andy


    If there's no meat or pasta in it, it's fine. Jeffrey Nathan had one on
    a PBS show. Looked OK, considering.

  12. #12
    Arri London Guest

    Default Re: Passover Matza Lasagna?



    sf wrote:
    >
    > On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 07:57:10 -0500, Andy <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Passover Matza Lasagna?
    > >
    > > Is that OK?
    > >
    > > Great success story!
    > >

    > I saw a recipe for matzo-granola on Martha Stewart today. There was
    > a side note on Jewish dietary practice that explained why the recipe
    > calls for margarine and not butter.
    > http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/matzo-granola
    >


    That almost looked edible!

    TMU made a pot of chicken soup in the slow cooker overnight. She made
    matzo balls to put in it. We took the lot (slow cooker and all) to the
    beading class we go to on Mondays. Was amazed at how many people had
    never had chicken soup with matzo balls! One of the maintenance chaps
    came by and took a bowl. He left the room for a few minutes and returned
    with two colleagues LOL. Trouble is, the three of them finished off the
    dumplings

    A good time was had by all. Someone else brought a very good
    chocolate/coconut cake.

  13. #13
    Andy Guest

    Default Re: Passover Matza Lasagna?

    Arri London <[email protected]> wrote:

    >
    >
    > Andy wrote:
    >>
    >> Passover Matza Lasagna?
    >>
    >> Is that OK?
    >>
    >> Great success story!
    >>
    >> Andy

    >
    > If there's no meat or pasta in it, it's fine. Jeffrey Nathan had one on
    > a PBS show. Looked OK, considering.



    Arri,

    Maybe that's where I got the idea!?!

    I might have actually single handedly saved the world by not writing down
    the recipe. ))

    Best,

    Andy

  14. #14
    Janet Wilder Guest

    Default Re: Passover Matza Lasagna?

    brooklyn1 wrote:
    > "Zeppo" wrote:
    >> "Andy" <[email protected]> wrote
    >>> I made some sort of hoomespun matza lasagna.
    >>> It was another one of my "Dreaming Up Disaster" efforts.
    >>> What the heck. I ate it!!!
    >>> How was I supposed to know?????

    >> I remember making one several years ago from an on-line recipe that was
    >> pretty bad.
    >>
    >> I've found that most things that you use matzo for to emulate other foods
    >> are pretty disappointing, the worst being the packaged mixes. Did you ever
    >> try the 'Passover bagel' mixes? Just awful.

    >
    > Something labeled "Passover Bagel Mix" was never intended for purchase
    > by observant Jews, it's something observant Jews sell to goyim for an
    > outrageous price.... goyim thinking (goys can't really think) that
    > since bagels are Jewish then Passover bagels must be the best bagels.
    >
    >> With the thousands of foods available to us, it shouldn't be that hard to
    >> get through 8 days without bread and pasta.

    >
    > Why no pasta for Passover... observant Jews eat more pasta during
    > Passover than any other time of the year. You obviously can't cook a
    > lick and you know nothing about Judaism... maybe you should move to
    > South Afrika.
    >
    > http://www.manischewitz.com/products/index.php



    Observant Jews do *NOT* eat pasta on Passover. Pasta is chametz, a
    product that is considered "leaven" and prohibited. The food that is the
    most consumed is probably potatoes and eggs. Everything needs eggs.

    I have seen kosher for Passover noodles that are made of matzo meal, but
    I've never tasted them. I do remember making Passover "spaghetti" as a
    kid by rolling little bits of a matzo meal based dough into strands. It
    was awful!

    I'm just back from our community seder and there wasn't a noodle in the
    place.


    --
    Janet Wilder
    Way-the-heck-south Texas
    Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

  15. #15
    Janet Wilder Guest

    Default Re: Passover Matza Lasagna?

    Andy wrote:
    > Passover Matza Lasagna?
    >
    > Is that OK?
    >
    > Great success story!
    >


    Here ya go, Andy!


    * Exported from MasterCook *

    Eggplant Matzo Lasagna

    Recipe By :Leslye Michlin Borden, Cooking Light , MARCH 1995
    Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Vegetables Vegetarian

    Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    3 cups mushrooms -- sliced
    3 garlic cloves -- crushed
    1/4 cup parsley -- chopped fresh
    1/4 cup dry red wine
    1 teaspoon basil -- dried
    1 teaspoon oregano -- dried
    1/4 teaspoon red pepper -- crushed
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    28 ounces tomato puré
    1 1/4 pounds eggplant -- (about 1 1/4 pounds) peeled and cut
    into 1/2-inch slices
    Vegetable cooking spray
    6 tablespoons Parmesan cheese -- grated; divided
    15 ounces nonfat ricotta cheese
    3 slices American matzo

    Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and garlic;
    sauté 5 minutes. Stir in parsley, wine, basil, oregano, peppers, and
    puré. Partially cover, reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 30 minutes.
    Remove from heat.

    Arrange the eggplant slices in a single layer on a baking sheet coated
    with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes, turning the slices over
    after 15 minutes. Remove from baking sheet, and let cool. Cut the
    eggplant slices into 1/2-inch pieces, and set aside.

    Combine 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and ricotta cheese; stir well, and set
    aside.

    Spread 1/2 cup tomato mixture in the bottom of an 11 x 7-inch baking
    dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange 1 1/2 slices matzo over tomato
    mixture, and top matzo with half of ricotta cheese mixture, half of
    eggplant, and half of tomato mixture. Repeat the layers, ending with the
    tomato mixture. Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese.

    Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 15
    minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

    Cuisine:
    "Passover"
    Source:
    "myrecipes.com"
    S(URL):

    "http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=23 7623"

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -





    --
    Janet Wilder
    Way-the-heck-south Texas
    Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

  16. #16
    brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: Passover Matza Lasagna?

    On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 16:28:25 -0700 (PDT), "Ostap S. B. M. Bender Jr."
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Mar 29, 11:04*am, brooklyn1 <gravesen...@verizon.net> wrote:
    >> "Zeppo" wrote:
    >> >"Andy" <a...@b.c> wrote
    >> >> I made some sort of hoomespun matza lasagna.
    >> >> It was another one of my "Dreaming Up Disaster" efforts.
    >> >> What the heck. I ate it!!!
    >> >> How was I supposed to know?????

    >>
    >> >I remember making one several years ago from an on-line recipe that was
    >> >pretty bad.

    >>
    >> >I've found that most things that you use matzo for to emulate other foods
    >> >are pretty disappointing, the worst being the packaged mixes. Did you ever
    >> >try the 'Passover bagel' mixes? Just awful.

    >>
    >> Something labeled "Passover Bagel Mix" was never intended for purchase
    >> by observant Jews, it's something observant Jews sell to goyim for an
    >> outrageous price.... goyim thinking (goys can't really think) that
    >> since bagels are Jewish then Passover bagels must be the best bagels.
    >>
    >> >With the thousands of foods available to us, it shouldn't be that hard to
    >> >get through 8 days without bread and pasta.

    >>
    >> Why no pasta for Passover... observant Jews eat more pasta during
    >> Passover than any other time of the year. *You obviously can't cook a
    >> lick and you know nothing about Judaism... maybe you should move to
    >> South Afrika.

    >
    >Of course, non-ignorant Jews know that South Africa has had a large
    >Jewish community:


    You haven't been reading the stupid survey threads.

  17. #17
    brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: Passover Matza Lasagna?

    On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 22:05:35 -0500, Janet Wilder
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >brooklyn1 wrote:
    >> "Zeppo" wrote:
    >>> "Andy" <[email protected]> wrote
    >>>> I made some sort of hoomespun matza lasagna.
    >>>> It was another one of my "Dreaming Up Disaster" efforts.
    >>>> What the heck. I ate it!!!
    >>>> How was I supposed to know?????
    >>> I remember making one several years ago from an on-line recipe that was
    >>> pretty bad.
    >>>
    >>> I've found that most things that you use matzo for to emulate other foods
    >>> are pretty disappointing, the worst being the packaged mixes. Did you ever
    >>> try the 'Passover bagel' mixes? Just awful.

    >>
    >> Something labeled "Passover Bagel Mix" was never intended for purchase
    >> by observant Jews, it's something observant Jews sell to goyim for an
    >> outrageous price.... goyim thinking (goys can't really think) that
    >> since bagels are Jewish then Passover bagels must be the best bagels.
    >>
    >>> With the thousands of foods available to us, it shouldn't be that hard to
    >>> get through 8 days without bread and pasta.

    >>
    >> Why no pasta for Passover... observant Jews eat more pasta during
    >> Passover than any other time of the year. You obviously can't cook a
    >> lick and you know nothing about Judaism... maybe you should move to
    >> South Afrika.
    >>
    >> http://www.manischewitz.com/products/index.php

    >
    >
    >Observant Jews do *NOT* eat pasta on Passover.


    So you think Manischewitz hasn't a clue... you're truly an idiot.


  18. #18
    blake murphy Guest

    Default Re: Passover Matza Lasagna?

    On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 12:08:41 -0500, Andy wrote:

    > "Zeppo" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> "Andy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]..
    >>> I made some sort of hoomespun matza lasagna.
    >>>
    >>> It was another one of my "Dreaming Up Disaster" efforts.
    >>>
    >>> What the heck. I ate it!!!
    >>>
    >>> How was I supposed to know?????
    >>>
    >>> Andy

    >>
    >> I remember making one several years ago from an on-line recipe that
    >> was pretty bad.
    >>
    >> I've found that most things that you use matzo for to emulate other
    >> foods are pretty disappointing, the worst being the packaged mixes.
    >> Did you ever try the 'Passover bagel' mixes? Just awful.
    >>
    >> With the thousands of foods available to us, it shouldn't be that hard
    >> to get through 8 days without bread and pasta.
    >>
    >> Jon

    >
    > That reminds me of an old girlfriend. Tried her best to try making flan.
    > I've had flan. You've had flan. We've all had flan. She called me into
    > the kitchen for a taste. It looked nothing like flan. It was more like
    > scrambled eggs. I took a taste and spit it out. She couldn't stop
    > laughing. I cried "if you knew it sucked why did you make me try it??" I
    > was surprised she didn't faint from laughter!!!
    >
    > Andy


    i guess people enjoy tormenting you because you're stupid.

    blake

  19. #19
    blake murphy Guest

    Default Re: Passover Matza Lasagna?

    On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 14:04:07 -0400, brooklyn1 wrote:

    > "Zeppo" wrote:
    >>"Andy" <[email protected]> wrote
    >>> I made some sort of hoomespun matza lasagna.
    >>> It was another one of my "Dreaming Up Disaster" efforts.
    >>> What the heck. I ate it!!!
    >>> How was I supposed to know?????

    >>
    >>I remember making one several years ago from an on-line recipe that was
    >>pretty bad.
    >>
    >>I've found that most things that you use matzo for to emulate other foods
    >>are pretty disappointing, the worst being the packaged mixes. Did you ever
    >>try the 'Passover bagel' mixes? Just awful.

    >
    > Something labeled "Passover Bagel Mix" was never intended for purchase
    > by observant Jews, it's something observant Jews sell to goyim for an
    > outrageous price.... goyim thinking (goys can't really think)


    as opposed to rebbe sheldon, one of the deepest thinkers of our time...

    blake

  20. #20
    blake murphy Guest

    Default Re: Passover Matza Lasagna?

    On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 22:05:35 -0500, Janet Wilder wrote:

    > brooklyn1 wrote:
    >> "Zeppo" wrote:
    >>> "Andy" <[email protected]> wrote
    >>>> I made some sort of hoomespun matza lasagna.
    >>>> It was another one of my "Dreaming Up Disaster" efforts.
    >>>> What the heck. I ate it!!!
    >>>> How was I supposed to know?????
    >>> I remember making one several years ago from an on-line recipe that was
    >>> pretty bad.
    >>>
    >>> I've found that most things that you use matzo for to emulate other foods
    >>> are pretty disappointing, the worst being the packaged mixes. Did you ever
    >>> try the 'Passover bagel' mixes? Just awful.

    >>
    >> Something labeled "Passover Bagel Mix" was never intended for purchase
    >> by observant Jews, it's something observant Jews sell to goyim for an
    >> outrageous price.... goyim thinking (goys can't really think) that
    >> since bagels are Jewish then Passover bagels must be the best bagels.
    >>
    >>> With the thousands of foods available to us, it shouldn't be that hard to
    >>> get through 8 days without bread and pasta.

    >>
    >> Why no pasta for Passover... observant Jews eat more pasta during
    >> Passover than any other time of the year. You obviously can't cook a
    >> lick and you know nothing about Judaism... maybe you should move to
    >> South Afrika.
    >>
    >> http://www.manischewitz.com/products/index.php

    >
    > Observant Jews do *NOT* eat pasta on Passover. Pasta is chametz, a
    > product that is considered "leaven" and prohibited. The food that is the
    > most consumed is probably potatoes and eggs. Everything needs eggs.
    >
    > I have seen kosher for Passover noodles that are made of matzo meal, but
    > I've never tasted them. I do remember making Passover "spaghetti" as a
    > kid by rolling little bits of a matzo meal based dough into strands. It
    > was awful!
    >
    > I'm just back from our community seder and there wasn't a noodle in the
    > place.


    sheldon knows as much about judaism as he knows about everything else.

    your pal,
    blake

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32